Technology fads

Rydia

Throwing rocks at emo kids
Veteran
Gil
Inspired by the thread in the Sleeping Forest!

For many people, cell phones have become accessories. When they new model is out, they are out buying it even if their last phone is less than six months old. I have a few friends from work that do this, and they do not exactly have the money.

So, when new technology comes out, do you have to have it?

For me I can wait. I recently just got a flip phone, an upgrade from the brick XD.

Also I don't need the newest computer, video game console, games (I wait till they come way down in price XD), computer, watch, and whatever else is out there. It also took me a very long time to completely switch to DVDs. I figured the VHS player worked just fine.

Pretty much I hate spending a lot of money. So I wait till things become cheaper.

Reactions: Shu
I don't really get into technology fads. I'm not just going to go out and buy something because everyone else has one or is getting one. If it's something I think I'll like then I'll probably wait until the price drops or it goes on special.

I've never been one to go out and buy a new gaming console when it first comes out. They are way overpriced. I just wait around until the price drops and then buy it, like I did with my PS3 and 360. I have more than enough games to keep me busy so it's not like I have to have a system when it first comes out.

And now that I have a PS3, I still don't have any Blue Rays. They're just way to expensive. I'll stick with DVDs for now. (y)

I love gadgets though i wouldnt say that its like a fad to me. If theres something i want and i can afford it then il buy it, usally i buy it even if i cant afford it anyway ¬_¬
Half the time with fancy things like android phones/iphones etc the novelty wears off after a couple of weeks. I upgraded to an iphone 4 a few months ago and i do love it but app wise i barely use it at all anymore. The fun of apps wears off quick. I do however use it for my music all the time. Ive alwyas had an ipod so getting the iphone means i have one less item in my pocket now.
In the end all you really need a fone for is texts and calls >_>

Nah. I don't need the newest latest and greatest. My phone has minimal: texting, talk, camera, pitiful excuse for the internet (if I need to check a movie time). Other than that, I don't need all those fancy gadgets and shit I'm not gonna pay for. As for my computer, well, that's a little different. While I stick with one I know is going to last me at least a couple of years with real nice specs that I know will perform well enough to do what I want it to do, I'm not racing out to buy the new HP dv7 just because Dr. Dre can make some badass beats on it (or the latest Mac, for that matter).

I usually don't buy anything new until the price goes down. What I do buy is video games and that's about all unless I find something I really like. Technology is great but it's not a fad for me or my family lol

I'm one of those people who love reading up on the latest must-have gadgets be it on the internet or in a magazine. Yet I very rarely ever go out to buy them just as they come out, if ever. A huge majority of these latest "must-haves" are bound to be bank-breaking with really high price tags (*ahem* Hello, Apple products) and I would kick myself if I were to buy something in one year while it is brand new only to see it drop by about £100 in the next. I know people who like queuing up for the latest releases of something, be it a game or a games console. They wait on the streets for hours in the cold in anticipation for the store opening up in the middle of the night to one of the first buyers. I admire their determination to do that, but it's wholly unnecessary when I can perhaps walk into the same shop months later without queuing and buy it for a more friendly price. But power to them. I'm still in no hurry to change to Blu-Ray at all when only a few years ago we've finally started to switch to DVDs from VHS. xD

Would it be nice to get the newest thing? Yeah, sure. But, do I really honestly need it? Naaah.

I'm a pretty broke person so, I have to watch how I spend my money xD. I hardly ever have money to begin with and usually, I don't spend it on the newest technology I spend it more on things that are really needed. Like food or clothes you know, the everyday things xD.

Things are just waaaay too expensive and over-priced i'd much rather wait for it to drop, or have a sale on that particular item.

If I had the money, why the fuck not? But sadly, I do not. :sad3:

I cant live without my phone etc, but id never be out after the latest gadget as soon as it hit the shelves, ive only just upgraded from a m onstrosity of a phone because it was a present

Cameras, if i had the money though, blimey, id probably piss it up the wall, i love camers <3

My pc works, so that will do me until it dies for good. im in no rush to spend millions on some fancy new one

My tv i hate, ive had it about 5 years now, and its a 42 inch monstrosity, which i plan on changing after xmas, i think il go abit smaller and get summat Full HD, Ive seen a few nice sales on, so thats more doing the upgrading because i can get one cheap, otherwise, i just wouldnt bother, il endure this one for as long as i have to.. though i do plan on hitting the post xmas sales

i cant seem to help getting the consoles... i think thats just old habits. if there is one, and i want it, il have a been in my bonnet til i have it, regardless of whether i use it

I'm poor. :mokken: So I wait until my stuff is on the brink of dying before I buy something new. And even if I can't afford something new then I'll just try and fix it. My laptop died and to fix it (new hard drive and then a week later, a new lcd screen) cost me 300$. Probly for double that I coulda gotten a nice cheap new laptop that's a little better in specs than my current one which is a couple years old.

Even still I waited until my first laptop DIED before I bought this one.

My ipod is about.. 5 or 6 years old. 3rd Gen I think. :hmmm: It's starting to crap out on me so I might start to save and invest in an ipod touch, or an iphone since I don't have a cell phone.

Considering how much this stuff costs when it's brand new, half the time the answer to this is no, I don't need to have it - I have yet to buy a console on the release date, anyway (this may change with the 3DS, although given what else is coming out that month, I doubt it) - and I'm not one of those people who is constantly upgrading their phone: hell, my phone is hardly ever switched on.

But...I DO frequently buy gadgets I don't need. I upgraded my 360 to a Slim, I have THREE iPods (the latest being a 32GB touch I bought just because I felt like it at the time...) and I get horrible urges to buy other things I don't need. I have an inferiority complex when it comes to technology - I never got any of this stuff when I was younger, and it felt like everyone around me did. Now I have the money to get it, I have to fight from buying it just to have it. Its really quite irritating.

I buy a lot of games on launch day though, whether I need them or not. Does that count?

Not really because I don't keep up with the latest gadgets, mainly because I can't afford them. I already have a pretty swish laptop and a phone which is a piece of crap but it does the job. My iPod is on it's last legs but still... it does what it needs to. The only thing I might be on look out for gadget wise would be some banging speakers for the room. :ryan:

Things like an iPhone would be nice I suppose but the iPad for example... I don't see the point. I love Apple products but I really don't care for it. It's not a laptop, and it's not an iPhone. What the hell am I going to use it for?

Things are just waaaay too expensive and over-priced i'd much rather wait for it to drop, or have a sale on that particular item.

I do the same. after a couple of months sometime you can get an 1/3 or even 1/2 price drop from the original price. I don't really need the new gadget or the newest version of a product the moment they comes out.

The only exception for me is video games a gaming consoles. I bought my PS3 in 2006 (or maybe early 2007) and paid over 700$ for it. I think it didn't worth that price since there was only a few games available at that time. The only good thing about the early PS3 is that you can play PS2 games on it. I also buy the games that I think will be good (especially RPGs) as soon as they comes out.

My cell phone is very basic and i don't rally care about intelligent phones such as the Iphone or Blackberry. I usually get a 3 years contract and take a free phone when I renew my contract.

My bought my computer two years ago. I don't feel the need to change it and I will probably do it after I finish my studies. I still have a DVD player and haven't switched to blue-rays yet (Oh wait my PS3 is a blue-ray player!). I still use my discman and i haven't bough an ipod or mp3 player yet.

I don't follow the trend when it comes to new electronic gadgets because I have bills to pay and prefer spending my money elsewhere (ex: good food, clothes)

It's actually quite sad when you hear about people lining up to get the Iphone4 or some crap and how people get trampled because they have to have it first.

I really don't like technology all that much. It wastes so much of our time.

I have had my current phone since Steve and I got together three and a half years ago.

It's still going fine, so I don't see why I would need to buy a new one. When it does break, then yes I will more than likely have fun choosing out my next one and more than likely get one of the newer phones out, but I don't go out of my way to be updated with technology all the time.

No one can ever have the newest of anything. They're always updating things and making them better, so I wonder why I would even bother trying to keep up with it all. =/

Such a huge waste of money if you are one of those people who needs to always have the latest thing out.

Nahh. I'm good with what I have right now. I have a great VHS/DVD player, which is basically the heart of my room. I have an android touchscreen phone, which my parents forced me to have. I have a laptop coming to me right now (your order has been shipped! XD) that has Windows 8. An Xbox 360 and PS2 (yes PS2) that I play almost everyday.

I don't want any Blu Ray, iPhone, Tablet, or PS3. I'm very, very happy with what I have right now.

Back