Article: FFVII Remake Confirmed (Coming first to PS4, more to come in winter)

Wow, am I the only one not bothered if they DO retcon some things? I thoroughly enjoyed each aspect of the additional games/movies/etc... they're out there for a reason, they're all a part of the compilation. So why is it a bad thing if some previous characters make cameo appearances or some things are referenced/tied together?

I had to be the negative Nancy here. I will admit that .gif was win. We will see how this goes, because in the end this could "just" be a trailer. The opening shots just seem to be be a Narrator from the future talking about the heroic past deeds, so all the retcons could be OK still. I'll please be excited until the next announcement.

Wow, am I the only one not bothered if they DO retcon some things? I thoroughly enjoyed each aspect of the additional games/movies/etc... they're out there for a reason, they're all a part of the compilation. So why is it a bad thing if some previous characters make cameo appearances or some things are referenced/tied together?

not at all...in fact, if they want a remake of this caliber, they "NEED" to retcon a few things. refine dialogue a little more and even possibly add a little more scenes. There are so many things that were left unrefined because of the chibi sprites.

well, i love ff7 for the original content. not for retcons. so it does bother me. especially since i'm a little crazy about detail. i got that whole plotline down and if square fucks with it in any negative way, it'll be a no-go for me. too many retcons lead to me not considering it canon... so yeah

you don't have to consider it canon. Just like i dont consider ff3 3D remake "not canon".

EDIT: Honestly, people have to be realistic. FF7 back in the day was not designed a realistic game. there were questionable things thats it got away with because its cartoony style.

making it a realistic HD game, we KNOW something has to give....

I AM SO EXCITED!

I DONT CARE IF I AM 32 AND SUPPOSED TO BE A GROWN UP

I AM SO EXCITED!

I DONT CARE IF I AM 32 AND SUPPOSED TO BE A GROWN UP
i feel like people want me to be ashamed of fangirling, too. and i'm only 24 :lew:

i can't wait to see HD clerith meetcute. :ari:

I'd rather they remade FF9 but it's not popular enough :hmph:

they probably don't decide to remake ff9 because it's a game about a kid with a monkey tail... it looks a little odd, is all.

So Siliconera was spot on. It's official oh my. Sector 7 with next gen flavour, but it's probably gonna take a baziljon of time to release hoho.

I can't believe it's real. I'm excited but both very worried.

What if they add too much Zack references?
What if they change Cloud's attitude?
What if they make Cloud look strange?
What if they ruin Cloud's reaction to Aerith's death?
What if they change all the meaningful dialog Cloud & Aerith share?

Ugh, my initial excitement has now dwindled to worry.

Here's the dialog in the trailer btw:

Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of a star that threatened all burns eternal in our hearts. In its wake, came an age of silence. Yet with each fond remembrance we knew, those encountered were not forgotten. That someday we would see them again. Perhaps it was no more than wishful thinking. But after the long calm there are now the beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last the promise has been made.

At 0:46 of the trailer, you hear the words "That someday we would see them again." just as the screen shows yellow lilies.

tumblr_nq0mhyzIvX1sq2xoeo3_500.gif

Did anyone get an Aerith reference from that like I did?

Now that I read what the narrator says, I can't help but feel like it's Square Enix's way of warning the fanbase of what's to come with this remake.

It's like they're warning us, "when we show Cloud with Aerith or Tifa, you may become joyful or you may have fear but just enjoy the damn game, ok?"

Perhaps instead of retconning Zack's importance, they are retconning the uniqueness of the Buster Sword. And it's just another weapon, explaining why it has a toy.

Also, it could just be a trailer fan service thing and the toy sword wasn't intended to signify anything at all.

I think the kids playing with a buster like sword won't do anything to the story.

I'm more curious about how they'll make the Turks, since for most of the FFVII series they became good guys almost.

On top of that, I would like to see if they make any references to the other FFVII games, or is it going stay as close to the main game as possible...

Oh and Aerith will be revived in this version etc etc

My favourite part is when people fangasm over the graphics of the trailer when it's just CG. :ari:

I already made a thread about this news. Why make another one?

Official, non-copy and pasted article for the front page for the confirmation. :)

did anyone notice the kid with buster sword;

i already am nervous that they're going to fill this game with retcons about zack

I really can't see anything being added to the game further than a few nods to him. and honestly knowing all that we do now, it would be weird if there was not a few nods to zack as a character - he met and helped a lot of people. He also had a lot of enemies. Tseng, Reno and Rude can't just not recognize Cloud or his humongous fucking sword. He even met Yuffie lol

In Final Fantasy VII things like that weren't really touched on too much because it would have interfered with Cloud's
delusion that he was Zack.

But honestly I like the possibility of the dialogue being changed up a bit, modernized to include more of the FF7 universe etc. It gives people who played the old game a reason to play the new game because there is something different that wasn't there before.

My favourite part is when people fangasm over the graphics of the trailer when it's just CG. :ari:

We know it's CGI, ff games have always had CGI cutscenes. you're saying this to a crowd of fans that love a game where the characters all have hour-glass limbs, none of us care for the graphic quality so long as they're far better than what we had with the OG. :lew:

I really can't see anything being added to the game further than a few nods to him. and honestly knowing all that we do now, it would be weird if there was not a few nods to zack as a character - he met and helped a lot of people. He also had a lot of enemies. Tseng, Reno and Rude can't just not recognize Cloud or his humongous fucking sword. He even met Yuffie lol

In Final Fantasy VII things like that weren't really touched on too much because it would have interfered with Cloud's
delusion that he was Zack.

But honestly I like the possibility of the dialogue being changed up a bit, modernized to include more of the FF7 universe etc. It gives people who played the old game a reason to play the new game because there is something different that wasn't there before.

Well, see, that's MY problem. If you include Crisis Core then it makes sense to make Zack the center of the universe. But in the original game he wasn't really all that important. I mean, after Cloud regains his memories, he doesn't once speak of Zack or show guilt or sadness over Zack's death. All we get is that scene in the Shinra mansion at Nibelheim and that's it. So for people who hold the original game at the highest peek of 'truth' seeing Zack focused on so much is really off-putting. Especially since they're taking EVERYTHING that was originally Cloud's and making it as though Zack had/did it all first, when OG players know for a fact that's bullcrap.

I am a Cloud fangirl first and foremost, I want his character to be respected (which is why I prefer clerith over cloti) and IF Nojima/Nomura/Kitase take *everything* from Cloud and make it as if it was all Zack's all along, I'm gonna be really pissed off and won't even consider it in-canon, let alone will I waste money on it.

But, my gut instinct is telling me that they're going to hype up Zack and ruin everything. :rage:

[h=2]Meanwhile in Japan, Cloud and Aerith both trended on twitter.[/h]

tumblr_nq1fnhjUEg1qjdex2o1_400.jpg

FF7リメイクでクラエアが並んでた…!エアリス生存ルート来たらちょっとPS4検討するやもしれぬ…… | LitoNote@twitter

:ari: :cali:

I will laugh so hard if this comes out before XV. I wasn't one who was clamoring for a remake of VII but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't play the hell out of it.

Back