Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining
Sony revealed a new piece of PlayStation hardware today, the PS VIta TV, a small device that lets its owners play PlayStation Vita and PSP games on their television with a DualShock 3.

PS Vita TV is tiny; just 6 centimeters by 10 centimeters, said Sony's Andrew House. It will let users enjoy video services on their television, including Hulu and Nico Nico. It will also play some 1,300 software titles from the PS Vita, PSP and the original PlayStation.

PS Vita TV will be available in Japan on Nov. 14. The base unit will retail for 9,480 yen. A bundle featuring an 8 GB memory card and a DualShock 3 will retail for 14,280 yen.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/471...y-vita-games-on-your-television-hits-japan-on

soooo, for 100 pounds roughly, I can watch tv, stream the ps4 to a second tv, play P4G AND DDFF with a controller and on my hd tv

j74SykU.gif

mind-blowing_1454.gif

UPDATE: http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf

sooo you DON'T even need a vita, it a vita, for the tv.........

You are the only one that seems to post these things!
Hot topic man from the press conference. I just read all about it.
I want for checking movies and play type0 as I dont like handhelds nor ever bought one, but now to play on tv and it supports ds3! Cool shit. I like this, but on other sites I read it would have 1gb storage?

Update 2: Gaikai support confirmed, so it can stream PS3 games in the future too

Meh. I like this idea. I can see where it can succeed and make some serious cash. Like Stevie said, DDFF on a controller would be fantastic.

But I also can see where it'll bomb very hard.

Haven't we had these types of "handheld games on TV" hardware before from Nintendo? Fair enough, you needed to have the console to work it, but I can't help thinking they're the same thing. I was never quite fond of it back then, and I don't think I will be now.

I'm skeptical that people will buy this. I mean, while €100+ isn't robbing the bank for some people, the opportunity cost(You could probably get two decent games for the same price) could swing people.

This will be for the tech-savvy gamers who like their toys, rather than mainstreamers.

They're really taking the Vita into random directions, aren't they? And it reads like an Ouya, only you know, not shit.

On one hand, this *might* encourage a few more developer houses and publishers to make more games for the Vita format. Anything from Sony that has the potential to increase the user base of the Vita can be a good thing. It's going to be a boon for the few people who actually really want to play some Vita/PSP games but can't stand the small, sub-HD screens. It will also be a godsend to people who will have a PS4 in their living room, but for whatever reason want to play games in their bedroom while lying on their bed. It reads like a modern device in a world filled with Apple TVs and Android boxes.

On the other hand, this might not catch on with the masses. It can potentially just be another expensive failure for Sony, or if not, people will more likely use it for PS3/4 streaming purposes, and not to play Vita games with. But if the latter doesn't happen and this becomes the shot up the arm that the Vita needs in terms of games and a wider audience, they're potentially going to undermine the actual handheld itself. For God's sake, this unit is supposedly going to be cheaper than a Vita.

And the biggest question for me is: the DS3 obviously doesn't have a touchscreen. This thing is basically a Vita without a screen. How do you play games on it where you need to use the touchscreen? I presume they can be patched at some point, but that sounds like a hassle. It's sort of halfhearted as a Vita machine at this point, really.

Its not really revolutionary. I remember the Sega game gear had a TV tuner adapter which let you watch tv :wacky:

Why would you even wanna watch tv. I have a big tv in my living room and it only goes on when i play games or watch netflix. The tv only gets used when theres a big football match on. 149.95 for a fucking tv license to watch a few footy games a year >_> thanks.

But aye i think its pretty pointless tbh. I mean... YES now i can watch loose woman on the go!

EDIT: I clearly just skimmed the first post didnt i?

...this still doesn't solve the problem of the severe lack of worthwhile games on the Vita. I've had one since launch, and in that time I've had three games for it, one of which I sold (Gravity Rush) because of how utterly unplayable it was. If Sony want to shift some more units, they could try actually making games for it.

But meh, I'm not particularly motivated to buy this, lack of games notwithstanding. If it had a USD slot so I could play my old PSP games on it I'd jump on it, but I've got my PS3 if I feel like playing my PSOne Classics - which are on my original account anyway, so this thing probably wouldn't be able to play them if it's locked to one account like the handheld unless I constantly reset back and forth - and the original Vita screen is of perfectly good quality. These extra features are all unnecessary excess baggage and, whilst I can see how it would appeal to some, it's not for me.

♥;1074235 said:
...this still doesn't solve the problem of the severe lack of worthwhile games on the Vita. I've had one since launch, and in that time I've had three games for it, one of which I sold (Gravity Rush) because of how utterly unplayable it was. If Sony want to shift some more units, they could try actually making games for it.

But meh, I'm not particularly motivated to buy this, lack of games notwithstanding. If it had a USD slot so I could play my old PSP games on it I'd jump on it, but I've got my PS3 if I feel like playing my PSOne Classics - which are on my original account anyway, so this thing probably wouldn't be able to play them if it's locked to one account like the handheld unless I constantly reset back and forth - and the original Vita screen is of perfectly good quality. These extra features are all unnecessary excess baggage and, whilst I can see how it would appeal to some, it's not for me.

It will also play some 1,300 software titles from the PS Vita, PSP and the original PlayStation.

It does magic. It made me interested cause I have been missing out on many psp and Vita games!

This actually sounds really cool. I think this will help get Sony a lot more cash from people like me who would buy something like this. I really don't see a downside to this. Considering how many different games it can play, as well as the ability to watch things like Hulu, it should sell great.

Well, it's significantly less money than a vita, and I can live without a touchpad. Honestly, it would be pretty nice to buy this.

Yet again, this doesn't seem all that profitable. Making a "console" for a portable system has been done in the past, and it hasn't been that successful.

This sounds like a great idea. It's like Apple TV that can play vita titles. Definitely interested.

Back