Reasons for Dealing with Weight

blakstang98

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
When it comes to weight, people are always very sensitive about it. Most everyone I know seems to be dissatisfied with their weight, whether they're too heavy or too light. Personally, I was always underweight and for years, I made an attempt to gain weight. Working an office job managed to help me gain weight, as I'm a lot less physically active than my old jobs as well I'm not in school anymore when a lot of walking was required to get around campus.

I tend to see 3 major reasons that people worry about their weight. These reasons being how you appear to others, how you appear to yourself or for health reasons.

For me, I didn't like the way I looked to myself. A guy who is 6'1-6'2 shouldn't be 150 lbs or less, and it bothered me enough to make a serious effort to gain weight. Then after a year and a half at the desk job, I fattened up to about 195 lbs, which I then felt was too heavy. So then I made an effort to skim some weight. I was walking at first, then I took to riding an exercise bike. Now I tend to fluctuate from 180-190 lbs, which is a great range for a guy my size, so I feel great now about my weight. :ryan:

So my question to you is which of these 3 reasons makes you worry about your weight? Is it how you look to others, how you look to yourself or do you worry for the well-being of your health?

Good question dddddudddde, most folks care about their weight because of their self image. No matter what some folks will always think they look fat or whatever even when they look smoking.

If I intend to lose weight it's for something generally. Like right now, I have put back on muscle, and so losing weight is becoming quite the chore for me, since last year it was so easy to lose 30 lbs. Right now my stomach is where most of the weight is, and the problem is I'm becoming quite the event coordinator now a days with cooking, and heading to bars on occasion for a brew.

So if I drink or smoke, it slows everything I'm working towards down. Quite frankly it pisses me off sometimes, due to drinking makes me more hungry at times, and we never are without food around these parts. Smoking of course makes me feel sluggish the next day, plus breathing patterns messed up.

My thing is .. I've never been cut. Sure I might have had hella arm muscles at one time, and my legs have always been quite muscular, but if you look at my mid section it's all out of tweak. I can never get on a schedule anymore without the wife being pissed off. She thinks I'm trying to one up her or something when I try to eat healthy. "you make me look like a fat ass"

If I want to lose weight it's for me, not you ladies, no offense. I've never lost weight for women. Never. So I don't understand all the sudden when I am actually looking "normal" all around and not miss-proportional I'm getting hounded on. Shouldn't you like your man looking good? bah.

I mostly worry about how I look to other people.

I've never been the most popular person, I think mainly because I'm quite shy. Being a bit heavier than most lowers your self confidence so if I was a bit lighter, I'd feel more confident and be more out going and talk to more people etc.
It doesn't help either when you go on nights out and you don't look your best. It's just the way it is, but (in my experience) people are shallow on a night out. They're not looking for a personality, they're looking for some attractive person to dance and flirt with etc.

I weigh about 150 and no amount of "fattening up" is ever going to change that. My metabolism is so strong that my body simply does not absorb much fat. Therefore my weight just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Sure, I suppose I'd like to weigh a little more, but why worry about it? It doesn't make sense to be upset with your natural body type.

I think I'm more pissed off for the reason of how I see myself when I look in the mirror - changing rooms are the worst when I'm trying summat on, and if I feel like I look like a whale I'l mentally beat myself up over it and it can put me in a really bad mood and I'l vow to survive on as little food as possible

To a lesser extent, how I'm seen by others as well, I don't want people to look at me and be like OMG MUFFIN TOP, though I know it's mostly in my head and I don't look half as bad to other people as I do to myself, though if I'm having a fat day, I'l make sure I will wear summat that hides it... so yeah, I think my biggest issue is the way I perceive myself

I've always been used to being an twig though, and when the weight started creeping on in recent years I didnt like it at ALL.

Couldn't give a rats arse about any health implications, otherwise I wouldn't starve myself half to death when I'm crash dieting :8F:

Fortunately for me, I've hardly ever encountered major weight problems before. My metabolism is rather adequate and I am fairly active in my daily life.

I did become moderately underweight in one occasion. In retrospect, it really wasn't that bad, but it just had a negative effect on me at the time. I felt really skinny and I despised my tiny stature and skinny figure in the mirror. I wasn't really bothered about how I look to other people. From what I've experienced, it tends to be the overweight people that usually garner the negative attention.

I've always been a tiny little thing, since it's pretty much a genetic thing. A good deal of the women in my immediate family were born to be small in stature, whether it be in height or in weight. For me, I take after my aunt, being that I rarely put on anything. When I was younger this lack of weight gain was really just attributed to my odd finicky nature, I used to hate certain foods unless they were prepared a certain way. Now though regardless of how drastic my eating habit's changed, my body just refuses to take weight in and displace it . . . er normally I suppose. I'm currently a mere 110 lb at only 5'3" and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't look at myself most days and feel a sense of dread.

I was always sort of the odd one out in my family; I was too thin or "maga" or just yeah . . . there were words my mom would throw around that could be hurtful. Being compared to a survivor of the Holocaust isn't exactly what a twelve year old girl should have to hear. At any rate I would try to eat in vain, to gain around 10 pounds when in reality my weight would only fluctuate up to a measly 5 or 2 lb. most days. The weight fluctuation just stays at a standstill now so yeah . . . I've learned to just accept that I'll always be a tiny bit, a little thing, a petite girl, etc.

I'll still eat like a rabid wolf (mostly because I've gained that sort of appetite in recent years), but I won't count calories or obsessively stand on the scale, trying to please other people anymore.

I'm on the fluffy side myself and am actually overweight but currently I'm happy with my outward appearance when I'm outside. Clothes can hide the imperfections and even highlight the good parts xD

It's more when I'm in my room, baring it all, do I grimace at certain places. As well, being overweight isn't exactly something I want to just leave hanging over my head, so health-wise I also wanna lose weight - but I guess that can also count as wanting to deal with weight for myself :hmmm:

Last edited:
Personally, I am 6'8" and ended freshman year of college at 195 lbs, and then end of this past sophomore year around 185 lbs. My doctor said that I'm not underweight yet, and I don't look ridiculously skinny or anything. I pretty much have the build of a tennis player, especially now that I have a lot more time to play during the summer. My metabolism is really insane--I ate and drank booze a lot my sophomore year and still lost 10 pounds. Since I also model in Detroit, everyone I work with prefers that I keep the weight off, too.

I guess the only time I feel legitimately concerned about my weight is when I think about the health reasons. I get worried about accidentally becoming underweight since my weight is so hard to control, but there's no way I want to go to the gym or anything because I like having a more lean build instead of being broader. I never eat breakfast because I always have lunch like 1.5 hours after waking up and I REALLY hate candy and desserts, so I wouldn't really know how to quickly gain weight should I ever slip into the "underweight" category.

So yeah, it kinda sucks not really knowing how to maintain weight or how to gain/lose it, so I just kind of ignore it and try to be healthy and active throughout the day. Le sigh.

My weights changes alot over the last few years. Just under 2 years ago, so say....18 months ago maybe i was at the gym 3 times a week minimum and i weighed rougly 13 stone (82kg i think) I was probadly the fittest id been back then. Within a year i gained 2 and a half stone, tbh it never really bothered me as i hadnt noticed. Then when i saw some photos and weighed myself i was like holy fuck. It did make me feel really unhappy. Its not about how others see me. If im comfortable with myself then what other people think isnt really on my mind. But if im bothered then it kinda gets to me.

Right now i weigh around 14stone (90kg) which im pretty happy with. I dont go to the gym at all now but i work out at home, i have pretty much everything right here tbh bar the CV workouts like excersise bikes etc.
One thing that bothers me alot though is my belly =_= I was off work for around 3 months with a bad leg and didnt get much excercise. ALot of that time was spent in the pub getting drunk and it shows now =_= I dont really feel comfortable with my top off, thankfully ive not got man tits though. So my mission is just to burn some fat from the belly. Gunna have to cut out the booze though, i think out of everything staying sober at the weekends will be the hardest part in dieting.

So to answer the question again. If i lose weight its for myself and myself only. Others oppinions arent important..... though its always nice to get compliments xD

It would have to be for myself. Being comfortable in your own skin is what's the most important. If people don't like you for who you are then to bad, ya know? There's other people that would accept you the way you are whether your a little overweight/etc.

Like I said it would be for myself. I never had much of a difficult time losing weight which i'm thankful for but still, if I didn't like the way my body was, i'd make the effort myself to change it.

I'm a pretty active person. I exercise daily because well I guess for health which would be another reason. Like i've said, i'm pretty well balanced only because I do stay active.

I could care less what others think to be honest i'm satisfied with my weight so 'tis all good :ryan:

Fortunately for me, I've hardly ever encountered major weight problems before. My metabolism is rather adequate and I am fairly active in my daily life..

Fuck you,

I've always been a tiny little thing, since it's pretty much a genetic thing.

and you,

Personally, I am 6'8" and ended freshman year of college at 195 lbs

and you,

Like I said it would be for myself. I never had much of a difficult time losing weight which i'm thankful for but still, if I didn't like the way my body was, i'd make the effort myself to change it.

and you.

:mokken:

Ntrly, but from a fat person to a skinny person... rly.

Weight's always been a huge (no pun intended) issue for me. I was bigger kid in elementary school.. ballooned early high school.. and thinned out late high school. Late late high school I ballooned again because I was with my ex who liked big girls. He encouraged me to put on weight, when he knew it was an issue for me. But hey, I thought this man loves me for who I am.. what the fuck. And threw my health down the drain.

Since then it's been increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight. Moreso even after I had knee surgery and was confined to a bed for 3 months. Relying on my bf to make me pasta (only good sharable thing he knew how to make) or a bag of chips.. I was doomed from the outset. By this time last year, I was a staggering 235 lbs.

I didn't realize how bad I was until I started getting regular chest pains and had trouble breathing. So I bit the bullet and joined a gym, regardless of how this fat girl would look surrounded by beefcakes at the gym. At this point, my health was at stake.

Since then I lost 40 lbs ish, but have plateaued. Money's tight so I can't go to the gym as often. So I maintain a rough 190-195 on my 5'8" frame. =/ It's still not enough because I need a second identical surgery and I'll have to go through it ALL FUCKING OVER AGAIN. I'm trying to get down another 20 lbs so it'll be easier to maintain by then, and I won't gain as much.

I'll never have the body I had back in highschool though now after my ex and these fucking surgeries. My thighs must have at least 15 lbs of fat each after going to jelly and losing all muscle mass from no use. I have so many stretch marks, it's embarrassing. The cellulite is just a mere contender to all the spider veins on my legs and sides. Even if I slim down to my goal of 160lbs... I'll have all this saggy wrinkly flaps and need surgery to fix it.. OWAIT CHILDREN TOO LATER ON. Fuck my life. :mokken:

Last edited:
I've been trying to lose weight over the past month or so and I don't see myself stopping from speed-walking about 6 miles a day until I get to my goal of slimming down to about 190 like some of you up here. I don't know why, but I just got so fed up of being the 240 lbs. I was a couple months ago that I finally decided to just bite the bullet and do some exercise for once. Now I kinda feel great. I'm about a third there since I'm about 215 now and I haven't been eating as much as crap as before. :hmmm:

I've always been between 45-48kg.

Anything over that and I'd start to get worried.

I'm very watchful of my weight. I don't want to be one of those ones who justs 'lets it all go' simply because I'm settled in the way of a relationship etc.

I want to look good for me and for other people.

I do care what other people think when it comes to my image so it's important for me to maintain it.

You're only young for a while. You may as well look and feel good during that period.

I think I weigh like 115lbs and this is the heaviest I have ever been, there's a dumbbell in the gym that weighs more than me according to my friend. I've always been very skinny regardless of what I eat, I get fast food for my lunch every day with a bottle of coke, then a dinner when I get home around 6 which consists of potatoes and some form of meat usually. I don't eat a breakafast because I feel sick eating when I just wake up, but I have food around 3 or 4 in the morning before I go to bed.

I don't exercise at all and spend most of ,my day at home on the computer or playstation though I started a sport in the last year that I train three hours a week for. I was never really fussed about my weight and don't really care how I look too much, only thing that occasionally annoys me is getting asked to I have an eating disorder.

Also my teeth are fine too

I have a fast metabolism, so I guess I really have no problem with my weight. Like, right now, I'm about 100 lbs. or something. (but I'm short, so I guess that's pretty normal)
Although I've recently tried to eat healthier and exercise more. I've read in a newspaper article once that, even though it may seem as if you are at the right weight, you might still be at risk for heart disease because of lack of activity and stuff like that.

can I choose d? I guess mine is closest to how I see myself. When I am too heavy, then I am slow when playing sports. After trimming down a bit I get some of my speed back.

Between the ages of 16 and 18, I dealt with my weight because I was unhappy about how I looked. I was overweight - not dramatically so, but it showed in my face and I had some fat around my stomach.

As I tried to lose weight in a healthy weight, through walking more and eating wholesome food as opposed to foods high in fat and sugar, I learnt an awful lot about nutrition.

Now I watch what I eat for health reasons and because I don't want to end up looking ugly again. I'm not ugly now, but weight REALLY doesn't suit me (it suits some people).

I think I weigh like 115lbs and this is the heaviest I have ever been, there's a dumbbell in the gym that weighs more than me according to my friend. I've always been very skinny regardless of what I eat, I get fast food for my lunch every day with a bottle of coke, then a dinner when I get home around 6 which consists of potatoes and some form of meat usually. I don't eat a breakafast because I feel sick eating when I just wake up, but I have food around 3 or 4 in the morning before I go to bed.

I don't exercise at all and spend most of ,my day at home on the computer or playstation though I started a sport in the last year that I train three hours a week for. I was never really fussed about my weight and don't really care how I look too much, only thing that occasionally annoys me is getting asked to I have an eating disorder.

Also my teeth are fine too

This guy knows the score

Well I have changed a bit since I wrote that, I don't eat any meat or junk food anymore, which of course has had an effect on my body. I dropped a stone straight away (about 15lbs) when I became a vegetarian, but I was still eating a lot of junk. Over summer I did fuck all so I accumulated weight like sweat on a fat girl's back. My body has gone a bit soft around the edges, but I am sure by Christmas I will be a mechanism of slim efficiency once again

My teeth are still fine though, damn fine

I want to stay thin for myself mostly but a little part of me also wants to look good for other people. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I don't want people to see me and think ew that chicks a fatty check out her cellulite, blah blah. I care about what people think of me, I can't help it. I want to look nice and I want people to look at me and think I look ok at least.

I've really let myself go over the past few months though and I am ashamed of myself, I am not fat yet but I can see myself getting that way.

There is also the health thing, staying thin is good for your health (it is not overrated ;))) I just need to get out of my lazy slump so I can be bothered to go out and work the winter fat off.

Back