Interracial Relationships

The sad thing is that there have been laws that outlawed it. It was considered a criminal offence. Which shows how backward people can be. People only thought it was wrong because they feared their race would be lost somehow. But like some people already said, we are all human. You cannot put restrictions on love. It just happens.

It's depressing that anybody in this day and age could actually, vehemently believe that it shouldn't be allowed. I personally couldn't care less about race in a relationship, because whether you're black, white, Asian, or purple polkadots, that doesn't affect your personality much, if at all. If your personality is appealing to me, and mine is to you, then nothing should really be seen as a problem.

I dont have a single problem at all with interacial relationships, in fact I've had one or two myself.

For anyone to still be against such things in this day and age I feel is extremely petty and small minded, Love has absolutely positively no bearing on skin colour, relgion or anything.

Shame on anyone that thinks there is a problem!

Well, I'm the product of an interracial relationship (My dad is Indian and my mother English, so I'm half and half) so I've never seen anything wrong with it (though they're divorced now it has nothing to do with their races). I suppose it's just how you grow up. About 50 years ago racism was big and such and so people are still likely to have parents/grandparents (and so on and so forth) that will have a problem with interracial relationships but I don't think a difference in skin pigments should make any difference on a relationship.
^ I agree! Shame on people who think it's a problem!

I am not questioning it. :sad3: Just want to see my fellow members views on it to see what they thought. :)

I think that the world needs more interracial relationships so that it can be more connected. It really should not be questioned. That's why the passage stuck me the way it did.

I didn't mean to direct that comment at you if it came across that way sorry. >.<

I was just trying to state that it's quite sad that a topic like this should even come up because of some peoples ridiculous ideas on the matter. =/

I hate racism and the situations that arise from it and then people like us end up discussing it. >.<

What bullshit...

Oh. I can't possibly date you. You're white/black.

Get lost with that stuff... I'm purple. *rolls eyes*

Ashley Riot said:
I don't even like the term 'interracial', makes it seem it's a different sort of relationship when it's just 2 humans. Why does it need to be specially labelled?

Exactly.

We're all human. Who cares about skin colours? I always feel so fucked up when people are being racist at my job or other places. It's just so damn uncalled for. Leave each other be.

People are pathetic if they judge by colour.

You should judge by personality, and get a fucking grip. >.>

And even THEN. Look at yourself before you point a damn finger. :gonk:

While I haven't exactly dated outside my own race, but then of course I was never given the opportunity, so my extent is..

this is generally just racist. People that claim it as racist saying mixing the blood creates genetic freaks. In my opinion though.. and maybe the most beautiful thing I've came to analyze, that maybe the perfect person one day will have 1/100th of each race.

Maybe one day the next evolution is actually a race integration.. or maybe not. Either way those that are so shallow as to frown on these things are bitter folks, who wish to see no change only do away with other races. These people need wisdom.. desperately.

As 2pac said way .. and I do mean Way back..

"We gotta start making changes, gotta see me as a brother, instead of two distant strangers."

"I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other"

2pac - Changes

There are certain topics that there should be no debate on. This is one of those topics. There is absolutely nothing wrong with interracial relationships. I hate people that think white people can ONLY have relationships with other white people (I don't mean to be racist).

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if you think I am wrong, I won't fault you for it.

Interracial relationships are fine if they care for each other you know.

My teacher always talk about this and why ppl see problems with in my neighborhood...guess we're too far south.
But I have to admit seeing an actual interracial relationship is so rare down here that the first thing most ppl say is "He/she could do better" so something like that. I just don't see what they see

Do you think that there should be a relationship between two people of different races?

I was reading a passage for my English class and in the passage, a man and a woman were discussing it, where the man came across as racist due to the fact that he thought it was wrong where as his wife thought it was okay.

I myself don't see an issue with it though a lot of my family members would say otherwise. My aunt in particular holds very racist views in this regard. My parents were an interracial couple. My father was native american and white while my mother was black with some native american blood as well though. I don't know if they ever really saw it that way but other people did.

Coincidentally, all of my past relationships have been interracial. My first boyfriend was Mexican, my second was Turkish. I never really thought about it at the time because it has never been a big deal to me.

I think that if two people love each other, they can transcend society's label on those kind of relationships and live happily. I know that I am kind of young and I may not know the true harshness of reality ( I think I do, though) but I honestly think that a relationship where the two are from different races could work out.

My current boyfriend is white/hispanic. Honestly, if I worried about race, I would have missed out on the most wonderful thing in my life. So I agree with your sentiment here. If two people truly love each other, why should skin color be an issue?

To be honest, America is progressing in terms of being very accepting towards interracial couples. It's becoming the norm here, especially in the North-East where demographics are heavily mixed and multiple communities are widely dispersed over states such as New York and New Jersey. *cough* That said, I personally see no need to even look at race or ethnicity when I pick a significant other. In fact, my current boyfriend is Italian/Irish/Scottish or just white, lol. But he's one of the best things that's ever happened to me so it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was Purple, Asian, Black, Half-White, whatever, at the end of the day he's still a person. When we cut each other open we bleed the same, don't we?

The only traits that separates us are caused by the minutest of genetic variances and inheritances: eye color, hair color, skin color, all of that is irrelevant when you look at the bigger DNA chain. 99.0% of our DNA or more is the same, so you and I share a multitude of the same strands. Unfortunately, you still have people that, due to ignorance and lack of exposure to these situations, think in terms of racial purity aka Blacks should only associate and make babies with other blacks and whites should do the same, only mix with their own race.

To an extent there are times where I've heard some of my own family members say things like, "Well, it would've been better if you found someone within your own culture." Or "Don't you feel awkward?" or my personal favorite, "Personally I could never date someone who was white or Hispanic." I wasn't happy hearing that but I also knew that it was their opinion and until they perhaps experienced firsthand how my significant other treated me and what it was like for us to go out, then they could not state their opinions differently.

Short version: Racism still exists unfortunately, so long as you have misinformed, improperly educated, and ignorant folk. "Interracial" relationships (I'm starting to dislike that term too, it sounds so impersonal and technical, ew.) can be a wonderful thing, even my cousin is going to be the father of a half-Jamaican, half-Greek/Puerto-Rican child and she'll be just as beautiful as any other child and no different either. I'm in a relationship with someone of a different race and quite frankly we're color blind towards each other and we don't really give a shit what people think of us. That's the beauty of love. :) Love sees no gender, race, religious creed, or even age in certain instances: it is blind to all of those things. ^_^

I honestly do not see why this topic should exist as a debate in a modern, civilized society. It should go without saying that "race" is an arbitrary social construct that is nothing more than a crude attempt at attaching meaning to certain spots along a long, blurry continuum of genetic differences that are, in the face of the multitudes of varying organisms that populate our world, insignificant (On a side note, continuums are present in every aspect of life; for example, "gender," as opposed to "sex," is not "male" or "female," but a continuum). In other words, the "lines" that we draw are meaningless, and thus, interracial relationships should not be frowned upon (And if you do frown upon them, then you are, to put it bluntly, an idiot).

I can't possibly say anything that hasn't been already been said by other members. Like everyone else, I personally don't see a problem with it. In fact, I think I actually prefer it. I'm a white male who rarely finds a white female (who's American, anyways) that I'm attracted to. I'm naturally drawn towards darker skin women. That's just the way I am. I've never had a girlfriend of a different skin color. As you can guess from my previous, it's not because I don't want one. I just generally find that the women I get interested in, they themselves have a hard time dating outside of their race. It's not their fault. I guess certain societal norms have been associated with race. People tend to have more in common with others of their own skin color. It's not uncommon to see people when first entering an area where they know no one, to pair up with someone of a similar color. I think that has more to do with family. You grow up around people who look like you, so other people who "look like" you are the ones you're going to be the most comfortable with. And I guess you could say it's kinda the same with dating. I think some people are generally drawn towards people of their own color because subconsciously they think that that person is gonna automatically have more in common with them.

But I'm digressing. Again, I would actually prefer to date someone outside of my race. It's probably because in high school, almost every white girl I knew was a complete cunt towards me. Maybe I'm just biased.

With experience from Interracial relationships, I can personally say that there is nothing wrong with it. I personally prefer to date girls(and guys) that are non-white. I sometimes find others that I find attractive within my same race to be preps, and those kinds of people I just can't stand. I don't know, maybe it's because I prefer to date outside my race, but it's just how I am. :griin:

My answer may be a little bit of a bold statement but.....Interracial relationships are a small step towards world peace! I have been with a chinese women for over 2 and a half years and before that happened I was more close minded to the difference between cultures than I am today, now I feel as if I am a man of 2 countries because I have spent a year in china and I am still here.

I wish the whole world would start mixing more because the more direct relation you have with other countries and cultures...the less ignorant and open minded people can be. The world should love each other....as the man stated earlier "we are all people." So why not let us love each other and whoever. Any child who is raised with 2 different cultures in his blood will maybe face different kinds of challenges growing old but will be a better person in the end for facing them.

I love all races and colors of people. At the end of the day the color of somebodies skin does NOT matter. It doesn't make a person who they are, it doesn't make them a bad person, you know what makes people bad? Their character, how they act towards others, not showing respect, etc, THAT defines a person.
It's awful that people get hated and stereotyped because of the color of their skin. Interracial relationships don't bother me at all. If somebody is happy then good for them! Time to grow up and get passed hatred, its 2015.

I've no problem with interracial couples, and been in some myself. But then again, I am a multi-ethnic/multi-racial being...

Interracial is awwwright. There's no harm in making caramel babies...

This ties in well with the issue of dating preference. We all might say we endorse interracial, but would we ourselves be willing to date outside a particular race of people? I personally have no problems with it. I find it hypocritical of a person to endorse interracial but refuse to date anyone that doesn't have the specific physical make-up they're looking for (IE 'she has to be asian with long black hair or it just won't work out!'). That's just my opinion though, so spare me the torches and pitchforks ;)

I wonder when I'll be seeing white girl/indian guy couples regularly :D (over here, anyway)

That's neither hypocrisy nor a double standard. Hypocrisy is someone saying everyone should have to marry someone of their own race while they themselves marry someone of another race; by saying one doesn't have a problem with interracial marriage does not require that said person must participate in an interracial marriage due to the inclusivity of the statement itself.

I'm in an interracial relationship, and I have been for the last few years now. Color of skin, in my opinion, should never be looked down upon when it comes to a romantic relationship (or fuck, for any relationship for that matter). Should be girlfriend be white instead of black, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. I wouldn't love them any more or any less than I do now. It's actions that dictate the way I feel about my girlfriend, not skin color. My family, on the other hand, doesn't quite agree with me on this. I've yet to tell them because I understand that the day that I do, half of them will stop speaking to me. There are a few that know, but not many. The last person in my family to be in an interracial relationship was disowned, and I didn't even know of their existence well into late teens.

I regard it as a form of racism, because it is a form of racism. While it may not be as bad as direct racism, it's still awful, and the consequences of it are just as bad, if not worse, in the long run. And I've met with this a dozen times.

My former step father told me they would disown me if I ever dated a black woman.

They were fine with my Hispanic girlfriend.

They were fine with my Asian girlfriend.

They shit bricks upon finding out about my current one. (Black.)

To this day he'll refuse to speak to me, and to this day, I can't figure out why the line was drawn where it was. It's irrational and makes little to no sense, and people that live their lives that way happily honestly bother me. However, should the time ever come where I have to bite the bullet or burn the bridge, I'll have to be done. It'll suck, of course, but I'm not asking for my families permission for to allow my girlfriend to be a part of their family; I'm giving them the opportunity to be a part of mine.

Of course, this is assuming that I ever get that far in the relationship. We're both still young, so it's not something to think heavily about now.

To this day he'll refuse to speak to me, and to this day, I can't figure out why the line was drawn where it was. It's irrational and makes little to no sense, and people that live their lives that way happily honestly bother me. However, should the time ever come where I have to bite the bullet or burn the bridge, I'll have to be done. It'll suck, of course, but I'm not asking for my families permission for to allow my girlfriend to be a part of their family; I'm giving them the opportunity to be a part of mine.

Of course, this is assuming that I ever get that far in the relationship. We're both still young, so it's not something to think heavily about now.

I have to ask, are you in the states? I hate it for you man. I think there is far worse reverse racism and racism involved within the families, when an interracial relationship does happen.

In the U.S, I have tried to break it down to a very breathable and palpable discussion, but no matter what there is a stain of contempt from previous years/recent years here in the US. You can't "erase" history, but what divides us is no matter what there is some awesome (sarcasm to the nth degree) person out there raised by some bigot or went to an majority white or majority black school, and was mistreated. Due to this the stigma is placed and then a generalization occurs that all white people or all black people are racists. How does that affect a relationship? Well as you put it, you are pretty much outcasted. While granted her situation is better, she probably still gets the short end of the stick and has some social blow backs as well. I would gauge that some even think that there are "agendas" to the relationship which to me people can piss off.

From a relationship standpoint it will be like the apartheid in South Africa if people keep hating and choosing to stand apart due to recent events. In South Africa it was not only almost illegal to date outside ones race, but if there were a kid, the kid had to choose. Once chosen there was little one can do to reunite the parents.

I'm no hippy, but I am a humanitarian. I say you can date who the heck ever you choose. Although culturally divided (shame in some ways due to there is so much beauty in different cultures), I believe in social integration and NOT forced assimilation. For humanity to succeed there needs to be respect, and once respect is given, it should never be betrayed.

I guess, technically, I'm in an interracial marriage. I'm biracial myself, but mostly caucasian in appearance. Have some African traits, though, such as the hair and nose. :lew:

Anyway, love is love. Interracial couples shouldn't be an issue, but still can be. In the world we live in now, though, it's becoming such a norm. But no, I don't believe there will ever be full acceptance of it. I guess that's a byproduct of older values and traditions of former generations.

Back