Handheld vs TV - How do you like your Final Fantasy?

How do you like your Final Fantasy?

• TV via a console like the NES, SNES and PlayStation

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Handheld via the GBA, DS and PSP

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Some games on TV and others on handheld; depends on the game

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Not important enough to warrant a decision

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WhiteKnight

ShinRa Guard
Gil
With the exception of the newest Final Fantasy games (FF X-to-FF XIV) and FF III the others have the option of being played either on a TV via a console or on a handheld.

I know this is an incomplete list but just for example

FF I + FF II
TV via NES or PlayStation
Handheld via GBA or PSP

FF IV
TV via SNES or PlayStation
Handheld via GBA, DS or PSP

FF VII
TV via PlayStation
Handheld via PSP

Do you have a preference? If so why?
I prefer handhelds because I can carry it with me if I want to play it anywhere; I can move throughout my place with it without being stuck on a TV and if I go on a trip I can take it with me.

I've always been a handheld person, because I enjoy playing wherever I feel like it...usually curled up in my chair. So naturally, if I have the choice to play an FF game on a handheld or a console, I'll play it on my handheld. Really, it doesn't make much of a difference for the PS1 ones, it's not like the PS3 updates the graphics...it's just a bigger screen. Pixelly PS1 games look awful on the big screen now :damon:

But the best FF game (XII, for anyone who didn't know) isn't on a handheld yet, so...it's somewhat bittersweet.

I prefer handheld if possible as i like to play them where ever i like :D but i dn on the tv... I loved finishing FFIX on the psp and im gonna do FVII and FFVIII on the psp as well i done FFI and FFII on the psp as well sooo yh i very much prefer the games on an handheld console

I may get a PSP or PSVita in the future to play FF VIII and FF IX. Although I haven't decided yet

Edit: Also FF VII

Hard to say, but I think might be leaning more towards handhelds. I mean, I love playing FF games on my console, but I think I'm more likely to finish a game on my handheld. For example, I've bought FFIV three times (PS1, DS, and PSP) and I only now managed to beat the FFIV game for the first time on my PSP during commute.

But regardless, I'll still continue to buy games for both console and handheld if I can. I always seem to buy new systems because of the FF series :lew:

Handheld for the games before VI, TV for the games after and including VII.

I find it rather hard to enjoy 2D games on a big screen. They're pixellated and it just feels a bit unnatural...

When it comes to 3D games, I like to enjoy them in their full glory on a decent sized screen! I must say, however, I haven't played VII, VIII or IX on a large TV... My previous TV was tiny and about 14 years old, so the games looked good on there. My current TV, however, is 22 inches and supports HD...so I may find that pixels in the PS1 Final Fantasy games are too accentuated (they certainly were in Vagrant Story!). Final Fantasy X and XIII look great on it though. I couldn't imagine playing either of them on a PSP; I found it hard enough playing Final Fantasy X on the previous TV!

Handheld for the games before VI, TV for the games after and including VII.

I find it rather hard to enjoy 2D games on a big screen. They're pixellated and it just feels a bit unnatural...

When it comes to 3D games, I like to enjoy them in their full glory on a decent sized screen! I must say, however, I haven't played VII, VIII or IX on a large TV... My previous TV was tiny and about 14 years old, so the games looked good on there. My current TV, however, is 22 inches and supports HD...so I may find that pixels in the PS1 Final Fantasy games are too accentuated (they certainly were in Vagrant Story!). Final Fantasy X and XIII look great on it though. I couldn't imagine playing either of them on a PSP; I found it hard enough playing Final Fantasy X on the previous TV!

You are right on with regards to screen size; One of the problems now is that TVs are so much larger than they use to be. How many 40"+ TVs were sold before 2000 compared to after 2005? A 34" CRT is massive by CRT standards and a comparably sized 32" flat panel is considered to be smaller.

Unless the game in question is absolutely expansive and engrossing, I find it considerably easier to get into a JRPG on a handheld than I do on a console, particularly if the game is visually showing its age. With a handheld, I can easily just snuggle up on the bed and casually grind my character levels now and again, whereas I'm really usually not the sort of person who enjoys sitting there in front of the TV for hours or so at a time doing countless fights to level up unless your name is Xenoblade Chronicles with ample exploration. I just normally find it harder to stick to a JRPG if it's on a console, like for example, Star Ocean 4.

In terms of Final Fantasy, I wouldn't mind it if every one of the main games were to go on a handheld, except for FFXIII, though ultimately it doesn't really matter. The TV I use at home is tiny enough that playing Mass Effect on it would be impractical, so no Final Fantasy game no matter how visually aged it is would look that bad on that small screen. Nevertheless, I mainly have my JRPGs on the handhelds now, while the consoles are more reserved for games like Batman or Uncharted.

For me it depends on the game.

If its a decent game I won't mind playing one on the small screens of a handheld device. I think I've played revenant wings and IV on my DS and those were both pretty fun, however they just don't have the feel of the console games like ps3 titles do. Its not as engrossing because the graphics are less than to be desired.

My preference is for the major titles on the consoles so I can play them on my ps3. The graphics in HD on our flat screen cannot be beat. I played XIII :damon: on my 360 and even that wasn't so bad (Story wise yes :wacky: visually, no.)

I hate handheld games unless they are something silly and easy to play like...animal crossing or something.

I like to watch my games on the big screen at home, I dunno why, I don't really have a reason, though maybe because older FF games look like crud on the big screen haha (more crud than usual) but eh, I don't enjoy holding a tiny screen in my hand trying and trying to play on it.

Last edited:
Definitely love portable.

It's just easier and better. I like be able to take it with me on the go, and not being tied to my TV and game console. If I'm staying at someone's house or at the store, I can play a bit when I have the time, and not have to worry about lugging a TV or console.

Makes it that much nicer.

Im more of a console person and yes I get handhelds myself, but I prefer or should I say enjoy it more on my tv than in my hands, yes being able to take the game anwhere and everywhere is good but I find it pointless since im focused on w/e im doing to be going out in he first place. Tv is better for me mainly cause I enjoy my games on a big tv, I can relax, sound is much better on a tv than a handheld, I like watching the cutscenes or text box conversations w/e you wanna call it, I even prefer my trusty remote over a handheld, so its a no brainer for me.

T.V.

I hate using handheld consoles.

I had a NDS and a PSP and I sold both of them because they were just too ridiculously hard to play with.

I was always squinting at the screen and had my head craned in an awkward and painful position trying to see the stupid screen.

The T.V. is much better. It's so much bigger and you can relax your eyes and everything else and just lounge on the couch and play to your hearts content.

Anything I prefer to have it on the TV, I can't really play handheld games, I get way to dizzy looking at them, then I just can't stand a small screen.

I think that even the old ones I-VI are better on the tv. the small screen seems to cram everything into a small area

Depends less on the game and more on the tv too me. If I had a nice HD screen I gladly go with that but as it stands SD is just ugly to look at, especially when looking at it on an SD screen.

TV definitely. I find it easier to get drawn into the story when playing on the TV. Plus I like the bigger screen. :)

But I do enjoy my handhelds! But if a game comes out on console and handheld,I'll always get the console version.

I voted option #3. Why? Because it, to me, really does depend on the game. Final Fantasy Legends (or FF titles like it and Tactics) can only be done on a handheld, and some FF games need to be on console.

I can't even imagine trying to play a game like Final Fantasy on a handheld console. These games are long and really should be enjoyed to the fullest. Playing on TV allows for more room also. You don't have to stay stuck to a charger when your battery dies. The only way I would play any Final Fantasy game on handheld is if I'm traveling alot.

I play Final Fantasy III and VI on console, and the PSP remake of Final Fantasy I. VI seems to have a better cinematic feel with the TV.

Back