[20/06] Motomu Toriyama hints at a possible new Final Fantasy XIII game

Status
Not open for further replies.

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Omega.jpg

The Final Fantasy XIII-2 Ultimania Omega has made it out into the wild, and with that comes the usual bits of information contained within.

In addition to a collection of artworks from the game, including rough character sketches of Lightning, Hope, Serah and Caius by Tetsuya Nomura, the guide also features a brief interview with staff members Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama.

The most interesting bits come from questions regarding the recent Lightning episode DLC, which includes perhaps a bit of insight into Toriyama’s next project. “Like how Lightning took a step forward in the secret event… I think I want to take another step forward on this project of ours.”

Does this mean Final Fantasy XIII-3 is truly in the works? Toriyama did recently mention he would be working on a new project soon after XIII-2′s completion… and with XIII-2 not exactly “concluded” I suppose we’ll find out in due time.

We’ll update as more information comes in.

Via: FF-Reunion.

Source: Novacrystallis

Oh God I hope not. :ffs: Noel and Hope would be left to fend for themselves in the aftermath of Serah and Lightning's death? Yah, THAT'LL sell like hotcakes.

/colour me cynical

Earlier, I deleted this thread because novacrystallis deleted it for some reason. I thought it could have been a false rumor, but in the end, the article was reposted again. So I'm restoring this.

Anyway, more information:

[21/06] Final Fantasy XIII-2 heads tease new project
Toriyama: "I'd be happy if you could anticipate it."

The Final Fantasy XIII-2 Ultimania Omega book released in Japan today, and contains a new interview with producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama, where the pair seem to hint at a new project – perhaps Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Find the blurb below. (Warning: potential spoilers.)

Kitase: (The last part about Lightning’s DLC Episode) Explaining “XXX Years Later” would be pointless. It might seem that the line “To Be Continued…” means that Lightning’s chapter will continue in more download content, but we are doing it in a different interpretation.

Toriyama: With Lightning remaining in the 〇〇〇〇ル (crystal?) but still keeping her heart, you could say that the world of Final Fantasy XIII will be permanently 〇〇ed. I’m praying for the day to come that Lightning will surely 〇〇めて (wake up?) and Serah will be rewarded. Like Lightning advancing one step forward in the secret event, I think we want to take a step forward to advance our own project. From now on, I’d be happy if you could anticipate it.

Thanks, FF-Reunion.

Source: Gematsu

WHAT..... FFXIII-3 really 'goes to hide' I got to admit they do need to finish explaining the game but is there really a need for a thrid game...... i'm not soo sure on that one

Well with the ending of the last one they very well may have been hinting at a 3rd game. I really started to hate the story after seeing what XIII-2 did with it. As much as I wish they could just end the series with some DLC I highly doubt that'll be the case. The vision of everyone laughing happily that everyone had in the first game never came true anyways since more and more protagonists keep ending up in deep shit. There's probably gonna be some epic mission to save Serah, Light, Fang, Vanille from their fates and blah blah. All the women in this series have such terrible luck :hmmm:

Well with the ending of the last one they very well may have been hinting at a 3rd game. I really started to hate the story after seeing what XIII-2 did with it. As much as I wish they could just end the series with some DLC I highly doubt that'll be the case. The vision of everyone laughing happily that everyone had in the first game never came true anyways since more and more protagonists keep ending up in deep shit. There's probably gonna be some epic mission to save Serah, Light, Fang, Vanille from their fates and blah blah. All the women in this series have such terrible luck :hmmm:

I believe that this will be the likely outcome...a giant finale to restore the world and restore the gods or something like that I don't know, to be honest I will get it if it comes out to see the ending to this compilation. I bet it will be released like late next year or announced at TGS this year :P

Unsubstantiated, made up by me, rumor has it that they are going to remaster FF13 and remake 13-2 before releasing 13-3... while maintaining their focus on new flagship titles!!!

Oh God I hope not. :ffs: Noel and Hope would be left to fend for themselves in the aftermath of Serah and Lightning's death? Yah, THAT'LL sell like hotcakes.

/colour me cynical

I think a game with Noel and Hope as the main protagonists would actually be quite fun! ^^ It'd be pretty darn interesting in the least. (I say this jokingly; I think an extensive DLC should suffice.)

So if Square Enix decides to release a FFXIII-3, then would this be the first Final Fantasy game with a trilogy?! 'cause Kingdom Hearts didn't quite get there yet. xD;

Ugh, we don't need a third installment in the trilogy. They pretty much blew it with XIII-2 as I have yet to push myself through the whole thing without slamming my head against a desk. They could have made a true sequel to XIII that actually had something to do with the original and wasn't a miserable excuse for another game, and then this could be okay. What a waste of budget money, if this is true. They should shove that development team upon Versus XIII.

Bah...definitely not interested.Maybe Toriyama and Kitase are suffering from radiation sickness.
Sure seems like it.
They appear to be so clueless about how they have ruined Final Fantasy it boggles the mind.

woOO4.jpg

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow, birds will sing at dawn and I will probably be slightly hungover in the morning. Basically, I'm not, and I don't think anyone else should be either, bloody surprised. Originally I did speculate they would end this huge mess with storyline DLC, but that's obviously not been, nor will it be the case the moment we learned that FFXIII-2 is pretty much finished with its last piece of DLC. I just didn't seriously think earlier on they would go with a third game considering its relatively mediocre sales! But hey, brand name and all. It will still sell well. I should have known. From that perspective, why not make another sequel?

Blah blah blah, I expect all or most of the following:

1) Dengeki magazine to worship it like a God like it has done to the previous two games and blatantly advertise it as opposed to doing its job when it comes to reviewing the game. Famitsu will also give it 40/40 and hail it as another masterpiece.

2) More DLC whoring with all sorts of needless and random things that are largely embarrassing to just look at.

3) More or less the bloody same.

4) Writing that will make The Phantom Menace look like a flawless masterpiece.

5) It to come out before Versus. No, really. This wouldn't surprise me at all if it's actually going to be the case.

6) No real vision from the development team or passion in believing that they are making the best product they possibly can. Just tick as many boxes as you can on the "to-do" list to make up for the shortcomings of preceding games.

7) Retcon in as many things as you can!

8) Bad OST.

9) Be shorter than FFXIII-2 itself.

10) ̶F̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶F̶a̶n̶t̶a̶s̶y̶ ̶X̶I̶I̶I̶-̶4̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶

Even if they stop after this for real and end it as a trilogy, it's not even a good trilogy because it's blatantly obvious that Final Fantasy XIII was never originally intended to be a trilogy. As much as I grew to hate FFXIII's story, it at least wrapped itself up with a conclusion and it could have amiably ended there. Suddenly FFXIII-2 shows up, retcons a few things and hurls the universe into an incoherent mess that couldn't even contain its "story" in a single game. Now it has to be arbitrarily dragged to continue in a very possible third game. It won't be a proper trilogy. Trilogies tend to be pre-planned with some actual thought and coherently built up to be trilogies. The FFXIII-series is just a case of them saying they have free room to do whatever they want so long as it gives them plenty of yen in the bank.

Seriously WTF.

Hope he just teases and doesnt actually pursuit his Lightning fetish.
Why couldnt he have made FFXIII-2 all about Lightning and Serah and Noel just a part of it?

SE make this as an anime show consisting of a few eps or make a CGI movie or a novel, but DO NOT MAKE A FULL FLEDGED GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do this BEFORE VERSUS, I will freeking boycot everything with a SE stamp on it.
Fucking retards.

Not much news to me. They registered the trademark for Final Fantasy XIII-3 around last Christmas, pretty much the exact same time Squeenix announced they had only just started working on the actual game part of Versus XIII. I guess it took them about 7 years just to make purty cutscenes.

I will join you.

Sign me up as well... this is getting SO stupid...:raye:

meanwhile :

bridge

jumps off...

last words "Screw you Square- Enix .... "

:rage:

Cause of death : Dumb Video Game- Gitits. A terrible disease that affects Final Fantasy fans caused by Square Enix's greed, dumb choices and false promises.

I guess I am the only one who loved XIII-2!? =/. Granted I do not think they need to make a trilogy out of it but I really believe they will continue to story through DLC content.

A 3rd game would be just to much for XIII-2. I mean, how much more story could you make up?

I haven't played XIII-2, actually. I got XIII in preparation for it since XIII was cheap, and I can, without a doubt, confirm that XIII sucks pretty badly from what I've played and probably didn't deserve a second mention, let alone a second game. Though the sounds of XIII-2 made it out to be fairly good, I agree, I don't see how 'fairly good' qualifies a direct sequel to a direct sequel to a bad game. If nobody really clamored for a first sequel, why bother with a second?

Just you wait. FFXIII-3 will become a reality.....

....And Be so awesome no one will ever dare Squeenix again.

(......Wishful thinking? IDEK. The XIII Series needs to end fast. If XIII-3 becomes a reality i want it to be awesome. No more bullshit. i liked XIII and XIII-2 a lot. But really? The cow is all out of milk, Squeenix. You can't stop now.)

Just you wait. FFXIII-3 will become a reality.....

....And Be so awesome no one will ever dare Squeenix again.

(......Wishful thinking? IDEK. The XIII Series needs to end fast. If XIII-3 becomes a reality i want it to be awesome. No more bullshit. i liked XIII and XIII-2 a lot. But really? The cow is all out of milk, Squeenix. You can't stop now.)

Yup.

In all honesty, XIII and XIII-2 were not really bad games to me. Just...they lacked that FF feel. I can't explain it. But expecting SE to back a huge come back and turn FFXIII-3 into the most awesome FF ever? I wouldn't bet on it.

Yup.

In all honesty, XIII and XIII-2 were not really bad games to me. Just...they lacked that FF feel. I can't explain it. But expecting SE to back a huge come back and turn FFXIII-3 into the most awesome FF ever? I wouldn't bet on it.

They were pretty bad in general standards. XIII lacked great gameplay and interactive story, a good basis for any rpg.

And ffXIII-2 had a complete 180. The story just jumped into something random. Comparing ffX-2 to XIII-2 i would have to say at least ffx-2 connects to the original.

They nearly forgotten the mythos of 13 on this one.

The only way to like these games is by not connecting them together. Ff13 ended. Ff13-2 vomits over the ending and makes it lose its meaning. I actually enjoyed the ending of13. I thought it was the few things they did right. But now ff13 continues to be an acid trip.

The world is nearly impossible to understand. Its all style no substance. 13-2 has small changes. Cinematic scenes were good but they didnt find the right balance.

Toriyama just needs to be demoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back