[12/8]Laguna Confirmed for Dissidia Duodecim (also, world map stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
While most websites online will be focusing on the fact that Final Fantasy VIII's absent father, army man and kinda-sorta hero Laguna Loire will be joining the fight in Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy, a closer look at the scan from this week's Jump reveals something new and interesting: a world map.

Below the introduction to Laguna in the magazine there's a box which says "Some sort of world map has appeared?!" - it shows screenshots of a traditional FF-looking world map and of Lightning, Kain and Tifa walking around the map.

The text tells us that the game will have a PS1-era style world map in full 3D where players can run around with a party of three characters of their choice, old-school style. There's no word in the magazine on how the world map feature will factor into the story. Closer inspection reveals that it's the world map from Final Fantasy I in its entirety, though it's unlikely that it'll feature Final Fantasy I locations you can enter.

You can see the full story on Laguna's entry into the Dissidia series and the full-page version of the scan over in this story.

We'll keep digging and investigating and bring you any more news as we get it, so be sure to stick with us for the latest Final Fantasy news via our RSS Feed and Twitter Page! If you're into RPGs in general be sure to check out our sister site RPG Site and Follow them on Twitter!

You can preorder Dissidia Duodecim over at Play-Asia, and be one of the first to play.

worldmap_reveal.jpg

laguna_scan.jpg

source: uffsite.net
Also, /v/

*raises eyebrow*
Still not sold here. I'm not overly keen on Laguna as a character. Are they even going to BOTHER adding a new villain in this game, or are we just going to get saddled with a ton of heroes? First Tifa, now this. :hmph:

For me, the news just keeps getting better. Though Laguna made me cringe at points that I'm not even gonna bother pointing out because you can guess what ones I mean and the flashbacks did get tedious after you do more and more playthroughs of FFVIII, I find his character amusing and a nice contrast to Squall.

The world map look pretty awesome too, mind, I've missed it since they ditched them in FFX. :sad3: Tbh, the news just keeps selling to me. I was already looking forward to playing as Lightning and Tifa, now Laguna. They're just giving me more reasons to buy it now.

How are guns gonna be even possible in a Dissidia game. What the hell Square?

@Martel: Well we're still far off from release, so nothing is certain.

How are guns gonna be even possible in a Dissidia game. What the hell Square?

Are you complaining for the sake of complaining? That's like commenting on how they incorporate mages (Kuja, Ultimecia, The Emperor, Terra, Kefka, Golbez, ExDeath) into the game. Ranged fighting isn't exactly a first for Dissidia. At least see how he plays out before jumping on the 'it's shit' bandwagon.

Actually yes, I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. (Which of course makes me a big hypocrite)

But anyway, all points aside, I'll go ahead and wait and see how this goes out before I proclaim my verdict.

Well, I welcome this news. As Sonny has already stated, it'll be nice to have a contrast to Squall. I actually didn't mind Laguna in the original game and yes, even though he had his cringeworthy moments, I did like him as a character.

As for guns not being available? Well, I'm sure that's going to be explained when the game is released.

So, are they just adding an extra character from each of the FFs, or is it just a select few? At this point we have, Vaan, Tifa, Lightning, and now Laguna? I think they should add Beatrix next. :mokken:

Guns will work of course. Though I do wonder why when FF characters get shot they do not die and n the cutscenes when they get shot they die? Well nevermind that but eh not too happy about this. Did not like Laguna. I would have preffered Rinoa :sad3: As for all the other characters I hear they are going to be announced on the 14th :hmmm:

Laguna's an interesting choice.. the obvious would have been Seifer. :hmmm: Some disappointed fangirls out there now I bet. I'm intrigued... but a world map? Does D12 have a story? o;

Laguna made me chuckle a couple of times while playing the actual games. I thought he was pretty good to play with, so its interesting that he's going to be in Duodecim. And now a world map, that's pretty sweet. It felt odd not being able to go anywhere you wanted to in the first game (rather the character of choice would go wherever his or her storyline takes her). What I'm wondering now is if they're planning on adding any more adversaries (or have they?) :hmmm:. Seifer would be a good choice in that matter .

New world Map means no more chess boards or Destiny Points? HECK YES

also, blown up translated version

I'm thinking they're going to ignore FFIX altogether. Though, I'm hoping I'm wrong about that. I would love to see Freya, Beatrix, Vivi, or Steiner in it.

However, with all the heroes they're adding, are they even going to bother adding in other Villains? A Zorn and Thorn tag team would be awesome, or even the option of playing as Black Waltz #3. :hmmm:

Oh, my. Laguna looks lush <3 Even though I have totally not played the game before :wacky:

I don't like the world map. Seriously, it gives an idea of where's what, but I kinda liked the whole area thing in the original.

Laguna is in Duodecim!? Yaaaay! They sure came outta nowhere with his addition. :mokken:

I'm happy for any and all news on the game. It is a widely anticipated game in my book and I can't wait to experience Dissidia again! I am interested in how Laguna will fight, as he uses a gun. Hope it does break him in terms of range. :hmmm:

When will this game come out? It looks so much better than the original (which is still a good game by the way).

Are you seriously telling me they so out of characters ideas, they started stuffing in support cast?
Can't wait to play as Kimahri.

Why is everybody complaining about the news of Laguna ? :amg: Laguna is a outgoing and charismatic character, he's going to be a blast. People would of complained if Seifer was added, or complained if Rinoa was added, or complained if it was Irvine and Zell. At least be thankful that FF8 got a new character and wasn't ignored.:jtc:

who have they brought in :/ never heard of him :) (never played 8) hey ho i didn't know the likes of terra and bartz before dissidia 1 and i fell love with them :) rathered rhiona but he will do

dissidia stills really needs a thrid girl character for the comos side :) don't care who but needs someone

and the new world map looks kool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back