Who Was Stronger: Seifer or Squall?

Nikkolas

White Mage
Gil
In the beginning of the game, the two are relative equals as seen in the opening FMV to teh game...
At the end of Disk 1, Squall beats Seifer one-on-one.
However, every fight after this requires Squall getting assistance from two others to take down Seifer. (sure you can opt to do it Solo but the inherent "plot" idea is that Squal has two people helpign him)

So, do you think Seifer is stronger than Squall?

Actually, from a plot-wise viewpoint, I'm not sure. I mean, I know Seifer was the 'Sorceress Knight' and all and was the top dog under Edea and then Ultimecia, so he was probably improving at the same rate as Squall. However, I always found his fights really easy, so I'm not entirely sure... so I'd say they're equals right up until the last fight.

I always found the Seifer fights easy aswel, he didn't even use his trigger the tit, but yeah I always had him off pretty quick so Im going with Squall

Judging character strength by game mechanics is retarded. :monster:

Seifer is probably stronger because he always fights alone, whereas mentioned in the first post Squall has to have his allies help him. Game mechanics don't mean nothin' when everything is outlined differently by the story. :rolleyes:

Seifer is probably stronger because he always fights alone, whereas mentioned in the first post Squall has to have his allies help him. Game mechanics don't mean nothin' when everything is outlined differently by the story. :rolleyes:

Exactly, yes because guess who's the one sent to the Infirmary after the battle, Squall :neomon:

Seifer always fights alone, he doesn't uses Guardian Forces, heck he even took out Odin single handedly.

That's why I'm trying not to use game mechanics in this topic. You can use gameplay but nto game mechanics ie. how tough Seifer is in the fight be game mechanics. But fighting him with 3 people and what he can do in fights is just gameplay and kinda relates to the story.

Seifer owning Odin was awesome.

i reckon Seifer was stronger because in alot o the Vs Seifer fights you had your entire party to fook him over with not just Squall

Even so, you could have 'fooked him over' easily with Squall alone. I mean, in the Edea Battle in disc 1, he was only dealing 86 damage per hit to Squall. But as far tas the storyline goes, I think the two were supposed to be equals so they could have a proper rivalry.

I think that Seifer was supposed to be stronger than Squall the entire game but since he went rogue (i suppose) and turned his back on SeeD, he didnt get as much practice as Squall. Even still, he pwned Odin when you couldnt lol.

then judging by by the style of fighting is just as retarded:neomon:
squall > seifer
seifer gets all butthurt about being used by the sorceress and runs off, pretty cowardly, squall was being tortured by seifer and didnt confess, squall's silence made seifer lose.
At the end of the game squall fights the most powerfull sorceress in the world, seifer never could have been that brave or that powerfull.

Exactly, yes because guess who's the one sent to the Infirmary after the battle, Squall :neomon:
after he uses magic, yet he still gets cut up by squall:neomon:

Um, he didn't run off...we have no idea what in the world happens to Seifer after the fight with Adel except he's off with Fujin and Raijin at the end of the game. Where else is he supposed to go?

Oh and maybe Seifer could've fought her if he had two people helping him.

Well when I first saw the FMV intro, I thought Seifer looked all smug and confident with his fighting style and ability, while Squall looked almost...desperate? I mean, his moves were all over the place. Granted, he's a good fighter too, but I thought Seifer had the upper-hand at the time.

As the game progressed, I thought they were more equal than anything.

Well when I first saw the FMV intro, I thought Seifer looked all smug and confident with his fighting style and ability, while Squall looked almost...desperate? I mean, his moves were all over the place. Granted, he's a good fighter too, but I thought Seifer had the upper-hand at the time.

As the game progressed, I thought they were more equal than anything.

Well Squall was a bit annoyed because it seemed that Seifer taunted him with each move he made. Squall looked quite desperate to strike while Seifer always kept his cool and easily parried Squall's gunblade. Squall dropped his guard and Seifer used a spell to knock him down.

Seifer was stronger in my opinion in much more then just strength. He was passionate in what he wanted. He knew that he would have a great role in life, and he was sick of waiting for the Garden to give it to him, so he therefore took it in his own hands and made himself into the sorcess's knight.

After that, he proved that he honestly deserved the role again and again by jumping in head first to fight every battle he could in her name, making sure he challenged himself to his max each time. He took pleasure in absolutely pushing himself to the limits.

And as for Squall, he was passionate about Rinoa. That is what really drove him. That and maybe a simple since of duty. He too was strong, but he wasn't Seifer.

I'm leaning more towards the fact that Seifer always had the upper hand when it came to facing Squall as they grew up. However, FFVIII was the turning point as you see late in Disc 1 when they face, Squall defeats Seifer during the main story line and Seifer somewhat backs down then as the game progresses and you face him a few more times.

So I believe Seifer at first was the stronger of the 2, but then Squall surpassed Seifer in the game.

Squall was definitely portrayed as being stronger, at least towards the end of the game. During the beginning of the FMV, I'd say that they were on even terms with each other. Remember, Seifer might've given Squall a scar, but it isn't as though Squall didn't retalliate. Even after Seifer cheapshotted him with a Fire Spell (I'm assuming that they weren't permitted to use Magic in simple training bouts), Squall was able to give him a scar identical to his own. I'm guessing that's about where the fight ended, at least given that injury was sustained by both combatants. Yes, Seifer did probably have the upperhand seeing as how he had Squall kneeling, but he also had to resort to using Fire to do so. Taking into consideration the swordplay alone, the two appeared equally matched.

Either way, though, Squall definitely won their duel at the end of Disc 1, so it's really not worth arguing anyway. You simply can't deny that Seifer lost that fight. He even says something along the lines of "I...lost?!" or something like that. After the battle itself, he's on his knees with his weapon lowered whereas Squall is perfectly fine. At the end of Disc 1, Squall had definitely surpassed Seifer. Unless you want to try to argue that Seifer was holding back, but I really don't see how you could do that, considering Seifer was defending his beloved sorceress.

Yes, Squall did have help during his other fights against Seifer, but...what makes you so sure that he needed help? It isn't as though the party was tired after fighting Seifer. In fact, they had enough strength remaining after the fight to take on Edea, who was leagues above Seifer at the time. Yeah, Seifer did take out Odin, but I think that was more out of determination/adrenaline than anything else. Given the same circumstances (i.e. total desperation), I think Squall could've pulled off something like that during his initial adrenaline rush.

However, that's just speculation on my part. The fact remains, though, that Squall and Seifer only had one fair duel in which they were both going all-out, and Squall won. That's really all the evidence we have to go by at this point. We don't see either of them fighting in FMV's after that one duel, so we can't really say what either of them is capable of at the end of the game. All we have to go by is the training match (which basically ended in a draw), and the battle on the float (which Squall won).

Yeah, Seifer did take out Odin, but I think that was more out of determination/adrenaline than anything else. Given the same circumstances (i.e. total desperation), I think Squall could've pulled off something like that during his initial adrenaline rush.

I don't see this one at all. Seifer was just like he was at the start of every fight except he was more roughed up in this one. I don't see anything particularly different in his disposition or fighting except that he's gotten stronger and now has given up the Knight idea.

You have to remember, Seifer was basically a shell of a man by then. He'd lost everything; his pride, his dreams, his place at the Garden, even Fujin and Raijin had abandoned him. Though he might not have shown it, Seifer must've been a bubbling crackpot of emotion at that point. The guy had nothing left to fight for except for his romantic dream, and I'm willing to bet that he was prepared to fight tooth and nail for it. The sorceress was the only thing he had left. The fact that he was her knight was the only thing left to cling to, and now Squall and his friends were trying to take that away from him, as well. No doubt he was experiencing some sort of an adrenaline rush. Remember, actions speak volumes louder than words.

Well, yes, a lot of people do think Seifer was batshits by this point but it's mostly speculation. All he does is reiterate what he's said all throught eh game - that he wants to be part of something "big" and he doesn't want to "share" that glory with Squall.

Plus, Seifer has some advantages on Squall. He's a far fiercer fighter, he can use magic without GFs, etc..

Well, yes, a lot of people do think Seifer was batshits by this point but it's mostly speculation. All he does is reiterate what he's said all throught eh game - that he wants to be part of something "big" and he doesn't want to "share" that glory with Squall.

Plus, Seifer has some advantages on Squall. He's a far fiercer fighter, he can use magic without GFs, etc..
Like L said its retarded to judge by game mechanics, which voids your arguement.

I dont think he was 'batshit insane' but he is definetly mentally unhinged, just think what he has been through, he isnt sane.

Seifer was stronger in my opinion in much more then just strength. He was passionate in what he wanted. He knew that he would have a great role in life, and he was sick of waiting for the Garden to give it to him, so he therefore took it in his own hands and made himself into the sorcess's knight.

After that, he proved that he honestly deserved the role again and again by jumping in head first to fight every battle he could in her name, making sure he challenged himself to his max each time. He took pleasure in absolutely pushing himself to the limits.

And as for Squall, he was passionate about Rinoa. That is what really drove him. That and maybe a simple since of duty. He too was strong, but he wasn't Seifer
you are quite right, squall wasnt seifer, seifer is little more than any sorceress' sidekick throughout. He never does anything by himself, he is just following orders.
Squall saves the world and rinoa, seifer's greatest achievement= killing odin.
there is really no comparison.
And seifer goes back on his dream, he isnt commited enough to his dream to keep going with it, nor is he commited enough to stay loyal to his friends.
Seifer is just a pawn of Ultamecia, nothing more

Back