Vets Lounge

The people who stay long enough to get 1000 posts are usually people that will have friends of some sorts on this forum, and therefore the kind of people which people would like to see in the Veteran Lounge. A spambot, obvious troll or a noob who doesn't know how to post wouldn't ever make it that far.

You'd be surprised... t.t

You'd be surprised... t.t

We all have our own personalities and ways of typing and such, but I've not yet seen the Veteran Lounge infiltrated by a spambot or a serious troll. Sure we have people who tease one another and sometimes cause :rage:, but not real trolls (if trolls even exist, I think a lot of the time a troll becomes a troll because he gives up on the community as he feels that he has no place there, and people gather around and lynch him).

And people who mean no harm but do not post more than a sentence are either told by mods to put more effort into their posts, have their posts deleted, or learn that posting isn't their strongpoint and either stay in the SB for a while or leave. I don't see any of those people reaching 1000 posts either unless they learn how to change the way they post.

larger avatar and the silver star were the perks for me, tbh. xD

But I agree that 60 days is way too long for a name change. Could we reduce it to anywhere between 30-45 days? :hmmm:

To be honest, I think 1000 posts and 1 year membership is fine. However, we could have a usergroup called Founders. Which would be the first 1k members. It however would not grant access to Veterans. You would just get a special star in your profile. Maybe you would get a bigger pm box and maybe some other perks.

May be my own lack of time and posts spent on this forum, but I think it's just too long and too much. I'm sorry, but I spent ages getting my post count up to 1000. I'd still be here this time next year. It's too high. As for usernames. 30 days is enough.

This has already been discussed amongst staff and it won't be happening. Sorry, guys.

I actually don't see the problem of vets having an interval of 60 days to have name changes. It's not too long or short in my opinion - it's certainly an improvement in comparison to an extra month that full members have to wait for.

It isn't too long that the wait is just frustrating, and it isn't too short of a wait that we have slight headaches from all the name changes in relatively short lengths of time.

I think people change their names too often. I would rather see it more like every 90 days.

I'd rather remove the limit entirely, it makes absolutely no sense why other members should have any say on what usernames we use.

I mean really. Does it change what our posts contain? No. Does it affect your ability to tell who members are? No, because you can look at their name history. It's simply a freedom to allow people to appear how they want without having to make duplicate accounts.

Honestly, as long as it's not every week, I don't think it's too many changes.

I'd rather remove the limit entirely, it makes absolutely no sense why other members should have any say on what usernames we use.

I mean really. Does it change what our posts contain? No. Does it affect your ability to tell who members are? No, because you can look at their name history. It's simply a freedom to allow people to appear how they want without having to make duplicate accounts.
Pretty much summed it all up for me.

I would just like to say one thing. Applesauce. That is all.
Ain't that spam, bud? :mokken:

Seriously though, why does it even matter how often a name change occurs? People usually will have something to let people identify them. Like sigs, avies, ways of speaking, friend lists, etc.

So is there really a problem?

You know there is a remedy for the whole username thing. I can imagine the reason why mods hate reoccuring name changes is because then no one knows who is who, correct? Well in a recent vb update there's an AKA field, in which people can update it themselves to show what recent name change they had.

But maybe it's the hassle of the mods having to change these names. I believe there's a hack available for vb that allows you to change one of the already occurring fields in the user profile, and you can change it to the username, allowing people to change their names on their own... GIVEN they update their AKA.

Solutions are fun, no?

Also just wondering, what are the current requirements to be a Vet member? o_O

They already said their decision on the matter so any further posting is futile in relation to the original topic, hence, applesauce.

I would rather have no name changes seeing as i rarely visit anymore and when i do, everyone has changed their names 50 times so i can't see who they are even if i do look at their history.

You know there is a remedy for the whole username thing. I can imagine the reason why mods hate reoccuring name changes is because then no one knows who is who, correct? Well in a recent vb update there's an AKA field, in which people can update it themselves to show what recent name change they had.

But maybe it's the hassle of the mods having to change these names. I believe there's a hack available for vb that allows you to change one of the already occurring fields in the user profile, and you can change it to the username, allowing people to change their names on their own... GIVEN they update their AKA.

Solutions are fun, no?

Also just wondering, what are the current requirements to be a Vet member? o_O
First, to be a vet you gotta be a here for a year and have 1000 posts.

Second, that's a great solution! An AKA title would help a lot. And Admins don't have to update your names. There's an option that people can change their names by themselves. I did it once. My sis did it a few times.

So, solution here.

First, to be a vet you gotta be a here for a year and have 1000 posts.
And they want to lengthen that? frick

See, now I wasn't sure about the updating yourself because most other vb forums I've gone to they didn't have that hack. But if it's available more power to them. :monster:

Also glancing down I see we're on vb 3.6.8, whereas afaik vb is up to 3.8 by now. Updating it would get the AKA field plus a lot of other little features.

Just a suggestion maybe worth thinking aboot.

1,000 posts and 1 year = veteran member = fine. :)

The ability to change your username within the required limit is also fine.

As for the AKA title, there's a hack installed so that when you hover over a username, it automatically shows you who those users were in the past.

We've already asked the owner countless times to upgrade, but he doesn't seem to think it's still necessary. We can give it another try though. The last time we were almost successful...

As for the AKA title, there's a hack installed so that when you hover over a username, it automatically shows you who those users were in the past.

We've already asked the owner countless times to upgrade, but he doesn't seem to think it's still necessary. We can give it another try though. The last time we were almost successful...

HAH. I've never noticed that. It's not very obvious, but still handy. xD Pretty much serves as an AKA field then.

As for updating good luck. There are a lot of neat features still out there that we haven't caught up with, and while we can live without, they're still cool. Forum wiki's, photo albums members can add to...

I think people change their names too often. I would rather see it more like every 90 days.
I agree with this. Name changes are far too frequent. It's a nice luxury to have, but it gets abused too much. Maybe just have restrictions to time span and do away with theme-based changes, because that's the loop-hole for more changes which becomes more confusing.

90 days sounds good to me, possibly longer or have permanent usernames. That's just my thoughts. :ryan:

Back