FFX: What would you change?

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
Hmmm I never make FF threads hahaha but it's FFX week or whatever so I'm gonna throw one out there.

Almost everyone loves this game to pieces and talk about how near perfecto it is. But if there was one or two things you could change about the game, what would it be? What bothered you the most? I can be something about game play or maybe the story or the characters.

For me, I hated almost all the voice actors, I would have them do it again if I could but I can't :( and also I would have scrapped Wakka because the is the worst FF character in any game for me hahaha :griin:

Now you!

Also I checked over the whole one page of FFX and could not find a topic like this so hopefully it is not a dupe or something. :toni:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite likely to be a common response...but I'd change the cloister of trials. :wacky:

I wouldn't necessarily change the trials in Besaid, Macalania or Zanarkand, but I WOULD change the trial in Bevelle. Furthermore, I'd want to vary the challenges a little. The trials were quite monotonous! >_<

The clock puzzles in XIII-2 were fantastic (so much fun to work out on paper!) so those could feature in one or two of the trials! I enjoy questionnaires in FF games too :lew: in which you have to show just how much you've absorbed whilst playing the game. ;)

Each trial could also feature a variety of puzzles. For example, one clock puzzle, one pattern

The clock puzzles in XIII-2 were fantastic.

:raye:

No they weren't! Lol. I was often too lazy to figure out the larger ones. It was kinda frustrating. In the end, I used the internet tool some people made :P

On-topic, I would change the penultimate boss a little. It's so freaking difficult. The game itself is in fact tough in my perspective. Also, I don't like it when I'm obliged to use a character to gain experience level. I wish it's like XIII/XIII-2 where everyone gains EXP even when they are not in the party.

I would also want to change the maps a little. They are a little too linear... A few branches and connections to other maps would be brilliant. I think they also underused the ship. There could be more ships travelling around Spira.

And the voice acting. Need I say more? I think the Japanese one is better.

Wait wait. Don't get me wrong. I like this game lol.

To change that god awful sphere grid :hmph: Everyone loves it but I hate it! I think that you need levels, you just do. For every character I was at the end and I hated how Kimahri was forced to copy another's path. He became worse and was utterly useless :hmph: I was at the end for all my characters with a lot of the game to go, and then you had to branch out to other characters and they all became similar. And in the beginning after that stupid attempt to destroy sin, I never had any ability spheres so I had to stick around fighting those snakes :hmph: I just hated the sphere grid, couldn't they have had levels on top of the sphere grid?

To change that god awful sphere grid :hmph: Everyone loves it but I hate it! I think that you need levels, you just do. For every character I was at the end and I hated how Kimahri was forced to copy another's path. He became worse and was utterly useless :hmph: I was at the end for all my characters with a lot of the game to go, and then you had to branch out to other characters and they all became similar. And in the beginning after that stupid attempt to destroy sin, I never had any ability spheres so I had to stick around fighting those snakes :hmph: I just hated the sphere grid, couldn't they have had levels on top of the sphere grid?

But the sphere grid is the same essentually as the level system, it's just that instead of the level giving you set attributes it lets you choose what to give which characters. I never found that the characters became similar, Lulu for example, once her grid was used up I put her onto Yuna's so that she'd continue to gain in magic, I just didn't have her learn the abilities so she was still a black mage and not something in between black and white.

You have the choice with the sphere grid, if the characters are becoming similar it's because you're giving them the same stuff. I'm playing through the game for about the fifth time and this time I mixed everything up and had Tidus a mage, Lulu a thief, Yuna a warrior, Auron a white mage and so on, and it's worked! This is about the only game where that's possible, that you can change their role completely from what it was intended to be.

If I were to change something it'd be how you level up the aeons, I think they should have been like characters, with a sphere grid of their own, not like weapons where you had to use items to gain stats for them.

Xx..xX

I wouldve changed blitzball to a more realtime aspect as to having to stop and choose what ur actions were gonna be. like choose to do so on the run, a button for pass, a button for shoot, & all that. and depending on where u are, how good ur shot was & where its at, and how good the goalie was the calculations wouldve been made to see if u scored or not. I guess kinda like a basketball aspect a lil bit? o.0. a 15 min game of blitzball could last 45 mins due to everything u had to plan out.

I would change the voice actor who played Yuna, terrible, annoying and often comical delivery of lines. Oh and blitzball it got very tedious very quickly, like the comment above me said if it was in real time and you weren't constantly stopping and starting, it would have been awesome. The last boss should have been way way harder.

When you levelled up enough all of the characters became the exact same in terms of abilities, attack power, and absolutely every stat. Only Yuna had a unique ability in summon. Magic also became pointless at max levels because it hit the same amount as an attack but had a longer recovery time. I don't think they could have changed this much and it didn't really affect the main game. Maybe everyone could have had one thing that no one else could learn, not just Yuna.

They should have made it possible to skip cutscenes.
Also, I agree with giving the aeons their own sphere grids, that would have been awesome!

Blitzball should of had maybe a bit more depth, I agree with others about the aeons having their own sphere grid. I mean like FF8 had that sort of approach but their leveling gave benefits to the character they are equipped to. Skipping cut scenes is always a necessity due to the fact is FFX's were very dialogue heavy. I would also say a bit of character customization like FFVII and FFXII which I found nailed that aspect of the game.

Give it a worldmap where the ship would be more used etc.

Able to change gear/outfits as well.
Chocobo farm.
More secluded secret areas other than omega ruins and some codes you had to type on the ship. So basicly more adventurous and exploring element.
Discarding lulu's lightning thunder sigil/crest quest! Never completed her ultimate weapon :(

I loved Wakka!
I liked all the VA's.

*Give the game a full world map and different routes to get to Zanakand. The route you pick will determine the bosses you get and the more you find out about Spira and the world Tidus is in.

*Give the game a playable airship like in FF9 FF6 FF7 etc etc etc

* Remove Wakka from the game. He's stupid and annoying.

* Give Tidus a different VA. James Arnold Taylor is okay with his other roles but he's just not as great as Tidus; sadly.

* Not have so many damn Seymour fights. I'll remove the last one within Sin as it's sort of too easy for that time in the game anyways. The awesome music that plays then would be moved to the fight on Mt Gagazet and that would be the last battle with him. Yuna will send him there and he'll be gone.

* Remove the Chocobo Eater monsters. Most of us have grown up with Chocobos and love them like our very own personal pet cat or dog. Expect we just can't pat them. Seeing them get eaten alive is just.... disturbing. {And that Chocobo that gets murdered at Grand Pulse in FF13 ugh horrible.]

Yaay 500 posts !

:reptar:

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the voice acting in this game! xD; And the sphere grid system was a nice break from the regular leveling system...

My Suggestions:
1) Make it easier for Aeons to level up/increase their stats.
2) Change the last boss. Enough said. xD

A lot could've been changed.

1] Khimahri is shit. Absolute worthless shit. Get rid of him.

2] Same for Wakka. The only reason I ever used him was to hit aerial enemies.

3] Do something other than Blitzball. Shittiest minigame I've ever played. Except maybe the jump rope in FFIX.

4] Make Lulu actually be better at magic than Yuna. I gave Yuna Two blackmagic spheres and taught her two mid level -ara spells. Lulu was using -aga and doing about 2k less damage.

5]Make Rikku worth using. I let Yuna slip in to Rikku's section and she learned Use and Steal. After that, Rikku was useless.

6] Take his section of the Sphere grid away from Tidus'.

there's nothing id change really, aside from Aurons sending, which deserved far more than a cutscene, I thought it was pretty much perfect other than that, i didnt love Tidus or Yuna, but I dont think Id change them... :hmmm:

Also, I agree with giving the aeons their own sphere grids, that would have been awesome!

never thought of that, thats a great idea.. i never bothered infusing them with items i didnt see the point, so yeah, that too :monster:

I would have done a LOT. From the top of my head:

1) Shoot - or more nicely, just tell them to do something else - whoever designed these characters. Especially Seymour with his laughably ridiculous hair, his pyjamas, his chest and his midriff sticking out. I want to feel intimidated by my villains, and good designs often play a large factor in doing so. I don't want to be laughing at them, because they look like satirical fantasy designs.

2) The final boss. Oh my God. What the heck happened there? Did they decide to just shrug their shoulders when thinking of what to do for Yu Yevon? They could have done so much more with Yu Yevon entirely, as well as the battles you have with the guy. Honest to God, I actually consider Braska's Final Aeon as being the true final villain.

3) Stop doing the same sphere puzzles for each damn temple sans the Tetris Zanarkand one! At least change it up a bit with variety, rather than force me to spend all those tedious moments running around with spheres, or in Bevelle's case, stare at Tidus's butt as the conveyer belt is constantly moving around. I didn't like the spheres, and here I was having to sit through it around 5 times. No thanks. Something else, please.

4) Have the ability to skip cutscenes. Say you wish to avoid the laughing scene for instance, rather than having to endure its painful execution. Is it so hard to have had the ability to skip them like in FFXII? That's something else that FFX could have simply done.

5) Is there a way to make Wakka less of a complete dumbass? So, your brother used an Al-Bhed weapon, but ended up squished by Sin. Of course! Let's blame the Al-Bhed instead of the creature! Oh, what's that? The destruction of the Al-Bhed Home is like happy festival fireworks? Way to go, dude. If you have nothing worth saying, Wakka, shut up. Please.

6) Put in some more effort with the towns. Luca for a city is crap, and Square have shown themselves perfectly capable of constructing metropolises worth exploring and comfortably sizeable, such as FFXII's Rabanastre. The fact that FFX bitterly disappointed me in this area after I played through FFXII has made this worth bringing up.

7) Blitzball. Where to begin with Blitzball? Some love it, but I detest it. I find it horrendously dull. There is no sense of tension as the speed crawls along slower than a limbless person carrying bricks in a rucksack in mud trying to go uphill. And why is there no third dimension? It's all on a 2D plane, which is baffling considering playing a sport in an aquatic sphere would immediately mean allowing players to go up and down. I don't know what I would have done with Blitzball, really. I would immediately think of something like FIFA with the real time, but with more volleyballs and water and less grass, but I really doubt Square could have pulled it off well enough without it sucking.

8) Make Yuna less of a dumbass. The whole marriage sham she decided to participate in for the sake of simply trying to talk Seymour out of it while attempting to hide it from the very people she is supposed to trust and rely on for her life is frankly a bit stupid.

9) Maybe I'm a bit of a traditionalist at times, but I didn't like the idea of having save spheres just heal you instantly like that. I've always felt that with Rin's travel agencies scattered around, they would be the logical place to drop by to rest as proper inns.

10) Find a way to curb back on the linearity. FFX could have had a series of branching locations in a similar vein to FFXII, encouraging players to actively look around and explore rather than simply follow the red arrow, which for nearly the entire game, you wouldn't need with how straightforward everything is. I like what they did with Mi'ihen in terms of two differing paths, so more of that would have been nice.

11) That weird bit inside Sin. The one with crystal stalagmites shooting out from the ground while you're trying to collect some items, while being thrust into battles whenever you run into the stalagmites. The trouble is, the camera is so unhelpful in this instance that the whole section is irritating. The ability to rotate the camera around at least could have been nice, or alternatively, do something else instead of a crystal stalagmite room.

12) Some of these voices. I never liked Yuna's voice. Hedy Burress, I am sure you are a wonderfully talented person, but I've never liked the weak voice you give to Yuna. Sure, I suppose it fits with her character (until you get to FFX-2...), but I would have changed it. Tidus's voice has always sounded obnoxiously whiny to me.

13) Where the heck are the Moogles and Tonberries. What?! Plush dolls? As Lulu's weapons?! What is this stupidity?

14) It would have been nice to have had a decent villain. You can make the case for Seymour being a decent villain, until his thin sinister vaneer of menace is quickly cast off and he essentially becomes a pest - like a running gag - in that you fight him multiple times while no one contemplates sending him until after 4 times. Yu Yevon the crappy bug at the end is laughably awful and wasted, while Grand Maester Mika is pretty much throwaway with how little I remember of the guy.

15) Auron should have had his own big send-off moment. Instead, he has to share the "death" sequence with Tidus, and Tidus is evidently hogging up the attention?!

16) Give Toriyama the job of making the sandwiches rather than the director's chair.

I would overhaul completely this, quite frankly, mediocre game.

For the sake of brevity, I would turn Tidus (or rid the world of his insufferable little ass) into a minor character and focus the main storyline on Auron (perhaps focusing on Braska's story branch instead of Yuna's)

1. A world Map
2. More dialogue choices during the game

This game is almost perfect, the story and characters is great and the battle system is awesome.

Ok.....

1.) For the HD remaster I would give the VA's the chance to redo some of their lines if they feel they don't like the job they did the first time around. I know JAT has mentioned that he didn't like the way certain lines came out.
2.) Dark Aeons for us NA players
3.) Blitzball could have some more depth and control in the game. I liked Spoony's idea of being able to go up in the sphere pool or down. The straight line kinda makes it dull and boring.

Other than that I love the game. It's my favorite in the series, and my favorite game ever. lol. So I don't really wanna change much.

On topic, yet slightly off topic: In regards to the HD Remaster I would like to see some references, possibly, to the events mentioned in X-2 (maybe seeing the characters in the Crimson Squad in Mushroom Rock Road, references to a popular songstress from Zanarkand (see avatar), etc.) I think that would be cool to have for the remaster. lol.

I would make Tidus look cooler or at least manlier, I feel like I'm playing as Justin Bieber. Also, quite possibly make some of those sigils/crests easier to get -__- 0'00'00 time on that chocobo game took me days. As well as that lightning dodger, smh.

Also I feel like some of the bosses should've been stronger, like maybe all of them lol. Or at least have a NG+ where they scale with your level at a set pace :3

Back