FFX: What would you change?

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Yeah, so it's a random yet defining moment, lol! Are you saying that it's not a moment but a situation?
The situation is the defining part. the moment was a choice on the developers.....example: Yuna could've asked Tidus to scream. He could've asked him to make a joke, anything really....

the situation felt necessary, but the moment is based on the choice to ask Tidus to do "something". it could've been anything, therefore random to ask him to "laugh" in such a way.

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I dunno, I think the laugh was pretty perfect. He'd already done the scream before, it would have felt like a copy of a scene they'd already done. The forced laughing I think worked perfectly. I'm not confident that a change to that scene would make the moment better at all.

Hunsdale

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Oh that is easy. They should change the leveling system. It bugs me because you have to use all your players in each battle to get them experience instead of just making it a team battle where if you win your party levels up. So many fight would take about 15-20 secs max but instead you must drag them out and use everyone to get them experience. I usually just bring them on screen and press Triangle and put them in defense mode and run through everyone then end the fight. Not all that much work but still I find it a pain in the ass.

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I dunno, I think the laugh was pretty perfect. He'd already done the scream before, it would have felt like a copy of a scene they'd already done. The forced laughing I think worked perfectly. I'm not confident that a change to that scene would make the moment better at all.
Well i think otherwise. to me, its not consistent with the rest of the game.

but overall, i can see other ways....other more sensible, on the spot, ways.

BustaMo

Bang-a-Rang!
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
With having only played the American version of the game that was released on the Playstation 2, I missed out on facing off against the Dark Aeon's like my friends overseas. I would have loved to ahve given that a shot and had a bigger challenge toward the end of the game.

Also, I would have liked them to say Tidus' name throughout the game instead of him just being referred to as "him".

Ed Elric

Fullmetal
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Oh that is easy. They should change the leveling system. It bugs me because you have to use all your players in each battle to get them experience instead of just making it a team battle where if you win your party levels up. So many fight would take about 15-20 secs max but instead you must drag them out and use everyone to get them experience. I usually just bring them on screen and press Triangle and put them in defense mode and run through everyone then end the fight. Not all that much work but still I find it a pain in the ass.
I completely agree with that. I had thought that the leveling in the game was tedious and a very long process. I've spent over 100 hours on the game before, trying to have superior characters, but there was no point in the end. I felt as though my time spent leveling was completely wasted.

Also, I would have liked them to say Tidus' name throughout the game instead of him just being referred to as "him".

YES YES YES. I couldn't stand the game because of this one issue. Maybe because it was the first Final Fantasy to hit PS2? I have no idea the reasoning behind that and I felt like they should've gotten rid of the option to change his name the first place.. the game just didn't feel complete almost like he wasn't even an important character.

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
YES YES YES. I couldn't stand the game because of this one issue. Maybe because it was the first Final Fantasy to hit PS2? I have no idea the reasoning behind that and I felt like they should've gotten rid of the option to change his name the first place.. the game just didn't feel complete almost like he wasn't even an important character.
It was because in X they let you rename Tidus so nobody could ever say his name because it might not have been the name the player went for. I think they let you rename him because it was something the player had always had the option with in main characters. They've learned their lesson now.

Josef Hare

Lord Benovine
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I'd change the mini-games, they're a terrible way to unlock ultimate weapons in my opinion, especially when they're so tightly locked into the restrictive game-engine that nothing really moves like it should e.g chocobo racing.

Other than that, Tidus's name would be pronounced in-game. I get that it was weaning the fans away from being able to rename every character, but it felt was noticeable and created awkward mispronunciations by fans afterwards.

Galadín

Staff member
Global Moderator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Salvae Celeres
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Symphony
There were a few things that sort of irritated me in this game (Sphere Grid *cough cough*) but the one thing that stood out to me was the whole "Walk three steps after your posse into another cinematic" thing. That sort of shenanigans just makes me grind my teeth. It's not like you're going to be able to run off somewhere else and do something meaningful, so why not just have Tidus walk the few steps in the cinematic and get it over with? This cinematic > walk a few steps > cinematic shindig happened so many times in places where free roaming really wasn't an option (and there's not a hell lot of leveling you're going to be able to do in such a small distance) that it just made me dislike the story and character interaction somewhat. It ended up feeling a bit pointless and silly.

Cardinal Copia

Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Prenneaux Grauhemoix
FFXIV Server
Lamia
The biggest thing I'd change is being able to fly the airship around. The idea of just choosing your location on a menu is absolutely lame. I'd love to fly around Spira and be more involved with the atmosphere. I've never been a fan of choosing a destination and just teleporting there. Fuck that noise.

I'd also change the AI in blitzball. Despite how much I love this mini game, the simple fact is that opponent AI is easily manipulated and they just act stupid. I'm sorry but I shouldn't be able to just stand there with the ball, or swim backwards and them do absolutely nothing. Especially when the clock is running and getting late in the game. They need to be alot more aggressive and not be complete derps. Period.

Thule Esperada

Blue Mage
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Removing the horrid minigame requirements for powering up celestial weapons. Blitzball is tolerable, but everything else is just... *shudder*

Example

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Make the level design more complex.
Bring back the world map.
Add a "skip cutscene" option.

Trias_Pandora

Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Everyone else has basically pointed out alot of what I would want changed in Final Fantasy X, but I think the biggest change I would add would be...Leviathan. This game finally had Water have multiple ranks like the Big Spells Fire, Lightning and Ice. But where's Leviathan? Gone. Apparently chilling under the Moonflow with a mai-tai and a sign on his door saying do not disturb.

I felt his/her exclusion was a missed opportunity for Square to really up the summon's abilities and design. One possible reason they didn't include it would be them saying that Leviathan and Sin were essentially the same thing, but then I'd have to ask if Leviathan had the power to pull down the moon. Which the Sea Serpent doesn't. They only deal in water.