Multiple Platforms Dragon Age Origins

Mitsuki: I didn't have any troubles keeping the NPCs alive (at least, not the second time around; first time I kinda just winged my way through the game as a Mage with Fireball. xD) in that quest. Did you do all of the side quests before you skipped to nightfall? Boost morale with drinks/the Chantry's blessing, intimidate the dwarves to take part, get the blacksmith to help out by promising to rescue his daughter, etc. I think there is something to add fire to the village defenses at the start as well; the men are all pretty resilient if you do all that.

I haven't tried that yet, but I will at some point. You can't heal who you want to in the PS3/360 version?

@Mitsuki: I didn't have any troubles keeping the NPCs alive (at least, not the second time around; first time I kinda just winged my way through the game as a Mage with Fireball. xD) in that quest. Did you do all of the side quests before you skipped to nightfall? Boost morale with drinks/the Chantry's blessing, intimidate the dwarves to take part, get the blacksmith to help out by promising to rescue his daughter, etc. I think there is something to add fire to the village defenses at the start as well; the men are all pretty resilient if you do all that.

Yeah I did all those, (even add oil to the barrels) except for convincing Lloyd with free ale for the knights. I kinda screwed up with my choices there and persuaded him to hand over 80 silvers instead. :lew: (I noticed that coins are scarce in this game, but I kinda like the challenge). So Lloyd wasn't in the battle, and I'm assuming those three knights weren't as well...? I don't know, I wonder if that could have tipped the scale a little.

I guess I will find out. Gonna restart that - good thing I saved before I started that mission. I'm now considering fighting Flemeth too before going to Redcliff - maybe then I'll have a better chance defeating foes much quicker if I level up. But last I tried to fight Flemeth, I failed so hard.

@Draklor - I can heal only my character allies, not NPCs. =/ In PC, it's possible to heal NPCs, is it not..?

I'd have to try... I'll go do that right now actually :lew: I'm pretty sure you can heal whatever you can click on in the PC version :P

Yeah I did all those, (even add oil to the barrels) except for convincing Lloyd with free ale for the knights. I kinda screwed up with my choices there and persuaded him to hand over 80 silvers instead. :lew: (I noticed that coins are scarce in this game, but I kinda like the challenge). So Lloyd wasn't in the battle, and I'm assuming those three knights weren't as well...? I don't know, I wonder if that could have tipped the scale a little.

I guess I will find out. Gonna restart that - good thing I saved before I started that mission. I'm now considering fighting Flemeth too before going to Redcliff - maybe then I'll have a better chance defeating foes much quicker if I level up. But last I tried to fight Flemeth, I failed so hard.
I would have thought they'd still be in the battle, only not quite as motivated as they otherwise would have been, although I'm not sure :hmmm:

If you want to level up more, I'd suggest doing a different quest (have you done Nature of the Beast? That is probably the shortest of the four main plot quests) as opposed to tackling Flemeth...who pwned me at a low level as well; I killed her just before the Landsmeet. She's harder to kill than even the High Dragon. xD

Okay I just tried it. You can heal NPCs, but Wynne's healing doesn't heal too much to Murdock and revival doesn't work on him when he's dead :\ I accidentally killed Dwynn so I might go back to an earlier save and get him to help along with Lloyd. I got everything else, though. Except the Chantry blessing. Don't want to intimidate her and piss her off xP

EDIT: Managed to keep Murdock alive after I reloaded a save and redid everything. He dies pretty fast, though, so I had to constantly be healing him. Didn't get any sort of helmet, though.

Okay apparently I didn't keep every NPC alive. I only see Murdock and Ser Perth. Lloyd died, and I'm not sure about Dwyn. Oh well.

Last edited:
It doesn't make much of a difference, and if you want to get anywhere near close to completing the game you'll have to do another playthrough. Just remember to always do the circle quest before you do the Radcliffe one.

I finished the Redcliffe part and chose to do the blood magic way and sacrifice Isolde. Lost some major points with Wynne, but no matter what you choose you lose points from her (although less from the other option; I tried both). Went on to look for the sacred Urn of Andraste and am currently in Denerim. Recruited the assassin, too. His name starts with a Z and I completely forgot it somehow. Oh well. Still keeping Leilana because she has a higher ranked lockpicking skill.

I finished the Redcliffe part and chose to do the blood magic way and sacrifice Isolde. Lost some major points with Wynne, but no matter what you choose you lose points from her (although less from the other option; I tried both). Went on to look for the sacred Urn of Andraste and am currently in Denerim. Recruited the assassin, too. His name starts with a Z and I completely forgot it somehow. Oh well. Still keeping Leilana because she has a higher ranked lockpicking skill.

Zevran? xD
I'd suggest defying the cult; you get some nice weapons and experience out of it, and if you've got Leliana in your party, she'll actually attack you if you try to defile the Urn, IIRC...Wynne might as well.
DO NOT ring the gong to summon the High Dragon unless you're prepared, though. I'd even suggest leaving that until you're a higher level. You get some nice stuff out of it, but its quite a hard boss to beat.

Okay, defile the cult but not the urn and don't fight the dragon. Got it. Don't think I could afford to lose Wynne right now Leliana maybe a little bit because I could always replace her with Zevran and rank up his lockpicking. And I'm only level 10 anyways so a dragon is probably a terrible idea right now :P And yes, Zevran xP

Well, if you wanted to defile the Urn, you could just pick different party members when you get through the mountain and into the sanctuary bit itself. If your coercion skill/relationship with the characters is high enough, you can just lie about it when they confront you about it, and they'll stay in your party. I'm not sure if you'd be able to persuade either of them to let you defile the Urn in their presence (I never tried to. xD) but you could always try it if you felt like it. xD

I think I'd rather get the urn anyways :P I'm all for doing anything to save Arl Eamon and getting rid of Teryn Loghain :yay:

DRAGON AGE

As some of you know I bought Dragon Age Origins instead of FFXIII-2.
One of the very best gaming decisions I have ever made.

I love Dragon Age Origins.The subtilities, the romances, the comments the characters make to one another.All enjoyable.
I am really wondering if it might be the best rpg ever made.
Certainly one of the very best of all time imo.

Dragon Age 2 sadly didn't live up to the fans expectations if you read the message boards.Most Origins fans seem to pan it and hate it and while I intend to get it soon , I find it sad that Bioware let its fans down by rushing out the second game and changing it so the fans were alienated so badly.

Now we hear that dlc for 2 has been cancelled so the company can work on 3 and they're using Skyrim for inspiration:

http://kotaku.com/5896021/skyrim-is-the-wrong-place-to-look-for-dragon-age-iii-inspiration

Not a good choice imo.They should just go back to Origins and enlarge on that.I am afraid Bioware , on the heels on Dragon Age 2 and ME3 are making just more mistakes and damaging their signature franchises even more.

Oh well, their loss. and sadly ours too.

I can't seem to find enough rpgs I like.FF has gone so far down downhill it's not relevant to me and I wonder what there is to look forward to if the entire genre suffers from mistake-itis on the part of the game developers.

:hal:

i didn't really enjoy origins (from a gameplay perspective)

the gameplay was not functional and just features one of those UIs where I have to pause the game to be able to tell what the fuck just happened

But as far as the DLC goes, I feel like DA2 was pretty well done. Kinda suggests the actual game's environments were a bit shit, and respectfully they were, but I feel like the game felt just fine in Legacy and Mark of the Assassin.

But that article is so full of shit lol

The reason why people didn't like DA2 wasn't because the combat didn't suck and actually had a UI that wasn't slapped together in 30 seconds and called proper, it's because the world was extremely redundant and the characters were not as fun. I guess the story was not that cool either, but it is so far from the amount of shit that people give it.

I never had to pause the game to tell what was going on

i didn't really enjoy origins (from a gameplay perspective)

the gameplay was not functional and just features one of those UIs where I have to pause the game to be able to tell what the fuck just happened

But as far as the DLC goes, I feel like DA2 was pretty well done. Kinda suggests the actual game's environments were a bit shit, and respectfully they were, but I feel like the game felt just fine in Legacy and Mark of the Assassin.

But that article is so full of shit lol

The reason why people didn't like DA2 wasn't because the combat didn't suck and actually had a UI that wasn't slapped together in 30 seconds and called proper, it's because the world was extremely redundant and the characters were not as fun. I guess the story was not that cool either, but it is so far from the amount of shit that people give it.

for me it was a lot cleaner than FFXIII was.

shrugs.

You are entitled to your opinion.I happened to believe that Dragon Age Origins is one of the best rpgs of all time.

As far as the article went it seems to reflect the views of most of the fans of Origins who feel that the second game came up short and that Bioware needs to redeem themselves.

We'll see what happens in due time.:hal:

I feel you Wolf, I dunno if it's just my age but I can't seem to find any RPG's to keep my interest any more, I manage to sit through RPG's like Mass Effect 1 & 2 no problem, but more recent RPG's (including FFXIII) I seem to get half way through then want to move onto something else, I find myself playing Skyrim or Football Manager 2012. I half think it's my age, as I have kids and have less time to play them, but the other half of me think that dev's are just dumbing games down too much to try and appeal to console gamers with their "pick up and play" type games... Meh!!

This, I mean story would of probably been good if the world and characters weren't so much crap.

I love how companies try and make up reasons why the fans of a game series don't like it.

But back on subject

I am scared of DA3, Firstly the only thing they will tell us is that they are going to "do things similar to skyrim" which for me was not that great of a game, full of lag, bugs, story was meh at best and the open world gets boring after a wihle.

What made DA: O great for the fans that liked it was the story and characters, and the places you got to visit, and how you could choose what you wanted your hero to be. heck DA: O wasn't any open world, yes it had side quest that you could do, but honestly it all lead to the same outcome which was fine for me.

as long as they don't incorporate skyrim's issue where i can't fast travel because there is a motherfucking dragon in the sky that won't come down so i can kill it, i think i'll be fine :wacky:

but maybe they only mean as far as the times, and the type of environment - it would be a rather moronic move to try to change the current engine too much.

I'm an old guy who started playing rpgs with the old Nintendo

I feel you Wolf, I dunno if it's just my age but I can't seem to find any RPG's to keep my interest any more, I manage to sit through RPG's like Mass Effect 1 & 2 no problem, but more recent RPG's (including FFXIII) I seem to get half way through then want to move onto something else, I find myself playing Skyrim or Football Manager 2012. I half think it's my age, as I have kids and have less time to play them, but the other half of me think that dev's are just dumbing games down too much to try and appeal to console gamers with their "pick up and play" type games... Meh!!

I was around when the Atari 2600 came out and I wanted a compaq computer really badly.Compuserve was around as well and I wanted to play game so badly but couldn't afford to play outside of Nintendo of course and stuff like Yar revenge and ping and pong.

It seems we went through the heyday of rpgs and now they're in a definite decline.I'm not an fps guy, never have been and even those fans are complaining they're not seeing anything new but the same old same old.

There definitely seem to be a dumbing down and a quick turnaround grab the money and forsake quality from all the video game companies.
Rumors that Square told its developers to give up focusing on the stories was perturbing and disappointing and we see the clear results of that with FFXIII and XIII-2. Thoose silly outfits and the whole area bosses from previous FF games is a big turnoff for me as it shows Square is too lazy to spend the time and energy to work on anything new and exciting but goes for the quick buck.

I know I am off topic but it irritates me no end.

That's why I am enjoying Origins so much. I love the dialogue and the romances, albeit they are a tad explicit.Imagine if we saw that in an FF game rotfl.
It would be different at least.
There just seems so little out there for those of us who enjoy a challenging rpg that's well written , well crafted with compelling characters you can root for and who you identify with.

Anyway, off my soapbox for the time being....:hal:

I think my biggest issues with Dragon Age is the combat. It's extremely boring and you don't really have much control over it. You just click and watch. It's one reason I never beat it. People like to say FF XII is like an MMO, but Dragon Age: Origins has pretty much a WoW style battle system. I don't like WoW for that reason, so it's hard to get into a non MMO that works the same way. The characters and story are all right, and the world is too, but I have trouble actually getting into the game so all of those don't really matter to me. I thought I could get past that for the story, but you can't really have fun with a game if everything about it bores you and frustrates you.

Back