Contra Fates' Photography

Wow Kendra you are really good at photography. Haha not that I would know much about it but these are absolutely beautiful shots. I like the ones you recently posted most. The lighting in some of them makes the photos look very powerful. The 3rd one you recently posted is my favorite out of all of them. The lighting really stands out with the lady. Overall a great shot. But I don't know much about photography much D=. But hey keep them coming. These are great. :ryan:

Going to have to say, I like this whole set. While my favorite is 1, every shot in this set comes in close. The lighting really gets me, it's something that I don't see very often anywhere else. It stands out, and I really enjoy it.

The thing that stood out in number one for me was the angle of the model. It just kind of clicked, making me instantly liking it. Keep 'em coming. :ryan:

Thanks a lot! =) 99% of my photography is done in natural light, primarily because I like how it looks, and also because my budget at the moment limits me as far as artificial lighting goes.

The first one was a bit of a risk, as it goes against quite a few conventional rules, but I've been happy with the response to the image.

I'm loving the new pictures... i really like the third one for some reason :D dn why just do.... i'm really get exited about saturdays now soo i can see the new pictures ur taking :D

Thanks so much for the kind words. <3 Now I feel bad for not updating last Saturday! Hopefully the next few photos will be to your liking.

Wow Kendra you are really good at photography. Haha not that I would know much about it but these are absolutely beautiful shots. I like the ones you recently posted most. The lighting in some of them makes the photos look very powerful. The 3rd one you recently posted is my favorite out of all of them. The lighting really stands out with the lady. Overall a great shot. But I don't know much about photography much D=. But hey keep them coming. These are great. :ryan:

Feedback and comments are appreciated no matter what, so thank you for such kind words. =) I've got a few more photos to add, as I haven't had any shoots lately, but hopefully you like them just as much as the previous ones!

Batch #4: Warmth & Autumn
5480099121_5bf696d969_z.jpg

5554140650_787a22968e_z.jpg

5548666017_8c2a93c8bd_z.jpg

Models: Miki Sarroca & Marienna Mercedes

I can't thank you guys enough for the comments you've given me so far - they've really helped to motivate me to keep going. =) I've got a few shoots planned in the not too distant future - one for a shoot based on the opera 'Carmen,' and another a concept shoot titled 'Queen of the Crows.'

I hope you like these! Comments always loved. <3

I really like them all in this set. However, I can't really say anything different. XD

The lighting is good, and the models are gorgeous. The model for 1&3 is especially breathtaking. :ryan:

I do rather enjoy the concept of the sets you're working on. I can't wait to see them. :grin:

make her do mitsuru

and then bang me for my birthday

ultimate birthday present gogo :elmo:

...i like your azn :awesome:

wow I adore the first one :) the model looks amazing and well stunning XD

did you use the same model for the last one as you did for the first one :)

keep up the work :)

I really like them all in this set. However, I can't really say anything different. XD

The lighting is good, and the models are gorgeous. The model for 1&3 is especially breathtaking. :ryan:

I do rather enjoy the concept of the sets you're working on. I can't wait to see them. :grin:

Thank you for the kind words, always appreciated! =)

I've got two more shoots coming up in April. One is going to be a commercial shoot, to look more like catalog work that you might find at the Gap. The second is going to a 'Little Red Riding Hood' inspired shoot with a stunning actress, singer, and model. I'm very excited about that shoot.

make her do mitsuru

and then bang me for my birthday

ultimate birthday present gogo :elmo:

...i like your azn :awesome:

Haha, her wig is actually the same one I used for my Mitsuru cosplay. -Point@Avatar.-

...So I suppose the cosplay portion of that is very possible. xD

wow I adore the first one :) the model looks amazing and well stunning XD

did you use the same model for the last one as you did for the first one :)

keep up the work :)

Both images used the same model. =) She is definitely very photogenic, and she was a lot of fun to shoot with. I plan on shooting with her again in the future.

I haven't done much shooting lately, but here's my most recent piece:

Bree & Marienna: Duet
5557315073_7bf30bf2f4_z.jpg

Models: Bree White & Marienna Mercedes

Comments and feedbacks on this photo and any before it are always appreciated!

I think that is awesome :ohoho:
Very nice angle and capture. Love the colours and the light on her head has been caught really nicely aswell :ryan: The model is gorgeous also. Very nice.
Its somethign i wouldnt mind trying myself one day. Photography :hmmm: I dont have a camera though and im not sure i could justify buying one when i may not like it :sad: Il stick with gfx this now i think.
Love the work. Keep it coming.

I think that is awesome :ohoho:
Very nice angle and capture. Love the colours and the light on her head has been caught really nicely aswell :ryan: The model is gorgeous also. Very nice.
Its somethign i wouldnt mind trying myself one day. Photography :hmmm: I dont have a camera though and im not sure i could justify buying one when i may not like it :sad: Il stick with gfx this now i think.
Love the work. Keep it coming.

Thank you! I'm still learning a lot when it comes to composition, and the best ways to use natural lighting for photos - but from what I've been reading, I've been going about it the right way for the most part.

You should see if there's a place where you can rent camera gear from, to test it out and see if you like it. =) I rent my lenses, because I can't afford the cost of the $2,000+ glass, but it's a great way to use high quality equipment without having to sell your left kidney for it. I wish I had kept up on my graphics, I went cold turkey on them about 9 months ago, and I can't recall most of what I learned.

Now I'm just trying to master my ability to post-process and retouch, which ends up taking waaaay longer to do than tags ever took me. I'm going to stick to shooting models with perfect skin, because touching it all up post-process just takes too long. xD

Jay: Second Look - II
5610965014_70b9bdd2ec_z.jpg

Model: Jay Lazarus

As always, comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated! This photograph took me days to finish, because I just couldn't get happy with it. I had a lot of hard shadows to edit out, which were a royal pain to do. I'm going to start using a multi-flash set up from now on, as well as investing in some reflectors.

Commentators loved and adored! <3

I'm digging that background. Lighting complements her skin well, those green eyes are spot on with the background. Even the shadows are complement to her sweater. Pretty sweet. Could have used a different expression though, I would have went with a smile or grin here. Those tiny green dots on her sweater, was that intentional?

I'm digging that background. Lighting complements her skin well, those green eyes are spot on with the background. Even the shadows are complement to her sweater. Pretty sweet. Could have used a different expression though, I would have went with a smile or grin here. Those tiny green dots on her sweater, was that intentional?

Thank you for the feedback!

I'm actually having a hard time when it comes to expressions, and I think that may have to do with shooting newer, inexperienced models. They seem to have a lot of the 'partly opened mouth, blank stare' looks. I'm going to definitely make an effort to try and get some varying expressions out of them.

I'm doing a shoot with a talented actress, singer, and model in May, and I've got high hopes for that shoot. I think she'll be able to carry across a more emotive feeling to the photographs.

As for the tiny green dots, her shirt had a mesh material to it, so what you're seeing is the small dots over her skin.

Thanks again for the comments!

All other feedback on the most recent, or previous photos is always welcome. =)

These are awesome. The color setting, or filter is perfect. Not to bright, nor too dull. And the angles at which you took these pics are superb.

I always have trouble getting my pictures to adjust to angles, and when I do, they don't even look half as cool as the normal shot would be.

I can't say enough how the color just matches perfectly works with these, they are awesome.

Keep em coming Kendra.

These are awesome. The color setting, or filter is perfect. Not to bright, nor too dull. And the angles at which you took these pics are superb.

I always have trouble getting my pictures to adjust to angles, and when I do, they don't even look half as cool as the normal shot would be.

I can't say enough how the color just matches perfectly works with these, they are awesome.

Keep em coming Kendra.

Thanks so much for the kind words! You'll find that when it comes to photography, that you really have to get the angle right when you take the photo. I've tried changing angles in post-process, and it almost always brings out flaws within the photo that could have been fixed had I shot the image at that angle.

It's funny, because most 'professional' photography doesn't rely on angles at all, merely composition and placing the subject in the frame the right way.

I'm really glad you like all of the colors and lighting. I'm working on collecting enough pieces to have a makeshift studio, and I plan on doing a lot of colorplay once I get that set up.

---

Since this is a Final Fantasy forum, it's time for some Final Fantasy cosplay photography that I've done. This photo is of one of my friend's Gabranth cosplay.

FFXII Cosplay: Gabranth - The Betrayal
4307678005_8cab25d4f0_z.jpg

Model: Casey Harris

Feedback is always appreciated! =)

The color scheme saves it. It's classic /Black/White/Salient color combination and it definitely suits Gabranth's attire since the emblem in the back is the only thing that stands out color-wise. So good call on that, now onto the rest of the shot. The blur effect for the background, which was a smart move, was to hide the location this model was standing in to emphasize the effectiveness of the shot and its purity. This shot doesn't have people looking at it with that "Oh it's a cosplay" mindset. This gives the perception of a real life Gabranth. But, you can see some grass near the model's edges and you could kind of mentally map the location he/she is in.

As for the emblem, I understand that not showing it completely would be an attempt at making it look naturalistic, which is cool. Thing is, you can see the model holding the cape, obviously posing. What I would have done is use a sticky tack to stick the cape to the side of the hand, and used an angle that shows Gabranth's arm and the right amount of emblem, whilst the model holding their arm just far enough so that the cape doesn't look suspiciously attached to the glove in any way.

Normally, I'm not a fan of dutch angles, mostly because they're used for the sake of using them, but in here you're actually putting it to good use. i.e showing more of the model and less of the background. Now I imagine this isn't an easy shot to get right, and from what I see it looks pretty bad ass. The armor looks convincing.

So sorry for the delayed response, not sure how I missed this.

The color scheme saves it. It's classic /Black/White/Salient color combination and it definitely suits Gabranth's attire since the emblem in the back is the only thing that stands out color-wise. So good call on that, now onto the rest of the shot. The blur effect for the background, which was a smart move, was to hide the location this model was standing in to emphasize the effectiveness of the shot and its purity. This shot doesn't have people looking at it with that "Oh it's a cosplay" mindset. This gives the perception of a real life Gabranth. But, you can see some grass near the model's edges and you could kind of mentally map the location he/she is in.

This image was shot at night with a very basic dslr, so it very much reeked of 'amateur.' It was shot behind a hotel using just nearby lighting, as the effect from the on-camera flash wasn't very flattering. A lot of the effects done afterward were in post-process, just blowing up the background and removing the color. [It had a very unsettling orange haze to it, which I sought to remove.] I should have been more careful to remove the grass, though. xD

As for the emblem, I understand that not showing it completely would be an attempt at making it look naturalistic, which is cool. Thing is, you can see the model holding the cape, obviously posing. What I would have done is use a sticky tack to stick the cape to the side of the hand, and used an angle that shows Gabranth's arm and the right amount of emblem, whilst the model holding their arm just far enough so that the cape doesn't look suspiciously attached to the glove in any way.
This was actually taken with the cosplayer just walking away, he wasn't posing, or holding the cape. In hindsight, though, it would have likely been best to have him stand still and pose - but I wanted to mimic the opening scenes of FFXII where the Judges are walking by, and you get that 'bad asses are walking here!' feel. xD

Normally, I'm not a fan of dutch angles, mostly because they're used for the sake of using them, but in here you're actually putting it to good use. i.e showing more of the model and less of the background. Now I imagine this isn't an easy shot to get right, and from what I see it looks pretty bad ass. The armor looks convincing.
Thank you. =) This image is a rather old one, though the post-processing was done recently. In my more recent work I'm trying to avoid any strange angles, and instead working on composing the model and the image more naturally. Unfortunately I shoot with prime lenses [no zoom on them], so I have to move around constantly to frame the image right. It's the price to pay for the quality you get.

Now, to show you what I meant about the colors and the poor use of flash and the lighting, here's another image from the same shoot, without any editing done to it:

2126547472_9a3491f9fb_z.jpg

If only I could go back and redo that photo with the gear and knowledge I have now. xD

Thanks again for the in-depth critique, it was very insightful and helpful, and welcome anytime. =)

--------

Miki IV - Razor W i r e

5657326847_f5b3b71e40_z.jpg

Model: Miki Sarroca

This one was primarily to test out the incredibly thin depth of field available on the 50mm 1.2 L glass - and I chose to focus on her eye to demonstrate it.

Feedback and comments always welcome and appreciated! =)

ooo new pictures....

I finally have access to a DSLR that my friend had recently bought and i am finding the joy of manual focus. The pictures do come out so much better.

Though sad to say, i am a perfectionist of sort so if i dont have the perfect focus, i dont snap and that means i take a while to shoot XD

In any case, i still like these ones

5480099121_5bf696d969_z.jpg

5548666017_8c2a93c8bd_z.jpg

and

5657326847_f5b3b71e40_z.jpg

I think its the colours. I do like the more soothing sepia-ish look. That i i might be partial to the goth loli one because i think the girl looks pretty XP

ooo new pictures....

I finally have access to a DSLR that my friend had recently bought and i am finding the joy of manual focus. The pictures do come out so much better.

Though sad to say, i am a perfectionist of sort so if i dont have the perfect focus, i dont snap and that means i take a while to shoot XD

In any case, i still like these ones

I think its the colours. I do like the more soothing sepia-ish look. That i i might be partial to the goth loli one because i think the girl looks pretty XP

Oooh, you should link me to some of those photos through VM/PM, I'd love to have a look at them. =)

Learning how to focus will definitely take some time, and some tactics. I pretty much stick to the 'breathe in, hold breath, snap!' tactic. xD

I'm glad you like the new images! I admit I keep going back to the Lolita photos as well. Also, the girl in the last image is the same as the one in the Lolita garb, she's rather versatile!

Marienna IV - S i d e l o n g

5697766473_9e01ca640a_z.jpg

Model: Marienna Mercedes

I know I haven't updated much lately, but I'll get some new work up shortly! All comments and feedback are always greatly appreciated. =)

Finally got some new photos - due to a photoshoot I did today with two of my lovely co-workers. For now, here's a teaser shot!

Teaser: Gritty Glitter
5711523761_2466a62578_z.jpg

Not my usual subject matter, but damn it did I love those shoes. xD
Comments always appreciated!

Here's one of my favorite shots from the shoot:

Michelle I - The G R I D
5712084164_6c72219f95_z.jpg

Model: Michelle Godinez

Comments and feedback always loved and appreciated!

Sorry for the delay in posting up more photos. I've got two more from the last shoot to post.

Mica - Lace & Light
5711522681_cf7427a20e_z.jpg

5744495171_ddc40849b8_z.jpg

Model: Mica O'Gilvie

Mica was my first African American model, which proved to be quite challenging. Because of her skin tone, I had to take a much different approach to how I lit her. I'm happy with the results, and it was a great learning experience.

Any comments or feedback on these or any previous photos would be greatly appreciated!

Oh hey Kendra! Long time no see since PEF. :3

Man, I'd almost forgotten how awesome your stuff is. To say that you know your way around a camera would be an understatement. I can't even go on saying which picture I like best. Dang. Gritty Glitter does strike my fancy though.

>.> In fact, I think I'll go ahead and get inspired by these for drawing pretty girls, if you don't mind...

Back