Anyone ever shed a tear over a Video Game?

Oh my Good LORD yes :gonk:

I cry very easily. Always have, and unfortunately always will. I hate it! But I'm stuck with it, unless I get my tear ducts removed. Which won't happen any time soon...

FF10- If you didn't cry at the end with Yuna and Tidus, you have no soul :hmph:

FF7 Crisis Core- I bawled like a freakin baby at that ending. I knew he was gonna die, but OH MY GOD IT WAS SO DAMN SAD!! I sat in my bed crying for a good 5 minutes.

FF7 Dirge of Cerberus- Don't even get me started. I can't count how many times I cried during that game. Vincent is one of my all time favorite characters, and when Lucrecia (BITCH!) well, you know, that got me. I was just like Oh Vinnie ♥ And there were many other parts as well.

FF7- Aerith's
death
Even though I knew it would happen and had seen it before, it still makes me cry :'( The music, Cloud's reaction, oh my Gawd :gonk:

Star Ocean- When that girl, Ameena? Dies with Dion, I didn't exactly cry, but I got a little teary-eyed :sad2:

There are definitely probably more that I am not thinking of.

i cried during super mario bros when yoshi ran away because i thought he was dead.

but i later found out that yoshi was regenerating and/or being reincarnated. at 5 this concept was a bit alien to me and it scared me so i cried again.

one time it felt like i'd cried all the water out of my body. it was a fooking disgrace.

Three games immediately come to mind:

Final Fantasy VII (Everyone knows about this one, but spoiler nonetheless):
Aerith's Death. Granted, I was about nine or ten at the time, so I was just absorbed in the game. Plus, I really liked Aerith. Such a sweet girl.

Final Fantasy IX (Spoiler for those who haven't played):
There were several instances in this game that come to mind. But the ones that jerked the heartstrings the most was at the very end. Not the reunion of Zidane and Garnet. Not the reunion of Freya and Fratley. It was knowing that little Vivi had 'stopped' and was no longer around. Yes, he had several sons that were running around, but still. Vivi, man. :(

Ib (MAJOR spoilers for those who haven't played):
This game. Oh, this game. It's one of those beautiful RPGMaker games that changes its ending depending on your decisions throughout the game. Although it has gone over a few changes and has had a few new endings added to it, my first playthrough had me pissed, then crying over a game for the first time in a long time.

Although many hormone-driven fans would love to think otherwise, Garry was the big brother figure to Ib. As the eldest in the group, he tries to look after Ib and Mary as they search for a way out of the gallery. After Mary is revealed to be one of the paintings in the gallery itself, Garry tries his hardest to get Ib out alive.

Near the very end, you are shoved into Mary's massive toy box. Ib is separated from both Garry and the rose that sustains her very life within the gallery. I made the dire mistake of looking for Garry first.

If you find Garry before you find the rose, Mary appears and is given Ib's rose by one of her many deranged dolls. Garry and Ib try to confront Mary and convince her to return the rose. Mary toys with them, saying that she will trade Ib's red rose for Garry's blue rose - a rose similar to Ib's that is keeping him alive. No matter which choice you are given, Garry is forced to trade his rose. Mary returns Ib's rose and takes off with Garry's rose.

Once you find the key and escape, Ib and Garry are brought to this winding hallway. As they head further in, they can hear Mary whispering.

"Loves me, loves me not... loves me, loves me not..."

Blue petals litter the floor as they venture forth.

"Loves me, loves me not... loves me, loves me not..."

Eventually, Garry stops. He apologizes to Ib for not being able to keep up and tells her to go on ahead. I wanted to stay behind, hoping that there was some way to help Garry. With little other choice, I move ahead quickly.

There, we come upon Mary, plucking the petals off of Garry's rose one by one with a smile on her face.

"Loves me... loves me not..."

She proudly holds up the empty stem with a giggle.

"Loves me!"

With that, she throws the stem to the floor and runs out.

I have Ib rush back to Garry, but he is already slumped against the wall, 'sleeping'. I have Ib eat the candy he gave her earlier and take his lighter before going after that little painting bitch.

I had no idea that there was a room where Ib could get rid of Mary once and for all. I was too caught up in chasing her down and wound up in an alternate Gallery. There was a prompt to return to the real world, but I couldn't bring myself to return.

Ib stayed behind in the warped gallery. I got the Ib Alone ending for it.

I have cried during computer games for a quite a variety of reasons, and actually only one of those occasions has been while playing Final Fantasy - and that one has the weirdest reason behind it of the lot.

I've only ever cried while playing two series - Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear Solid is, in my opinion, the master of getting you attached to characters, completely irrespective of whether they are supposedly good, or evil. It just doesn't matter in the end when the fighting's all over. War is a game in the end, and the concepts of good or evil depend simply on different points of view. And yes, that may well have been me ever so obviously paraphrasing one of the main characters in some vague way. I cried when Sniper Wolf died - for those not in the know, she was one of the terrorists you were fighting against in the game. Honour plays a big part in her passing, and I teared up a bit when the wolves, some of her only friends, began howling. There were many other times in the series when I shed a tear, but the other where I really cried, was when The Boss died. This is emotional because The Boss is your mentor throughout the game and is the only one that your character respects as a superior and, almost, an adoptive mother of sorts. It also didn't help my case that you have to physically pull the trigger yourself in a cutscene.

The only time I have cried in Final Fantasy is due to something very odd and personal. It's the game over screen in Final Fantasy 10. Why? Not because you've just lost, I get over that quite quickly actually. It's because of the notes played on the keyboard - the organ, the piano, keyboard or in this case harpsichord, can potentially scare the living crap out of me because of an awful childhood memory that sends shivers down my spine and makes me cry almost instantly. If I remember, I turn the sound off when I die in this game so I don't have to hear it, and actively overlevel so I have much less chance of hearing it.

Last edited:
I had numerous games that made me shed a tear some of them which were like WTF?

Xenogears (PSX)
Tales Of The Abyss (3ds)
Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
Final Fantasy VI (PSX) Beacuse It had to end...

I cried again, but it wasn't a good cry. In fact, it was a cry of pure sadness and anger. Here's what happened... It was WWE '13, a Survivor Series elimination match, The Shield vs The Undertaker, Booker T, and Jeff Hardy. We had one hell of a match. Rollins was eliminated, Booker was eliminated, and Dean Ambrose was on the verge of joining them. Just when I hit him with a tombstone, my Xbox fucking freezes. After 45 minutes of gameplay on that one match, it was all gone. I had to reset. I was just sitting there... Crying my eyes out in disbelief. I didn't attempt the match again. I simulated it and moved on. Talk about heartbreaking (cue HBK theme). I have a fear of it happening again. :sad2:

I've never cried playing a game, but two titles got me pretty close. One being Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It was interesting how that game didn't really have a "good" ending. On my first playthrough, I got the least depressing one. But the scene that happens before hand is just... man. :sorry:

And the other was the ending of Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, a game I'm still to this date surprised that I liked given my feelings towards the original FFVII (not that I need to go into that as I have far too many times and don't feel like beating that dead horse today) and since I'm sure most people on this forum have played that game which took place after Crisis Core, I don't feel like I'm spoiling what happens, though I'll edit this post and put spoiler tags if needed. But I couldn't help it. Zack was just so goddamn likable, it was ridiculous. He wasn't broody or obnoxious or an idiot like most of the characters in the later series. He actually stood out quite a bit. It's scary. I'm almost convinced the Square-Enix had nothing to do with the writing of his character in that game.

I've cried a number of times to my shame but the games I absolutely bawled over are:

• Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (spoiler alert!)
Zack's death was so gut wrenching and tragic that I was in shock for days afterwards. Every time I thought of Aerith alone in the Church in the Slums I clouded over a rained all over again.

I had spent hours and hours on this games, leveling up Zack and mastering all his materia making him into the ultimate SOLDIER and during that time I had grown very fond of his happy and positive attitude. In the final moments, when those three Shinra guards closed in on him I could barely breathe with the panic I was so upset.

To this day I can't believe I got into such a state over a video game! :shame:

• Suikoden II (spoiler alert!)
After Jowy went dark side I was devastated. Being my all time favourite character I really missed him and the bond of friendship he had with the main character. However, Nanami's bright and cheerful personality made her undeniably lovable. "At least," I thought, "she will always be around to lighten the mood and look out for Raven (my name for the hero- great right!). Such was the consolation after Jowy's betrayal when the dynamic trio went to duo.

Then, during a mission I just knew she shouldn't have gone on, Nanami dies protecting her little brother Raven. She was so selfless in her actions and defiant of the soldiers trying to hurt him that when her inevitable death happened, it was just so heroically tragic. And man, her last words set me off like a fountain:
29-nanami3.gif
"... Uh... I... I'll... I'll be okay... But please... Just... once... Call me... 'Big Sister'..."

*sniff* :sadpanda:

• Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (spoiler alert!)
Link's awakening of the Wind Fish should be a joyous event right? Wrong! The moment is as bittersweet as the Ballad of the Windfish itself. Koholint Island which has been your home for the entire game and the colourful people you have met on the way simply disappear. I really missed my Bow Wow. :sad2:

I was never one for sheading a tear for a game's ending cutscene until I saw the Synthesis ending for Mass Effect 3 for the first time. That ending got to me.
I had invested so much time into my Shepard and to see her go out like that was noble and sad at the same time. The final goodbye as it was.
Now, nothing else has come close to that.

I'm sure I have cried multiple times because I'm a cry baby. :lew:

The main games I remember crying over was

Final Fantasy IX- Whenever I first played the game, I wasn't expecting the ending.. it was obviously tears of joy!

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core- Zack... :sad3: I hated playing the damn game, and it makes me sad to think about til this day-- although I knew ahead of time since I've played the game so late, but still I cried.

Final Fantasy X- OMG TEARS FOR DAYSSSSS. I was in denial when I witnessed the ending... so sad it hurt my heart </3

Legend of Dragoons-- I MISSED ROSE. Whyyyyy?!:alone:

All I can think of for now. :monster:

FFXIII made me cry for all the wrong reasons

Seriously though FFX. At the risk of throwing away any shred of manliness i have left im quite easily moved like that when it comes to films and games. Im someone who gets very involved and sucked in to a good story and attached to its characters. I dont sit there and blubber but i do swell up and stuff >_> FFX's ending definitely does that to me each and everytime i play it. Im replaying it at the moment. Just aswell i got tissues for christmas :toni:

oh oh oh ad the endings to MGS3 and MGS4 are both extremely moving.With The Boss' final words and then having to shoot her :( And snake standing over Big Bosses grave at the end of 4 away to shoot himself. It was very moving yes ?:(

Another one that popped to mind since my last post:

The Last Of Us's Left Behind DLC.

It's not hard to predict what will happen to Ellie and Riley by the end of the DLC story (those of you who have played through the base game will know all about Ellie's rare immunity to the fungus, so you'll have deduced fairly quickly what would have happened to her and to her friend), and it's a simple case of knowing what must happen to the pair of them that really crushes you. It's all a non-linear emotional rollercoaster, with the story of Ellie's final moments of happiness with a close friend interspersed with the frantic, desperate situation of having to tend to Joel as cannibals and Infected wander around.

If anyone here is already familiar with TLOU, have yet to play the DLC, and want another emotional punch to the stomach - as if the first fifteen minutes of TLOU aren't enough to tug on heartstrings - pick up Left Behind. I was possibly close to shedding a tear. Maybe.

Woah! How could I have not mentioned the tear jerker that was Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch. dfgh Such tears 'n' emotion things. One could really feel for the main protagonist.

I would definitely say The Legend of Dragoon, more so for when Lavitz dies. Despite being in your party for so short of a time, the game does a good job of establishing him as a character overall, do yeah I have a tear jerk everytime I still play it.

Yeah another one would be in Star Ocean tteot when Amelia passes away, the music and everything is kinda moving there at that time.

Then we jump to Suikoden V where it looks like Leon dies, that really made me sad. With you so long and did all that together just to end like that? I was glad when she came back to life.

There is a few more out there but I can't recall them atm.

Back