Addictions

coffee is the only bad addiction. If i don't have it, it's very noticeable.

I do love me some chunky peanut butter. When I go without it I crave it. It's what I use to fill calories. Stuff works miracles for losing weight.

I consider music my addiction. That seems like a cheap answer, but when I have to go a day without listening to my favorite bands, I start getting really irritable and pretty grouchy.

As far as physical addictions go, I'd say probably strawberry cheesecake. Those never last more than 2 hours around me. I get stomach pains that could shake Mt. Olympus but it's so delicious I just don't care.

I've watched Season 2 of The OC in about a week. Jesus, I'm so addicted to this and will probably buy the third season box-set secondhand when I next go into town. Yes, it's my first time watching it

I consider music my addiction.

Amen to this. I tell my wife and those around me, if music were to cease I would be that shallow asshole who ends himself. Music is the only thing that makes sense to me in this world at least. It's the only thing that is reliable, and able to make me feel those old emotions or new.

It has the ability to stop me in my tracks and remember someone as clear as day. It has the ability to actually bring a tear out of me, which is so hard to do. It is not only my religion but my wave of communication and my way of bettering and evolving myself. Yet, I don't create it, due to I chose the busy life and very distracting life. So I can only enjoy other people's creations.

As a popular tool song named Lateralus goes:

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between
the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out.
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.

I'm pretty addicted to caffeine unfortunately :sad3: I drink coke and coffee all the time, and when I don't I get massive headaches! It's awful :gonk: And at night-times when I'm not hungry or thirsty I'll be craving a coke.

im addicted to sleeping as of lately. i do not want to do anything but sleep all day. food and tv isn't even good for me anymore. i just want to sleep! i am a sloth for sure! :okay:

I don't think I've any genuine addictions, not even caffeine. I've slowly weaned myself off from having as much coffee as I did a few years back because I was becoming wary of what it was doing to my teeth. My dad's a good enough anecdotal testament to that, given how heavily he would down cups of tea and coffee - though they were rather sugary, mind you. In retrospect, I was never as much of a heavy coffee drinker as I liked to believe, and I came to exaggerate my dependence on caffeine.

I'm a glutton for pudding, though. Cheesecakes, gateaus, trifles, heck, even key lime pie, which I wasn't too particularly fond of to begin with. You trade off most of your coffee one day, only to realise you now have a sweet tooth, and all pretenses of looking after your teeth have gone out of the window...

Not taking the piss but I genuinely thought I was addicted to lime coke. In a way i'm lucky it was only limited edition but I was forced to go cold turkey before I was ready :'(

Caffeine,,,,Coffee in the morning water until late day,,then I climb the mountain of dew at dusk.Amazingly enough Im not an insomniac from it either.Music is another one,I play an instrument (guitar) so It is lifeblood for me.Then there was/is weed,,I dont know its on and off with that stuff,its probably not an addiction its moreso a nice thing to have around for me.:)

I USED to smoke, but I'm pretty relieved to say I've given that up.

Woop me too. Smoked for close to 10 years and ive been off them now for 2 days short of a month.
The cravings have pretty much gone completely. I dont have to think about it anymore. There is the oddtime when i get a craving. Usually its stress related or when i get irritated but shaking it off is easy enough.
Quitting smoking hasnt been easy but i am surprised because it hasnt been that hard either. Because i genuinely really wanted to quit the willpower ive had made it easier. Im sure of that. Saved a fortune in money!

Personally, I don't think the word 'addiction' should be used. I'm a firm believer that anyone with an ounce of willpower who wants to give up on smoking, caffeine, drugs, etc. has the capacity to do so. So many people are all like "Ohh, I can't quite because of my addiction" or "Ohh, my body needs it" and so on. If you want to quit, then quit. :monster:
That is an extremely condescending stance to take. I guess rather than perhaps being positive about not being addicted to substance or behaviour (apparently?), you'd rather be negative and belittle others that have problems you don't have. I guess mental illnesses are not illnesses either, you can cure depression by cheering up and you can cure schizophrenia by deciding you just imagine a lot of stuff...

Long term substance addiction for starters, actually changes how your physiology does things, like adjusting to the substance which causes tolerance and physiological addiction. As a somewhat extreme example, abusing alcohol for years on years will most likely cause your physiology to react in ways that you'll be really well off in an asylum as delirium sets in upon stopping rapidly, you can end up with a hangover that lasts for months and the sheer weening of alcohol from your system can cause withdrawal symptoms that can actually kill you. Yes, some long term alcohol abusers actually DIE from stopping.

But I'm glad there's no such thing as addiction.

As a college student I have become addicted to a number of things! Chex mix, pretzels, late night pizza, and of course the salvation of human existance; sleep!!!!! :P

I'm addicted to music. Most of the time I listen to music to relax myself. Another thing that I'm addicted to is Ice cream. That is my personal favorite desert choice to be honest. It just taste so good that you just can't resist their taste.

That is an extremely condescending stance to take.

Mm, but i've found myself thinking that at times, especially with smoking.

I think 'addiction', whilst im not arguing is a genuine thing, is a major copout for alot of people. Oh, I can't be bothered trying so i'll just say i'm addicted.

Mm, but i've found myself thinking that at times, especially with smoking.

I think 'addiction', whilst im not arguing is a genuine thing, is a major copout for alot of people. Oh, I can't be bothered trying so i'll just say i'm addicted.

That's less about the existence of addiction, and more about the abuse of the phrase by people. It's the same as someone who "needs" a new phone or a new watch.

They're justifying the act to themselves. If they're addicted; there's no point in trying, of course! I'll never get through it!

The way I see it, some people are strong enough to get off of an addiction alone. Some people aren't,and need help. Some are content with their addictions,some are, honestly, too lazy to try, or aren't resilient enough to keep at it after failing or relapsing.

I do think that anyone can get rid of their addictions with willpower, but it also depends on the type of support and atmosphere they are in.

Perhaps the phrase is somewhat misused and you two are right. I still think there's a genuine addiction and addictive personalities. Certainly doesn't have everything to do with plain will power.

The way I see it, some people are strong enough to get off of an addiction alone. Some people aren't,and need help. Some are content with their addictions,some are, honestly, too lazy to try, or aren't resilient enough to keep at it after failing or relapsing.

Yep, 2 of my friends started smoking the exact same time as kids and 1 gave up 2 years or so ago with little to no struggle but the other one was 'TOO ADDICTED'.

I come from a family of addictive personalities, though I'm fortunate that I managed to dodge it. Smoked cigarettes and weed in high school, never got addicted. Have been on various benzodiazepines, never got addicted. I still won't risk it and try harder drugs.
I think the only thing I may be addicted to is tea, though I can easily go a day without it, I just make a point of saying to myself "I didn't have tea today".
I *might* be addicted to Whatsapp though.

I've been addicted to drinking since age 8 which is still a current problem of mine unfortunately, main reason is to escape a bad childhood. Just recently I quit my 9 year long battle with drugs (weed, coke, pills) and have never felt better.

I have used almost every hard drug you can name and nothing cured my emotional distress, those looking for comfort talk your problems out no matter how much hurt they cause .. don't turn to drugs as an easy solution.

I've been addicted to drinking since age 8 which is still a current problem of mine unfortunately, main reason is to escape a bad childhood. Just recently I quit my 9 year long battle with drugs (weed, coke, pills) and have never felt better.

I have used almost every hard drug you can name and nothing cured my emotional distress, those looking for comfort talk your problems out no matter how much hurt they cause .. don't turn to drugs as an easy solution.

Stay strong, bro. You need some good people around you to help you keep going. Addictions are almost impossible to fight by oneself.

I'm addicted to gaming, it always slips into my life somehow. Luckily, it's not a destructive addiction, just a bit costly ^_^;

Back