[V2] Last Movie You've Seen

The Theory of Everything
I find Stephen Hawking to be an incredible and fascinating human being so this film has had me excited for a little while. Initially I wasn't all that excited about Eddie Redmayne playing him because I've never found him a great actor, but he has completely changed my opinion of him with this. His commitment to the role is staggering; that he was able to make his body do the things he did. It didn't feel like I was watching Eddie Redmayne portray Stephen Hawking, more like watching Stephen Hawking succumb slowly to his disease.
I hadn't expected the film to be so much about Jane as it was, but then it was based on her book so I suppose that is to be expected.

Unbroken
On paper this should have been a strong film. A Joel/Ethan Coen written script directed by Angelina Jolie and shot by Roger Deakins. Sadly it was quite dull I thought. Since you don't actually see Louis Zamperini win a race at the Olympics, you never particularly got the feeling that he was a great athlete; more a man who is a good runner. And although obviously the things he went through in the POW camps was not pleasant, we don't see anything particularly bad happen to him by comparison, so you don't get the feeling that he went through a particularly terrible ordeal.
I didn't think Jack O'Connell gave a very strong performance either, so the film was not carried very well by its lead. I'm not sure if it was because it's a British actor playing an American, but I just wasn't overly impressed with him.

Birdman
Could possibly be one of my all time favourite films. It was executed to absolute perfection; every performance is top class and on a technical level it is just as much of a triumph as Gravity last year. It is filmed to look like one long continuous 2 hour take, which gives the film the feeling of a play, and that works impossibly well. The choreography that must have gone into it is unbelievable.
Michael Keaton, Ed Norton and Emma Stone all gave quite possibly career high performances, although I got the feeling that Ed Norton was playing himself more than anything.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1:

This was the last movie I saw in the theaters about a month ago. It was a really good movie. I just didn't like how the ending ended. I didn't expect the movie to end like that. Other than that wad fine. There were some action in it and lots of talking. Can't wait for the next part to come out.

The Woman in Black(2)- The last movie I've went to at the theater was the woman in black 2. I saw it yesterday... but for some odd reason, it just fell short to me. When I was a young girl, mysterious movies/ scary movies scared me. Now that I'm older, I've seem to have grown this high expectation for a "scary" movie. I went to see it because the first one was amazing! I dunno, it was just too predictable for me to be like "yeah this is awesome!" It wasn't horrible, but not worth the money spent at the theater. I want the unexpected to happen! Nope... I would have much rather rent the movie for a dollar at red box. :wacky: I know it's mean, and maybe i'm being too harsh on it but ehhh. Who cares? :monster:

St. Vincent
A beautiful little gem of a film that sadly went quite under appreciated. It may be one of Bill Murray's best performances to date, and that's saying quite a lot really. It has a similar story to Gran Torino, but without the Clint Eastwood touch. A woman and her son move in next door to a grumpy old man who struggles to make ends meet, and he ends up babysitting for the son while the mother works long hours at the hospital. He teaches the boy to be strong and stand up for himself, and ultimately the boy softens him up a little.
It had a genuinely touching and warming end that made me shed a tear, and I'll happily watch it again.

Maleficent

Rating: 9/10

Thoughts: I thought the movie was a bit short lived, sadly. I really liked it though. I honestly didn't put two and two together at first and for some reason I kept thinking Snow White, until the spinning wheel came up... I was like, oh... duh, Sleeping Beauty. :lew:

I think Angelina Jolie did great. Movie script was nice, but I wish they would've fleshed it out a bit more. Personally didn't care for the actress that played Aurora, but it was a great movie. It's been a while since I've sat down and just relaxed with a movie on, so this was an amazing pick. :D Definitely recommend it.

Fast 7

Saw it Friday night and can say it was worth the time, it alone was almost a solid 2hr movie so it justified the ticket price there. As far as the action goes it has what you expect from the fast series now, so it was decently paced and didn't have many moments where you could zone out and wonder "okay are we gonna go somewhere with this soon?" Only one small thing I didn't like was how they introduced the one group out of nowhere, and with how the previous two installments where you would have thought they would have eluded to them in the movies. One thing I did enjoy was the small tribute bit for Paul at the end of the movie, they have Vin doing a nice dialogue for his character and then at the end as the screen goes to credits, For Paul. Thought it was a nice touch considering how much he did in this series.

Movie: Dorian Gray
Comments: Was not what I expected at all. I figured it to be one of those dull period dramas where people sup tea on the veranda, (which is also why I didn't read the book). Well, not so much. I can't say that all the movie was to my taste (TMI and all that jazz) but overall, it was worth watching. The concept behind the story was very intriguing and actually, damn frightful.
I've never seen the normally type-cast Colin Firth be so sleazy! I'm shocked :O
Rating: 8/10

Spy

Not as good as Bridesmaids and the story is a bit all over the place but this was still very enjoyable, and a great showcase for Melissa McCarthy. Favourite bits: Jason Statham (who is hilarious), kitchen fight, Rose Byrne swearing a lot.

Oculus

I was after something simple to watch, and I'd missed this at the cinema. I do like a good trashy horror film, and this was a little above that level. It's about a brother and sister that go back to their childhood home to destroy a haunted mirror that killed their parents when they were young. It was very much a psychological piece, anyone who has seen or read 1408 will know what I mean, and it reminded me strongly of that. My biggest gripe is with the very predictable, unsatisfying ending. Definite sequel bait, and I suppose it could spawn a decent horror franchise but it would get old quite fast.

Jurassic World and Terminator Genysis. The former was decent enough was only slightly disappointed in how some things were handled. Overall the pacing was decent and i'm glad we got to see it more of an actual park instead of just the one tour ride from the first movie, it was nice to see the "vision" of the park more fully made. As for the later i'm just gonna say it's about damn time they fixed the mistakes of the 3rd and especially the 4th film. While twisting a fair amount of different time lines together thus giving a different future, i'm glad that overall it finally ended. My biggest disappointment since they hyped it up so much in the one trailer was the one fight between the two Arnolds was just so short, I was expecting it to be a little bit longer or even more throughout the movie, no where near as short as it was.

ROGER WATERS THE WALL is the greatest concert movie of all time.
It's better than Live At Pompeii, The Song That Remains The Same and that.
You've probably seen stuff at the theatre but as you haven't seen this movie on a screen then you've missed out tonight!
And being North West England there was only one drunk who got excited! (I sat on the other side of the theatre so result!)
Now I only mimed along to "Don't Leave Me Now" (And I was word perfect, naturally!), I didn't air guitar in my seat either, but I suppose I too would have gone for it like that man if I was more out of it.
But the thing was... He was clapping and getting excited over the parts of The Wall where it goes fascist! So... Maybe it was a good job his friend walked him out of the showing!
But yeah, what a fucking movie. I only noticed my bottom jaw had lowered because I noticed it was trembling with emotion.

No Manifesto - A Film About Manic Street Preachers is still the best documentary from this year (Seeing as nobody wants to admit the claims of "Soaked In Bleach") but "Roger Waters The Wall" is the greatest concert movie of all time.
Although I've heard the album and seen the Alan Parker movie (And Berlin), seeing The Wall in full (And not only that be reimagined!).
Nothing has come close to The Wall and nothing probably will ever again.
The real downside of this post is I will never enjoy the film as much on DVD as it won't be on a screen.

Frank
Exactly the right blend of weird, wonderful and charming. I'm not massively versed on the classic Frank Sidebottom, so I don't know how it holds up in that light. As an indie, British comedy it ticks all the boxes and manages to be deep and enjoyable.
Despite the fact that it could be anyone under the head, it might actually be one of Michael Fassbender's best ever performances. Even though you can't see his face, he manages to be electric in every scene and totally steals the show.

I have seen this movie about 5 times already, but...

Fast and the Furious 7.

It was on the hotel tv I was staying at 2 nights ago and I have yet to turn it off whenever that shows on. Never thought I'd be a huge fan of the fast car type movies cuz that's really not my thing, but it is one of my favorite franchise's of movies there is out.

Circle

A group of 50 people are all thrown into a room and have to stand in a circle, with a weird killing machine in the middle. If they move off their spot, then they die. Every two minutes, they all vote for one of them to be killed off. They have to decide on a lone survivor by the end, which as you can imagine most of them want it to be them so it's all about the mind games and stuff. It's a dialogue-heavy film but it's a really fun watch to see how people act. It's on netty flix if anyone is interested :).

The Room. The infamously terrible film with Tommy Wiseau.

I think this movie broke me. I don't think I will be able to write coherent and decently articulated sentences anymore. This post is going to be a string of disjointed thoughts from a very bewildered first-time viewer.

- Primary school children rehearsing a play put in a more convincing performance than Tommy Wiseau. Every line makes him sound utterly stoned and out of it, and his meltdown near the end is amazingly naff. He's slowly destroying things but there is zero believability in the urgency and raw emotion of the body language or in any line delivery. Amazing.

- "I did naat hit her it's naat true it's bullshit I did naat hit her. I did naaat....ohai, Mark!"

- "Yoo just a chicken, cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep"

- "Eet's naat over. Eeverybody betrayed me. I fed aap wi'dis world!"

- YUR TEARIN' ME APART, LEESA!"

- Like...nothing substantial happens in this film. There's dozens of little side stories that go nowhere and are never expounded upon. Random party-goer catches Mark and Lisa recklessly making out and gives them a fierce warning that Johnny would be absolutely heartbroken if he finds out, but I have no idea who this character is. Little drug side story? Pointless and has no conclusion. Lisa's mother and the breast cancer? Pointless and no conclusion.

- Yes, let's have half a dozen redundant and awkwardly shot sex scenes (seriously, is he screwing her stomach? Guys out there, take note: that's not where it goes...) and a good number of just as redundant scenes of characters having a conversation about the exact same things. Lisa and her mother have the same conversation a few times. Mark is probably the most clueless hot-blooded male ever, because even when Lisa calls him over for the umpteenth time for sex, he needs a minute to work out what on earth she is doing.

- Results are positive and the mother has breast cancer. In a reaction so callously nonchalant that I'm not convinced a human being wrote it, Lisa assures her dying mother that it's okay! A lot of people beat cancer! It will be okay! Wow.

- Mark tells the story of a woman who was promiscuous with several guys and as a result she ended up severely hospitalised. Johnny laughs and hails it as quite a funny story. Classy. But then again, someone like Lisa probably does deserve it, because rarely do you see a character so unsympathetic. Johnny gives her everything she wants, from gifts to sex, but she's so bored, so she regularly calls Mark over to get action from him, lies to everyone that Johnny had hit her, AND THEN, AS SHE WEEPS OVER THE BLOODIED CORPSE OF HER FIANCE, she says to Mark that at least she has him and they can be together. Really, woman? Is this the time and place? I'm surprised they didn't have a final sex scene on top of the corpse!

- They had to green screen the rooftop scenes, didn't they? You can tell, because the background looks like cardboard and no one's hair is blowing in the wind. They couldn't find a proper building rooftop, but they had a bunch of other venues to shoot in - namely something like the flower shop scene which was pointless and lasted barely 10 seconds?

- Kid comes into the house just as Johnny and Lisa overtly state that they're going upstairs to have sex. He follows them upstairs and leaps into bed with them just as the pair are fondling and cuddling each other. Don't you have something else to do? Johnny asks this kid he treats as like a son. "I just like to watch you guys" is the reply. Oooooooookay. Creepy.

- How was this film made? Why? What? I can't comprehend it. How did human beings come together with a shared goal of making an entertainment product and this was what was created? Granted, it is entertaining, but entirely by virtue of it being absolutely terrible. How was this script written by a human being? How did no one pause to reflect on Tommy Wiseau's "acting" and think that it is in no way astonishingly dreadful?

- That pug in the flower shop. Look at the poor thing. That's a more convincing acting performance than the rest of the crew. @randomrosso

Last edited:
The Good Dinosaur

I Actually didn't know much about this minus the fact that it was a "what if" scenerio, I went into it thinking it was going be something like the first How to Train Your Dragons, where humans are fighting dinosaurs and then one would be a pet.... nope, nothing like that, and I am actually happy about that, I think this is one of Pixars best film since UP. I hope Pixar goes back to this rout, but sounds like more sequels planned vs more original things like this...but ahhh well, it was a very good film! I would recommend it for anyone that likes Pixar flims!

Zootopia it looked funny from the previews and I got to say there were points where it did not disappoint. Of course there are some parts where you just want to look away and ask why, but then it quickly follows with something to help laugh your ass off. It has a decent pace and what they do with the cast and some of the animal stereotypes can be funny as hell, especially with the sloths.

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

It is a really good movie. It had alot of action in it and a few surprises as well. I highly recommend it to see it.

I just watch this movie in the theater a few hours ago. I have to say it was a very good movie. It had action as well as a surprising ending. It will shock you when you see it. That's all I can say. If you haven't seen it yet I recommend you to do so.

Sharknado

Ah, the world of B movies. If it's not a near-invincible giant swarm of killer bees invading Texas or "mockbusters" from The Asylum like Transmorphers, this previously considered dead sub-category of films has still had some life left in it, as evidenced by how much of a hit Sharknado was when it was released. It spawned two sequels in fact! A third sequel is also due in a couple of months!

So what happens in Sharknado? Well, as the portmanteau name suggests, it's to do with tornadoes...full of live sharks. Ravenous sharks are literally lifted out of the ocean by tornadoes and thrown into LA and the surrounding coastal regions. There is nothing like laughing along to the cheap special effects, the ridiculous premise and the fact that Fin (our protagonist) hurls himself at a shark with a chainsaw and cuts through it from mouth to tail fin. Also, apparently blowing up tornadoes with TNTs gets rid of them. Science, eh?

"My mother told me that Hollywood would kill me" says a bus driver before the "H" sign unceremoniously lands on him, instantly turning him into chunky salsa. Ah, this atrociously bad writing. It's so fun and twee.

Back