Twilight: Lover or Hater?

Love or Lust/Loathe?!

• Total voters
Horrible books.

I've read them all. And it just gets worse and worse and worse.

And worse and worse and worse.

I mean, the story is completely unrealistic, but it's not even written well enough for me to excuse that. Not to mention, the greatest defense I've had her fans use is that Edward and Jacob are hoooooooooooooooooot.

Really? Literary characters are hot? :rofl:

I think I've already posted in something similar a long time ago.

I was probably one of the last few who read the book before it skyrocketed to fame. I didn't even see it on the bestseller displays when I bought it, I saw it along YA Sci-Fi. :rage: Honestly, I liked it because I read it prior to hearing judgements. To me at the time, it was an entertaining love story. I took it as is, not a book to be critiqued page by page. It was unusual, and it was kind of sweet.

At first, it saddened me a little when people started taking the books seriously, because I doubt it was written for that. Because of this, I started to see the contradictions in the books: the lack of creativity, the absurdness, the shallowness and I agree. Of course now, I don't like it anymore. Because of its fame, it was put up against literary classics and of course, it ended up looking like a joke and a waste of paper - which it is. It lost all its entertainment value for me, my perspective totally changed. Then the movies were made, and it all just went downhill for me from there.

I can't say I hate it. I can't say I love it - I used to, though.

Love hate thread turned Twilight bashing thread :gasp:

Anyway I'm not a lover, but I'm far from a hater, I like the books, but I don't love them, haha I'm going around in circles here.

I prefer The Host, it's a much better book, one of my favourites :awesome:

Hater. With the FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

I tried reading the books. Halfway through the first one I needed to throw it into a fire and go bleach my eyes. I've never read something that badly written that wasn't retarded fanfiction. It's nothing but glorified purple prose, Mary-Sues, situations and thoughts no sane, logical and intelligent woman would ever consider getting into. Honestly, Bella's a moron. And Edward is a fucking creep. Jacob's just gross.

I've always loathed this pussification of the vampire as a mythos and I blame Anne Rice for starting all this shit. The vampire is meant to be seductive like Dracula was in Stoker's masterpiece, but this has now gone into the region of the RETARDED.

Even more so than the work itself I hate the fans. They're all BATSHIT CRAZY. I've come to serious, honest-to-goodness blows with at least one of them because they just cannot fathom the idea that someone doesn't like their stupid obsession. I nearly got lynched at college when I wrote a satirical editorial on the hype and the books for the college magazine. It turns out the Editor-in-Chief was a Twitard and my article was rejected (that's despite everyone else on the team loving it) and I was 'subtly' targeted for it.

Yeah, fun times. I hate this series and what it's done to vampires and worse so for lowering the standards for juvenile literature from 'tolerable' to 'lagoon of steaming dog feces'.

I'd love to say that I don't care about Twilight, but when people just keep on bringing it up over and over, they make me hate it... particularly I hate more people than Twilight.

And I hate the haters more than I hate Twilight. I know that fangirls can be damn annoying, but haters are even worse. Priding themselves just because they hate the most popula books/movies of the last couple of years... Just... :ffs:

castlevania_dracula.jpg

What is an Edward? A miserable pile of sparkles! But enough Twilight. HAVE AT YOU!
*smashes Edward over the head with a wine glass before annihilating him with Demonic Meggido*

**************​

Sorry but there are tons of things I really HATE about Twilight. The only thing I liked was how the werewolves shifted into real four-legged wolves. And I normally love anything with wolves. But not Twilight.

For one, vampires do not SPARKLE in sunlight. Depending on which mythology you follow, they either burn and die, or they are greatly weakened. The book series has no real deep plot to it either. It reads like an old soap opera, and I will agree that the majority of the fans only love it because of the guys in the movies. I tried to read through the first book, but I lost interest about halfway through. There's no real creativity.

MOTIFAKE3.jpg

Neither... I read Twilight about a year before it became famous, after failing to get into the third Pirates movie in the cinema.

Honestly, I liked it because I read it prior to hearing judgements. To me at the time, it was an entertaining love story. I took it as is, not a book to be critiqued page by page. It was unusual, and it was kind of sweet.
These were my thoughts exactly! :wacky:

At first, it saddened me a little when people started taking the books seriously, because I doubt it was written for that. Because of this, I started to see the contradictions in the books: the lack of creativity, the absurdness, the shallowness and I agree.
The same applies here. :( For that reason, I'm not fond of the fanbase. They've tried to make Twilight into something it's not, which has resulted in people picking the story and its characters to pieces.

Please don't flame me for this :wacky: but I don't think Stephenie's work deserves to be hated. This point isn't REALLY worth discussing in depth, so I'll just address Edward...

So, he's a sparkly vampire. He doesn't drink human blood. His eyes are amber when he's full. He likes to watch Bella sleep (I actually thought that kinda sweet when I read it. He never intends to harm her. He's just a mythical creature, fascinated by humanity and the state of being he has lost).

I think Stephenie just took something and used to to create something new. I don't really feel insulted by that... Edward is not meant to be Dracula. He's not meant to be a traditional vampire. He's something different, based on a vampire. Isn't that what creative writing is about? :wtf:

I'd be upset if Edward had somehow ruined the concept of vampires! THAT would be annoying. :gasp: But he can't. The fact people drawn comparisons between Edward and 'real vampires' shows that Dracula (and those like him) will always represent the true vampire.

I used to hate Twilight without even giving it a fair chance. A friend of mine was obsessed with it, and I just thought it was some other vampire and human girl fall in love kinda thing. I didn't think it was original, and didn't care to watch the movies or read the books. I was actually pretty in to saying I hated it whenever it was mentioned. I'd roll my eyes just because everyone was talking about it.

I gave the movies a fair chance, and yeah, though cheesy at points, I actually really enjoyed them. I can tolerate them now, and I actually like Twilight. It's definitely not something I'd watch on a daily basis, but I'll watch the new movie when it comes out (after a while at least) as well. It's got me interested enough to know the whole plot. Though I'm definitely not a rabid fan, and I don't think Robert Pattinson is hot.

It does now bother me that people bash it 'cause of how the vampires are portrayed, while I think it's pretty weird too, it's the author's decision, and I would like to call that creativity. It just shows people stuff everything in a box of how it's supposed to be.

If you write fictional books, you should be able to add in your own imagination, if every book was the same because THIS is how THIS AND THIS race is supposed to be, I'd be bored out of my brain.

No reason to hate. :ohshit:

The concept of twilight ruining vampires good image don't fly with me.

Art mirrors fact, real life is stranger than fiction. If our vampires are glittery metrosexuals -- its probably because were a culture that reveres glittery metrosexualism moreso than anything else.

Ah yeds, you must either love it or hate. That is a very silly way to phrase it, you are clearly aiming for a divisive thread, how great. I do not like the books, I read some of them and as I read them they were not awful. I stopped on the third one if I remember correctly. Then a day or so later, I thought about them, and realised they were not very good. The writing was simple, which made them very easy to read quickly.

I could go into all the criticisms other people had about the writing and such, but there's not much point. In the end it all amounts to the same thing, I do not like them. I by no means hate it though, I just have no interest in it. I don't see why people go mad at people who like the series, I guess they are just looking for an activity to fill their vapid vacuous lives

It is like most things these days, liking it is lame, and hating it is cool. Saying how you don't care about it either way is also super cool

Meyer can do whatever the hell she wants, even if it means subverting the classic traits of vampires. That's hardly going to bother me, and I don't see why it should.

No, instead, it's Bella that bugs me incessantly. She's definitely one of the most pathetic, unlikeable and poorly written female characters I've ever come across. At first, she's portrayed as being a studious and normal teenage girl who enjoys classical literature or something, which as intended by Meyer, is nothing remarkable or faulty. Then however, upon meeting Edward and the two falling in love ridiculously quickly, she appears to abandon her own life goals. Is her education even brought up again later, let alone her career ambitions? She reduces her life and purpose to absolute devotion to Edward, and nothing more, while Edward is shown at times to be abusive and controlling. Worse still, Bella is remarkably unable to stand on her own two feet without Edward in particular around, from what I have seen of New Moon. Way to go, Meyer, I'm sure you've left no possible unfortunate message to the younger girls out there, telling them that they're worthless without a man.

I have read Breaking Dawn, and other than the fact that the book bored me to tears most of the time, quite a few moments deserve a mentioning for being absolutely...weird. Jacob and the newborn Renesmee. Need I say more?

Hate...
They are just way too much for me..(only seen 1), but wayy too corny, the "emotions" are way to much, and why cant they close their mouths ? Ppl with open mouths like that looks like ppl with very low IQ.

Hate.

I agree a lot with what Fleur said, Bella is a horrible protagonist.

I can't stand her. How a girl who is plain looking, terrible at sports, completely average, and has close to no personality has 3 (or 4...can't remember) guys all crawling after her? How does that even make sense?

And basically what Fleur said. Completely sexist.

Also, the storyline was just boring. Nothing special. It took about half of Twilight to actually create a plot. And not a good plot at that.

You'll find barely any fans of the franchise that are over age 25, or male.

Just, not a good series.

I don't love or hate it.

Edward pretty much put me off of the series all together though.

I don't mind watching the movies every now and then, but when he comes on the screen I shudder. He's just so bleh. I don't understand why girls go nuts over him.

I tried to read the books and they were pretty meh. I fell asleep halfway through the second chapter.

I can't really say 'love' nor 'hate', it's merely just 'like.' I have respect for the books, even though they've caused so much hate between the 'Twi-tards' and the 'Twi-haters', as well as it's caused dumb teenagers to believe that Stephanie Meyer created vampires and that everything else copied off of her. o_O (This literally has been said by these little annoying girls). Now, my respect for the books is as follows: It's cutsy, mooshy, gooshy love crap that I actually am a sucker for. That's about it. I like that element to it, and hell, I've seen all the movies. But the thing I hate about the movies is that they have two of the worst actors in the entire planet (Kristin Stewart and Rob Pat, okay, and maybe Taylor Lautner sucks, too, but he's hot :P) and on the big screen it's just plain...awkward. Yeah, it worked on paper, but when you see it on the big screen, it's just plain disturbing and on the disgusting side. Seeing a vampire and a human just doin' it and somehow making a baby (even though sperm only live in LIVING things)...I don't know. I guess it just becomes more ridiculous in real life.

So, simply...I'm 'meh' about it, or just kinda 'like' it. Is it anything note worthy? Hell no. It's not. It's not even great, but it does give you that weird romantic feeling if you read it (at least for me, anyway. I'm a sucker for imagery).

I'm with Sullivan on this one, the actually really liked the first movie. The rest of the movies were just okay. I've never read the books though. And yes, I am a guy.

Back