Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
I can't remember if we have a thread like this before. Probably did, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I think it's always interesting reading about others' stories when it comes to their first introduction to Final Fantasy. Do share your experience with us.

It was the year 1999, and school was out. I stayed at my grandparent's place for a few weeks along with my cousins. We used my uncle's Playstation to entertain us and the boys usually played Twisted Metal 3, to my dismay. So I was bored senseless. One day my uncle brought in a new game, but I think it wasn't meant to be played by us. It was brand-new, and I thought I'd try out. Popped in the disc, and forever fell in love with the main music of Final Fantasy 7. I've never really played a game like it. It wasn't my first RPG game, and yet it was...only because I barely remember the first RPG game I played on the old Nintendo, and I think I was only 9 at the time. I don't even know what it was. So it was a new experience, and I was actually making fun of this tiny bit of character that kept getting smaller and smaller as I made my way through the reactor. Actually I was kinda frustrated and remember asking my uncle what was wrong with the game. I didn't take the game seriously, and then the boys came in and watched me play for a bit. They made fun of it as well and kept nagging me to turn it off so they can get back to Twisted Metal (just when I finally started enjoying FF7 a little). And thus my hatred for Twisted Metal 3 was born.

I got back to the game (restarted all over again) a week later at my uncle & aunt's apartment. My brother and two cousins were there, and during those few weeks I played FF7 whenever Twisted Metal wasn't on. So, I usually had to wait until late at night to play, which was okay because everyone was sleeping; no disturbance. When it was time to go home, I asked my uncle if I can borrow the game, and he said yes. I had the game with me for 3-4 months, maybe even longer. But I know I spent about two months just training and playing the mini-games. That was the first game in which I invested a lot of time, probably over 150+ hours. I explored every crook and cranny of FF7's world - and I wanted more after I finished the game later that year. FF8 came next the following year, and so on and so on.

For me it was January 1998, We had only got a Playstation one for like a month or two. Playing Croc and Tomb Raider 1 as you do. We went to town and my brother went into a entertainment store. He came out with Final Fantasy VII. I looked at him and went "Why did you get the seventh one in the series?" and he was like "Well the cover looked good". I played it and instantly loved the game, however as a kid I got stuck on the first boss (Stupid scorpion and it's 'Tail Laser' move) It took me a couple days as I could barely play it with school work and homework. I basically finished the boss finally and ran down the stairs screaming "I DID IT! I DID IT!" and so the long year it took me to finish the game and when I did it was great haha. Then Final Fantasy VIII came about and to my own stupidity bought it thinking it as a sequel or something and my first question was...."WHO'S THIS, WHERE'S CLOUD?!?!?"

And that's my story *sniffles*

Mine's not quite as exciting as everyone else's, haha.

I had the PS1 for a little while and found the game in the local video rental store we used to go to. I found FFVII and just couldn't resist playing it, so I played through the entire thing with my dad when I would come home from school.

My story isn't that exciting, but anyway...
My dad had purchased my brother a PSX back in 1997ish when he moved into a new house. And with it, he purchased a few games as well. And that was when we were introduced to Final Fantasy VII. We absolutely loved it and couldn't stop playing it. What sucked though was that we only saw my dad every other weekend and he wouldn't let us take the game back to our mom's house. TORTURE. We were so addicted and could play it so little.

Ever since then I've been hooked. And it's funny because the game that introduced to me the series in the first place is my least favorite out of all of them.

I introduced myself to Final Fantasy without knowing what it was. :P Sometime in 1998 I saw FF8 on a shelf at a Toys R Us store and thought the cover looked really cool. I begged my mom to buy it for me but she just read the ESRB rating and was all "Oooooh mild language? Suggestive themes? Nope!" But I never really gave up on asking her for it because I thought the cover was way too cool looking with the graphics and the Rinoa, Squall, Seifer combo standing together all dramatic. I finally got the game for Christmas of 99 along with Final Fantasy Tactics.

I loved FF8 and it's mature characters and content and stuff. I thought Squall was pretty cool and I loved Zell and Selphie's fun personalities. I played the hell out of that game and the cutscenes were so amazing. It wasn't really until I put down FF8 for some time to play FFTactics that I was fully invested in the series. FF8 was a great game and I was so happy when i finished it. After I finished tactics, which was years later after I got it, I considered the FF series to be one of the best out there. So far tactics is still my favorite out of them all.

I got introduced it 2003, my brother had his ps2 for about a year, and he found FFX on the cheap, I use to sit in his room for hours at a time watching him play it, my first ff game I played was christmas of 2007, I had my psp for a few years and was looking for a new game, I found Crisis Core in Argos for 15 quid, soo my bro got it for me (as it was a 16) and enjoyed every mintue of it...... :D

Older cousin was always playing FF7, Couldn't keep my eyes off of it. Asked him if I could play one day and that was the moment of my life when it comes to FF. lol

My friend introduced me to it when she mentioned this 'really amazing game that just came out' and she said she loved it to death. This was in 2002.

As you can probably guess, the game was FFX. She allowed me to borrow it, I popped it into my PS2, and I fell in love. From there on out I tried all the other FF's and fell in love with the entire series. And that's pretty much my story. lol.

Well, there is more to it.....I kinda broke her copy of FFX. My PS2 was crap and somehow it ruined all the games I tried to play on it (at that point FFX was the second game I tried on the system, so I didn't really know at the time). At first I thought it was the cd so my dad said I should try and clean it. So....me being a dumbass I decided to spray Windex on it. Needless to say it stopped working after a certain point in the game and it eventually stopped running completely. I gave it back to my friend and she never spoke to me again. lmao. I feel bad now but at the time I was oblivious to what I had done to it. Later on I bought a new PS2 and got a new copy of FFX (along with X-2 and XII) and finished all 3, then moved on to VII and VIII, then VI, I and II, XIII, IV, V and III, IX (in order of what I played and when, some I grouped together cause I was playing them at the same time, or I don't remember which one came first)

Mine is a dull short story.

I was about 8 and went to the local video store (remember when those still existed?). My parents had bought me an SNES a few months prior, but I was bored to death with Super Mario World, Final Fight etc. I was looking around and seen a Moogle on the cover of the box art (I refered to it as a "silly bear" at the time). So, I decided to give it a try. Needless to say I've been hooked on the series ever since.

For the record the game was FF3 (6)

It was back in 2001.

A year after my second older brother and I just moved to Hawaii, from the Philippines. Back then, I was 11 years old, It was nearing my first official birthday in the US. My mom gave me 30$ to spend on whatever I wanted. My eldest brother already had a PS1 by then. So my dad took me to the local Game Store, which was called Software.

I browsed for a good 10-15 minutes, and then there was this weird game staring at me in the face. It was Final Fantasy VII. From that moment, my life changed as I would be introduced to my first FF game, and that love for RPG games today had been sparked and lit.

Well, that's pretty much it really. I got it as a birthday present, and FFVII was my first FF. I spent a good 3-4 months playing it. Back then, I didn't know diddly squat about the game, and I was already about 80 hours into the game (I only used to play like 1-2 hours each day. That was the most hours I've put into any game yet. Not too long after finishing FFVII, my eldest brother bought a PS2. That's when I bought FFX next.

Lol, well that's my story. :P

From then to now, I've played FFVII and FFX 3 times each. Both restarted and finished 100%.

An ex of mine was a huge fan of FFVIII in 1999 and I watched him play it, so I decided to get into the series. I thus started collecting them, with my first being IX.

Last edited:
Someones boyfriend was playing FFVII at my cousins, it piqued my interest and was given the control pad when he went to do something, it must have been new as he had just fired up a new game so luckily I didnt have no early spoilers, that was it really, got an N64 for Xmas, which was traded in for a PS1 the following year and my mum bought me the game that next Christmas too, only took me a whole year and a bit to get hold of it haha, Ive had all the rest on release and been addicted ever since <_<

I was introduced to Final Fantasy in 2004/2005 by a friend of a friend. :ryan:

I was looking for something to replace Zelda: Wind Waker, which I had played to death. :lew: My friend Nikole wasn't too knowledgeable when it came to games, so she introduced me to her friend Emily who mentioned Final Fantasy. She told me I -had- to get X and X-2, but unfortunately I didn't have a PS2 at the time. Instead, I picked up VIII second hand from gamestation for £10!! It was a difficult choice between VII and VII, which were both there at the time, but I picked VIII for its cover, which suggested a romantic theme. :ryan: At the same time, I bought Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube.

I was unimpressed with both... I HATED the turn based system in VIII and found the battles rather hard. wtf was I supposed to do?!??! The world in Crystal Chronicles was nice enough, but the gameplay and story were lacking when paired against the freedom and adventure I had found in Zelda. Still, I was determined to find a new, fantastic game series! And Emily HAD said FFX was the best...

And so I saved up some money, collected together as many old, unwanted games as I could and made a trip to gamestation after school! The PS2, memory card, X and X-2 cost me £70 after trading in everything, which was ALL the money I had on me and ALL the money I had saved up over the months. Still, I was quite happy, and took my first independently bought console back to a temporary second home to play FFX as I waited for Dad to finish work! The opening to FFX left me impressed - I LOVED the story and characters - the leaflet's design, with Yuna and Tidus at the spring, piqued my curiosity; I wanted to see the Spring scene!! :gasp: X-2 was less impressive...and a bit weird, actually, but I played that alongside X for a while. :lew:

Eventually, I started to research FFX and FF in general online at the library after school! I remember printing tonnes of pictures from ffshrine.org, which still exists, and also stumbling across some of the music. I had fallen in love with To Zanarkand, which I downloaded sheet music for and proceeded to learn, quickly, on the piano. I didn't have my own computer at the time, so my online experiences were limited.

I can't remember whether I ended up with a PC first or not, but in the following few months, I raced to buy FF games when they were cheapish from amazon.co.uk (I don't remember using amazon before this!) FFIX and then VII were my priority; I wasn't sure about anything before VII. In October 2005, the point at which we became connected to the internet, I joined a variety of FF forums, my first 'home' being FFHybrid, where I learnt about and created FF AMVs then GFX!

Final Fantasy led to a lot of wonderful things in my life. ;)

Edit:
It seems I bought Kingdom Hearts after FFX, on the 25th Jun 2005, followed by FFIX on the 12th July 2005 for £19 - with the guide! Then FFVII on the 17th July for £14, along with the guide and FF Tactics Advance (an early birthday present maybe?).

What is youfr history with FF

Wazzup, this is a forum so that you can tell your history with FF. How you doscovered it, what games you played and what your playing now. Got bored so i just thought id make this. I got introduced when i got a kingdom hearts game guide. I didn't know what the other stuff besides disney. So like usual, i looked it up online. Then i played the original. Wasn't to into it at the time, now i have 10 and am ready to play the series, what is your history.

I was introduced to FF through a friend who allowed me to borrow FFX. At the time it just came out so this was 10 years ago. I played it and absolutely fell in love with it. I then played X-2 and absolutely despised it. lol. At first I just couldn't finish it until a few years later. I played FFXII next a disliked it. So up to this point I really didn't have a great experience with FF.

I then decided to try FFVII. And I really liked it. Not as much as X (probably because X was my first game so it would always be my favorite). But VII redeemed my hope in the FF franchise and I wanted to play more of it. I then went to FFVIII and disliked it. I didn't like the story, I didn't like the junctioning system or drawing magic, I didn't care too much for the characters, etc. Next was FFVI and I absolutely loved it. At that point I was seriously considering it to be my favorite (or tied with X). I loved the characters and story, the steam punk feel of the game, the soundtrack, summons....just everything about it got me hooked.

Next was XIII since it took me some time to play all these games. In the beginning I liked XIII. The battle system took some getting used to, and I liked the general idea of the storyline. As I played through it though it became rather mediocre and boring. So I put it on my dislike list. I don't hate the game, and may go back to play it one more time to give it another shot....but I'm not exactly excited to play through it again. I'm not getting any urges to play it like I've had for games like X, VI, VII, etc. After that I played FFI and II which were okay. I liked them well enough. Then came FFIV which I really liked.

I started playing FFIII and V but they're currently on hold. Now I'm currently playing IX which I can tell will be in my top five favorite FF games. Maybe in the top 3. The game is so much fun. The throwback to the old school style of FF is just...amazing. It has me grinning ear to ear whenever something is referenced or I know something was inspired by previous games. And the story is really getting good. :D Vivi is freaking adorable. I love him.

After IX I will try to finish V, and then III. Then I will probably go onto FFXIII-2. Maybe, just maybe, by the time I'm done with these games Versus XIII will finally come out. Then I'll play that one too.

I've probably said all this before, but anyway :monster:

I remember watching my friend's brother play FFVIII when I was around 8 or 9, I gave the demo a shot but found it too hard at the time. My first real exposure to it was actually through Kingdom Hearts (recommended to me by a friend) which I played when I was around 13 but didn't finish until later.

When I was about 15 I asked mum to bring me a game back from the video store; it was FFX. I really enjoyed it and rented it a few times but I couldn't get past Seymour Flux. The first FF game I finished was FFVI which I got from a secondhand shop for $2, I was about 16.

I then beat a pirated PC copy of FFVIII which someone from school had given me. I remember during this time, someone I liked called me up and asked me out to a movie with her. I almost rejected her because I was so enthralled with the game. :jimberry:

I beat FFIX in my final year of high school, After I graduated I started knocking off the others one at a time. I joined this site around this time.

These days I'm not quite as enthusiastic or excited about the series as I used to be.

best of luck on beating them, I heard XIII-2 was better than the first

well its a good thing you didnt turn her down hope you had a good time

Mod Edit:
*Posts merged*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also heard that FFXIII-2 is better than XIII, and some people say they ruined the story of XIII by having a sequel. So who knows.

mine is kinda crazy... i didn't get started with final fantasy till 1997. i found my nintendo but couldn't find any games. i noticed my friends in the past always playing final fantasy for snes, i used to sit there for hours watching them play it. but i did not have an snes, i had sega....(lame) so.. my friend loans me FF for my nes and said try it.. its fun and addicting. well he was right. i played that game nonstop and over again till i got a ps1. then my first purchase was final fantasy tactics. followed it up with VII and then VIII. i played those games until 2002 until i got final fantasy X off my brother whom grew very frustrated with the game. that storyline hooked me even more. i waited like no other till X2 was released, i actually skipped art school to get the game and spend months paying it to get 100% completion because i had to see how the story truly ended :)

in between all that i graduated art school and got a job at a sign shop. my one boss also played final fantasy, when XII came out me, him and the owners son all bought the game and we all played it. every day just about, we talked about how much prgression we got done and when some one was stuck, we all gave tips. then i got XIII and well i was the only one who got that game out of that crew. i played it and still playing it actually, not a huge fan of the way the party gets broken up, but i am gonna beat it and get XIII-2. :)

My history is quite simple, and somewhat similar to PhoenyxAngel's. I started with FFX because my older brother was looking for a game that's not mindless hack and slash. He made a good choice. I love FFX to death.

Then I played FFX-2, and I was happy and pissed off at the same time. I liked the happy ending, but I hated the way it built up to it by bringing in a totally different story that had nothing to do with Yuna's journey (though it had an iota of relevance).

I played 12, and I hated it. I just liked Balthier and Fran. Then FF7:DoC. The ending pissed me off. I played FF7, and I liked kinda. However, it could never match up to FFX.

FF7:CC was after, and it did not make that much of an impact. Lastly I played FF8. I thought the beginning was boring, but it gets so much better. The ending was a totally weird, which is why I like it.

At the moment, I am playing Final Fantasy 6, but a bunch of things are getting in the way. Haha.

Back