FFX: What would you change?

-I loved FFX, but something about the battle system just didn't seem to work as well in this game as it did in older titles that used the same basic system. It was way too slow, and with the harder enemies it was too easy to get in a situation where you literally could not defeat them, meaning hours wasted on hopeless fights until I'd get the formula just right to win. A realtime system would have suited the game much better, I think. As it was, I felt like I was playing Simon, just having to remember the right order to press the buttons in to counter what the enemy did.

-I wouldn't change much about the voice acting, except to let the actors speak naturally. The pacing of the speech in the English version was something you kind of tuned into after a while and then it stopped feeling weird, but the game would definitely benefit from eliminating that issue.

-English Suteki Da Ne for the Tidus/Yuna scene and credits, please. The Claire Yaxley version is plenty good enough if SE just doesn't feel like producing it.

-Get rid of Kimari shouting "Yuna!" during the final cutscene. I was literally about to cry at that point and then Kimari's line was so cheesy it about made me laugh. Totally killed the mood.

But the sphere grid is the same essentually as the level system, it's just that instead of the level giving you set attributes it lets you choose what to give which characters. I never found that the characters became similar, Lulu for example, once her grid was used up I put her onto Yuna's so that she'd continue to gain in magic, I just didn't have her learn the abilities so she was still a black mage and not something in between black and white.

You have the choice with the sphere grid, if the characters are becoming similar it's because you're giving them the same stuff. I'm playing through the game for about the fifth time and this time I mixed everything up and had Tidus a mage, Lulu a thief, Yuna a warrior, Auron a white mage and so on, and it's worked! This is about the only game where that's possible, that you can change their role completely from what it was intended to be.
Xx..xX

Exactly! The sphere grid was a great leveling tool, in my opinion a lot better than they grid they had in FF13(the crystarium I think you called it)!
As Sheechiibii has mentioned..When a character moved onto another characters path I just got them to pick up the attributes nodes and leaving behind the ability nodes(unless they were helpful..like steal :D everyone need steal! lol)

Although, I must admit I hated the 'expert sphere grid' even though as you've mentioned it did allow for characters to change roles! I just don't like to think of tidus as a black mage and such! So for me, if I used the Expert grid I'd have some characters would appear right in the middle of attribute nodes that were pointless for their class for example lulu in the middle of strength nodes and the likes whilst being a million miles away from her magic nodes(being too early in the game for teleport spheres made things a b*tch!!)

Mehh scrap the Expert grid :p lol

...but sure give me an alternative ending and I'll be uncontrollably excited! (although i did enjoy the first ending..it would just be a nice change) Even more so than I am already!

I would change that chocobo riding challenge in the Calm Lands that you need to win to get Tidus' ultimate weapon. It was ever so irritating to me. Everyone else got their ultimate weapon BUT Tidus. I haven't tried the challenge itself in over 8 years. I avoid completely when I pick up the game and replay it now. I suspect that I have better hand eye coordination now and could beat if I wanted to, but I just remember the irritation it gave me way back when and I would hate myself if I still couldn't beat it.

I'd change some of the staff members; whoever thought those side-quests to get the Celestial weapons was a great idea should be fired. Whoever thought any of the side-quests was a great idea should be fired. Hedy Burress should be fired. Whoever designed Spira's general way of dressing should be fired. The guys who used up the FMV space on the disc for scenes like water splashing around during Sin's appearance at sea on their way to Kilika, instead of using it to make Auron's last scene an FMV, should definitely be fired.

I would have done a LOT. From the top of my head:

1) Shoot - or more nicely, just tell them to do something else - whoever designed these characters. Especially Seymour with his laughably ridiculous hair, his pyjamas, his chest and his midriff sticking out. I want to feel intimidated by my villains, and good designs often play a large factor in doing so. I don't want to be laughing at them, because they look like satirical fantasy designs.

2) The final boss. Oh my God. What the heck happened there? Did they decide to just shrug their shoulders when thinking of what to do for Yu Yevon? They could have done so much more with Yu Yevon entirely, as well as the battles you have with the guy. Honest to God, I actually consider Braska's Final Aeon as being the true final villain.

3) Stop doing the same sphere puzzles for each damn temple sans the Tetris Zanarkand one! At least change it up a bit with variety, rather than force me to spend all those tedious moments running around with spheres, or in Bevelle's case, stare at Tidus's butt as the conveyer belt is constantly moving around. I didn't like the spheres, and here I was having to sit through it around 5 times. No thanks. Something else, please.

4) Have the ability to skip cutscenes. Say you wish to avoid the laughing scene for instance, rather than having to endure its painful execution. Is it so hard to have had the ability to skip them like in FFXII? That's something else that FFX could have simply done.

5) Is there a way to make Wakka less of a complete dumbass? So, your brother used an Al-Bhed weapon, but ended up squished by Sin. Of course! Let's blame the Al-Bhed instead of the creature! Oh, what's that? The destruction of the Al-Bhed Home is like happy festival fireworks? Way to go, dude. If you have nothing worth saying, Wakka, shut up. Please.

6) Put in some more effort with the towns. Luca for a city is crap, and Square have shown themselves perfectly capable of constructing metropolises worth exploring and comfortably sizeable, such as FFXII's Rabanastre. The fact that FFX bitterly disappointed me in this area after I played through FFXII has made this worth bringing up.

7) Blitzball. Where to begin with Blitzball? Some love it, but I detest it. I find it horrendously dull. There is no sense of tension as the speed crawls along slower than a limbless person carrying bricks in a rucksack in mud trying to go uphill. And why is there no third dimension? It's all on a 2D plane, which is baffling considering playing a sport in an aquatic sphere would immediately mean allowing players to go up and down. I don't know what I would have done with Blitzball, really. I would immediately think of something like FIFA with the real time, but with more volleyballs and water and less grass, but I really doubt Square could have pulled it off well enough without it sucking.

8) Make Yuna less of a dumbass. The whole marriage sham she decided to participate in for the sake of simply trying to talk Seymour out of it while attempting to hide it from the very people she is supposed to trust and rely on for her life is frankly a bit stupid.

9) Maybe I'm a bit of a traditionalist at times, but I didn't like the idea of having save spheres just heal you instantly like that. I've always felt that with Rin's travel agencies scattered around, they would be the logical place to drop by to rest as proper inns.

10) Find a way to curb back on the linearity. FFX could have had a series of branching locations in a similar vein to FFXII, encouraging players to actively look around and explore rather than simply follow the red arrow, which for nearly the entire game, you wouldn't need with how straightforward everything is. I like what they did with Mi'ihen in terms of two differing paths, so more of that would have been nice.

11) That weird bit inside Sin. The one with crystal stalagmites shooting out from the ground while you're trying to collect some items, while being thrust into battles whenever you run into the stalagmites. The trouble is, the camera is so unhelpful in this instance that the whole section is irritating. The ability to rotate the camera around at least could have been nice, or alternatively, do something else instead of a crystal stalagmite room.

12) Some of these voices. I never liked Yuna's voice. Hedy Burress, I am sure you are a wonderfully talented person, but I've never liked the weak voice you give to Yuna. Sure, I suppose it fits with her character (until you get to FFX-2...), but I would have changed it. Tidus's voice has always sounded obnoxiously whiny to me.

13) Where the heck are the Moogles and Tonberries. What?! Plush dolls? As Lulu's weapons?! What is this stupidity?

14) It would have been nice to have had a decent villain. You can make the case for Seymour being a decent villain, until his thin sinister vaneer of menace is quickly cast off and he essentially becomes a pest - like a running gag - in that you fight him multiple times while no one contemplates sending him until after 4 times. Yu Yevon the crappy bug at the end is laughably awful and wasted, while Grand Maester Mika is pretty much throwaway with how little I remember of the guy.

15) Auron should have had his own big send-off moment. Instead, he has to share the "death" sequence with Tidus, and Tidus is evidently hogging up the attention?!

16) Give Toriyama the job of making the sandwiches rather than the director's chair.

Slow Clap....clap...clap...clap

Agree with everything you said. You know from this comment you sound more Final Fantasy purist than your other comments about the downfall of FF and Square. XII is a good game but it lacks some magic in the story that X brings.

I don't think I would have changed anything. To me the game is perfect. I wouldn't want to fix what isn't broken.

Hmm, nope. I love it because I thought it was a good moment that showed a lot about both the characters and the situation they were in.
The situation they were in isn't the problem of the scene though....What Tidus tries to do is force laugh their troubles away. but in such a way that they looked angry doing it. Especially when Yuna joined in. It was rather stupid for Tidus to even bring up.

It was random too, it didn't feel like it was Tidus's character coming to life in this scene, it was like he was reading a script and followed what the developers asked.

The situation they were in isn't the problem of the scene though....What Tidus tries to do is force laugh their troubles away. but in such a way that they looked angry doing it. Especially when Yuna joined in. It was rather stupid for Tidus to even bring up.

It was random too, it didn't feel like it was Tidus's character coming to life in this scene, it was like he was reading a script and followed what the developers asked.

It was Yuna who brought it up lol she was the one who told him to force a laugh when he didn't want to, because that's what she has to do, and Tidus, not being from Spira was not used to that sort of thing, but tried anyway, regardless of it being weird and uncomfortable for him. It was supposed to sound forced, because that's what it was.

It was Yuna who brought it up lol she was the one who told him to force a laugh when he didn't want to, because that's what she has to do, and Tidus, not being from Spira was not used to that sort of thing, but tried anyway, regardless of it being weird and uncomfortable for him. It was supposed to sound forced, because that's what it was.

i know he was forced to do it, but she joins in like an idiot....you're looking at it in a way where it already happened, not if it theoretically was removed or changed.

i know he was forced to do it, but she joins in like an idiot....you're looking at it in a way where it already happened, not if it theoretically was removed or changed.

She joins in because he's looking like an idiot because of her, and she's not the type of person to just stand there and watch. That's because it did already happen, and I think it served it's purpose well. You could say the same thing about any scene from anything really, if it was different it would have been different and nobody would know anything else. However, it is in the game, it is part of the story, and I would not be happy if it were cut out or changed because I think it was a good scene, one of my favourites in the game :)

She joins in because he's looking like an idiot because of her, and she's not the type of person to just stand there and watch. That's because it did already happen, and I think it served it's purpose well. You could say the same thing about any scene from anything really, if it was different it would have been different and nobody would know anything else. However, it is in the game, it is part of the story, and I would not be happy if it were cut out or changed because I think it was a good scene, one of my favourites in the game :)

No you can't say that for every game....not every game has a random yet defining moment....but not as defining because in the end, it doesn't move the story forward....the act of "laughing" isn't really helping the story overall.

*puts hand on shoulder* My child, every game has a random yet defining moment.
And i'm here to say, that no...

In this case, Yuna has a random moment....yet the situation was the defining part....not what their doing. thats what i want to change.

Back