• Balthier

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Fran

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

mrdaggoth

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Only check 3 please. Feel free to vote and give feedback if you feel that you should :) Thank you

I use two teams and train them up equally. Balthier, Ashe, Fran, or Vaan, Bashe and Penelo. I much prefer the first lot, Balthier makes an awesome fighter, especially with the Zodiac Spear, Ashe I use as my black mage, and usually I play as her when running about the place, either her or Fran, who is my white mage/long distance damage. I love this combination the best. Next time I'm not going to bother leveling them all up equally either, I'm going to focus on those three only.

I always used Penelo and Vaan and would swap between Ashe and Basch. Though I used Ashe more than Basch so I picked her in the poll rather than him.
I liked using Vaan for close combat and Penelo was good for getting things from far away with guns. Ashe was there for healing pretty much and if I wanted to end something quickly I would bring in Basch to help Vaan.

My favorite three person team was Vaan, Ashe & Basch. The unstoppable trio. I used Vaan and Basch for close range combat with big weapons. And I used Ashe as a white mage. But she also had a big sword to fight with too.

The other three were used as a separate party. They leveled up then they'd get swapped, in a never ending cycle. I think I stole that strategy from somebody on here, way before I even joined. XD

EDIT: Woops! The Shield is the real unstoppable trio :ahmed:

Last edited:
The first time I went through the game I only used the guys, Balthier, Basch, and Vaan.

Since I just restarted playing it again, I'm going to sub out Vaan and use Ashe I thing just to switch it up again. I really don't see a strong connection for Fran in teh game and to the story so I have no desire to use her.

My team was always Vaan, Ashe and Basch and Balthier would be used if my main party had fallen (He would come in and revive fight a bit and then leave again).

Since the game allows for enough roles to suffice the whole party (plus some), complete with unique weapons, armors, and abilities, one really cheats their self from experiencing it all with only one party of three.

I have Vaan, Ashe, and Basch as the 'frontliners', with the attributes of one thief/light, another warrior/heavy, and a universal mage.

I keep the rest not just as backup, though generally speaking, I run in/start with the above. Particularly, their classes are a bit more specialized such as guns/spears for enemies with high defense, certain magics/skills and so on.

I'll switch one, two, or sometimes all three depending on what I need, so basically you'd see me with any given combination of them.

Always used Vaan, Ashe, and Basch, controlling Vaan.
They're just a perfect team, really. All 3 are good physical fighters, Basch especially, and Ashe is good with magic, so she's usually the one doing the most healing with Curaja, Vaan playing buffer

I would usually love to have Balthier and Fran in the party, and the third I would tend to swap out more frequently. Balthier and Fran are just excellent as a duo. That said, that's two rangers if you are a purist like me who liked them to stay 'in character'.
I believe I used to switch in Basch quite a bit to act as a close-range damage dealer.

In fact I don't believe I really strictly settled on a single core party layout.

I only played the original FFXII though, so I have no idea how I'd play them in Zodiac Age.

I use two teams and train them up equally. Balthier, Ashe, Fran, or Vaan, Bashe and Penelo. I much prefer the first lot, Balthier makes an awesome fighter, especially with the Zodiac Spear, Ashe I use as my black mage, and usually I play as her when running about the place, either her or Fran, who is my white mage/long distance damage. I love this combination the best. Next time I'm not going to bother leveling them all up equally either, I'm going to focus on those three only.
Wow, this is exactly what I did in my 2 playthroughs. Might even be the same exact teams. Basch and Balthier were the brawler/tanks, Penelo and Ashe were the long distance mages and the others were the in-betweeners. This was based strictly on stats for what was best for them.

That said, I incline to like the 2nd trio as my go-to. The stats are mostly identical, so it almost doesn't matter. Basch has the best stats for a brawler and Penelo for a mage. And I prefer Vaan over Fran because Fran ends up having the weakest stats overall. And I think the extreme stats tend to work best, as opposed to a better balanced party.

I formed two parties with the following members (and their first jobs).

Melee-damage party:
Balthier (bushi)
Bash (knight)
Penelo (white mage)

Magic-damage party:
Vaan (shikari)
Ashe (white mage)
Fran (red battlemage)

But I liked the melee-damage dealing party more, so I usually went with Balthier, Bash and Penelo (sometimes I switched her to Ashe, because I gave her Belias and I liked using him lol).

I used Penelo, Fran, and Basch.

I sometimes traded in Penelo for Ashe and sometimes used Vaan. I never used Balthier and I'm clueless as to why people adore him so much. Though, I wouldn't say that he's the worst, that's Genesis.

Back