[14/05] Square on FFVII remake: We’ve got to finish FFXV first, maybe after

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Not a day goes by that old school RPG fans don’t dream of what a Final Fantasy VII remake would be like. While Square Enix has been outspoken on this in the past, Final Fantasy producer Shinji Hashimoto told fans at the Thailand Comic-Con that before they consider remaking Final Fantasy VII, they’ve got to complete Final Fantasy XV.

Hashimoto said:

We know that everyone want us to remake FFVII. From now on we have to realize the old FF series.
But now we’ve to released FFXV first. It’s been 8 years, so we’ve to released it first.

The wording is a bit off as it has been translated from Japanese to English. From what I undertand, Hashimoto doesn’t completely rule out a FF VII remake but stresses that Final Fantasy XV has to be finished first.

Once FFXV is done it looks like Square Enix will consider a remake of the PS1 classic. Whether or not it actually gets made remains to be seen of course and we could still be years away from FFXV releasing.

Still its better to have a little hope rather than none!

gimmegimmegames

Personally, i believe this means more remakes, just not likely an ff7 remake. but...this could mean tackling the hardest remake first (7) then go for the easier ones. it'll either first or last IMO

Personally, i believe this means more remakes, just not likely an ff7 remake. but...this could mean tackling the hardest remake first (7) then go for the easier ones. it'll either first or last IMO

It definitely won't be the first remake, considering plenty of the old ones have been done already (3 and 4 mainly spring to mind). If 7 is remade, it will definitely sell well, so it won't be the last either.

Regardless, this is good to hear, but at the same time it's just one little bit of info that can be taken back at any time. I'm not getting my hopes up at all until a trailer (other than the tech trailer from years ago) is released.

As long as they don't change the gameplay and I wouldn't mind if that added some more challenging bosses. (Topaz weapon in FFVII? :wacky:)

I guess I'm more fond of an Update rather than a remake :hmmm:

i prefer a remake...all the way....i dont give a stuff overnostalgia so long as that the new additions in the compilation looks so much better than the original.

I don't know, part of what made those games so good was the gameplay, the appearance had little to do with it. Even some 2d games looked better than VII, really. I guess when it comes down to it, I'll still have the originals, the gameplay that relied in how good you were instead of how well you can mash a button.

yeah....i dubt they'll change the formula of the gameplay. they might expand on it, but the point of remakes is giving them a face lift sort of speak.

They give a different reason each time the question of an ff7 remake is brought up. I say reason and not excuse because by no means do i think the game needs to be remade.

Keep dreaming guys

Firstly I would Kill Square if the FFVII remake came out before FFXV :mokken:

Also FFI-IV have been full blown remade already, so that leaves V-IX (since I feel like X didn't even need the HD...but whatever.)

Secondly since I hated the FFIV remake (the DS one, since that is the only one that was really a remake, rest were just ported for the most part,) I feel like that they really could screw up a remake of any game...

Third, why do people ask about a remake when they have been working on one game for over 8 years with it changing consoles, and everything else?

Lastly, I feel like if people really wanna play VII, they can easily pick it up on the PC, on the PSN and then they can play it on their PS3, PS4, PSP, and Vita, so really there is no real reason to go through with a remake minus for people that claim graphics don't matter, then turn around and want remakes for better graphics...

Ehhh, the only reason I see for remaking a game is if the game itself is readily unavailable to pick up. You can now pick up every FF game on PSN up to X.

That's why XII should be the next one on the list. I know many,if not most, people here still have a PS2, but I certainly don't. I need a remake to play XII because I lack both the machine and game itself.

Obviously, you'll have fans who want their favourite to be remade "BECAUSE THE FF (Insert roman numerial here) GOT THEIR GAME, WE WANT OURS"! Now, we all know that the VII remake would sell really well, people would pick it up because Nostalgia- just like why they bring out Transformers films, and reboot stuff like Power Rangers. The game has a good system that might live in the faster paced modern gaming world.

... But it's just not NEEDED right now. The nostalgia factor is negated because: VII is on PSN, steam. Hell, you could- potentially- even play the discs in the PS3(arguable, someone let me know if you CAN do it). Sure, it would be cool to get an anniversary edition of it in Hd- with sexy colours and "CLOUDUUUUU'S SUUUPA BLONDU HAIRARU", but there's no real demand to bring out a remake (for the average joe-not the uber nerd/fanboy-girl-boygirl) if you can pick up the original for 10 quid on the PSN store.

So yeah... No need for it, at the moment. That could change in the future generations.

For fuck's sake, I wish people would stop asking about a FFVII remake every 10 minutes, as if they've suddenly decided a minute ago to go ahead with it, and are willing to immediately share with the rest of the class.

All you do is get a differently worded answer each time which effectively means no. The one gem was the assertion that they'll only remake the game after they've managed to "surpass" it, whatever the heck that means.

They won't do it. They'll probably sink themselves trying to do it anyway, and given that the average player must have played through FFVII at least twice already, let the game go. Stop fellating it.

reboot stuff like Power Rangers.

Oh God, they really have. I thought you were kind of kidding there to make a point, but they're actually going to do a reboot MMPR movie? Ohhhh, this will suck.

Broken_record2.jpg

Moron: "Hey, Hashimoto/Nomura-san, I know people have asked you this a million times already, and you're probably sick as shit of hearing this for the umpteenth time, but I, an imbecile, would like to also ask whether you plan to remake FFVII, and when it will come out! Even though many others have asked you this and the answer has always been either a long-winded "no", or a vague statement to say that the company MIGHT think about doing it, depending on things, I'm going to ask you about the remake anyway, vainly hoping that you'll have changed your mind since last week when some other bloke probably tried asking you the same thing. So, are you remaking FFVII?"

Square-Enix: "OHHHH! We forgot! Thank you so much for asking us! It just so happens that we decided in a meeting in Tokyo on Wednesday to actually remake the game! And...and...it will have to wait until AFTER our new game is done (the same new game you've all been waiting 8 years for, and probably won't come out until a decade after its announcement) first! I need to clarify this, in case you're a bit too dim to understand basic business. But anyway, thanks again for asking. You reminded us!

their not morons, but at the same time, its Se that brings it up that sparks the flames of the fans. it was a good year or so when we found out about it.

their not morons, but at the same time, its Se that brings it up that sparks the flames of the fans. it was a good year or so when we found out about it.

Ok tell me when they personally brought it up without it being asked to them in an interview after the tech demo?

The only time a remake was ever even planned was on the PS2 console with FFVIII and IX, but that was cancelled...almost wish it was remade then... then maybe I wouldn't have to hear about a FFVII remake every year... Sadly even if it was, I bet people would only not talk about it for one console generation...so right about now I would hear about it anyways for PS4...

I don't want them to remake it. They will screw it up with atrocious dialogue, poorly skilled voice actors, and change the game-play mechanics. It should be left in the past. The safe way would be to render the pre-rendered background to real time textures, particle effects etc, and create new character models and animations using motion capture. They should leave the game-play and music alone, but they could use the same score and just update it with a full orchestra.
I just don't think they have the vision to create something the fans would want. I don't even think they will attempt it unless "Final Fantasy" XV makes enough profit for them. A remake of this game would definitely sell up-front but if they destroy it the repercussions would not be good for Square Enix. The real challenge for them is to create something from scratch and make it good which they haven't done for some time.

Ok tell me when they personally brought it up without it being asked to them in an interview after the tech demo?

The only time a remake was ever even planned was on the PS2 console with FFVIII and IX, but that was cancelled...almost wish it was remade then... then maybe I wouldn't have to hear about a FFVII remake every year... Sadly even if it was, I bet people would only not talk about it for one console generation...so right about now I would hear about it anyways for PS4...

Can u prove every mention of FF7 remake is based on an interview?

even before the tech demo, fans have been wanting one, but never seen the light of day with its possibilities. the tech demo (and the Crisis Core ending) showed promise. but either way, they mentioned in the past that they straight up said "no". but then they keep saying "maybe". Maybe, maybe, maybe. as if they want it.

Regardless, this particular news hints that they are interested in the older FF games and possibly remaking/remastering them.

You see, as far as I'm concerned, this is good enough for a remake. Someone said to me they might only remake FFVII when they are about to go under because they know it'll sell well, and I believe that, really. Until then, have this! I disagree with a few of the speakers opinions, but regardless, it's pretty nice.

I, for one, like the idea of a more difficult setting. Difficulty settings are a love of mine that too often games go without.

Final Fantasy VII remake answers are as bad as the FF VII Love Triangle Debate. No matter what you look for, what you find for facts, what you find for proof, they always seem to screw you over, no matter what. Like, Razberry, I am for the FFVII remake. I think they should stop all their ridiculous XIII-45 chains, and give it a rest. They could make the older games look so much better with the technology they have now.

People wanting a FFVII remake are definitely not morons. Just because people enjoyed the game, and would love to see it with updated graphics, it proves they loved the game, and that they'd love to replay their game with shiny and fancy looking technology implemented, morons though, come on.

This world is full of people bashing one another, if someone would enjoy a remake that much, let them. At least they're not shooting up schools, those are the morons.

Seeing as there's a slight misunderstanding here, allow me to clarify. I'm fine with people wanting FFVII remade. I'm not calling them morons.

It's the people who incessantly ask about whether they're doing/going to do a remake that I'm calling a moron. If the answer was unsatisfactory last time as it had been for all these years, why is it going to change now with your asking? Granted, a person perhaps just doesn't have anything else to ask, or just thinks by mentioning it for the zillionth time Square would stop forgetting that people are still very interested in FFVII, but it's tiresome nonetheless.

i've given up on it, tbh. they always tease the game and then they always say no. but i guess i'm happy with that. i don't want square enix of today even touching that game. everything in the compilation other than advent children fucking sucked. they seem to not have a basic grasp on what they want the characters to look like(cloud looked fine in AC & DoC, but then they went and fucking changed his face for everything else). and i want them to get a basic understanding of what they want these characters to look like and act like before they go and touch one of my favorite games of all time.

if they were to remake it right now, i'd be convinced the game would be as awkward to sit through as crisis core, dissidia, and the ff13 trilogy.

so i'm quite honestly glad they're not remaking it. the only people that could do it justice is the original team.

Back