Your Favourite Character And Why?

Who is your most favourite character and why? My most favorite character would probably be Zidane and Vivi. It's quite hard to pick between the two. Zidane I have found is very refreshing from previous main characters that were quite serious and stern, he is very cheerful and when events tend to go wrong he still manages to hang on instead of expressing depressing thoughts of giving up.

I love how Vivi is quite shy and guilable, I think he is like a small child who is quite curious about the world around him and about himself. I love how the story goes in, he still manages to have the courage and he changes throughout the story, getting further brave. Plus I find he is adorable.
I love Vivi and Zidane as well. Zidane acts like an older brother to Vivi, and does everything to protect. Vivi seems to do the same for Zidane because of how often Zidane tends to stick his neck out for the little guy. Not to mention, that kid can pack quite a punch with his magic. But Zidane is my number 1, mostly because of his skill and personality in general, he knows when to be serious and when to goof around lol

My favorite character now would have to be Quina. I'm currently on my fourth play through of this game and I have not used Quina as my main character in the past. (I know she is a he, however he acts like a she too much so I prefer to call him a she lol) I think it was because I judged her as a weak character in the game, then realized she's pretty powerful esp with her blue magic ability: Limit Glove and Mighty Guard. She's very versatile. With auto-life equipped, I would say she's pretty invincible. Quina is hilarious as well, I enjoyed how she made me laugh. Vivi marrying Quina? lol. Funniest moment was when she discovered Mog for the first time and wondered if she cld eat it. She can eat anything that moves, carries a gigantic fork to stab your eyes out and be a bad ass not caring what ppl thinks of her and at the same time while letting her tounge loose? She's gangster.

Last edited:
I love all the characters for different reasons. I'd also have to give the nod to Vivi. His struggle against his nature and his own mortality is pretty gripping stuff. On the other hand, I absolutely love Steiner's comic relief and how he slowly warms up to Zidane throughout the tale. I have a lot of empathy for Freya as well, especially after the sections of the game in Burmecia and Cleyra.

There is so much greatness in this game I'm really hoping this gets a Remake or at least an HD remaster over the rumoured XII.
It's the most cartoony of the series for me. Every character is a winner.
Quina, Zidane, Vivi, Lord Steiner, Freya!
So heartbreaking to over look anything, but I think I'll give it to Zidane.

Moogle is by far my favorite character in this game, even though Moogle is technically not a character. I am making some fan art mugs for final fantasy 9 and other games.

MOD EDIT: Please do not self-promote in discussion threads and keep self-advertising to its proper section. For example, fan art can be displayed in Luca. Please note the Luca guidelines before posting. ~Nazca

Last edited by a moderator:
I really miss this game......I wish they would remake it with better graphics. I love the exploration factor in this, and final boss was amazing.

Choosing who is the most favourite character in Final Fantasy IX is somewhat difficult. There are plenty of amiable heroes, and as most of us I haven't tried to play with different characters in my team, but Zidane and Vivi were the ones I loved beyond anyone else.

I agree with FF7Destiny that Zidane is very cheerful and he is able hang on instead of expressing depressing thoughts.

Vivi is really cute and I like to believe Zidane and Vivi have a special bond. I loved seeing him developing and gathering confidence. This game really taught me that with the help of devoted friends You can overcome any mental or physical obstacles.

Kuja is absolute narcissist but in the end he showed remorse and resignation. And I loved his theme so much! When I heard first notes of his tune I suddenly became so excited and full of energy to follow what would story bring me now.
Steiner really amazes how loyal, devoted and honourable a man can be. When I was played FFIX I was always wondering if such people could really exist.
I was very sympathetic to Freya's tragedy, her music all the scenes the game showed and made me feel immersed into the story. She is the very person who shows true and the most powerful loyalty and devotion a man can ever have.

Tough one. I'd have to go with Vivi. Cute innocent looking little guy that packs a huge magical wallop.

I love all of the characters, but Zidane has always been my favorite, with Dagger/Garnet coming close behind (though Freya and Vivi are at her heels or beside her lol). I've just always loved the fact that Zidane wasn't the "silent protagonist" type. That tends to bug me in games. Not only that, but he varies from highly playful to very serious, and he's always looking out for his friends. He acts sort of nonchalant, but he's got a good heart and always helps people even when he maybe shouldn't. At the same time though, he's not the "goody-two shoes" type of character; he's not proper or what have you. I've just always related to him in a way and looked up to him.

But he and Dagger are both bae.

Zidane would be my choice with Vivi and Freya as close seconds'. Zidane's story is so deep and mysterious and unravels throughout. With him being the main character it is to be expected but that to me is what makes the games as a whole, the characters' stories within.

I am a huge Adamant fan in FFIX, but overall my favorite character is Zidane.

You just get so much of his differing personalities throughout the game that he's easy to get to know and ride his roller coaster of emotions with. In the beginning with his playful spirit, mischievous tactics, and his flirtatious attitude toward garnet, he's easy to take as a kid and just a goof-off homeless schmuck who can't stay out of trouble.

However, as the game progresses, you see the darker side of him where he starts to question his existence due to not knowing who he is, where he came from, and why anyone would have such great interest in him and his abilities. Saving the world? Pshhh, he never thought it would come to that, but after a few wake-up calls from the party and his close friends, he rose to the occasion and delivered on his promises.

Zidane, great character. Tail or no tail. ;)

This is a tough question for me to answer because I have multiple characters that I like in this game. My favorite character in Final Fantasy IX is Vivi. The reason why I chose him as my favorite character is because the design that they gave him, his personality and because of his ability to double cast black magic once in trance mode. Vivi is a quiet, calm black mage. I guess that is what makes him special in Final Fantasy IX.

I would say my favorite character in Final Fantasy IX is Vivi, particularly because I really felt bad for him not really understanding his own origins and not really knowing where home was. I am glad he was able to find happiness in the end. Also his character design was really well done and stood out a lot.
I mean I liked a lot of characters within the game, Freya in particular had a really interesting backstory too and I found her to be a really strong character. But overall Vivi was my most favorite character.

Vivi, with Zidane being a close second.

I love how Vivi's character develops throughout the game, he starts out this shy awkward little guy and becomes a bad ass black mage who fights for his friends.

As for Zidane he is just cool, he's upbeat, kind and kicks ass.

I don't really have a favourite since I liked them all except Amarant and Beatrix. I must say Kuja is pretty well written as far as Final Fantasy villains go.

The character that I always liked the most was Zidane. However, over the years I became very fond of Amarant and Eiko.

In fact I would have loved a prequel in which Amarant and Eiko travel together. Amarant being Eiko's bodyguard who decides to go on adventures around the world.

The character that I always liked the most was Zidane. However, over the years I became very fond of Amarant and Eiko.

In fact I would have loved a prequel in which Amarant and Eiko travel together. Amarant being Eiko's bodyguard who decides to go on adventures around the world.

That'd actually be interesting! I bet that'd make an interesting episode or plot for the animated series that has been talked about :O

Anyway, I'm surprised I haven't answered this thread before. I guess Zidane is my favorite character, with Dagger a close second. This game has always been my all time favorite of the series though, so perhaps part of the reason is that I just spent a good portion of my childhood just engrossed with the entire game that it's just my natural default answer to most 'Who is your favorite game/rpg/FF character'. It's funny because I don't tend to enjoy this kind of personality type in real life, but it's my favorite in video game characters. Perhaps it's because I enjoy this type of character's growth over the story though. Either way, yeah, definitely Zidane, though I appreciate most of the characters despite my absolute lack of liking the annoying little kid characters.

Did I post in here?

My favourite character is Blank.... :lew: I was gutted when he wasn't around for long or part of the actual crew that you play with. Steiner is another one I like, and Beatrix as well, but kinda similar to Blank, not really part of the party.

Sticking with my answer though, Blank!

Back