Twilight: Lover or Hater?

Love or Lust/Loathe?!

• Total voters
Lover. im a guy and admit it. Not of the books, but i love the movies and can always watch the first one and Eclipse was great!

Hater.

Such trash. I've seen all the movies (didn't pay for them; I streamed them online. I would never pay money to see them) because it's like a horrible car accident. xD

Ugh. I tried reading the first book. The first sentence goes something like "It was a warm and sunny afternoon." I stopped reading. That's as clichéd and horrible as starting a mystery novel with "It was a dark and stormy night." It's just... a glorified trashy romance novel.

That being said, I just generally dislike it. I don't hate Stephenie Meyer. More power to her for getting paid. I don't hate people who read it - though I do question their sanity. Though, since I'm certainly not a lover, I guess by default I'm a hater. And you know what they say about haters.

They gonna hate.

/post count post in spam.

I don't love them, but I don't hate them either.

Saw all three of them, didn't read the books, but I enjoyed sitting through them. Not one of those movies that I'd re-watch soon after seeing them, but definitely not the worst of the worst garbage either. =)

Hate.

Meyer's ripping all the benefits. There's no perfect men etc. Brainwashing etc. And why, oh why, did it spoil the readers by PUTTING IT IN THE BLURB WHEN YOU INTEND ON KEEPING IT A SECRET?!

I do not understand why it has attracted quite a large following of rabid fangirls AND fanboys with thoughts such as 'track you down ank kill You with my super awesom vampire powers THAT I AQUIRED FROM READING THE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!'

:ffs:

Source: http://www.ihav.net/vb/books-comics/anyone-else-absolutley-hate-twilight-40657.html#post205133

The standard for quality literature has certainly taken a nose-dive. This is quite apparent when we see books like Twilight getting so much popularity.

Hater. I hate how they portray Edward as some kind of perfect man when he is more in line with an abusive boyfriend.

Hate with a passion. I've got all 4 books, that I bought on impulse to see what all the fuss is about, I've tried to read them at least 3 times, but I can't get past the first 200 pages of the first book, it's simply awful. The writing is atrocious, and the characters... Bella's such a Mary Sue :ffs:

And don't get me started on the movies. My friend dragged me to see the second one. I want those three hours of my life back D=

I don't like choosing love or hate, but I'd choose love over hate I suppose.

Really, I like the books but am not an addict.

People can criticize it as "a crappy work of lit" all they want, but that's not why I read them. If I want some good literature I'll go to Steinbeck, Cather, Twain or Bronte. The Twilight series is meant to be read for pure enjoyment. It's an easy, fast read, and can be quite entertaining for many people.

A lot of people try to read too deep into it, which I think is dumb. Just read the book. Don't over-analyze it, it's a teen sensation for God's sake not a great American classic. I, for one, am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I think the storylines are phenomenal and the characters and fantastic. Do it think this makes the series a great classic? No. Because it is an entertaining read for all ages and doesn't take much thought to get through. Doesn't stop me from loving it more than any other book, though.

Twilight is interesting to many people. And not to many other. That's all.

I hate it. I hate the books, the movies, but I especially hate Stephenie Meyer. A lot of my hate around this topic of things, stems from my hate of her.

She's a hack of a writer. If the character's aren't being chagrined over something, they're often contemplative. And Bella apparently appears to be the epitome of 'sarcasm' however the only time she ever seems to have a sarcastic personality that makes her somewhat likable, is when Edward is gone in book 2, and she's settin' up with Jacob.

The book and it's fans continue to go on about it's 'love triangle'. It's hardly a love triangle when Bella continues to profess her love for Edward, INFRONT of Jacob... but continues to lead him on as a second option. It's more of a love cul de sac, because it doesn't matter how many times Bella visits the neighbourhood of Jacob, she keeps returning back to Edward.

And then.. there's.. this.

SMeyer interview on other fictional love stories said:
Actually Bella and Edward love story is better than them. When I was in college I wrote a paper from a feminist perspective (it's an easy way to write) on the princess bride so I am little biased. The problem I have with Westley and Buttercup is Buttercup is an idiot and it doesn't bother anyone, all that matters is that she's beautiful, that is her only value. At the end she redeems herself a bit, but the female characters are very weak in that story. Westley is brave and smart and fights, Buttercup is just beautiful, it's her only thing: her brain means nothing, her personality means nothing to him, they have the kind of love where they can't leave without each other. It's not a great example to me. I couldn't find one who was a really good comparison to me, I mean, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr.Darcy's it's pretty good, except you should think that if either one of them dies the other one will carry on bravely, and Romeo and Juliet were kind of idiots, they didn't know each other very well.

Really? BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM? REALLY? IDIOTS FOR NOT KNOWING EACH OTHER VERY WELL?

What's the time period of the first book before Edward and Bella 'fall in love' a few weeks? This woman is just such.. a horrible horrible person with no sense of literature.

^ This. I hate the books, the movies, the author, and yes even the actors. Robert Pattinson must leave my sight or my corneas will burn. Ahem getting that out of the way . . .

The Books: I read the first book, you know Twilight, complete with the overly fucking airbrushed cover of what's-his-face, Sir Pasty Vamp-a-lot-Ken-doll-impersonation aka Robert Pattinson and Missus Tranny-a-lot aka Kristen Stewart leering at me. So I thumb through this book, sit in my mom's car, and start reading it during the drive back home. The first immediate thing that sticks in my mind is the first fucking page of the first fucking chapter of this dreadful, terribly edited book (I wanted to shank the mother fucking editor, how the HELL could you get a simple grammar error in this BOOK!? How hard is it to spell words like "that" or "they're" with a fucking comma and . . . :rage:).

The first fucking page in this book is solely dedicated to Bella's stupid ass car, complete with a nice wittle description of the car, you know about the color and the year and the fucking type it was, and how it wasn't that great. Then you have Bella who complains about said car that was given to her by her very sane, very nice, very amiable and likable father. She's bitching and moaning and PMSing and being a typical annoying bitch and I just want to shank her, but I continue and try to keep a straight face.

I read on and realize that not only is Bella an ungrateful bitch who's supposedly so beautiful that her blessed countenance doesn't even faze her yet it manages to leave all of the boys salivating after her ass, but Edward is a complete and utter tool. Sure dude, your would-be-girlfriend smells great, but why the FUCK are you going to be an utter asshole and then fly away like a little fag to Alaska just because her smell was turning you on and melting you into puddy?! What vampire does that?! Bite her neck, god damn it! Pull a Bram Stoker's Dracula on her ass, God, I would've liked him even if he was based around Brad Pitt's characterization of Louie. But noooo, Meyer makes him into a sparkly vampire wannabe fag that puts Dracula, Louie, and Lestat to fucking shame so she can gain some moolah and become the next J K Rowling albeit much dumber and more naive. God fucking Christ . . .

There's also there wuv, woman, teenagers do not typically "fall in love OMGZ!" of that caliber, of that scale, of that fucking intensity within the first week of meeting each other. Bella would not logically look at Edward and think, "Oooh, love of my life, let me go and convince him to court me, tee-hee, whilst I completely ignore the three perfectly fine, intelligent, cute classmate that have been trying to cop a fee-er, date me for months now! Tee-hee!" Not even the most airheaded of girls in my school would've considered dating someone after meeting them for barely a day or two.

Teenage love with a vampire would probably go a lil' more like this: girl meets vampire, girl becomes sexually enamored to vampire, vampire becomes aroused by girl, girl gets bitten by vampire due to stupidity and carelessness, girl turns into vampire, girl tries to control hunger and bloodlust and yada yada yada dark things happen and shit. That's probably how shit would've went down but since SMeyer never read anything related to Anne Rice or Bram Stoker or any other classic Gothic novel like fucking Mary Shelley than she wouldn't know anything about realism or characterization of a vampire or any other human being for that matter because she's just interested in the moolah. Whew.

The Movies: I could go on really, I hated the casting for the movies, I've never watched them, I never will watch them. I avoid interviews like the plague. I sincerely think that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson's "wuv" for one another is a fucking marketing ploy to generate more money from those poor impressionable youth that love to salivate and dream about getting their own perfect Edward Cummen--er Cullen.

Characters: Bella is a bitch, 'nuff said. Her job is to bitch. She bitches to her dad, she bitches to her friends, she bitches to Jacob, and then she tries to bitch to Edward but his "hotness" stops her short. Oh yeah, did I mention that she's portrayed as the anti-feministic poster girl for this story? Which also pissed me the fuck off because she's supposed to be a strong role model for young girls, especially since she's like . . . oh I dunno, the fucking main character?! Yeah, Bella slaves in the kitchen, she cooks, she's clumsy, she's a tad airheaded, she's a bit bland and generic, and the sort of girl I would roll my eyes at if I met her in real life. I mean personally, I like to sympathize with my characters in their plight, hoorah for them when they grow the fuck up, get a pair of tits or balls, and resolve a confrontation/conflict. Bella never does that she bitches and bitches some more and has "EDWAAAAARD!" come save for her because she's too much of a clumsy whiny naive little twat to at least attempt to do it herself. Edward just enables her too, fucker wouldn't even let her drive in one of the chapters because, "oh it's too dangerous, Bella, even though you drive to school every single day, heheh."

And then Meyers raped the only character I actually liked, or one of them anyway. The Cullen family were all a bunch of perfect, transient, monotonous, watered down, over rated Mary Sues so I cared very little for them. All of them. Not even Carlisle, a vampire doctor can only entertain me for so long. But yes, Meyers raped and skull fucked poor, poor Jacob Black. Jacob started out as being genuinely concerned for Bella. He was a werewolf, had the trust of Bella's family, had connections from his Native American tribe that were affiliated with the tribe, and was very protective of her BUT respectful and mindful of her. Edward was just a controlling dickface and Jacob was a nice strapping young wereman-wolf-boy. See the difference? Great. So Bella uses him to extrapolate some info from him, gets said info successfully, and proceeds to keep using him throughout the series 'till like Book 3 or whatever because we learn that she's also a manipulative bitch.

Which brings me to my point? WHY the hell would you kill off the personality of a perfectly good character in order to turn him into this desperate whiny pseudo-psychopathic pedophiliac?! Why?! Oh yeah . . . kaching!

So yes, I hate it and I'll post more because my hatred runs deep and I was JUST. Getting. Started.

I like this series. I will admit that I am not an avid lover/follower of the series, but I did enjoy the movies, even though I vowed to not enjoy them in the slightest. My only dislikes were the sparkliness, the cowardice of Edward, and the incessant screaming of Bella in the second one. I will admit that even though I am a guy, (I am often seen as gay which can be irritating at times since I am not), I have a feminine side, leaving me very emotional at times and I cry often and also enjoy a good chick flick. I am also a terrible romantic, which I describe as loving romance, but sucking at it :). I enjoyed the different take on vampires in the story and the strange romance between the characters. Now, even though I didn't like the idea of sparkly vampires, I did have to admit that the idea was creative. I also enjoyed the in-depth description of things because I am not a fan of lack of description. I like to know what things are, why they are there, and what purpose they have. All in all, the series is good. It could have been better, but by god, it could have been so much worse. Just take a look at an old, crappy-as-hell movie called Manos: Hands of Fate. Trust me, watch that, and you will have a whole new idea of crappiness in movies.

Hate. I swear I tried to get through the first book. Got half way and couldn't take the Bella's bitching and shit no one cares about. >.< I mean I like descriptiveness, but.. that's way too much.

Bella's a useless sack of sue sex slave, and Eddy and Jacob are raper boys. :wacky: Well at least Jacob was tolerable in the beginning. I actually don't mind Edward as much as Bella, but he's still annoying. Personally I don't really mind the take on vampires though; that's pretty much the only thing non-cliche about it.

Well, tbf I haven't read any of the books, and I've only seen ten minutes in the middle of the first movie, but after all the details I've read or heard about it from a friend of mine who practically worships it, I had to be a hater :monster: Just the sheer fact that it takes the entire series to hook up one couple, and that this hooking-up is *the focus* of the story, is irritating to me beyond comprehension. I know a lot of people like stories that are only about romance, but I've never been one of those people >_> My favorite stories have always been the ones where any romance aspect between characters is merely peripheral--important to them certainly, but not the main focus of the story. Lord of the Rings is my favorite example--AragornxArwen was only one subplot, not the point of the whole story, and from what I've heard the parts featuring her weren't even in the books :dave: The "restraint" that the characters exercise (from what I've been told) throughout Meyer's abomination is also incredibly unrealistic. Vampires have historically been very carnal, often sexually-charged creatures; and yet I read somewhere that the main characters don't even sleep together until after they're married? :ffs: But then it's all down and dirty and they're biting pillows and things are getting broken and whatnot o_O I heard that the reason for the wait is based in Meyer's personal views/beliefs; however, if you're going to doll something up in propriety suitable for ten-year-olds, don't have them sully themselves within the course of the series afterward O_O That's essentially what I like to call, trying to hook young readers into something dirty while keeping it under the parental radar :mokken: Honestly, the whole thing is a shameless ploy to make money off of mediocre literature, and which has been milked to the nth degree. And they couldn't have picked worse actors to play the leads in the films either. The female has to be the WORST actress I have ever seen in my life; in all honestly I would've believed she was the undead one rather than her love interest >_> And for Robert Pattinson, I thought he did a fairly decent job as Cedric in the fourth Harry Potter, but ever since he's been in Twilight, every time you see him, whether in character or not, he looks scruffy and undead :mokken: It's a waste of talent, he could've been in more serious, mature movies and perhaps gotten more respect from a wider variety of audiences across the board, rather than solely vampire or romance fans :hmmm:

Really, I would love to do a more vociferous rant; however, it wouldn't be fair or possible unless I actually exposed myself to the raw materials, and I'm too busy with my own stories to bother with it :neomon:

Last edited:
It's a love story, and it's unrealistic. Perfect for girls// I don't hate it, but it's def not my thing. I think of vampires and imagine Louie and Lestat, or something similar to them_ Anne Rice is much better than Stephanie Meyer.

May I point out that I've read Twilight because for the sake of judging how bad it is?

Im a lover. I like the fact Stephaine Meyer was just a normal house wife who didnt have loads of degress and went on to write. Shes not up her own arse like most are and loves her fans. Not just for the amount of cash shes made, but her books help inspire other writers and lovestruck teens. Yes her books do lead to some terrible fans, specially the violent ones. But you get people like that all the time, look at Da Vinci Code and Harry Potter. They both have royal, but also crazy fans.

I dont mind if people hate the series, everyone has an opinion. What I dont like is when the haters force their opinions down your throat or when you say you like Twilight, you get abuse.

Back