TGS 2018: The Last Remnant Remastered coming west on 6 December for PS4

lastremnantps4.jpg

Does anyone remember The Last Remnant? It released in 2008 exclusively for the Xbox 360 (and PC shortly after) and was one of the very few HD JRPGs actually released by Square Enix during the previous generation. While the game is now no longer available on Steam, a remastered version for PlayStation 4 was announced and is scheduled to release digitally on the 6th of December this year in western territories.

The Last Remnant was one of very few JRPGs to ever be made on Unreal Engine 3 and this remastered edition will take full advantage of its successor Unreal Engine 4 to furnish itself with enhanced graphics.

TLR 1.jpg

TLR 2.jpg

In Square Enix's words: "The Last Remnant Remastered tells the story of a world filled with “Remnants” — ancient artefacts that grant mysterious power to their wielders, changing the world’s balance and leading to an era of countless frays between those who ruled, and those who obeyed. Within this war-torn fantasy world, players will follow the journey of a young man who is determined to uncover the truth." <--- actually I will have you know it's basically Johnny Yong Bosch spending half the game screaming out the name of his kidnapped little sister.

Nova Crystallis & Gematsu

Linnaete

Linnaete

Let's hope the performance isn't utterly awful this time, lol. I liked what I played of the game, but didn't get more than maybe 7 hours in because the framerates were unbearable.

Might get it again, even though I’ve played it twice already. Never fully completed the game, although I could have since I was towards the end. But I wasn’t ready for the game to end, I guess. I enjoyed the game so much. Dare I say I liked it even better than FF8’s junction system? The battle system is easily the most memorable one for me. I’d go to sleep and my mind was racing, strategizing my next moves, because this game was unforgivable. The tiniest mistakes can make you rage quit and start the game over even after 30 hours in. And it drove me nuts because the prospect of starting over excited me anyway.

I just hope they add more features in, and make it so that the game doesn’t punish you for fighting enemies whenever you want (you had to be kinda strategically selective with enemies you encounter and the game doesn’t explain this - had to learn the hard way.) I guess that’s my only beef with it.

Last edited:
I bought a 360 cheap recently to play their JRPG's - this being one of the main ones, but I have heard like ZaXo mentioned above the framerate for the 360 version is out right appalling. I'm all for this, but much like their Remaster of Star Ocean: the Last Hope, I'm kinda hoping it's not digital only - I'd happily pay £20 for a physical copy!

Also... interesting it is not on Xbox One...

I bought a 360 cheap recently to play their JRPG's - this being one of the main ones, but I have heard like ZaXo mentioned above the framerate for the 360 version is out right appalling. I'm all for this, but much like their Remaster of Star Ocean: the Last Hope, I'm kinda hoping it's not digital only - I'd happily pay £20 for a physical copy!

Also... interesting it is not on Xbox One...
I totally feel what you mean! I also prefer physical games so it's a kind of disappointment that we can only get a digital copy.

It is also strange that there won't be a Xbox One version. After hearing that Kingdom Hearts III will get an Xbox One version, it's also shocking that Remnant (which was released originally on Xbox360, too!!!) won't. I just don't get these release policies at all...

I totally feel what you mean! I also prefer physical games so it's a kind of disappointment that we can only get a digital copy.

It is also strange that there won't be a Xbox One version. After hearing that Kingdom Hearts III will get an Xbox One version, it's also shocking that Remnant (which was released originally on Xbox360, too!!!) won't. I just don't get these release policies at all...

It's likely because of both the less than ideal sales of the Xbox One, and the fact that these sorts of games traditionally do pretty poorly on Xbox even when the console is leading in sales. Probably just not worth the money to port and optimize for the Xbox One as well.

Back