Spoilers - FFIX, some Questions about the ending.

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
Ok guys.

I am not going to black out the spoilers here because I put spoilers in the title... if you come in here and have something spoiled for you... too bad.

So I just finished FFIX for the second time the other day... and have a few questions about the ending.

First question is kind of not important but I am curious:
1. Why/how does vivi have Sons??? I thought all Black mages were male? Is it ever explained or is it something we're just meant to accept? I cannot accept this >:C

2. So back when Zidane went to the Iifa Tree to find Kuja, all the tree branches came in on them and seemed to bury them...is it explained how Zidane got out?
3. How many years was it between Zidane being trapped in the tree with Kuja and meeting Garnet in the end cut scene? It felt like only a few days to me but vivi suddenly had 1000 kids.

Perhaps these things were never explained and we're just meant to ignore it and get over it... but if there is an explanation then I'd love to hear it. :)

BTW...Necron was so easy... I don't know how I had so much trouble with him on my first play through...

About question one, I think we're meant to assume that Vivi or someone else created more so Vivi had a family (though the original is dead now, I assume)

As for the second one, no idea, I suppose he was agile enough to weave through them or something.

wow... I never even thought about Vivi being dead and never noticed that they didn't actually show him in the last FMV... this saddens me :sad3:

The simplest answer to number 1 would be that Vivi made use of the mist machine in Dali to create more black mages before he died (which he certainly did).

#2: Zidane is a monkey-tailed angel of death, I'm sure he figured some way to get the hell out of here.

#3: Beats me.

meh, felt like there should have been more explanation to number #2. It kind of felt lame that Zidane just 'got out' and never returned until years later.

it would have been better if Kuja had saved him with his last lot of energy or something >:C

Well, if we are assuming Vivi is dead (T.T) Then it's safe to say the time period has to be at least a couple of years seeing how everything has settled down it seems. And who knows maybe Zidane got trapped in the Tree and had to spend a good amount of time trying to escape somehow. I guess the vague ending just adds to the imagination of Final fantasy games :P

First question is kind of not important but I am curious:
1. Why/how does vivi have Sons??? I thought all Black mages were male? Is it ever explained or is it something we're just meant to accept? I cannot accept this >:C

Well you see he found Eiko and he..... no just joking. :kira: Remember that place in Dali, where the "Vivi look alikes " where being made, at the beginning of the game, and Vivi was kidnapped ? A guess is that, Vivi knew that he was dieing, but he wanted his spirit to live in. So he cloned himself by using the mist machine and made children.

2. So back when Zidane went to the Iifa Tree to find Kuja, all the tree branches came in on them and seemed to bury them...is it explained how Zidane got out?

The only thing that's really explained that Zidane kept on singing Garnet's song, to keep him moving. I've once watched a movie, about a man who was terribly injured and he spent days, moving slowly backwards, not able to move his legs, and the only thing keeping him going, was singing a song. Judging by this real life experience, Zidane could of been in there for years.... just singing Melodies of Life.....

3. How many years was it between Zidane being trapped in the tree with Kuja and meeting Garnet in the end cut scene? It felt like only a few days to me but vivi suddenly had 1000 kids.

In the FFIX Ultimania, it has the years events and then it heads with the crashing collapse of the tree with Zidane and Kuja inside. So really, it could of been years. But I'm guessing about a year, according to the Ultimania, Zidane is assumed dead around about March, and Garnet's birthday is in Jan. So if he was back in time for Garnet's birthday, wanna say about a year. :think:

I thought it was a year between the final battle and Zidane and Garnet's reunion. I swear something on the screen mentions "a year" :hmmm:

I have no definite answers on how Zidane got out of the vine mess, but I like to think Kuja didn't quite die at that moment (Zidane did make the effort to protect his body) and managed to teleport Zidane out...somehow. Just don't know how xD

As for Vivi, I agree with the above posts. Vivi likely used the Mist Machine to create more clones, perhaps even figuring out how to prolong a doll's life span?

Well since Vivi could live longer than the other Mages Kuja made, I think maybe the mages or someone else found a way to make more without mist maybe?

Well you can go by the theory that he somehow cut his way out, killed everything in his path and gained super strength and used his Trance on everything, my real question is if Zidane is alive does that mean Kuja is alive also? Where is he?

I think something said a year or something, and do we really know how old any mage is anyways? I mean they kinda are already like...tall and "old" arnt they?

Well you can go by the theory that he somehow cut his way out, killed everything in his path and gained super strength and used his Trance on everything, my real question is if Zidane is alive does that mean Kuja is alive also? Where is he?
[/QUOTE]
Well, Unless Kuja sacrificed himself or something of the sort to save Zidane, he is alive somewhere (If he did sacrifice himself to save Zidane then that would be a waste of time for him to go back lol)

I looked up the FF 9 Ultimania and this is all that it has for information.

March 1: Terra is largely destroyed. With the activation of the Iifa Tree, the whole of Gaia starts being covered in Mist. The activity of the roots is enormous and many villages are left in ruins
March 3: With the return of the Mist, it reaches the point that Mist mechanisms become usable again.
March 4: A swarm of silver dragons appears.
March 5: The source of all the silver dragons, the Nova Dragon, dies, and all the silver dragons disappear.
March 9: The Iifa Tree begins running amok. Zidane parts ways from his companions.

March 16: The Iifa Tree settles.

It explains nothing, absolutely nothing at all. They explain about the mystery of Necorn, they could of least told us how Zidane escaped from the tree and if Kuja is dead or alive.
:jtc:

yeah wow, you're right. They really didn't think the ending through that well did they? hahaha. Perhaps they didn't think anyone would question it?
or maybe it was coz FFIX was never meant to be a real FF game in the first place?

It's because they don't feel the need to explain every little thing (just like you don't need the whole Jenova thing spelled out in FFVII or about Laguna and Squall in FFVIII), of course they thought the ending through. Kuja is clearly dead, and as for how Zidane escaped - well he just did! If you want a detailed completely believeable explanation from Square, keep hoping. Same with Vivi's children. The rest of us will just enjoy a great ending.

hey mate, I was just hoping that there might be some explanation on it or maybe I missed something. No need to be sarcastic.
If they didn't explain it, then they didn't explain it. I, however would have liked some explanation because it felt a little unfinished to me.

Ok hang on to your seats guys....sequal setup! I mean right now it seems like a blunder and we all want to know how he escaped and if kuja died, but think about it from a different point of view. This missing information is a great way to set up a sequal if they ever do decide to rock one out.

Ok hang on to your seats guys....sequal setup! I mean right now it seems like a blunder and we all want to know how he escaped and if kuja died, but think about it from a different point of view. This missing information is a great way to set up a sequal if they ever do decide to rock one out.

You mean like Dirge? A one person shooter with Zidane hahahaha, as he climbs out.

I would actually like to see a spin-off following the story of Sir Fratley, detailing what caused his amnesia and what he did up to his reunion with Freya, and then from from there what he did up until the end of FF9.

I don't know, I quite like the mystery surrounding Zidane's escape. During the ending, just before the credits, the final lines of dialogue (presumably between Zidane and Garnet) ask how he escaped, to which his answer is simply he didn't have a choice. In some ways, I think a sequel detailing how he escaped would ruin this. On the other hand, assuming Kuja also survived, that would perfectly set the grounds for a seuqel. Possibly an 'After Years' redemption style sequel?

Concerning the time between Zidane getting trapped, and the ending scene, I think it's about 10 months, since it mentions the performance of I want to Be Your Canary is part of an annual celebration, which would put it sometime around January 15th 1800.

I don't know, I quite like the mystery surrounding Zidane's escape. During the ending, just before the credits, the final lines of dialogue (presumably between Zidane and Garnet) ask how he escaped, to which his answer is simply he didn't have a choice. In some ways, I think a sequel detailing how he escaped would ruin this. On the other hand, assuming Kuja also survived, that would perfectly set the grounds for a seuqel. Possibly an 'After Years' redemption style sequel?

Concerning the time between Zidane getting trapped, and the ending scene, I think it's about 10 months, since it mentions the performance of I want to Be Your Canary is part of an annual celebration, which would put it sometime around January 15th 1800.

how did you manage to get a date :srsly:

on topic I really like the way the ending is... it part of the mystery that ff games have... you know i think showing how zidane escape would run the game. like it just a mystery or maybe he had to escape just so that he could return to garnet....

like others have said, the way the ending is could lead to a 'after years' type game like what FFIV has.. i know I would play it :awesome:

Back