Spoilers - FFIX, some Questions about the ending.

how did you manage to get a date :srsly:

on topic I really like the way the ending is... it part of the mystery that ff games have... you know i think showing how zidane escape would run the game. like it just a mystery or maybe he had to escape just so that he could return to garnet....

like others have said, the way the ending is could lead to a 'after years' type game like what FFIV has.. i know I would play it :awesome:

The FFIX Ultimania has the date of 15 January 1799 for the Prima Vista arriving in Alexandria at the beginning of the game, and 9th March for Zidane parting ways. Garnet says that the performance at the end is the first time she is seeing all the other characters again since then, so this would theoretically be the next annual performance of the play.

Last edited:
Personally, I thought the ~10 months or so was pretty evident because the play is annual, as was said. Kuja dying also seemed pretty obvious (before the tree went berserk), as did that Vivi stopped.

I'm not really understanding the little theory that Vivi went on and made some black mages from the black mage factory either. The lifa tree settling would imply there is no mist, thus no "ingredients" for the mages. Besides, Vivi was very much against the mage factory in the first place.

Besides, Vivi being a male and procreating really wouldn't be any more or less strange than Zidane doing that. I mean, both are identified as male, yet in a sense they're just vessels, and gender seems to be a relatively unimportant thing about them both in that sense. Vivi is identified as male in the game numerous times, and while he's really shy when Zidane asks him about the girls, he doesn't seem to find the idea totally ludicrous. Certainly him being identified as male would imply there are female black mages aswell. There's always Mikoto, aswell.

There wouldn't be a distinction that Vivi is a male, if there weren't something to distinguish him as a male from. Besides, what happens in Madain Sari makes Vivi's ...uh, biology kind of obvious ;)

This is kind of overthinking things either way you see it. It's a great game with a great ending either way. I hope they don't ruin things by silly sequels that make even less sense.

I always assumed, like several others said on here, that Vivi created others. The question is: did he ever learn how to fix the problems? You know how they would die: just stop moving? Did he ever figure out why and fix it?

As for Zidane escaping, I thought it explained... But I don't really remember. I haven't played it in years... ^^;

I just spoiled myself for the ending. Do i care? not at all! :monster:

anyway. The only thing I can answer ATM is the mini-vivis. For all we know. vivi could power the machine in Dali with quick jolts of Magic. in order to clone himself. Or he used the last remnants of Mist to clone himself.

Unless of course. That the moment the Lifa tree settles all the mist just goes poof. Because if thats so I think he used magic.
And on zidane escaping. well....I cant say much. If he got trapped my only conclusion is that He went Ape-shit(pun intended) on everything. which would explain why he was trapped in there so long too.

Garnets birthday is in january. Zidane went missing in march. Which unless the lifa tree can send you back in time or something. Means Zidane went ape-shit(pun intended again) on everything for a year. there is alot of stuff he has to fight and breakthough. and with all his trance powers. it would tire him out. so i wouldnt put it past the game for Him to take a year to get out.

Back