Moogle Murder Mystery II (sign-ups, rules, and discussion).

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
This is a pre-Birthweek sign-up thread for Moogle Murder Mystery II!

Good job I started planning this before work on the magazine got started, otherwise there would have been no chance!

I will try and have this event ready to start as close to the beginning of Birthweek as possible.

Last year's event (see here and here) was a huge success. Will you help make the sequel as good as the original?

Moogle Murder Mystery II
Murder! Murder!

A new ‘Mog Doe’ has washed up on the shore of Whitnut-on-Sea!

Mog Doe 2.png

The small seaside town is now on lockdown while we wait for the detectives to arrive.

This is where you come in!

Moogle Murder Mystery is a whodunit game where you can create a detective character, explore the area for clues, and find out what happened to this unfortunate victim, his identity, and why he was murdered.

This game might seem daunting at first, but it is actually very simple and requires a minimum of effort from you. Please expand and follow the following sets of rules to help you in this game.

Designing Your Detective:
Please follow this simple template for designing your detective:

Name:
Appearance: (write a short description or post an image for me to base your character on).

For example, someone might be inclined to post the following:
Name: Inspector Bottlenose
Appearance: I want a kick-ass dolphin detective who is suave, plz!!!!

I will then produce the image of your detective as such:
Inspector Bottlenose.png

A miniscule version of the image will be placed on the map and will be moved on each turn to the location decided by the player.

For this example the test player has decided to let Inspector Bottlenose investigate Mog Doe’s body:

(The below preview is a work in progress and is very likely to change)
Map intro thread - final version likely to change.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: You may take your character creation as seriously or nonsensically as you like, but we cannot allow extreme nudity and sexual content. You may find a limited handful of nudes and suggestive content in Whitnut-on-Sea (because this is a parody of a seaside town, and seaside towns do sometimes resort to that sort of thing), but nothing is ‘shown’.
Let’s not get too crazy.
For returning players: You may use your previous detectives again if you like, or you can create a new one.

Rules of the Game:
It is suggested that you refer back to these rules if you are ever unsure about the game.

Turns:
You all have one ‘Turn’ per round. A round ends when the game’s host (Dionysos) updates the map and reveals the outcomes of your turns.
Each of your turns can have two parts*.

1) Moving to a location (into any unlocked room up to a particular object).
2) Actions (interacting with an object or talking to an NPC).

Interactions shall be drawn and updated on the map (with larger drawings showing particular moments of note).

*Your move can have three parts if your most recent turn saw you interacting with an object small enough to pick-up or in instances of special interaction. In these instances you will be prompted and asked if you would like to pick up and keep the item or interact with it in a special way (this does not affect the two parts of your turn). Some items will be granted to you automatically.

Moving:
Since you can move to anywhere on the map you can move great distances with one move. You do not need to waste a move interacting with doors. Imagine that most doors are unlocked and you can request to move to a particular item in another room at the other side of the map if you wish.

There are some exceptions. Some doors are boarded up, meaning that the doors are locked or the building behind them is closed. Depending on your actions, some circumstances may change, but others may remain closed throughout the duration of the game.

Police cordons and tape may also block some roads. This means that the player cannot access these locations.

Moves which ‘discover’ a new area such as following the road to go further into town will count as exhausting both aspects of your turn. Once the area has been discovered you can move freely between maps.

Interacting with objects:
You can interact with objects to examine them, or you can use an item from your inventory which you have found or picked up.
All detectives start without any abilities. Do not request to use X-ray vision or any special abilities in your moves unless you have picked up an item which enables you to do something.

If you cannot make out what an object is by its miniscule representation on the map then just make reference to it as being ‘the item next to so and so, in so and so a room’. Rooms are all labelled above the room on the map, and buildings often have clear signs indicating what they are.

Try to be smart with how you deal with objects. When you examine them, think outside of the box with what you can take from them. It might just work!

Non-Player Characters:
You’re not alone in Whitnut-on-Sea! The police have stopped anyone from leaving the popular seaside town. This means that you have a number of potential witnesses to the murder to interrogate!

Treat the NPC characters as you would treat objects, but you may also wish to ask a specific question (one per action) or use an item on an NPC. They might respond to you and tell you something, or they might not. Some NPCs might not be very cooperative unless the conditions are right!

Tip: Although the main NPCs cannot leave the area, NPCs have their own motivations and may move about based on their own desires. You might want to keep an eye on them.

Discovering clues and scoring points:
For each clue which you discover you shall be rewarded points. The more important the clue is to solving the murder the more points you will receive.

The winner of the Moogle Murder Mystery shall be the player whose detective has discovered the most important and valuable clues. This is NOT necessarily the same as the player who collects the most amount of clues, but the player whose total value of collected clues is worth more (i.e the murder weapon).

All knowledge is shared in this game, but only the people who find the clues gain points for them. If people remain alert to what other people have been discovering, anyone can follow a trail of clues to find another clue, and so on.

Side-quests:
Lots of things happen seaside towns! The unidentified Mog Doe is only one mystery left to be solved. Outside of the main storyline there are several side-quests if you wish to pursue them. You will get points for these too and special surprise rewards if you do well.
Clues related to the moogle murder generally score you more points than clues related to side-quests and other mysteries, but all clues will score you some points.

Hazards and Dying:
There are many items in this town which may harm your character. Some objects might inflict a status effect (requiring an item to fix), some might kill a character within a number of turns if the player does not seek aid, or some might even instantly kill an unfortunate character if the conditions are right.

If you do die, and I expect some of you will, do not worry. Death is not the end. You may purchase the ‘Twin Turtle’ in the MogShop for 500 Gil and create a new character if you wish. Since the new MogShop has not launched yet, we can arrange an agreement that such a transfer would take place as soon as it launches.

There are also some item-activated chances for revival in limited circumstances (if other players decide to revive you and discover how). If this happens and you end up with two characters in play at the same time then this will be allowed, but only the character with the highest score will be counted when calculating the winner at the end of the event.

Once the game starts anyone can join this game at any time. There is no cut-off point for sign-ups for detectives solving a crime. However, we don’t want to let this become a cold case. The event will end when other Birthweek events have ended. The earlier you join the higher your chances are for solving the crime and getting larger rewards.

Who volunteers? Who do you want to be? Do you work alone, or do you help each other? How you play is entirely up to you.

This thread shall serve as a sign-up and discussion. Please request your detective creations here and leave any questions or comments about the game.

Another thread containing the rounds and map updates shall be created to run parallel to this one when the game begins when Birthweek officially starts.

Last edited:
Sign me up, bruh

I'll request my detective character later when I actually have something in mind.

I'll sign up again, I forget if I remade a detective after the chuckomorph so I will get back to you as well

Name: Count Clarence Cluckbeak, aka The Bane of Fowl Play

Appearance: A distant cousin of a certain Tohm ( :chickenosaurus: ), Cluckbeak is a pompous, bloated, overgrown lilac-coloured chicken with a distinct beer belly and a penchant for permanently sticking his beak up towards the air like any good, stereotypical upper-class toff. A distinct bowler hat adorns his pretty, porky head along with a golden monocle, complimented by an ornate, regal silvery white suit with golden trimmings and an eye-catching scarlet carnation. A pair of pristine white trousers and oversized black dress shoes cover up his stumpy legs.

Unlike his distant cousin, Count Clarence Cluckbeak does not require the services of a stool.

OG Angry Bird will return to defend his thone. This year he will be sans sword. Instead he will be wearing a championship title belt.

Reactions: Six
I will use chocobuncles mysterious genetically engineered cousin that also happend to be infused with velicoraptor DNA. As a result he has an angry disposition and is constantly hungry.

First drafts of the following detectives:

Count Clarence Cluckbeak (@Linnaete):
Cluckbeak2.png

Chocobuncle's Cousin (do you have a name for this character @Soulcorruptor ?):

Chocobuncle2.png

OG Angry Bird (@sly):
OG Angry Bird the Second1.png

As stated, these are drafts. Some finer details might be added. I just wanted to know if I was on the right track.

If anyone wants anything changed, let me know.

@Ilyena if you have any ideas for a detective character yet, let me know and I'll draw it for you and you to the starting list.

Name: Gerry Adams, but a chav

Appearance: Gerry Adams, but a chav. Talks like a chav. Would like him to be wearing the finest Adidas trackie, with the flyest Air Max Runners!

P.S. if possible, can you throw in a can of Dutch Gold in his hands?

No name really, maybe Raptorbo or Chocotor

Name: Tobias T-Rex

Appearance: A T-Rex in a cozy button-up sweater (so as to appear more harmless). Unfortunately the arms of the sweater are floppy because his tiny T-Rex arms are too small to fit them. His preferred method of transportation is a unicycle because his arms can't reach the handlebars on a regular bike. He has an assistant that looks like Zazu from the lion king and hovers over his left shoulder. He is strictly there to fetch any clues that Toby's tiny arms can't reach.

First drafts of these detectives:

Chav Gerry Adams (@Paddy McGee):
Gerry Adams2.png

Tobias T-Rex (@Ilyena):
Tobias2.png

I wasn't sure if you meant Tobias' left shoulder (which is our right), or our left. I went with Tobias' left.

If you'd like any adjustments let me know!

I'll finish up the first map and post the starting round asap!

Is it too late to join? If not...

Name: Susan Boyle
Appearance:

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/persons/552041/552041_v9_ba.jpg

I'd love for you to go as mad with this one as you like Dans :lew:. All I ask is that she has bazongas. Give me a shout if you need more info :).

So is this in the right ballpark?

S Boyle1.png

Let me know if anything needs editing / explaining.

I could do some work on her body as it looks a bit off, but that is off because I tried to make her look like Jynx.

So is this in the right ballpark?

View attachment 5380

Let me know if anything needs editing / explaining.

I could do some work on her body as it looks a bit off, but that is off because I tried to make her look like Jynx.

That's absolutely incredible :rofl:. Thank you so much! One quick change I wouldn't mind, if you have the time. Can you make her cross-eyed? :lew:

Back