Is it just me or is FF9 combat sloooow?

Makatak

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I've been playing the final fantasy series again. And this time I've been playing them in order, 1 through 8 so far, and now I'm on 9. And the ATB combat feels even more slow and sluggish than FF4. Battle speed is cranked up to maximum, but still, the ATB gauges fill up quite slow, and there seems to be some 2-3 second pause between characters action/execution. So I find myself moaning and groaning when I get back attacked by 4+ enemies that can cast spells because I'm waiting (censored)ing forever for each of them to complete their spell animation numerous times. I guess I'm more accustomed to FF5 and 6 in terms of how quickly things move along.

Yeah it does fill up slow. I actually passed comment on this myself the other day I was just randopmly doing a battle right after either VII or VIII and was like....ugh, battle speed needs turning up

Went into the menu, and it already WAS turned up xD

If you like the gamne though, just just have to lump it, it's not THAT big a deal, though I am impatient as hell and found myself muttering at the screen watching the bars fill up. I'm sure it mustsort itself out later though, because Ive never really picked p on it before tbh :hmmm:

I felt that the combat system just added to the dream like/story book styled state of the whole thing. It's all atmosphere for me really.

It'd incredibly sluggish without Haste/Auto-Haste cast/equipped at all times, I found. Particularly so in the early stages of the game where the SPD stat is excusably small. :(

Though to be perfectly honest, I found it easy enough to get used to. Ice Cave onwards seems to just fly by. :pacman:

For the most part, yeah I think it takes... some time to fill up but after a while into the game you get use to the slowness :wacky: At least I did. When I started to get more into the game it wasn't that much of an issue for me anymore.

I don't think I noticed really the first time honestly. The last time I played though, I realized it was kind of slow to fill up and some of the battles seemed to last longer than necessary, particularly the ones in Kuja's palace. Although that was partly due to my party setup, methinks. :wacky:

I confused Ipsen's Caslte and Oeilvert for some reason, so I forgot to remove the magic users from my party. That part sucked ass. >_> Anyway, it was a bit slower than in the other games but it didn't hurt the gameplay any, imo.

I definitely thought it was way too slow. I think it might have had something to do with having 4 characters in the party, though, because VII, VIII, X, and XII all had three and were fine.

Yes. I couldn't stand how there are tracking shots of the environment every time battle starts. It's wasting my time, and frankly, I prefer to look at tracking shots of the games with better graphics (the PS3 generation games and even the PS2).
FF9 must be the only game which I dread to level up (which is why I prefer to catch frogs, so low level Quina can deal 9999 damage)

I didn't find it that slow at all. The ATB gauge did fill up, but it wasnt that bad at all. Granted. battles did go a little slow, but once you got Haste, they seemed to just come and go. I do wish it was faster, though, as I used to be scared of certain boss moves that seemed to never come until I wasn't ready.

I suppose the battle speed was quite slow, but I didn't find it unbearably so. What was more annoying was that it took noticeably longer for a battle to actually start in the first place. If you time how long it takes from when the screen starts swirling to when you're inputting the first command, it's quite a bit longer than any other FF, I think. First the screen goes black for a while and then the camera pans over the enemies several times, then the gauges start filling... When I first played it I actually wondered whether it was the fact I was playing it on a PS2 - but I tried it on PS1 and it was the same.

I didn't actually notice how slow it was until I was fighting Kuja, but it never bothered me in the game. It did irritate me how long it took for the battle to actually start (although I don't know if that was just my game because it's a bit broken now) and finish.

Lol, this seems a recurring topic about the game. It is pretty sluggish. It gets better as your characters level or you equip the right goods and your characters become faster. In such instances, it can actually go rather fast. But in general, it's pretty slow.

Very slow when compared to FFVII or FFVIII.
Hard to get used to in the beginning i complained a lot, but when you get into to the game you don't even notice, although i still complain when changing games xP.

I noticed the slowness of it.

I am really impatient and I found myself tapping my feet impatiently and such. >.<

I just want them to hurry the eff up so I can get to where I need to go to next. XD

It's like waiting at a red light in traffic for me. >.<

Final Fantasy 9 is my favorite FF. But yeah it is pretty slow, later in the game it wont be much of a problem. But i can understand how it might be frustrating in the begining. And NEVER equip auto potion on all of your characters !!!

The transition seems kind of slow but, over-all, Final Fantasy IX is the one of the best among the never-ending franchise built on character depth and emotional storyline.

It is slow but I didn't realise that......I don't know maybe when they are executing their attacks they do it fast.....But compared to FFVIII,when they execute their attacks its even slower......In fact the slowest in the series.

I'm not sure about this but but in the menu it could have an option to speed the battle up,but if it doesn't I'm probably getting it confused with FFIX....However I didn't find battles here as long as FFVIII battles.....The FFIX battle gauge is probably the slowest in the entire series........But in terms of execution, the slowest would have to be FFVIII (especially the summons).

I noticed that it was quite slow compared to some other FFs :hmmm: Like, even though IV and VI were on older systems, I felt like the battles went much faster because you weren't waiting on so much animation to happen. And while it's pretty and epic when you're doing a boss battle to see all that animation, when you're grinding it's a flippin' nightmare :jtc: In particular when trying to level up Freya's Dragon Crest (I think that's the one), and running around trying just to get into a dragon battle was a 50/50 chance where I was, and then waiting for the huge panorama thing every time the battle starts, when it might not even be the dragon that you needed...:ffs:

Back