Idea for story?

Lightning15

Gil
Hi, My name is Alicia and I really love final fantasy. So me and my friends decided that we want to make a movie or game using 3d software. But I need some story ideas, and I want the story to be similar to the final fantasy series but not so close that it is copying anything. But I'm sad to say that I've got nothing for a story. So does anybody have any new ideas for a story?

Suggestion:

Read some ancient mythology. Most games nowadays are loosely based on elements taken from these myths (take FFXII for example). Try not to fall under the same hero-stereotype (no Cloud, no Zack please). Decide on a general theme then subdivide it into the subjects you want to touch in your game (betrayal, politics, economy, war are a few...). Love stories are a cliche, so try not to make your game revolve around one so much.

[Moved to FF Miscellaneous]

Well I think a couple main questions are whens this story going take place?
Do you want it more Sci-fi or Mid-evil time?
You need a little of back story, ususally in most of the Final Fantasy's there was a war before the game started (not all of them but a good chunk of 'em).
Obviously if you want it FF related your going need a little love story in there, hahaha.
Another question, is are going bring crystals into the mix or not?
Is everyone going have a "job-class"?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I find it easier helping people by asking questions rather than just saying do this and this and this lol.

But yeah Dean has good points there :D

As Dean himself suggested you may want to tie mythology into it as part of the story. It can derive from how they use their magic and abilities or if religion is going to be a major factor, who they follow and believe in. Such mythology could be Greek/Egyptian or if to be easy one thats commonly more used is the Zodiac. Such examples can be found in FF tactics and Person 3, or some of the Shin megami tensai in general. Also take into consideration the amount of characters you want to use, try a balanced amount around 7 maybe. That way you dont have so many people you ignore character development within the story. Also on the same note don't focus on certain key ones, give everyone their attention.

Another issue is gonna be the music, are you and your friends gonna make your own soundtrack, or hire someone to put it together for you. Thats all that I can think of for now.

Thanks for the reply's, and for DarkPaladin's questions here are a few answers: The story will take place in a time with future technology. I think I want it to be more sci-fi. Yes, I want a little love story, and crystals might be interesting. So ya maybe. Ya almost everyone will have a Job. There might be some rebels trying to go against the government.

And for SoulCorrupter's questions:Yes we want there to be mythology, maybe a god of some sort. Yes, 7 characters are a good number, so I'll use that. And music, we haven't thought of that yet. So maybe we will hire a group.

Thank you for your help. We appreciate it very much.

Instead of the crystal theme if you wanna steer away from whats been used a lot now mostly. Since you want to use mythology you can have your characters learn abilities/magic through their god.

Well if your having "classes" I wouldnt have them all have Magic.

Also, If your making one main villian, I'd try to steer clear of Kefka's or Sephiroth's, There great villians, but there sometimes annoying and hard to really put into a story that wouldn't make people question a lot of things lol.

Since it's in a fantastical sci-fi setting, it should focus on the characters more than anything, because that's what the audience latch on to. 7 characters is a little too much, I don't think there will be enough time for proper development. I suggest you narrow it down to 4, that way there's a greater focus and opportunity for more depth.

IN traditional FF story telling, and really any heroic tale in the history of ever, it's easier to write a Hero/villain story, but here are a few ideas:

1) Make the villain(ness) a sympathetic character and their motive a recognizable human one.

2) Make the Hero(ine) selfish to a degree but have them fight their temptation, it makes for good drama and and an overall interesting character arc.

3) Never hesitate to kill/maim one of the main characters if it means enhancing the plot. The hero(ine) is rational enough to not pledge vengeance, but you can display a subtle expression of resentment and vendetta.

4) You can have some relationship betweeen the Antagonist and protagonist, but try something that's not too conventional. Like say, the antagonist is the son, and the protagonist is the mother/father. Plenty of opportunity for good drama there.

Now, for some story-line ideas:

Have the main characters consist of special type of fighters, yes this follows the super soldier trope, or sympathizers/family/friends. An incident occurred where one of said super soldiers was "takes control of" by someone or something and it assassinated the nation's most important figurehead. So there's been an order initiated to hunt down the super soldiers who didn't turn themselves in, since it's been proven by the incident that they can be weaponized against the wielder and can be very unpredictable. Have the antagonist hunt them down and unveil a great conspiracy.

Do with that what you will.

Last edited:
That storyline is really good. Thank you so much, I will see if I can come up with the story and details.

Want to make your Final Fantasy story making easier? Then just use the formula for most Final Fantasy stories.

1. Take a rebel group of young teenagers and have them fight against the dominate power of the world you've created(i.e. Kingdom, government, etc). Just about all Final Fantasy's follow this basic premise. It will be a good starting point.

2. Determine the level of a love story. Are you going to make it casual and slightly off topic or are you going to make it the basis of the story? Make sure it's not both. I must be one or the other.

3. Make a good villain. A hero is only as good as the villain he or she is fighting. Make sure you villain is as epic as possible. This will make your hero appear and seem even more badass if the antagonist is as memorable.

Hopefully this helps.

First, you should know a thing or two about narratives before starting a project like this. Wikipedia is a good source for this. There's also Joseph Campbell's Monomyth, which, while not completely obligatory, is an interesting read and might help you refine some aspects of your story.

In the end, it all comes down to the characters. Are they interesting? Do we care what happens to them?

Back