I don't like Yuna. (spoilers)

Demon

Don't ruin my cuin
Veteran
Gil
Spoilers.

I'm generally pretty neutral to the subject of Yuna, but I'm not really a big Yuna fan because...

X explains early on that Yuna has tough problems to deal with. This can probably explain her sometimes quiet personality. But she just doesn't act like a character. Her whole personality is just kind of having a cliche tomboy thing going on.

Later on when Yuna puts herself in danger to try to set Seymour up, it simply shows that she's devious, not that she's strong-willed. She would put herself and her party in danger to fulfill a goal, simply because she overestimates herself as being beyond the whole "princess that needs saved" cliche even though she usually fits the mold.

Another problem is that while Yuna is religious, she never really reacts much to the idea of the party and herself destroying religious figure after religious figure. While she does express care for her party at one point when they face Seymour, she still simply exhibits the traits of a queen who is only concerned for herself (she needs her subjects so they can serve her).

The game advances into a nice but quiet lovestory between Tidus and Yuna. Then at the end of the game, Tidus forfeits his life for Yuna – even though you can say that he didn't risk his life because he never existed and was pretty much dead already, he still risked his life – that's part of the nature of the likable "it did happen, yet it didn't" of X's story.

Then in X-2... Yuna mentions Tidus and acts like she misses him, but when speaking of him, she is never really acting like she loves him. She acts as if he never saved her life or was just a hallucination.

Last edited:
She tried to set Seymour up? you mean the marriage? She did that because he promised he wouldnt hurt her friends..(he lied though) and because Seymour was highly praised by a lot of Spira Citizens/beings etc...

She is not selfish...at all... she takes this hard road/pilmagrige in honor of her father Lord Braska and to bring peace to all Spira.

She knew about the sacrifice for the Final Aeon, yet she continued to move forward, to reach her goal.

Tidus kinda got in the way of that because she fell in love with him...She did not want to get too attached to him because she knew what the road ahead would be like...plus she had a shy personality of her own.

About she appreciating Tidus's sacrifice..I dont know...maybe she had this guttfeeling that Tidus was still somewhere...could explain the whistle thing at FFx-2...
And offcourse that Sphere with the resemblence of Tidus..Shuyin?

Also her personality changed because of many reasons what happend after FFx and prior to FFx-2...

Czen you got that completely wrong Son:ffs:

Yuna never acted out slef desire or self importance in any of those circustances, The "setting up" of symour ? She recognised what a threat H e was to Spira and chose to,if need be sacrifice herself to eliminate the threat.

Yuna may have believed in Yevon but once she found out the truth about its lies and deception she had no problem doing what she had to do to save Spira from continued oppression, only an idiot continues t believe in there religion was it has been shown to false and unnecessary.

Yuna destroying Religious figures? Like Mika or Seymour? you mean? di you not see what they allowed to happen to Spira, the untld deathof 1000.s of people by sin? while they remained safe in there city of Bevelle?

Are you saying that if your Religion allowed this...............oh yeah thats right:elmo:

Yuna loved Tidus all the way through FFX-2 and is the reason why she joined the Gullwings in the first place, because Rikku found a sphere with a guy that looked like Tidus, Yuna left here home in search of the Guy and more clues as to his where abouts.

Yuna never acted out of selfishness and she sure as hell never exhibited any like that of a queen or spoiled princess:rage: If thats how you interpret the events of FFX, something very wrong with you.

At least you had the good sense not to say " I hate Yuna" shows some semblance of good thinking.

I actually have to agree about the X-2 part. I played both games religiously and they're my second favs, next to VII... but if I hadn't played X and was just introduced to X-2, I wouldn't know that she really loved Tidus.

Although he whole game is essentially centered around finding Tidus again, there aren't very many moments that show/talk about it. She has her confrontations with Shuyin, she has her moment at Macalania, but other than that I was actually very disappointed in the lack of emotion and reactions to his disappearance, from Yuna.

Until the very very end when confronting Shuyin where there's more talk of the past... Yuna wasn't very emotive about the loss of her lover. It didn't make me feel for her as much as I wanted to.

During most parts of the game up until Bevelle she is willing to kill herself to destroy sin (for a few months) so that does explain she is strong-willed and she is not the pricess that needs to be saved. She risked her life to save the party by marrying Seymour and even though she does destroy religous figures there not really the "good guys" in the game.

You could have a point in X-2.........I mean in X she does show she cares but in X-2 she goes in a girly mode and doesn't really stress the importance of finding Tidus.

Really man can't believe you don't like her in X.......If you was talking about her in X-2 then yeah I hated a bit there too but in X, I don't see her as an unlikable figure.

I don't agree with czen at all.But he's entitled to his/her opinion.
I do feel that Yuna sacrificed a lot for the people of Spira in FFX.She did what she did to protect the people and honor the sacrifice her father and others had made.
So she's entirely sympathetic in my view.
As for X-2, she had been around the two other girls for a while now and I feel sure they influenced her to be more independent.Paine especially.
I feel the promo video of events before FFX-2, which you can watch on youtube sets things up quite nicely.

I like FFX.I like FFX-2 although I would have done it somewhat differently in certain areas if I had been the writer/producer of it.
shrugs.

Yuna selfish? Huh? Yuna caring for herself?

I have to disagree with you, though as ANGRYWOLF said, you have your opinions and I will not try to do anything to change your opinions. I do however, want to express why I feel she isn't any of those things :P

If she were selfish or only cared for herself, why in heavens did she easily decide to sacrifice herself for the safety of the people of Spira? For her friends?

Then in X-2... Yuna mentions Tidus and acts like she misses him, but when speaking of him, she is never really acting like she loves him. She acts as if he never saved her life or was just a hallucination.

All I saw was her grief and her sadness, and her love for Tidus. A sphere of Tidus (Shuyin) gave her the impression he was alive. Her whole journey through X-2 was to seek him out because she loved him.

Of course she wouldn't be a mindless zombie roaming around muttering his name, she still had some sort of life ya know :P

Yuna selfish? Huh? Yuna caring for herself?

I have to disagree with you, though as ANGRYWOLF said, you have your opinions and I will not try to do anything to change your opinions. I do however, want to express why I feel she isn't any of those things :P

If she were selfish or only cared for herself, why in heavens did she easily decide to sacrifice herself for the safety of the people of Spira? For her friends?

All I saw was her grief and her sadness, and her love for Tidus. A sphere of Tidus (Shuyin) gave her the impression he was alive. Her whole journey through X-2 was to seek him out because she loved him.

Of course she wouldn't be a mindless zombie roaming around muttering his name, she still had some sort of life ya know :P

Also, to add to that, She also got handed the task of destroying Shuyin and Vegnagun. Bit hard to run around the country-side looking for clues about the man she loves when all the military/religous figures push "saving the planet once again" onto you.

And also, she may have not had a big chance to find clues, but in quite a few chapters you see strong references about Tidus and Yuna, and their memories together.

Also, to add to that, She also got handed the task of destroying Shuyin and Vegnagun. Bit hard to run around the country-side looking for clues about the man she loves when all the military/religous figures push "saving the planet once again" onto you.

And also, she may have not had a big chance to find clues, but in quite a few chapters you see strong references about Tidus and Yuna, and their memories together.

I gotta disagree with you and Terra on X-2 she wasn't always focused on Tidus and she gave that girly attitude among people..........I'm not saying she was selfish,she was more girly and did things like sing on the journey which is completly unnecessary. She never did forget about Tidus of course but never really stressed the importance.

I don't understand her in X-2

Her Journey was about Tidus xD How can it not be focused on him when X-2 souly exists for Yuna because she is searching for him?

And as Masamune II said, everyone pushed being the hero on her once again and she didn't have time to find Tidus when the life of the planet she lives on was in danger. Why would she find him only to have the chance of losing him again to another threat?

As someone who has played X and X-2 a million times plus have sisters who have played and mastered the game a million times, I only saw her depth of pain and love for Tidus through the whole game and the crushing sadness when she found out it was Shuyin and not Tidus in that Sphere.

Oh you mean it didn't focus "on" on Tidus. Well yea, it wasn't focused on "Tidus" it was focused on Yuna's love for Tidus and the journey she made to find Tidus.

Just because you didn't see him until the secret ending didn't mean the journey and game wasn't about her and Tidus and her pain and love for him.

Her Journey was about Tidus xD How can it not be focused on him when X-2 souly exists for Yuna because she is searching for him?

And as Masamune II said, everyone pushed being the hero on her once again and she didn't have time to find Tidus when the life of the planet she lives on was in danger. Why would she find him only to have the chance of losing him again to another threat?

As someone who has played X and X-2 a million times plus have sisters who have played and mastered the game a million times, I only saw her depth of pain and love for Tidus through the whole game and the crushing sadness when she found out it was Shuyin and not Tidus in that Sphere.

Oh you mean it didn't focus "on" on Tidus. Well yea, it wasn't focused on "Tidus" it was focused on Yuna's love for Tidus and the journey she made to find Tidus.

Just because you didn't see him until the secret ending didn't mean the journey and game wasn't about her and Tidus and her pain and love for him.

Yeah that is the main plot of the game + Vegnegun........but you wouldn't really rely on Yuna in X-2 to go out and save the world......If she had the same attitude as she did in X than it would be a more serious game. But when you look at other characters in the FF series when they've lost someone they love,they don't go all cheery and flamboyant. And even on her journey to save the world and find Tidus she did so many unnecessary like which don't even need to be in the game.

People don't have to be the walking dead after they lose someone, you know. Its not always like that, and it doesn't mean she cares less.

Maybe she's put on a fake attitude for others. Maybe she's all cheery and whatnot to hide how she really feels. :(

I suppose in some way, I can see how you interpreted Yuna in the negative light that you did...but in a lot of ways, I can't.

IMHO: I don't think Yuna overestimated herself as being beyond the "princess needing saving." First of all, she never has the persona of a princess...in fact, she tends to get quiet and reserved when receiving attention from strangers. She remarks to Tidus at one point that she simply sees being her father's daughter as an honor. I don't think she believes that she is some sort of royalty; it's that she believes in what he accomplished and is setting out to do the same for the good of the world. Secondly, she obviously knows that aside from aeons, she lacks in the fighting department...she knows she needs some from of "saving," otherwise she wouldn't have bothered with Guardians, would she?

She also does indeed react to discovering that the religion she has been whole-heartedly, unquestioningly following her entire life, the religion that essentially caused her father's death, is corrupt. After the trial in Bevelle, when the party has a moment to breathe, she is incredibly lost. Several party members even mention that they don't know what she's going to decide to do. Yevon betrayed her, this is mentioned several times, and she does not take it lightly.

Finally, I think others pretty much expressed the same opinion I have about X-2. And anyways, it's a different game...it's more of a fun, semi-sequel sort of game that has to stand on its own even though it's a continuation. I don't think Square was going to just focus on the previous game...not when they have a new story to propel along.

Anywho, I am curious to know if anyone else agrees with the OP's opinion of Yuna. It is an interesting one, as I've never really heard Yuna described in such a light. I think a lot of us are pretty emotionally attached to the character and her trials, so it doesn't seem plausible that she's just a selfish princess.

I've always respected Yuna as one of the strongest main characters that's an introvert in gaming. She's quietly natured but not afraid to stand up for her own believes. Like how when Donna dismisses her for having too many Guardians, she softly remarks how she does not deem that week and that it is a joy and honour to have such company. Or another time when Tidus keeps claiming that this is his story Yuna challenges that arrogance and notes how they're all involved in this journey.

As for X-2... This game completely broke the character for me. The precise scene being when she expresses the word 'POOPIE'. Not that alone but when Rikku then complains about it she then claims to simply be copying Rikku. All the respect I had for Yuna being this strong willed character died - They of course destroyed her introverted nature from the get go with X-2.

I've always respected Yuna as one of the strongest main characters that's an introvert in gaming. She's quietly natured but not afraid to stand up for her own believes. Like how when Donna dismisses her for having too many Guardians, she softly remarks how she does not deem that week and that it is a joy and honour to have such company. Or another time when Tidus keeps claiming that this is his story Yuna challenges that arrogance and notes how they're all involved in this journey.

As for X-2... This game completely broke the character for me. The precise scene being when she expresses the word 'POOPIE'. Not that alone but when Rikku then complains about it she then claims to simply be copying Rikku. All the respect I had for Yuna being this strong willed character died - They of course destroyed her introverted nature from the get go with X-2.
Yeah, we can all agree that Dona is pure trash.:humph:🖕 And funnily enough, I'm actually an introvert myself, lol. 😅

This.

She’s got a sort of quiet, understated strength to her in the original game. I do concede that she put up with way too much than we would have liked her to have put up with, but this was really a problem with the society in which she lived rather than her own fault. Yuna was essentially a cow bred for slaughter, only that she was conscious of her eventual fate, but there was a sort of servile resignation behind it too, I guess. Yuna thought she was behaving in the best interests of Spira. She cared about the people of Spira and wanted to give them a break from Sin, even if that meant perpetuating the cycle of lies.

In the end, however, she decided to fight against the system and break the rules of Yevon when another option became possible. Tidus helped her make this decision.

But in FFX-2 she’s a completely different character. It could be that she is in mourning over Tidus and is acting out in order to live through her grief, basing some of her behaviour on her carefree cousin, Rikku. It could also be that she was finally free of the shackles of Yevon and threw away her demureness and wanted to try and spread her wings and experience the world in a completely different way. In reality, Square Enix probably just really wanted to have those cheesy Charlie’s Angels style girl-power poses, and an excuse to throw in a few pop songs. :D
The entire game is, tonally speaking, a massive departure from the original game.

Last edited:
My question is, why do people find anything redeeming in a character that is naive, gullible, arrogant, potato-faced, non-charismatic, unrelatable, and has an irritating voice? Why do people happen to like a character that wallows in almost the same kind of cesspool that Lightning from XIII wallows in? Why do people appreciate a character who never had a proper childhood, and thus spent the first 17 years of her life letting organized religion-driven herd mentalities dictate her way of thinking, followed with three years of that thinking being dictated by her equally irritating lover Tidus? I honestly don't know and will probably never know..... :hmmm:

Last edited:
Back