FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

I hateit....games were always strategic but the the problem was it wasnt active. There was no real customization. The entire game was an acid trip could not get into the world at all. All style no substance. Over use of reports and no interactivity with other characters.

I loved it, so much. FFXIII was a great game. It's just that, because the FF's are each very unique from each other, I feel like fans that loved one FF look forward to the next one, hoping for it to be similar, but it's different in so many aspects that it's very offputting. So we get a lot of people saying "Worst FF Ever" and I think that may be one of the downfalls for naming each of the games Final Fantasy _ because the game has pressure to satisfy all the wildly varying fans of the FF games before it, and its uniqueness won't be taken well. And FFXIII sure was unique, with the battle system and linearity.

"Love" is a strong word with this title. I'll say I "like" it, though.

My main, largest complaint is the linearity. Boy, did it get on my nerves. I was pretty excited to explore Gran Pulse, though. I think it would've been great to explore it in its entirety. That would've been epic.

The story was meh. I enjoyed the l'Cie/fal'Cie concept, but the story revolving around them gave me a bit of a headache. (Still better than XIII-2's plot, though.) On a positive note: the visuals and most of the OST.

XIII is hated because tried to focus only on story, and maybe the story is good but i want the plot tobe explained during the game not read, and the battle system was just added because well is a game, even Heavy Rain had gameplay and is heavy story focused too. The point is FFXIII tried a lot of things that wasnt meant to be in the genre, if it had another name it wouldnt be a problem (Turn Vs in only XIII) and in other genre but that is what you get when you want to sell something using the brand name in this case the FF name. However the characters dont have salvation even if you take the game as a game with only the FF name on it, they were just Terrible (Except Zasch and Fang).

Idunno how i feel :hmmm: It was so straight... like an arrow. So straight, it felt like a never-ending hallway. >.> I strongly hated that. I disliked the slowness of the game as far as it starting and I feel like the whole relationship with Snow and Hope was a tad too much. I didn't really get attached to the characters or the story. The graphics were amazing, no doubt but honestly, that's not all that should be in a game. Because of it's narrow ways, I feel like it lost the WOW factor that most FF's had, along with mini-games and such. This game had a huge potential to be big, but I was very sad with the game. It felt almost too easy with the auto-battle which I hated with a burning passion. The battling system was alright, but ehhh. I felt like the was no real customization to the game. I felt trapped and there was no wiggle room whatsoever! The save points were annoying too -___-

I hate it with a passion, and I don't understand anyone who claims they like it. I would love to watch those people playing the game, pressing auto-battle over and over again, and figure out how they are enjoying themselves.

Okay...so I replayed this game. Thought I'd give it a second try. I didn't manage to complete it, I got as far as rescuing Vanille, chapter 8 I think.

*Sigh* I don't quite know how to say what I think about it, how to explain it in words. I tried so hard to like it this time but in the end it all seemed very dull. I hated everything in the game the first time I played it, so this time I was focusing soley on the story and characters because I knew if I could find interest and enjoyment in that then the rest wouldn't matter. When it comes to any game really I enjoy the story first and foremost and the gameplay can't take away from it. I tried to make the game diverse though, so that I could ignore the things I didn't like. For example I refused to use auto battle, I refused to use certain characters for certain roles (leaving Lightning as a comando only because I didn't want her for a ravanger or a synergist) even though that sometimes left me stuck at certain points and with masses of extra CP, I tried to block out the fact that the game only goes in one direction and has no diversity and the weapons system that's hugely limited by basically just pretending it was something it wasn't. I pretty much succeeded as well, I wasn't really bothered by anything because there's a lot of story in there so I just looked at those parts primarily.

I just couldn't get into the story though, I wanted to like the characters, I tried to care about what was happening to them, I have no idea what Square did with this game to make it's characters so bland and un-relatable. I mean, there's so many cut scenes and the characters have stories of their own, they're all different, but none of them do anything to make me actually care at all about them. I just don't get it really, I wanted to like this game, I tried to like this game, did pretty much all I could do to make me like this game but once I'd numbed my hatred of every aspect apart from the story...well the story was boring so the whole game just felt like...bleh. I don't understand it - I liked XII's story and characters more and that was plain as hell, yet I managed to feel for them and relate to their feelings and their troubles. It makes no sense, I can't even explain where they went wrong as far as the story is concerned, I just know that they did because when it comes to story it doesn't take much for me to connect to characters and get into a story. As for everything else...well I've said it all before, I hate everything else in the game apart from the chracters and story which I just find boring and can't find any love for :sad3: what can I say? I gave it another shot...I tried.

Last edited:
I loved it, so much. FFXIII was a great game. It's just that, because the FF's are each very unique from each other, I feel like fans that loved one FF look forward to the next one, hoping for it to be similar, but it's different in so many aspects that it's very offputting. So we get a lot of people saying "Worst FF Ever" and I think that may be one of the downfalls for naming each of the games Final Fantasy _ because the game has pressure to satisfy all the wildly varying fans of the FF games before it, and its uniqueness won't be taken well. And FFXIII sure was unique, with the battle system and linearity.
Not exactly. Compared to all others. Yes every final fantasy is unique when it comes to story. But mechanics and gameplay are what only evolve. Amd this looks like it didnt evolve. It only tried to make it easier.

There are varying fans out there but most of them are consistent.

Opinions are opinions are opinions are opinions.

Mod edit: Draklor
Hey, I would appreciate if you elaborate further on this, as it's looking quite spammy. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather pointless and spamlike post. Regardless, i can forgive XIII for trying to be different however the problem wasnt being different. It was just lacking. That and the world was too abstract for anyone to absorb. When you play previous final fantasies you get to explore and understand the world as if you were practically living it making the gamemuch easier to forgive but...it doesnt leave any room at all.

I dont blame any XIII fan who never played final fantasy. Its like kingdom hearts

loved final fantasy XIII, still am loving it to date. Was hooked (like any other Final Fantasy to me) straight from the word go until i finished it 100% just like all the FF's ive played and loved which is all of them. To me just knowing it's a Final Fantasy game and it is from my favourite company Square Enix ensures that i'm going to have myself an oustanding experience.

I absolutely loved, I mean yeh it had its Ups & Downs, but doesnt every game! I loved it mainly because of the story line and the scenery together they made up for a fantastic game that I will never forget!

I've discussed this game back and forth and I think I've come to terms with why I didn't like it very much. I guess I would call it avarage.

Okay, so the linearity didn't really bother me. Was it too linear? Oh hell yeah, sure. But I've always been a fan of a focused storyline and this way they managed to make it so, which is why I personally can forgive it for that. I do note however that it is a flaw.

The characters and storyline is where this game loses me. The characters were bland and very focused only on the "task at hand". By that I mean most of the conversations was about "Saving Serah/Cocoon" or what their next destination would be. The earlier part of the game had some character moments, mainly with Hope and Snow, but they fell pretty flat. This is the same problem I had with FFXII. The idea for the core story isn't bad in my opinion, but they don't really do anything with it. It doesn't go anywhere. The villain is the worst in Final Fantasy yet to me. So vague reasons, so uncharismatic and so very very unpersonal. Every line out of his mouth is existential crap that makes you sleepy and is impossible to relate to.

I also had some small gameplay issues. The paradigm system was fine, but the way you unlocked attributes and skills was pretty lackluster. It was in reality almost as linear as the game itself, but it gave illusion of choice. Another small thing that bothered me was the fact that if the character you controlled died, it was game over even though you might have two perfectly fine characters standing around looking at air.

The part I enjoyed the most was grinding for post-game stuff though since I felt that was the only time I really got to use to Paradigm changes to their full potential.

I love it!
Lightning was awesome! (Finally! A badass Final Fantasy Female! Now that's really rare!) But, they had some characters that I just felt like punching: Vanille and Hope (Hope for only the 1st half of the game where he couldn't stop blaming people for things that weren't there faults)
Though, the story was fairly confusing, I still liked it and enjoyed it.

There are many things I dislike about Final Fantasy XIII, and few things I actually do like. I like Sahz and Lightning, but each of the other characters get on my nerves. I thought the whole party changing in-battle was cool but they could have added a lot more to it. From the first fight to the final boss it was just switching all the time, occasionally using items for much needed situations. Final Fantasy XIII had a GREAT idea and setting for the game, but the game play itself was just unsatisfactory. I couldn't take the time to read all of the bio about the history and aspects of the games world- however if it had been Final Fantasy IX or VI, I would've been plundering the game for such information. Maybe its just the simplicity of the earlier games that drags me into it, this one just didn't do much for me.

Hate it. Despise it. It has made me lose alot of faith in the direction Square Enix are taking the franchise. Atleast with XII it felt like you could do your own thing and customise characters in a way that you wanted wheras with XIII I didn't get this at all.

The weapon customisation seemed pretty basic and the battle system was boring and really made me feel like I wasn't controlling them at all.

It is far too linear. I got to the bit where you can supposedly go off and do your own thing and do all these sidequests and I had just had enough. I didn't care at all for the characters. The only storyline I remotely cared about was the Sazh and his kid one.

I can't remember a music track that stood out or even a moment of gameplay which is extremely odd for a FF title. I can listen to most of the OSTs from start to finish.

The gameplay concepts are just a bit odd to me. They either take too long to actually explain what is going on or just don't explain it well enough to keep me enthralled. Fal'cie and C'ieth and L'cie or whatever. Eurgh, it's just horrible. I think this has put me off playing any of the sequels or spinoffs which could be amazing for all I know.

Although nothing special I felt I could play through FF12 once or twice and had me actually quite invested in the story from the offset; I really wanted to know what happened to these characters and see how the characters developed alongside some nice gameplay mechanics and a broad world.

FFXIII seems like FF-Lite. It's technically a FF but it seems very rushed. Yeah sure, the cutscenes are nice and the graphics are good but I feel like they're focusing on the wrong areas. Very, very, very disappointed.

It was a good game, but not in the style of FF I enjoy. It lacked much humour and charm, but it was a fun game. Just not a fun Final Fantasy game.

Neither, I liked the characters (Sazh, Lightning, Fang especially), the story and the battle system. Disliked not being able to revisit areas and no sidequests really aside from the cieth stone missions.

Definitely love this one. It was original in its own right, and who doesn't love Sazh anyway? It's the original mythos that appeals to me.

Don't care much for XIII-2, and I have low expectations regarding the third and final game.

I really disliked it. Thought it was an all round bad RPG. Honestly there was nothing really to enjoy at all except maybe the story. I have said it time and time again, FFXIII should have been a movie.

Back