FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

Before getting influenced by online discussions, I was already disappointed by FFXIII =( But I tried to convince myself that it is still a great game cause I always believed that the FF Series would always be great. Talk abt naivety!!! Ok so I know that FFXIII really was a disappointment after reading many negative comments 0.0 But I still like Lightning! =)

My review

Final fantasy feel 0/10
Linearity blows They should've made it free ranged from the beginning not just at
pulse
The characters didn't really connect much until near the end

Music 6.5/10
The music was great at some points but not so good at other parts!

Gameplay 5.5/10
Its fine at the first 25 hours but quite boring gets a lot better at
pulse
though. But I'm giving it a 5.5 for improving towards the end

Graphics 10/10
The graphics were absolutely amazing and I loved the design of the characters it was breath taking. The design of lightning was fantastic I loved it so much...

Rating 6.4/10: Good

Honestly i think lightning's design couldve been better...games too linear....developers even admitting they aimed for something outside of RPG. Graphics were amazing but even thenn this game lacked style. Even ff7 that was mixed with several different styles had a great world every1 can understand.

Game got boring quick. It wasnt moving anywwhere. No expansion. No way to customize your commands. All it was paradigm shifting and 1/3 ATB

Honestly i think lightning's design couldve been better...games too linear....developers even admitting they aimed for something outside of RPG. Graphics were amazing but even thenn this game lacked style. Even ff7 that was mixed with several different styles had a great world every1 can understand.

Game got boring quick. It wasnt moving anywwhere. No expansion. No way to customize your commands. All it was paradigm shifting and 1/3 ATB

i like to call it paradigm Shit.

they aimed for a interactive movie, and Lightning fails to reach the awesomeness of Cloud.

i like to call it paradigm Shit.

they aimed for a interactive movie, and Lightning fails to reach the awesomeness of Cloud.

Lol good one. If only her design was more cooler and her character was less cliche. I mean acting like a heartless jerk just so she can maintain her sister? It was so overdone.

well now, I had assumed I'd be in the minority here clicking 'Love it', but poll results tell a different story, for which I am glad! :yay:

Several of you already know that I definitely am not among the FFXIII haters. Interestingly, while it wasn't the first FF game I played, it actually is responsible for getting me into the series. I'd never really payed much attention to any game in the RPG genre until I saw FFXIII demoed at E3 (what was it, 2007?) and when it managed to draw me in with the pretty visuals and interesting characters, I started trying out the older games, and well, the rest is history. It always seemed a bit like the other games were just trying to live up to matching what I saw of XIII though, so of course when I got the chance to try the game (and then watch the rest on Youtube because I don't have a PS3...yet :P ) it was without doubt the highlight of my FF experiences.

So yes, I love XIII. Objectively speaking, it may not be the 'best' of the series, but for whatever reason, it clicks with me and clicks good.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting. The only downside was the lack of life for the creatures. They were all mechanicalized and I feel that Monsters should exist in a final fantasy game, not just robots ):

Despite that, I feel as though this was actually a solid game. I really liked the battle system, the graphics were beautiful, and the weapons were mostly creative. Didn't ever get to finish the game though because my brother's dog chewed my controller up ):

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting. The only downside was the lack of life for the creatures. They were all mechanicalized and I feel that Monsters should exist in a final fantasy game, not just robots ):

Despite that, I feel as though this was actually a solid game. I really liked the battle system, the graphics were beautiful, and the weapons were mostly creative. Didn't ever get to finish the game though because my brother's dog chewed my controller up ):

That dog saved your life, lol.

I havent finished it too i couldnt withstand too much after getting Fang, but her eye candiness didnt managed to keep atracting me to the game.

well now, I had assumed I'd be in the minority here clicking 'Love it', but poll results tell a different story, for which I am glad! :yay:

Several of you already know that I definitely am not among the FFXIII haters. Interestingly, while it wasn't the first FF game I played, it actually is responsible for getting me into the series. I'd never really payed much attention to any game in the RPG genre until I saw FFXIII demoed at E3 (what was it, 2007?) and when it managed to draw me in with the pretty visuals and interesting characters, I started trying out the older games, and well, the rest is history. It always seemed a bit like the other games were just trying to live up to matching what I saw of XIII though, so of course when I got the chance to try the game (and then watch the rest on Youtube because I don't have a PS3...yet :P ) it was without doubt the highlight of my FF experiences.

So yes, I love XIII. Objectively speaking, it may not be the 'best' of the series, but for whatever reason, it clicks with me and clicks good.

your just retrospect bias. Ff13 literally tried not to be an RPG. It was trying to be a whole new genre. Either way. It sucked for me. I dont get drawn in by pretty graphics (dont get me wrong, i love satisfying graphics) but the characters were only interesting cuz we knew very little and as time progressed they were incredibly easy to read.

Lightning is cliche as heck though. Nothing about her is signature to her. She isnt iconic. The world of Final Fantasy XIII was just an acid trip that no one comprehend (i said this before).

None tried to live up to 13 because each one focused on something else, unless you are referring to graphics. If 13 is the one that got you in, i will say that RPG in general is not what your looking for.

None tried to live up to 13 because each one focused on something else, unless you are referring to graphics. If 13 is the one that got you in, i will say that RPG in general is not what your looking for.

I know that technically no other FF game attempted to live up to XIII, that's just how it felt to me. All the other games are too old to match XIII's beautiful environments and special effects. And what I meant, and didn't do a good job elaborating on, is that XIII was responsible for drawing me in, but I got into true-er RPG's as a result. I'm not exactly an RPG gamer by nature, but I definitely acquired the taste. For that to happen though, I needed a happy medium between pretty graphics and very involved gameplay, which XIII provided :)

I know that technically no other FF game attempted to live up to XIII, that's just how it felt to me. All the other games are too old to match XIII's beautiful environments and special effects. And what I meant, and didn't do a good job elaborating on, is that XIII was responsible for drawing me in, but I got into true-er RPG's as a result. I'm not exactly an RPG gamer by nature, but I definitely acquired the taste. For that to happen though, I needed a happy medium between pretty graphics and very involved gameplay, which XIII provided :)

xiii provided only pretty graphics. And involved gameplay? Which was? you only controlled one character while only controlling the others job class. Most of it waas AI controlled. And the atb was lacking compared to the other. The only two buttons yo need are x button and r. It didnt matter what attack you did compared to the other ff because any attack would do. Only time you did was eidolon. No distinct strategies for certain enemies no distinct tactic. All there was is a universal system and if you followed accordingly, you will beat it. And auto battle. Which was ridiculous.

The worlds lterally were hallways. Point A to point B "literally". no room for exploration. They werent even done in a labyrinth like way. You only had to walk straight. I dont think youve adquired the full taste of what an RPG is. Because ff13 tried so hard to take away what others had

ff13 is like the world of avatar but worst because even though everything lit up in the jungle, avatar still manages to stay consistent in design. Ff13 got u into rpgs by not being an rpg. It definitely doesnt top the previous games because at least the rest WERE rpgs.

xiii provided only pretty graphics. And involved gameplay? Which was? you only controlled one character while only controlling the others job class. Most of it waas AI controlled. And the atb was lacking compared to the other. The only two buttons yo need are x button and r. It didnt matter what attack you did compared to the other ff because any attack would do. Only time you did was eidolon. No distinct strategies for certain enemies no distinct tactic. All there was is a universal system and if you followed accordingly, you will beat it. And auto battle. Which was ridiculous.

The worlds lterally were hallways. Point A to point B "literally". no room for exploration. They werent even done in a labyrinth like way. You only had to walk straight. I dont think youve adquired the full taste of what an RPG is. Because ff13 tried so hard to take away what others had

ff13 is like the world of avatar but worst because even though everything lit up in the jungle, avatar still manages to stay consistent in design. Ff13 got u into rpgs by not being an rpg. It definitely doesnt top the previous games because at least the rest WERE rpgs.

There for a while I pretty much was an FPS gamer exclusively, man! I whiled away the hours on extremely loose stories (can they even be called stories?) that all involved the player being practically invincible and only required him to walk through a predefined path gunning down enemies as he went. About as deep as the system went was holding a maximum of two weapons and occasionally finding a shield powerup.

To someone used to games like that, Paradigms, HP and MP and EXP, a full inventory of items, and an entire cast of unique characters with distinct roles is almost overwhelming. BUT, XIII made it simple enough for me to get a basic grasp on and attractive enough for me to take the time to do it, and from there I was able to take these basics and apply them to even deeper systems that suddenly weren't so overwhelming because I already understood a decent amount about how they worked right from the get-go and I picked up the rest easily.

Just because I didn't grow up on RPG's like a lot of people here did doesn't mean I can't appreciate a real RPG/understand what one is. I do. My different gaming background, however, enables me to appreciate a wider range of games than only the deepest and most involved out there. That's all. I don't think XIII is the best FF ever made, I just like the game for what it is.

And just in general, I'm pretty easy to please with games/movies. Call it willful suspension of disbelief; I can intentionally get really into stuff that others find poorly done, and while I can agree with them on their reasons why it's poorly done, I don't let that stop me from enjoying it :)

Didnt stop you from saying something that could easily put you on hot water. Ff13 had only xp, there was practically nothing. And yes certain ff in the past are overwhelming such as final fantasy 3, 5 and maybe 6 but the rest after were easy going.

Try to say something less loaded such as the rest were only catching upto xiii and it is the best (which you did). If your easy to please then you can enjoy the others just as much and even more. Paradigm was really only for xiii.

If you know your bias, then mention why. Or else prepared to be treated like someone who knows what theyre talking about.

If you know your bias, then mention why. Or else prepared to be treated like someone who knows what theyre talking about.

Ahem.

LukeLC said:
Interestingly, while it wasn't the first FF game I played, it actually is responsible for getting me into the series. I'd never really payed much attention to any game in the RPG genre until I saw FFXIII demoed at E3 (what was it, 2007?) and when it managed to draw me in with the pretty visuals and interesting characters, I started trying out the older games, and well, the rest is history. It always seemed a bit like the other games were just trying to live up to matching what I saw of XIII though, so of course when I got the chance to try the game (and then watch the rest on Youtube because I don't have a PS3...yet :P ) it was without doubt the highlight of my FF experiences.

( ^ note the bold parts ^ )

Without making a wall of text, I actually did try to fit all that in my original post. I am not, however, opposed to clarifying my position to anyone who is interested, as we just did :)

Ahem.

( ^ note the bold parts ^ )

Without making a wall of text, I actually did try to fit all that in my original post. I am not, however, opposed to clarifying my position to anyone who is interested, as we just did :)
Please do twilight/star wars episode 1/ resident evil 5 fan.

Do it everytime you know a comment might come back at you.

Please be reminded that the purpose of this thread is to describe whether you love or hate FFXIII. It is not a place for 'you shouldn't have such negative/positive opinion on XIII because blah blah blah.' Thanks ;)

Please be reminded that the purpose of this thread is to describe whether you love or hate FFXIII. It is not a place for 'you shouldn't have such negative/positive opinion on XIII because blah blah blah.' Thanks ;)

Not to backsass or anything but defeats the purpose of the one sentence = spam rule. Though really its where you stand. Heavily debatable comments most likely will become a unnecessary debate unless we know where they stand. Just happens to be new introduced mechanics and graphics for 13

Not to backsass or anything but defeats the purpose of the one sentence = spam rule. Though really its where you stand. Heavily debatable comments most likely will become a unnecessary debate unless we know where they stand. Just happens to be new introduced mechanics and graphics for 13

That is why I wrote 'describewhy someone love or hate FFXIII'. A description can often be as long as a review/essay. This has got nothing to do with the one-sentence = spam rule. What I am trying to say is, this thread is no place to debate. You can create a whole new thread for that, or simply use PMs.

I'm in between love and hate. I don't hate the game (it's Final Fantasy!), but it is not one of my top picks either.

I enjoyed the new gameplay and the paradigm shifting during combat. It offered some customization in an otherwise pretty straight forward game. I also enjoyed the difficulty of my first playthrough: learning how to create a proper deck, my reaction times with shifting, and what abilities/skills shined above the rest.

I didn't enjoy the tunnel feeling I got from the game. I also wasn't a fan of constantly sitting in the menu and reading the datalog entries for story components and background info. It chopped the game up sorta.

Overall, I've completed two playthroughs (one for story, second for achievements). I probably won't need another one for a long time.

Overall, love it. I love the story, characters, locations as well as the system encompassing combat.

Starting with the story, it starts off slow and you wonder who are these people you play as during the first chapter, but if you hold out, the story starts to progress, you get a good idea of what's going on and it all starts to piece together towards the end. For some people, I can understand it doesn't work out and they don't hold out for it but for me, it was something I didn't mind and once I realized how much I loved the story of XIII I knew it was worth it. Looking at Characters, at first, they all seem random, but, as mentioned, as you progress through the story you get some back story on them and it all slowly starts to make sense. In terms of personalities, there's a mixture within the group and that's something I like. I didn't find any of them to be dull and boring, maybe Lightning at the start but you soon start to see a show of compassion towards others from her. The locations in XIII are ones in which I found to be very vibrant (Hanging Edge, Sunleth Waterscape) and vivid in colour. They appear to be very well-designed and I found it easy to become lost in amazement by the surroundings, especially in Palumpolum.

I love the role of Paradigms in the game and having to form a strategic system for fights and thought it worked well with the ATB Battle System, keeping battles flowing well. I didn't think much of the Crystarium System, a unique way of leveling up just like the Sphere Grid System, except more linear; and on the talk of linearity I was a bit disappointed with the game's linearity and the fact it only starts to "open up" towards the end but overall, it's something I could put up with and with how amazed I was with the story, it's definitely a game I love. ^_^

Back