FFXII General Discussion

:lew: good to see this game has not gained popularity.

I have played this game sparingly and intensely and neither approach was very interesting, things game just doesnt have the legs to keep the fans interested, people are gonna play this game but most of the comments are negative.

People say negative things about FFVII but it has good points to counter the crap parts, but FFXII does not have that luxury. It will go down as possibly the worst FF venture of the entire series.

I hope FFXIII is better ;)

...it is very clear that you haven't played Final Fantasy XIII, saying that.

FFXII was brilliant. The only bad points, as far as I am concerned, are Vaan and Penelo. The battle system is far better than anything that precedes or succeeds it, the Gambits system eliminates the problem of poor AI in real-time combat that plagues more games than I care to think about, the music is amazing, and for once, just once, a shitty half-arsed love plot isn't the focus of things. Ivalice is a fantastically detailed world; far more detailed than any other FF world. It delivers more story in one game than the entire FFVII compilation does.

I think its a shame more people don't appreciate this game.

:lew: good to see this game has not gained popularity.
On the contrary, FFXII is quite popular. Like FFVII, it has a fairly even split between hatedom and fandom (or maybe the haters are more vocal).

Had SE put Reddas and Larsa into the main party, and given Vaan/Penelo a more relevant part (or taken them out), then the game would have been THE Final Fantasy icon (in my humble opinion). Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

...it is very clear that you haven't played Final Fantasy XIII, saying that.

FFXII was brilliant. The only bad points, as far as I am concerned, are Vaan and Penelo. The battle system is far better than anything that precedes or succeeds it, the Gambits system eliminates the problem of poor AI in real-time combat that plagues more games than I care to think about, the music is amazing, and for once, just once, a shitty half-arsed love plot isn't the focus of things. Ivalice is a fantastically detailed world; far more detailed than any other FF world. It delivers more story in one game than the entire FFVII compilation does.

I think its a shame more people don't appreciate this game.

I agree with you. This is one of my favorite FF games. I loved the sense of exploration on this one. I really hope Square releases this and other PS2 games on the PS3 with Trophies.:P

While I didn't adore FFXII when it first came out, it very much had the Final Fantasy feel to it, which as far as I'm concerned, was completely absent in FFXIII. I went years without playing FFXII (never got much further than about 20 hours in), and as I'm crossing off the various FF games from my to-do list, I realise I'm going to have to conquer her eventually. Anyways, FFXIII's release maybe put things into perspective, that FFXII should be cherished for what it is.

It took me a while to grow affectionate towards this game. As a matter of fact, I started to appreciate FFXII more after I ventured into Final Fantasy Tactics. (What with the recent PSP re-releases.) And I've always been a big fan of Vagrant Story, which also takes place in Ivalice.

It seems like Vaan and Penelo are the underdogs in this game. I think what gives them less credibility is the fact that every other central protagonist has a much greater purpose in the big picture. Any other character could have been called the 'MAIN' character and the critics might have been more receptive of such.

What makes this game so amazing is the absolute NON-linearity of it. As much as people are complaining about FFXIII not having towns, sidequests, and NPCs, I think everyone in this category should revisit FFXII because it really does offer everything that's being nagged about.
There are so many good challenges and sidequests in this game that have absolutely nada to do with the plot. It allows you to venture off and take a break from the plot whenever you do so please.

On the contrary, FFXII is quite popular. Like FFVII, it has a fairly even split between hatedom and fandom (or maybe the haters are more vocal).

Had SE put Reddas and Larsa into the main party, and given Vaan/Penelo a more relevant part (or taken them out), then the game would have been THE Final Fantasy icon (in my humble opinion). Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Along with those added features I also think that the character development and the story could've been more in detail. I was left with alot of questions or confusion as to how and why. =/. It would have been nice to see more character reaction between one another.

Has anyone tried the Zodiac version of the game yet? I just started playing this version and its so much different. The controls and the battle system. The biggest change is the LB, which is now a circle of the Zodiac signs where you pick a class and cannot change it. It seems a lot harder than the first game, so I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on what I should make Vaan.

I want to make him a Knight, but if the Zodiac spear is still in the game and is the strongest, maybe the Ulhan (?) but if I pick that, I'll have to wait until I get spears >.>

Any advice?

I haven't played it, but how are the controls and battle system different? I haven't actually seen anything on the Zodiac version.

They changed button commands, changes how it looks, how the menu acts and looks a bit, in battle menu, equipment and monsters. You can speed up the battles by pressing L1, which I guess could be really useful for some people. For me, it hurt my head to watch so I don't use it. I haven't gotten far into this version yet, but if there is this much change now I'm sure there is more. I will share when I get further into the game :P

You can search up some videos on youtube though :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=final+fantasy+12+International+zodiac+job&aq=f

Doesn't look too different, but the speeding up battles would be really nice :O Except for when you're poisoned or something :P I like the Zodiac License board. Gives you more options and by the looks of it, a job system like some of the older FF's. Unlike the original where everyone can use pretty much everything. How much did it cost? I might look into this... :hmmm:

I really liked the storyline and all the side quests
They are truly awesome.

I'm really missing this game right now. I want to restart it, but I actually never even finished my first play through. I'm just.... I don't know. I think I miss the time when I played this game more than the game itself. Go out and have fun during a summer day, then come home at night and play FFXII. Good times. Nonetheless, I should probably finish this game XD

Final Fantasy XII for Switch& Xbox One gets new Features & Trailer

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is nearing its release on the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One on April 30th, and Square Enix decided to share a nice new gameplay trailer while also detailing some choice new features the remaster is going to have. Check out the trailer!

The remaster of Square Enix original 2006 Final Fantasy XII was released on the PlayStation 4 two years ago. A year later it was released for PC and soon players will get to play this game on their Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Waiting two years is a rough deal for gamers on any system, but Square Enix didn’t just sit on their chairs and waited. Instead, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One owners will be able to enjoy a few new gameplay changes and features. They are the following:

In addition to all the features in the previously released FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE, new features for SWITCH and XBOX ONE versions:
  • License (job) reset function – Enjoy your adventure by customizing the jobs of your party as you desire, to match whatever situation you are in. Simply visit Montblac, the leader of Clan Centurio in the city of Rabanastre, and freely change your job. Enjoy your adventure by customizing the jobs of your party as you desire, to match whatever situation you are in.
  • Gambit sets now increased to 3 sets from 1
  • Improved New Game +, Now you can carry over items that were obtained inprevious play-through.
  • 60 FPS Capability (ONLY AVAILABLE ON XBOX ONE VERSION)
As you might notice at the end, owners of Microsoft’s premium console, the Xbox One X will be able to experience FFXII: The Zodiac Age in glorious 60 FPS. A luxury only available on PC until now. Whether this means that the previous PlayStation 4 version will also receive patches including these upgrades is not known.

Back