Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Bambi Branford
FFXIV Server
Lamia
For all your general game banter!

What did you like / not like about this game? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw the game out of the window? Tell us all about them here!

This was the first RPG I sat there and let collect dust over time. Its odd and I think its a quirk in me to be honest, but I believe this game dropped the ball when it came to the intricate stories that made you think.

I loved I mean loved the new break away from the norm with this game as far as the battle/combat system went. I liked the gambit system, till I learned you could get away with murder as long as you used the right gambits. I wanted to play this game on end for hours, for I love change when it comes to Final Fantasy but where was the "umph" in the story.

Everyone praised Balthier Fraan and Ashe. My true feelings for them? Not enough back story to know who Balthier and Fraan were. I mean as a typical guy I was like.. wow.. a lady half clothed in a bunny suit at first, but seriously, behind that I still wanted quite a bit of a background story. She just never struck me as a involved character. Ashe was great for the most part, but when is FF going to break away from the whole "kingdom" theme and try non traditional things with a risk.

I hated the license board.. Hated it! It made people non unique - even if some could hit harder/had higher magic attack/evasion than others.. it just gave way to much customization. I'm so OCD when it comes to games (besides tactics and Disgaea) I need people set in stone with their weapons for the most part. I mean you could do anything with "anyone" as long as you had the right licenses, which made some characters really left out in the end. I stopped playing with Penelo for the most part. I like uniqueness in different characters.. is what I'm getting at.

The summons/espers - Total Waste of time. That's all I have to say.

Rating - 7.0/10

Last edited:
I enjoyed the quickenings and loved the graphics... everything else I either was apathetic towards or hated.

There was little to no character development and no emotional involvment within the story. It felt like reading an academic history book with no connection to a character or emotion for any of the events. There was nothing to really latch onto in this game, no reason to involve yourself emotionally. I never cared about anything that was happening within the game.

The thing I liked about the game was the Quickenings- I thought that they were cool even though I didn't understand them at first...but I really disliked the fact that you had to physically go and find fiends if you wanted to train up- I like the old style where you couldn't see them and it could be totally unexpected what you would get and where. Once you got used to an area you knew exactly what monsters would be where, and although you could use it to your advantage, it wasn't to my taste to be honest

I liked the new battle system as it felt like a transition into more action-like future FF titles- which is good because I like a bit more action. The Gambit system wasn't very good though. I still like having control of my characters' every moves. The system worked terribly against the Mandragoras and when you didn't want to kill certain creatures.

VAAN!!!!! I hated him. I saw him and thought: "Damn! Even Penelo seems more manly than he is!" he appears to have some sort of significence at first (breaking into palace), but then becomes a background character who only watches what is going on after Ashe joins the party. Vaan even says it himself: "I'm just coming along for the ride!"
What is his existence for? Hardly any character development, just an ugly face.

I liked Balthier and Basch. Penelo was just a moving effigy in my opinion with no real importance apart from being captured by Ba'Gamnan. Ashe was rude: "Don't interrupt me Vaan!" Rude for a princess isn't she? I don't like her design either- her hair looks like it's quickly becoming white and what was with that CGI image showing her looking like she's picking her nose?

I liked the cities- but not the overly long areas such as Pharos, Tchita Uplands, Necrohol of Nabudis etc.

Espers were mostly awful. I must admit even Ultima disappointed me. Quickenings were a chore to watch after the millionth time.

The License Board was too small. It needed more augments.

The change in styles from romantic tales to political affairs in story was refreshing- and I liked the dialogue as well as the Judges, but I think many gave up trying to get what the hell is happening in certain parts of the story. I must admit, even I was confused as to what Venat's objectives were.

I felt that the weapons were a bit tainted in this game. I mean there was a huge assortment of weapons you could use for each character, but instead of trying out a really cool bow and arrow for Fran, I would find out which power weapon caused the most damage and equip her with that instead.

I would always optimize all my characters with the most powerful weapon in terms of Attack Power instead of trying to form my character around a certain job class. I guess it's a minor complain I have about FFXII, but since I loved the game overall, I can overlook it in the big picture.

The game felt different overall - and that was a good thing. But with the new approach came some things I could tell had never been tried before, like the Gambits and Quickenings.

And while Gambits, once you got used to them, turned out pretty intelligent and a new tactical approach, the Quickenings were terrible.
They made the game too easy, to the point where I only used them in 3 battles. Honestly, I killed Ba'Gamnan with nothing but Quickenings, and I was severely underlevelled at the time. Chaining them made the power creep too sudden and often overkill, to where it actually took away the excitement of most challenges.
Espers were flawed - nigh-useless from a certain point onwards except for soaking up damage and dealing a bit themselves. The animations were cute at best, and having outrageous conditions to pull off the final attacks of the stronger Espers didn't help, in my opinion. I resorted to them about as much as Quickenings, for completely different reasons.

I've stuck everyone to their original classes so far and I think I'm one of the only people on the site that hasn't even completed it. Don't get me wrong, I like to take things at a time, but with it being out for over two years ...

Anyway, I've only recently starting playing it again since I've pretty much not got much to do over summer, with the exception of a holiday in two weeks and my part-time job at the weekends. I've got Reddas in my team at the moment and am having a nice good ol' hunt. xD

i think that the auto battle is good cause when u fight the ultimate battle yiazmat it took me almost 5 hours to beat him

The battle system was my major gripe. It was cool to use at the beginning but eventually, I just ended up walking through the dungeon doing nothing! The gambits would sort all the players out so the game was basically playing itself :S
I found Vaan completely pointless. Weird design and he easily could have not been in the game. The storyline wouldn't have suffered!

I'm playing at the moment. LOVE it. My second play through. I want the Zodiac Spear this time.

The game is pretty awesome. I really enjoy the mmorpg style game play, and how open the world is to exploration. Playing through again, cus i have nothing better to do.
Still, a wonderful game.

I just hit 180 hours on my original save file, I love just running around. I still have three Espers and a couple of hunts left.

Just to give information about the game, FFXII is the 6th game that received 40/40 by Famitsu Magazine.

I am not mistaken, this game holds the record for the longest development of the game that took 6 years.

The idea of this game came from the Medieval time in Europe.

I love the graphics for this game. They were brilliant. One problem tho was that it got boring for me. Half of the reason was I couldn't follow the plot line I was just like "Dawn shard oh wait what another shard!!! NETHECITE D:!!!" and I CAN"T UNDERSTAND YOU >:c" and then " Where that blade come from? >_>" It was just really boring me then after a few months of not playing I dunno for some reason I started to enjoy it alot more. I'm trying to max everything out and get all summons and such during 2nd playthrough. Also doin it at low level. Fun Fun Fun <3

Ive kinda left my perfect (ish) file gathering dust, I have lose ends I need to tie up and I just cba, I need to collect the last few sky pirate medals, which i just CANT do because I need someone to do the concurrences for me, and I resent that, because its the only time Ive needed someone to help me, I normally persevere til i do it myself BUT I JUST CAN'T DO IT

I think there's just too much to do in this game, if it was online it'd be perfect ¬¬

Ive enjoyed my 2nd play through MUCH more than my first though, although i still think the story is abit shit...but then if the stupid areas you had to trek through weren't that HUGE i probably wouldn't forget what was goin gon in the story ¬¬

I greatly enjoy playing this game. I very much hate watching this game being played.

Explaination:
The game is fun to play and NOT fun to watch. Why? It's all about the battle system. The storyline is rather bland and the character development has much to be expected. Never-the-less, the game is definitely a great game to play. I recall watching my Husband play FFXII the first time I saw this game played and I was not only bored but also confused. From an outside point-of-view, the battle system looks incredibly difficult and the story would just put me to sleep. But alas, from a player-side view, the game is quite simple to grasp once you understand Gambits and the story gets involved enough to keep ya interested. I really do enjoy this game though, despite my rambling. It's one of my top 3 favorites. :D

FFXII in General for Everyone

This is a "thread on FFXII but im not going to do it. You post Anything you want and others will comment, just list your concerns, your likes / dislikes, your sujestions, and anything you want to.... know yourself out by posting anything you want to do with FFXII !~!~!~!~!~!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Everyone has a Good side, a Bad side, And a side that they don't want anyone to see. This is who you are, stop impersonating and be yourself because people with love you for who you are, not for a mask of ego."

Last edited:
FF12 is the best game ever made i really liked the battle system and also how they made the gambit system made this final fantasy feel a little bit more personal the characters were really good i loved grabranth and the judges what i found really the most hard was the hell wyrm he owned me easily but i messed up on that one now i've started over again and i'am sure and i've got hope that i can beat him

Great game ever FF12 is some people like it while some people don't like cuz it's similiar to a little bit of STAR WARS critizicism but overall it still has that great moving motion picture of a Great FINAL FANTASY Game all incluaded

my favourite part of the game was the quickenings, they were amazing, and also the clan centurio sidequest was a fun one to complete. the graphics were fine although not quite as good as i was expecting which was a shame, and as far as storylines go for the final fantasy series, i was quite disappointed. i really liked the judges, and thought that the game could have involved them a lot more. but overall i was fairly satisfied with it so i would probably give it an 8/10. although i feel this rating is a little harsh, but i dont think it deserves a 9

Back