Excalibur II - REALLY!?

nope the finish time is something off stupid that you need and I personally think it impossible cuz u wouldn't even be able to read and understand the story :(

nope the finish time is something off stupid that you need and I personally think it impossible cuz u wouldn't even be able to read and understand the story :(

Well obviously then you don't do it your first time around :wacky:

I've never done it, nor plan to. But I've looked at guides and videos for it. Each area has a time, and you can't lollygag around (like I tend to do). Each second is precious, and you have to have many, many saves. Skipping the cutscenes to save a good 30 seconds, etc.

I can't help but take forever when I play any game, even if I tried rushing through Id forget and leave the game idle, or Id get distracted trying to steal something, or il get sucked in by chocographing... there;s just too much distraction, Id never get Excallibur II ever even if I tried my hardest

More to the point, Ive just never seen the point, the whole story has just been rushed through to get to that point

How many times can a person say point in one sentence :rage:

Just like Lulu's lightning dodging in FFX, I'll never get this one. No matter how many replays.

That can be justified though, it doesnt take anything away from the storyline, it just makes you suicidal

You know..this is the only thing in FFIX that I have never done? Because really? who wants to try and get to a certain point on disk 3 in what 12 hours is it? Yeah...not happening, I enjoy doing other stuff and side quest...besides that with all the CGI Cut scenes (yes they do count towards your time) you probably waste 4-7 hours right their.

You know..this is the only thing in FFIX that I have never done? Because really? who wants to try and get to a certain point on disk 3 in what 12 hours is it? Yeah...not happening, I enjoy doing other stuff and side quest...besides that with all the CGI Cut scenes (yes they do count towards your time) you probably waste 4-7 hours right their.

It's disc 4. There's about 7-8 CGI cutscenes that last for a minute or two at most. And you can skip those to save time...

Jeez, everyone here acts like they'd play the game every time to read the story. You can always play it again afterwards if you're that miffed about it. It's just a challenge, and all of the sidequests can be done whenever anyways :|

This is the only ultimate weapon I never got in IX. I find that the whole time limit to getting this is stupid. I hate to miss out on the whole game just to get this for only a few times to use it.

This is only meant for those who are true completionists, and/or have played the game a few times before and want a speed challenge.

But for me personally, I've played the game twice, and I'm still not interested in getting this. I'd rather just get the regular Excalibur and Ragnarok.

Not at all, because I know I'd get more frustrated spending countless hours dying because of low levels that I'd end up calling it quits and hating the game for it.

If I play through FFIX again I'll def take my time again and enjoy the story line, guess I'm not extreme enough to give this one a wirl quite yet!

I think it's a pretty good challenge, tests your speed strategy and low-level finesse. You can always do your levelling and side-quests after acquiring the weapon, so that you can defeat the final boss and/or the superbosses.

Excalibur II 'perfect game' (as in not missing any non missable items etc) is possible for the American and Japanese releases, moreso the Japanese one as the text skip is far faster due to the use of symbols opposed to letters.

A perfect game for the PAL version (EU) is impossible, but it's still possible to actually get it on the PAL version. This being said (and being a PAL gamer myself) I haven't bothered to get it yet since I'm not much of a Steiner user anyway and it doesn't have much time to become useful when I already have a good party.

I'll probably give it a shot one day, someone has finished this game in 8 and a half hours (with immense luck and segmenting) so 12 seems a bit lenient compared.

The original PS1 console versions have an advantage over the PSN releases as well for two reasons. The first being that if you play it on a PS2 and put the disc speed on fast then your loading times are reduced, also you can use the FMV skip trick.

I have to agree that it does seem rather pointless. Rushing through the game like that is no fun at all. I don't think games like Final Fantasy are ment to be rushed through, and certainly aren't ment for "speed runs"

I've gotten this weapon and despite what everyone else is saying in the thread it was VERY worth all the effort it takes to get one! ^^ It's not so much about the destination, it's the journey, and I can say that doing a low level speed run on a RPG of this length was incredible.

Oh, and the weapon itself is really good, but I only used it in a few battles before I got bored with it haha. ^^ The real fun came from having to get to it. Although it is nice to have something to show for all the effort. n_n

Not worth the waste of game to get the weapon, i guess some people gotta acomplish everything and get it though.

Putting this in the game was such a lousy idea. I once tried to have a go at doing it, but there's just no point. Think about the amount of grinding you wouldn't be able to do in order to get through some of the bosses? I mean, it took me 12 hours to get through the first disk and a bit, let alone to the 3rd disk. Ridonkulous.

This was stupid i guess, come on if at least that weapon get Steiner a new ability it would be worth but since that isnt the case then go to hell to this. I im not too much to challenges i enjoy the game and play it at my own pace and it get me mad that i must have a speed run to the game just to get this. Better spend my time finishing other games that embarking in a worthless quest.

haha it is pointless... im a speed reader and everything so i can go through the story quick and not mis anything but it took me 12 hours to get to the beginning of the 3rd disc and it took me a nother 12 hours to get through the 3rd disc cause i had to grind in order to get through Terra... why the hell would i wanna spend time after time dying just to get a stupid weapon??? it pisses me off to die twice and would piss me off beyond the extreme to die 30-40 times in 5 mins

I think a lot of you are missing the point of getting Excalibur II. You're not playing through the game for the story this time, it's a challenge run. When you do a challenge run you try to go for something, whether it be Excalibur II, using only one character, or like keeping Tifa at level 7 and having her beat up Ruby Weapon in FFVII. You've obviously played the game multiple times at this point (and know how the story plays out for crying out loud), so everyone should stop saying it's stupid when you don't want to challenge yourself. Is going for Excalibur II insane? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not. But you accomplished it, and that's what matters. Then you can brag about it to everyone else and they can feel bad for not doing it.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of getting Excalibur II. You're not playing through the game for the story this time, it's a challenge run. When you do a challenge run you try to go for something, whether it be Excalibur II, using only one character, or like keeping Tifa at level 7 and having her beat up Ruby Weapon in FFVII. You've obviously played the game multiple times at this point (and know how the story plays out for crying out loud), so everyone should stop saying it's stupid when you don't want to challenge yourself. Is going for Excalibur II insane? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not. But you accomplished it, and that's what matters. Then you can brag about it to everyone else and they can feel bad for not doing it.

i would feel bad telling people that i spend so much hours trying to get a joke sword. If im going to challenge myself i prefer to challenge me to finish as much games as possible than bragging "Hey i spend 13 hours not enjoying a game just to get a sword that i dont really need and that maybe i will never remember".

I can understand defeating a hard boss and if E2 helped me defeat Ozma then i would do it but just to bragg no thanks.

Back