~Phantom of the Past~
Veteran
Gil
Squall Leonhart
FFXIV
Kuro Narukami
FFXIV Server
Lamia
We Always talk about Party's and GF's but what is your combat style type and why do you use said type,I've wondered this since alot of people play the game differently and since people have various builds/stratgies Im wondering which ones are the most popular.

I myself do 3 styles for my 3 characters

Squall-Combat Style Physical,I make Squall a Physical type because his Stat's lean more towards gunblade combat,I normally junction High Level magic such as Ultima/Flare to his Str.,and give him a decent defence,and since hes my main damager I give him Full Life/Shell for elemental Def and give him Drain ability for his attacks.

Rinoa-Combat Style Adaptive,Rinoa is my Jack of all Trades she supports as well as puts up a great long distance support she normally give's the party invicibilty due to her Angelo Limit so I tend to keep her in near death status but I make sure her HP/Def is very high,again I use Full-Life/Shell to make sure she's immune to low level fire ice thunder etc.

Selphie-Combat Style Magic/Support,Selphie is my back-up mostly I give her Cerberus and Aura spells alot,she also get magic spell's to do elemental damage to element weak foes,I basicly use low level magic on her stats and only up her magic power,basicly a support unit for Squall and Rinoa

So whats your guy's style?

Throughout the first half of the game, I usually rely on melee attacks and GFs. But once I am in the heart of the game, I usually just cast Aura on my party members and destroy everything with limits. I try to get as much Aura as I can for each member and limit break my way to victory. Especially with Irvine in boss fights. Aura + AP Ammo = Win.

The first half of the game I just stock up and cast magic, use GFs, and focus less meleeing. By the time I got to the second half, I really focused on meleeing and less using GFs. :)

I used GF's pretty frequently in the beginning of the game mostly to raise compatibility. Throughout most of the game though, I stuck to physical attacks and limit breaks. I kept my magic junctioned so I never really bothered using it because then I would just have to draw more.

Physical attacks just seemed quicker and easier than magic/GFs.

I dont tend to set all the magic i have on characters so i have some left to cast. GF's are also a bit fun to use like Brothers. nothing beats the brothers scene. I use melee attacks when im feeling impatient or grinding. It makes things move a little faster.
There is one other thing i like to do though that made the game much more fun for me. I would keep my characters at low health quite often when running around for regular battles. I just like having the higher chance for a limit break.

I've always prefered melee attacks to magic, mostly because I like swords and guns to staffs and maces. But sometimes the game dictates whether you use more magic, melee or support, in this case in the beginnig od the game you resort to magic and gf while at the the end they are usless, except for aura and occasionaly full-life. With all the limit breaks and the simple attack dealig 9999 and more, wasting Ultima is pointless.

I'd say the first 2/3 of the game, I have one if not two characters dedicated to the gathering of magic and items. Squall tends to be the only one set up in any offensive way, and he'll have Str-Bonus on as soon as humanly possible.

The final third of the game, I'll make a second character set up for offense, again probably with Str-Bonus. The third will be the healer and Aura dispenser.

Typically I just play the game aiming to have people fighting and drawing magic. Once I get Siren though I junction Sleep to the status attack and then i can really start boosting my magic supplies. Once I get Carbuncle equipped with it as well, someone else usually has Death on their weapon. And then its just a matter of sleeping one and then killing off the other one and drawing when you need to.

GFs never factor in for me except in 2 places. Using Quezacoatl against X-ATM092 and using Diablos against Tonberries. Doomtrain has soom uses but what you want him for is easily done with a meltdown spell.

You know I rarely use magic in this game :hmmm:

I find myself just using melee attacks a lot. In the beginning I used a lot of cure spells but once I got to junctioning magic to stats and having magic junctioned to status effects when attacking or magic elemental attacks I didn't need much magic at all. I just prefer to melee my opponents to death in this game and summon when I need to...or when I'm bored :P

But yea, it's melee for me through mostly all basic battles.

I will say though in certain boss battles I use a lot more summoning and magic, but I still do a lot of attacking boosted by powerful magic I got from refining cards ^^

I tend to use a bit of all depending on what battle it is. In the start of the game I'd use a lot of melee and draw a lot of magic for the rest of the game. Then later on throughout the game it tends to differ depending on the monsters.

Bosses I would say I use more support, 'cause you've got to have healing ^^ I use Zell all the way through the game where I can though, tend to use Melee on his behalf quite a lot.

I never really used magic until the end of disk 3. I would Junction it and then just have Rinoa Angel wing the best stuff. I wouls stick to attack and battle commands like card and doom etc just cause i could do them as much as i wanted.

Whenever i got a new level of spells i would rejunction and then cast the old level. Like i got fira so i junctioned that and then got rid of all my fire spells in battle.

Gfs very rarely came in for me because i didn't want to fall back on them all the time. I wanted to prove i could play without them and only use them if the situation presented itself.

Squall - attack attack attack

Rinoa - angel wing or heal

quistis - draw and card or attack or heal depends on the enemy

Back