Character Usage

Hayate

Best I Never Had...
Veteran
Gil
Which character did you find you could not do without in your party and which you just could NOT use at all.

Personally as much as I tried I just could not use Penelo and Ashe. They were by far the worst characters for me to play with, I even tried playing with them but something about them just made me not like them. Especially PENELO. Her outfit made me cringe.

I could not use Fran. I tried but I just found her useless in my party so I ended up just leaving her and she became really under-levelled. Pretty much the same thing with...that guy whose name has literally slipped my mind :| the one who is alway with Fran. Not really because he was useless though but just because Basch could do most of what he did anyway

I always used Vaan, Ashe and swapped between Basch and Penelo.

I could not use Fran. I tried but I just found her useless in my party so I ended up just leaving her and she became really under-levelled. Pretty much the same thing with...that guy whose name has literally slipped my mind :| the one who is alway with Fran. Not really because he was useless though but just because Basch could do most of what he did anyway

I always used Vaan, Ashe and swapped between Basch and Penelo.

You actually used Penelo and did not use Balthier and Fran!? I could not have a party without Balthier. It didn't feel complete without the leading Man.

You actually used Penelo and did not use Balthier and Fran!? I could not have a party without Balthier. It didn't feel complete without the leading Man.

Haha a lot of people don't like Penelo but I actually really liked her character, I thought she was sweet. She just didn't really have much of a part in the plot I guess.
I guess I liked that she used guns and for some reason I just ended up growing her more than Balthier (thanks for reminding me of his name haha)

Fran... I couldn't stand her voice or her looks and she did best with bows which I wasn't interested in :hmmm:

I used Fran pretty much all the time, equipping her with an axe. By the end, she was quite a mean machine. ;) I am one of the few people who actually quite liked her character. :lew: Rewatching clips from the game has made me reconsider my opinion of her; I'm not sure I'd use her were I to play the game again. :lew:

I can't remember using Penelo very much at all... I have a feeling I used Ashe, Fran and Basch most of the time. :hmmm: I would bring in Vaan and Balthier occasionally. :ryan:

It's been absolutely years since I completed XII so I can't remember how different the stats were for each character. Couldn't you build them up to succeed in any area you preferred? :hmmm:

I used Fran pretty much all the time, equipping her with an axe. By the end, she was quite a mean machine. ;) I am one of the few people who actually quite liked her character. :lew: Rewatching clips from the game has made me reconsider my opinion of her; I'm not sure I'd use her were I to play the game again. :lew:

I can't remember using Penelo very much at all... I have a feeling I used Ashe, Fran and Basch most of the time. :hmmm: I would bring in Vaan and Balthier occasionally. :ryan:

It's been absolutely years since I completed XII so I can't remember how different the stats were for each character. Couldn't you build them up to succeed in any area you preferred? :hmmm:

Yes, you could. Obviously some started off with better stats in certain areas than others but you could switch it up and train others to learn different abilities.

Oh my god! I could not stand Fran.. She is actually the only character I absolutely hated in that game ( Though she has a nice ass xD). The way she speaks, her stupid bunny face... Her opinions everything she did annoyed me. I didnt use any character besides Ashe, Balthier and Basch but on my next playthrough I might give Vaan or Penelo a chance.

Vaan basch and balthier are the only characters i use, i'm playing XII again and i've basically levelled up like crazy and left Ashe Fran and Penelo behind my main boy's are on about level 60 with the girls on around level 20 i just didn't find them useful especially Penelo

As have I. I started playing XII again as well and currently sit at level 30 with Basch, Balthier and Fran. The other 3 (Penelo, Ashe, and Vaan) are just not useful at all to me. =/. They just look like they suck. lol.

I will not play with a character if they have looks I tend not to like...

Ashe - Healer
Vaan - spellcaster (damage)
Basche - Tank
Vierra chick (can't remember her name) - support caster
Balthier - Summoner
Panelo - Useless and never used

i have listed these things as i found all the characters fairly easy to us, asides panelo of course, couln't stan using her, don't know why, but everyone else was in my party on a rotary system, normal 3 consisted of Basche and Ashe at practically all times, but the third tended to vary depending on where i was and what i was doing.

I never used Fran...she was the worst character in the game and she's the most useless in combat. I used Vaan, Basch and Ashe and the odd time Balthier (Who was mainly my guy I send in if the squad got murdered). I just found the main three I have were the best and most effective throughout the game, plus I liked them as characters....yes I like Vaan haha :P

I tried to use all of them equally, cuz I felt bad leaving one out haha. I noticed though that Fran's attacks were noticeably less damaging than Balthier's, so for bosses I wouldn't really use her. Also Penelo was super weak, but I love her so I had to keep her.

I always train up my party completely equally, switching out whenever someone levelled up. I used Fran and Balthier as my leaders though, I just thought they looked better when I was controlling them

i couldnt play witouth Fran my camera was always aiming at her rear lower part, Penelo and Vaan i could live witouth them.

Bash another must.

I was always using Vaan, Ashe, Basch and then Balthier as my healing all member with items or what not if my entire party got murdered. The others for me were pretty low levels throughout and I hadn't struggled through the game one bit until the end and I just leveled up to deal with that.

I used all of them equally with a level up - swap technique. But I'll say the most useless character to me was Fran. I think she was good with bow & arrows and stuff, but I never used those.

I played through FFXII twice. On my first time, I used only three characters, and on my second time, all of them. When you use all of them, you can take advantage of all the items in the game- having each character boasting all the different weapon and armor types for example.

Usually, I take full control of the primary black mage who doubles as a healer, and have two physical attackers with one of them being a thief and the other doubling as a healer as well. All three in the immediate party are in charge of maintaining a certain augment as well. For example, the warrior will always cast protect on the party as needed.
Pretty simple setup, unless a change is needed for a particular enemy.

On my play through, I used all of the characters all the time. I divided the six of them into two teams that I switched out every time the people on one team became too injured or when one team leveled up. Team 1 was Basch, Vaan, and Fran. Team 2 was Ashe, Penelo, and Balthier. If there was a guest character, then I just let them do their own thing. One team consisted of three roles:

The Tank: I didn't bother trying to give them too many techniques or too much magick. Their only role was to absorb most of the enemy's damage and deal the most in terms of physical attacks. Because their role was so simple I rarely took direct control of them until there was an emergency.

Team 1 Tank: Basch. Equipment: Sword and shield.
Team 2 Tank: Penelo. Equipment: Ax and shield.

Close-range Magick-User: This person was sort of a combination of the Tank and the Long-range Magick-User. They were strong enough to deal decent physical damage, and they had a fair amount of techniques and magick to use. They could use magick to heal and attack when needed. I took manual control over this character mostly when a lot of magick was needed.

Team 1: Vaan. Equipment: Pole.
Team 2: Ashe. Equipment: Greatsword or katana.

Long-Range Magick-User: This character had the most magick learned out of the rest of the team members, and specialized in long-range attacks. It was these character that I normally took control over during battle. I used these characters to do support magick and healing magick when needed or magick attacks and physical attacks.

Team 1: Fran. Equipment: Longbow or crossbow.
Team 2: Balthier. Equipment: Gun or bomb.

I kept it like this throughout most of the game. The only thing is that I would need to spend more time training the characters since I'm trying to level all of them up.

Back