[Birthweek 2017] Moogle Murder Mystery: Sign-up, rules, and discussion thread!

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
This is a pre-Birthweek sign-up thread designed so that we have a greater chance of starting this event on 29th May.

Moogle Murder Mystery

Murder! Murder!

We have ourselves a Mog Doe in the lobby of Moogle Museum.

0FvTkGY.png

The museum is now on lockdown while we wait for the detectives to arrive.

This is where you come in!

Moogle Murder Mystery is a whodunit game where you can create a detective character, explore the museum for clues, and find out what happened to this unfortunate victim, his identity, and why he was murdered.

This game might seem daunting at first, but it is actually very simple and requires a minimum of effort from you. Please expand and follow the following sets of rules to help you in this game.

Designing Your Detective:
Please follow this simple template for designing your detective:

Name:
Appearance: (write a short description or post an image for me to base your character on).

For example, someone might be inclined to post the following:
Name: Inspector Bottlenose
Appearance: I want a kick-ass dolphin detective who is suave, plz!!!!

I will then produce the image of your detective as such:

2ZfXvNE.png

A miniscule version of the image will be placed on the map and will be moved on each turn to the location decided by the player.

For this example the test player has decided to let Inspector Bottlenose investigate Mog Doe’s body:

A1gRKdG.png

IMPORTANT NOTE
: You may take your character creation as seriously or nonsensically as you like, but we cannot allow extreme nudity and sexual content. You may find a limited handful of nudes and suggestive content amongst items in the museum (because this is a parody of a museum, and museums do that sort of thing), but nothing is ‘shown’.

We don’t want the adventures of Penis-head Man piloting his Breasticopter, please. Let’s not get too crazy.

Rules of the Game:
It is suggested that you refer back to these rules if you are ever unsure about the game.

Turns:

You all have one ‘Turn’ per round. A round ends when the game’s host (Dionysos) updates the map and reveals the outcomes of your turns.
Each of your turns can have two parts*.

1) Moving to a location (into any unlocked room up to a particular object).
2) Actions (interacting with an object or talking to an NPC).

Interactions shall be drawn and updated on the map (with larger drawings showing particular moments of note).

*Your move can have three parts if your most recent turn saw you interacting with an object small enough to pick-up or in instances of special interaction. In these instances you will be prompted and asked if you would like to pick up and keep the item or interact with it in a special way (this does not affect the two parts of your turn). Some items will be granted to you automatically.

Moving:
Since you can move to anywhere on the map you can move great distances with one move. You do not need to waste a move interacting with doors. Imagine that most doors are unlocked and you can request to move to a particular item in another room at the other side of the map if you wish.

There are some exceptions. Doors which are darker brown and have a red cross on them are locked. You must find the keys before unlocking them and entering the rooms.

Moves which ‘discover’ a new area such as walking upstairs for the first time will count as exhausting both aspects of your turn. Once the area has been discovered you can move freely between maps.

Interacting with objects:
You can interact with objects to examine them, or you can use an item from your inventory which you have found or picked up.
All detectives start without any abilities. Do not request to use X-ray vision or any special abilities in your moves unless you have picked up an item which enables you to do something.

If you cannot make out what an object is by its miniscule representation on the map then just make reference to it as being ‘the item next to so and so, in so and so a room’. The rooms are all labelled above the room on the map.

Try to be smart with how you deal with objects. When you examine them, think outside of the box with what you can take from them. It might just work!

Non-Player Characters:
You’re not alone in this museum! The police have stopped anyone from leaving the museum. This means that you have a number of potential witnesses to the murder to interrogate!

Treat the NPC characters as you would treat objects, but you may also wish to ask a specific question (one per action) or use an item on an NPC. They might respond to you and tell you something, or they might not. Some NPCs might not be very cooperative unless the conditions are right!

Tip: Although they cannot leave the museum, NPCs have their own motivations and may move about based on their own desires. You might want to keep an eye on them.

Discovering clues and scoring points:
For each clue which you discover you shall be rewarded points. The more important the clue is to solving the murder the more points you will receive.

The winner of the Moogle Murder Mystery shall be the player whose detective has discovered the most important and valuable clues. This is NOT necessarily the same as the player who collects the most amount of clues, but the player whose total value of collected clues is worth more (i.e the murder weapon).

All knowledge is shared in this game, but only the people who find the clues gain points for them. If people remain alert to what other people have been discovering, anyone can follow a trail of clues to find another clue, and so on.

Side-quests:
Lots of things happen in museums! The unidentified Mog Doe is only one mystery left to be solved. Outside of the main storyline there are several side-quests if you wish to pursue them. You will get points for these too and special surprise rewards if you do well.
Clues related to the moogle murder generally score you more points than clues related to side-quests and other mysteries, but all clues will score you some points.

Hazards and Dying:
Museums can be dangerous places when murder is involved…

There are many items in this museum which may harm your character. Some objects might inflict a status effect (requiring an item to fix), some might kill a character within a number of turns if the player does not seek aid, or some might even instantly kill an unfortunate character if the conditions are right.

If you do die, and I expect some of you will, do not worry. Death is not the end. You may purchase the ‘Twin Turtle’ in the MogShop for 500 Gil and create a new character if you wish.

There are also some item-activated chances for revival in limited circumstances (if other players decide to revive you and discover how). If this happens and you end up with two characters in play at the same time then this will be allowed, but only the character with the highest score will be counted when calculating the winner at the end of the event.

Once the game starts anyone can join this game at any time. There is no cut-off point for sign-ups for detectives solving a crime. However, we don’t want to let this become a cold case. The event will end when other Birthweek events have ended. The earlier you join the higher your chances are for solving the crime and getting larger rewards.

Who volunteers? Who do you want to be? Do you work alone, or do you help each other? How you play is entirely up to you.

This thread shall serve as a sign-up and discussion. Please request your detective creations here and leave any questions or comments about the game.

Another thread containing the rounds and map updates shall be created to run parallel to this one when the game begins when Birthweek officially starts (May 29th).

-
@Linnaete Am I right that you wanted Hildibrand Manderville for your character, or did I dream that?

Indeed. My detective shall be the inspector extraordinaire himself.

Chuck Norris, wearing the costume of the main char from P5(the trench coat one) with a small mechanical bird green and yellow(from Gundam Seed) riding on his shoulder, smoking Sherlock Holmes pipe and wearing his hat.

He should be called Dr.Fistbeard

I've done this a bit backwards since I have drafted the two more recent requests before finishing on the first two...

The first two are on their way too!

@Six - Here is Kira Frazer so far.

Let me know if you want anything changed. You said you wanted them to be big. I can make them bigger if they aren't knock-out big enough. I have a slider! :argor:

juQQaeu.png

@Shace is Great - Shaisse the fabulous Paissa is also drafted.

Let me know if there is anything you want to alter on it to make him more fabulous, etc.

p0bsvbD.png

-

I do hope that more than four people join in the end! If you see anyone about who is usually interested in joining this sort of game, give them a buzz.

Lmao, I love it. Perfect size. ;)

Soulcorruptor - Dr. Fistbeard.

This is the closest I could get to your concept but I could do some tweaking if needed!

a6KXJ58.png

Now I just need to finish Livi's Hildibrand and maybe anyone else who joins.

Haha that works great Dan thx.

@Shace is Great

Updated Shaisse:

o1Wl67u.png

@Linnaete - Hildibrand Manderville

eyD1Hp7.png

@Mitsuki - Mitsindy Aurum

WZp3zn4.png

Hope they're big enough for you! They beat Kira Frazer anyway.

If anyone would like anything changed then please let me know!

I shall be posting the first round very soon as we really need to get this going.

Attachments

• o1Wl67u.png
    o1Wl67u.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 225
Oh my god :rofl:

Just to see which version is more crazy could I ask to see Dr.Fistbeard with the P5 Joker mask please?

Omg, Dan why that pose!? >.>

(I wanna hide now...)

There is no hiding from the shame Mits, it shall live with you forever.(forever voice over from The Sandlot ensues)

Dionysos

I would like a tonberry please, with the usual brown smock, eerie lantern and miniature chef's knife. His name is Dirk ♥

Be happy I didn't make you draw Baby Groot. :D

@Dionysos

I would like a tonberry please, with the usual brown smock, eerie lantern and miniature chef's knife. His name is Dirk ♥

Be happy I didn't make you draw Baby Groot. :D

I've not forgotten this. I've had to make the game thread to start it up otherwise we'd never get rolling.

Your character will certainly be created and added in for the next round, and it'll be an excellent detective!

@Galadín - Here is Dirk

8WB1gh5.png

I figured he would suit a moustache (like many great detectives!) and custom knife with his name engraved onto it.

Let me know if you want anything changed! Dirk shall join in the next round.

Dionysos

Mate, ye know the drill!! Drunken Gerry Adams, with matching leprechaun uniform.

If possible, can he also have a badly photoshopped AK-47?

Back