[22/01] Square registers domain and trademark for Final Fantasy Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Square has trademarked something called Final Fantasy Dimensions in the US and Europe. Dug up by a NeoGAF user, the trademark was filed on January 16, and the domain FinalFantasyDimensions.com has been registered as well. Theories on the trademark range from a Vita title in the works from 1st Production Department, to a game already released in Japan but getting a name change in the west.

Source: VG247 | Gematsu

So this is Final Fantasy Versus 2? :trollface:

But my only guess on the name, is that it might be a spinoff of the Dissidia games. Dimensions sounds like its going be dealing with multiple worlds...So just a wild guess if it is going be on the Vita, might be the third Dissidia.

Sounds like it could be another Dissidia type game featuring random characters and all the Final Fantasy worlds mixing together. Perhaps a Kingdom Hearts but without the Disney characters? If that's true, I'm just going to turn 180 and walk away.

If this is something big, then please God let fucking Versus come out BEFORE it. Seriously, its just a joke now.

I mean, if it is a dissidia-related game, then I'd be psyched... But I doubt it.

This will be Final Fantasy Type-0. 1UP confirmed last week it's coming to North America (likely as Vita game), and considering we're not weirdos like the Japanese about blood type, changing the name to something not so stupid, makes a lot of sense. I'm excited.

I suppose it's possible it could be "Bravely Default", because that's an even worse name in English than Type-0.

It's definitely not Dissidia though, that's just stupid. Why would they change the name of a franchise that finally has some weight??

This will be Final Fantasy Type-0. 1UP confirmed last week it's coming to North America (likely as Vita game), and considering we're not weirdos like the Japanese about blood type, changing the name to something not so stupid, makes a lot of sense. I'm excited.

I suppose it's possible it could be "Bravely Default", because that's an even worse name in English than Type-0.

It's definitely not Dissidia though, that's just stupid. Why would they change the name of a franchise that finally has some weight??

That actually is a pretty good theory. I would just prefer if it kept its original name to prevent confusion, though. Final Fantasy Dimensions feels like it could be a major title for something. For example a new project family that could compare to 'Fabula Nova Crystallis'. I would rather them keep Type-0 (or even Agito) over that title.

It won't be anything big, else they'd be putting in some obscure bit of Latin into the title. :rolleyes:

It definitely sounds like one of those smaller-project games you normally get for handhelds, like mobile phones and...the 3DS. "Dimensions" definitely sounds like a 3DS thing.

It could be the name of Bravely for the west, as renaming it a "Final Fantasy" would definitely sell. I don't see how this could be Type-0 though, because this trademark name and the game itself have little in relation.

Either way, don't expect it to be big news.

I really have no idea what this is either. Probably something mobile/social like said above. Only thing I could see it possible being that is announced is that music/rhythm game for the 3DS

Final Fantasy Dimension And More Fortune Street From Square Enix?

By Spencer . January 22, 2012 . 10:07pm
Square Enix may be developing another branch on the ever growing Final Fantasy family tree. The publisher filed a trademark for Final Fantasy Dimensions in Japan for use with video games and related media in Europe. As of now, Square Enix has not announced Final Fantasy Dimensions. They haven’t announced Bravely Default for the West either. Could Final Fantasy Dimensions will be the international name for Bravely Default: Flying Fairy or will this title be used for a new game?

It appears Square Enix has future plans for Fortune Street too. They also filed a trademark for Fortune Street Smart, which kind of sounds like a Fortune Street game for smartphones. I suppose Square Enix could port Itadaki Street Mobile, which has cutesy Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters for iOS and Android.

Meanwhile, Square Enix Europe is also getting in on trademarking too. Sleeping Dogs was registered by Square Enix London. Might be a new Kane & Lynch title since the last game was Kane & Lynch: Dog Days.

Source - http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/2...ion-and-more-fortune-street-from-square-enix/

No idea what fortune street is lmao. Sleeping dogs :hmmm: Kane & Lynch was a decent game, but had many flaws. The mp was pretty epic though.

Ohri-Jin said:
No idea what fortune street is lmao.

Fortune Steet are games that have only really been released in Japan, the best way to describe them is like Monopoly meets Mario Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. (think of it as Mario Party I guess)

But with this news I guess that this "Dimensions" isn't going be phase-0 now that it was trademarked in Japan also.

But The new Kane & Lynch (if its true) would be nice to see. (if they dont screw it up :sad3: )

Last edited:
Even though psp Vita is pretty much a flop in Japan, it will probably have a great role in the gaming industry. I figure they will make a lot of games on the psp Vita & compatible aspects with the ps3.

Perhaps dimensions will indeed be on the Vita.

Im not sure who is going to buy a Vita though. Its as expensive as the ps3.

Last edited:
^ That doesn't really have anything to do with the Final Fantasy Dimensions trademark, so it's probably better to move that to the Roundup thread - or a new thread entirely.

To be honest, like the 3DS the Vita handheld was never going to sell overly well although I certainly expect the latter to sell more units in the long run as the 3DS flopped massively in the west, very quickly too. Having a touch screen is a bit gimmicky, it worked for the DS because its audience is very casual gamers and children, the Vita isn't. Updating the graphics to HD isn't really an incentive either since you could buy a PS3 for cheaper.

I would prefer Square-Enix to stop churning out handheld title after handheld title and actually start focusing on some more serious games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back