[07/06] World of Final Fantasy sees an October worldwide release. There's a new E3 trailer too.

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
screenshots_30esd1.jpg

The oft-forgotten World of Final Fantasy was announced at last year's Sony E3 conference and was cruelly buried by the FFVII Remake announcement juggernaut that swiftly followed. But Square Enix haven't forgotten about this charming chibi-based spinoff title, because we now have an official release date for it. North America is first with the 25th of October. Japan sees it on the 27th, followed by Europe on the 28th. All territories will have both the PS4 and PS Vita releases.

screenshots_344buoo.jpg

screenshots_27aiux2.jpg

What is this game about, I hear you ask? I am glad you asked. In the briefest way I can describe it, your two human characters find their way inside the magical land of Grymoire, which is populated by its cute chibi denizens, from monsters to familiar old Final Fantasy faces alike. Prepare to bump into the likes of chibi Cloud, Quistis, Yuna, Vivi, Lightning and among others as players journey across the land, collecting monsters on the way. The battle system is reminiscent of the more traditional ATB-based battle system of yore, which is the perfect sweetener for more classically minded players who have just got off the Final Fantasy XV action-RPG train.

screenshots_33tqucs.jpg

Tell you what, let's have Square-Enix themselves explain what this game is about:
In World of Final Fantasy, players lead a pair of twins, Reynn and Lann, through the land of Grymoire on a search to rediscover their lost memories. Throughout their adventure, players will collect, raise and battle adorable beings of classic Final Fnatasy lore, including cactuar, chocobo® and behemoth, to create customizable, strategic tower combinations to take on the most challenging of opponents.
screenshots_328iug6.jpg

Should you wish to pre-order the Day One edition of the game, your reward will be the ability Sephiroth to bring forth as a summon in battle. Someone has to slay these fair maidens. They should watch their backs.

Naturally there is also a trailer.

Gematsu and Nova Crystallis

Releasing this right after Final Fantasy XV... not sure if that is the smartest move... I think that so many people will be into FFXV still that they might not want another Final Fantasy yet.... but I could be wrong... I guess sales will tell if this is going be a huge hit or a huge flop... either way, I will probably get it eventually... I say eventually because this definitely is going be a heavy DLC game I am sure, and so I'll probably wait for a nice price drop or wait for the greatest hits or whatever they will call it with a lot of the dlc already with it. :elmo:

Releasing this right after Final Fantasy XV... not sure if that is the smartest move...

I think it's the perfect time for it. Remember, this isn't primarily a PS4 game. This is clearly targeted at Japan and the Vita. It's a tie-in game (Japan loves those) arriving at the time when people will be hyped most over Final Fantasy as a franchise. And now they'll have something to take with them on the go (Japan plays more games on the train than at home) to hold them over between sessions of Final Fantasy XV, or give them a little something extra to keep them invested in the series if they've already cleared XV in a month. That in itself practically guarantees solid sales.

As for releasing in the west on the PS4, well that's just to help offset development costs, as most PS4 ports of Vita games are. Sadly in the west it takes a PS4 port to make releasing a major Vita game viable. People buy it on the platform, but that doesn't change that everything about it was built with a handheld in mind.

I already have this pre-ordered for the vita myself. Seeing this new trailer still has me semi excited for it actually. While the chibi-form can be a slight turn away is still has it's small charm it looks like. One auto win for me was the magiteck armor I saw the main heroine riding around so hell yeah to that. Other then that since it not a main line title and instead a side branch one i'm not expecting a stellar story, but still a decent one, as for combat this stacking concept seems interesting and intriguing. All in all I don't think i'll regret getting this and am looking forward to it for a form of whimsical charm that it looks like it's gonna offer.

I'm quite excited to see Faris on her pirate ship from FFV, and Sabin and Celes (and co) in areas that resemble the FFVI world...

Cloud, Lightning, Squall, etc were predictable. It's nice to see some of the other characters included in this...

Although seeing half of the characters being normal sized and half of the characters turning into chibi-form versions of themselves is quite hilarious. The way they run, sit down, and do anything whilst still trying to take themselves seriously! :argor:

I'm not sure I like Edgar's voice all that much... I wonder who's voicing him?

This game is not only absolutely adorable, but it looks like alot of fun. I'm really excited for it! Is that weird I'm more excited for this game, than being excited for a numerical entry to the series? Or the 12 remaster?

Arya Stark said:
This game is not only absolutely adorable, but it looks like alot of fun. I'm really excited for it! Is that weird I'm more excited for this game, than being excited for a numerical entry to the series? Or the 12 remaster?

This game is seems to be so great!:D So I can absolutely understand you, @Arya Stark, I also love this graphics and those cute chibi forms!C:
I'm glad that I bought a PS Vita, because I can play this game later. I suppose I should play more FF games to be able to have "full fun", right?:D (I mean other numerical FFs, because even if I can recognize Cloud and Lightning, I don't know them or the games they can be originally found.;3; )

Last edited:
Back