wtf is lunatic pandora...??

daywalk3r

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Alright so I'm playing through FF8 for the second time and I still don't understand where Lunatic Pandora comes from. I mean you first see it in the Laguna flashback and you're like 'wtf is that, oh well they'll probably explain it later'... And then it just shows up at Esthar and it's your job to stop it?

FF8 just doesn't make sense sometimes.

I thiiiink, it was made by uh...someone to call monsters from the moon - not entirely sure why. War I suppose. Then Galbadia excavated it from the sea, so they could do the same - their intent to release Adel from her space prison thingy

There are afew things that could have been explained better, although chances are I just missed something

Wasn't the Lunatic Pandora Adel's mobile base of operations? I think that it was either Doctor Odine or Laguna who explained that. It didn't call the monsters from the moon, I don't think - that's apparently a regular occurance in the world of FFVIII. It was only significant to the story because it's what carried Adel back down to the planet.

The lunatic pandora had to travel to tears point, in order to call the monsters from the moon

Wait no, the lunar cry does happen naturally like when the moon is over populated, but the lunatic pandora was created to bring it on it early, or whenever it was wanted

soooo the lunatic pandora was moved to tears point, in order to call monsters from the moon, with the sole intent on releasing Adel

I never knew

youare smarter then me. I thought it had something to do with the time space continuum or whatever its called. For some reason I was thinking it was Ulti's and it appeared every now and then to mess things up.

I'm not sure how I got this though.

The lunatic was created/found by Esthar during the sorceress war (the second dream sequence that leads to Laguna being in Winhill).
It directs the Lunar cry to where ever it is. Adel was planning to give it to Galbadia as a peace offering come Trojan horse, so that Galbadia would be destroyed by the lunar cry. However Adel was overthrown by Laguna and co and so it was sunk in a sea I think.
Ultamecia knew about it because she can control people's minds and used it to bring Adel back to Earth.

fact remains that a lot of people don't understand much about the whole thing. I blame Square. Because they made the game. And so its their fault. FFVII was pretty confusing too.

Let's try to keep posts contributory eh?

Ah okay so... it seems like it was under Esthar's control back in Laguna's time, when Esthar was ruled by the sorceress, and now it's being controlled by Galbadia (well, Seifer actually). I guess i'm just wondering who created it ?

Maybe I should just assume it was created by sorceress magic to summon monsters from the moon...

I have totally forgotten all about that bit, and I'm sure I had no idea what was going on either. I just carried on fighting the monsters in space and just though, hey, there's monsters in space - probably has something to do with the sorceress.

I'm having trouble placing that in the game, is the lunatic pandora bit before or after the big boss fight with adel?

Didn't it have the crystal on board that summoned the Lunar Cry? They created the Lunatic Pandora in order to house said crystal.

And I think! THINK, when you actually think about it, the name gives its purpose away.

Lunatic = Luna/moon
Pandora = Pandora's Box

As Bez said, Adel was going to use it to destroy Esthar. You know that saying, never open Pandora's Box. Lunatic Pandora would bring instant monster destruction upon whoever was foolish enough to activate it.

Tears Point's purpose, I also think (don't hold me to this) was that it increased the power of afforementioned crystal in the Pandora.

Though I could just be pulling all this out of my ass. >.>

That rings bells now actually. I so need to go play this game again, it's on the list when i finally get some time to do it.

The tears point thing sounds logical though - pulled from ass or not!

And I think! THINK, when you actually think about it, the name gives its purpose away.

Lunatic = Luna/moon
Pandora = Pandora's Box

That seems to make sense, it's like a mechanism for summoning the Lunar Cry.

I just wish there was a cutscene showing Lunatic Pandora being brought out of the ocean by Seifer and crew or something... similar to the beginning of FFX when Rikku and Tidus find the Airship underwater.

During the laguna flashback is the first time anyone has found Lunatic Pandora becuase it crashed from the moon and esthar fornd it and constructed the hightecgh facilites inside as a way to control the crystal also remember when laguna is filming that movie and then kick s the dragons arse towards the end of the scene you see a glowing point of in the distance
thats Esthar creating a an atificial luna cry to block of there border with trabia at the begining of there isolation.

lol. Thought that it was some werid floating box that randomly appeared out of the sky, and then got taken over by the army.

And the random box appears every so years and then causes the Luna Cry. Lol so dumb. :P

lol. Thought that it was some werid floating box that randomly appeared out of the sky, and then got taken over by the army.

And the random box appears every so years and then causes the Luna Cry. Lol so dumb. :P

True, but i think it's the reason why there are monsters roaming about the planet. They are come from the moon!

In VII you had mako manipualtions, IX was the mist monsters. X was unsent dead souls. and in VIII its moon beasties! :P

I think others pretty much covered this, but yeah... The Lunatic Pandora is just the name given to the entire facility. The 'Pandora' was actually just the box built around the Crystal Pillar in order to move it wherever one wants. Under Adel's orders, Esthar unearthed the Crystal Pillar from the Centra Crater, where the Lunar Cry had last occurred (I believe) and destroyed the Centra civilization. Once excavated, they built the Pandora around it to be able to move it and cause the Lunar Cry wherever they pleased.

The descriptions are given under 'Tutorial-Information' in the game menu, probably not until Disc 3 when Squall's party encounters these things.

I didnt actually know much about the lunatic pandora....Its been a while since I played 8 all the way through.

Yet after reading through all these posts I have learned a lot about it. I guess I was too young to fully follow the story when I played VIII

And yes the name does give it away kind of. Luna/lunatic (Its the moon, and you would have to be a lunatic to open....) Pandora (The deadly box! muahah).

During the laguna flashback is the first time anyone has found Lunatic Pandora becuase it crashed from the moon and esthar fornd it and constructed the hightecgh facilites inside as a way to control the crystal also remember when laguna is filming that movie and then kick s the dragons arse towards the end of the scene you see a glowing point of in the distance
thats Esthar creating a an atificial luna cry to block of there border with trabia at the begining of there isolation.

:ohoho: I did not know that last part about seeing the construction off into the distance during that flashback!

I don't remember hearing about the Pillar crashing down from the moon, though...or i might have blanked out, all 20 times i completed the game (Wouldn't surprise me if i did.)

Back