Which is better X or 12

Am I alone in thinking that XII is superior to X?

Characters:
Most notable characters of each game:

X - Yuna and Tidus. To me, they were the only characters that actually pushed this story forward, and not because of the romance. I don't feel that the other protagonists had any personality beyond being brooding or annoying.

XII - This game made me appreciate villainy a whole lot more. I loved Cid, Gabranth, and even Vayne. I feel that they had so much more personality than past FF villains. Also, I thought Balthier had the most personality of the XII protagonists. Even though Ashe was a bitch, I felt that was a good thing. There's not bean many bitches in FF.

Voice Acting:
XII > (infinity) > X

Story:
I actually prefer XII's story + setting. I found the world + plot so much more expansive. Spira was just too linear for my tastes. Even the 'plot twists' along the way were a bit predictable. I knew Seymour would end up evil ¬_¬

Soundtrack:
I'll have to give it to X on this one. It had such memorable tracks like The Sending and Otherworld. The music in XII was mostly ambiance ... Suteki Da Ne > Kiss Me Goodbye.

Gameplay:
I preferred XII's battle system and system mechanics. As much as I enjoyed having classes in X, the Sphere Grid was tedious to level. I thought the License Board was so much easier. I could just raep low-level monsters for LP. Admittedly buying Spells and technicks was annoying.

Overall, I feel that XII > X.

EXCUSE ME, BUT DID YOU FORGET THAT I EXISTED? D:

Comment on @ the whole finding/buying spells and stuff - most places had them, I didn't find many that hard to get tbqh. That's just me though - and I didn't even really use a guide as such!

I liked X better, but as far as licenses and sphere grid go...

I. HATE. SPHERE GRID.

Licenses were fun. It kept the feel of Ivalice, and it had a sort of FF1-5 feel of buying new spells and items.

i think 10 was better easily. Better characters, better music, and a funner story line.

I've been playing X today. I think I enjoy X as much as XII, and XII's storyline is a little confusing, but I'll understand it more in the future, of course. :)

I think a lot of people don't like the battle system in XII, but I like it, and therefore I like XII. :D

I prefer XII's battle system over X's anyday! The sphere grid just took too long, and I got tired of having to spend hours leveling up so I could unlock the new sections.

XII took a long time to level up too, but you could level up ALOT as the game progressed. There were so many sidequests that even if you didn't level up during the game, you could later on on the hunts. And, you didn't have to complete the license board in order to beat the game. In X, I would have been dead meat if I didn't spend a lot of time finishing off Yuna's part of the grid, because her spells are what made me ultimately win.

X does win storywise, however. I know some people really like XII's storyline, but I just never could get into it.

Both are great games in the FF series, but overall I choose FFX because its story is more consistent in terms of how good and interesting it was throughout. The characters all had well explained background stories where FFXII somewhat lacked in.

I hated that you needed a license to wear a frigging hat in XII, I was fine when it came to skills etc to an extent but restricting the weapons/armour I can use? Not so much.

X was fine although it might have been better if like XII each character had their own grid so the characters would have had more individuality.

Edit: Thanks to above poster for reminding me, having to buy spells was annoying as Hell.

The whole purpose of the License board in XII was that you could be creative with all your characters.

I did not like X's simply because you knew where it was going. There was nothing special about it....not knowing what would come next on the license board was what was really fun about it.

i have recently been playing through both of these games as i converted to the PS3 and after a long period of thought and focussed playing i have found that i prefer FFXII mainly because it is an all round better game for length and i like the games that take a long time to complete and the fact that Vaine is harder to defeat than Braska's Final Aeon (and yu yevon) and i like a challenging final Boss

The whole purpose of the License board in XII was that you could be creative with all your characters.

I did not like X's simply because you knew where it was going. There was nothing special about it....not knowing what would come next on the license board was what was really fun about it.

You're sorta right I suppose but I felt that every character is pointed to one particular class anyway (Fran as the Black Mage for example).

Anyway I never had too much of a problem with the skills/stats part of it, my main problem was firstly getting licenses for weapons/armour as well as buying for spells which I found personally annoying.

The Sphere System was flawed in some ways in terms of how linear it was and also levelling up and XII was an improvement in some ways but when looking at both games overall then X is still the better of the two.

I'm no big fan of either grid, but everything in X beats XII, except the voiceacting and character design I found nothing very enjoyable with XII. It's the only FF game I never played after I completed it.

X is much better.

the excaggarated grinding, poor story and repetition of XII ruined it for me. At one point i felt like doing office work over XII.

I like XII as much as I do X, I think, although it's of course quite different to other installments, due to the lack of random battles. I still think it's fun though, and I think some people don't like it just because they didn't allow themselves to become used to the game.

edit: Just realized I already posted in this thread. :/

Last edited:
XII beats X in every department.Well not in every but still nothing in X is better than XII.

Story is equally good in both. In X story is good but some of the characters are too annoying and XII has great cast of characters but story is bit lacking.

I had more fun in XII and with its large dungeons and with entertaining sidequests while X sidequests are mostly boring and dungeons are too short. And monster-types are too same. Nothing but lizards, wasps and flans. XII doesn´t so great monster difference either but still much more variety in monsters than X.

Oh well maybe in musics FFX beats XII. There are not many good tunes in XII. X on the otherhand had many good songs.

In battlesystems licence board beats sphere grid. I know it is stupid that you can´t wear a hat if you don´t enough points but still it was nicer to have much more directions to go, where as sphere grid had too many shitty nodes in a row.

Why was this thread made, everyone nows 10 was heaps better than 12 but 12s still a good game.

Because, believe it or not, people actually might have different opinions! And they do. So that's why this thread was made.

Because, believe it or not, people actually might have different opinions! And they do. So that's why this thread was made.
but as you know, your opinion is wrong:P

In X story is good but some of the characters are too annoying and XII has great cast of characters but story is bit lacking.
Learn to differentiate between voice actors and characters, because the bland stupid pathetic useless characters of FFXII are nowhere near as good as the characters of X.
The story for XII was not as entertaining or exciting as that of X, the story just wasn't as good. And please don't say 'but XII is more mature' because it isn't, having a story which is slightly political isn't mature.

In battlesystems licence board beats sphere grid. I know it is stupid that you can´t wear a hat if you don´t enough points but still it was nicer to have much more directions to go, where as sphere grid had too many shitty nodes in a row
If you took it off beginner and set it on advanced, you'd realise that it is a lot better.
I didn't really like the license board. It was too big, most of the stuff you don't need. I'd have prefered more augmentations and less of the weapons that no one uses. Did anyone even use those handbomb things?

Don't get me wrong, I like FFXII, but it is not as good as FFX.

Back