FF Music Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Music?

Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Music?

• Final Fantasy I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy II

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Final Fantasy III

• Final Fantasy IV

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Final Fantasy V

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 38 19.2%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 27 13.6%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 42 21.2%
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Final Fantasy XV

• Others (please specify)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I really loved VIII's soundtrack. Although X probably has the most memorable and technically great pieces. Aerith's theme from VII always makes me want to cry though, it's so moving.

Xx..xX

Hard to say. 3 songs stick out to me and they're in 3 different games XD.

- Melodies of Life from FFIX

- Zanarkand theme from FFX
- Aeris' theme from FFVII

Melodies of Life is by far my favorite FF song. As for an overall soundtrack, it's personally a close call between VII and IX.
Nice list, IX was Uematsu's favorite work he did.
i think it's the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII if you ask me....
all the soundtracks from FFVII, CC ...they just rock!
I've only heard the OG soundtrack but heard good things about Crisis Core's OST
I really loved VIII's soundtrack. Although X probably has the most memorable and technically great pieces. Aerith's theme from VII always makes me want to cry though, it's so moving.

Xx..xX

that one is a tearjerker, classic track
sadto.gif

Don't we already have a thread like this?... :hmmm:

In case we don't, my favourite two would have to be X and VIII.

I love the variety of musical themes in X - the pieces which use Asian instruments, the bittersweet melody on the piano in To Zanarkand, the bittersweet and passionate movement of the strings in Suteki Da Ne, the serenity of Tidus' Theme and Forest of Macalania - and the power, followed by gentility and sorrow, in The Ending. Against those, you have those pieces which communicate urgency, like Assault, the pieces which produce energy, like the glorious Battle Theme, and the pieces which communicate joy and passion, like The Men Who Live for Blitz.

Here's hoping that's not too much of a jumble! :lew:

When it comes to VIII, the pieces which stand out are Fithos Lusec, Eyes on Me, Julia's Theme, the two Slideshow themes, Balamb Garden, Waltz for the Moon, Intruders, Fisherman's Horizon (loved this as soon as I heard it!), My Mind... Other pieces are extremely beautiful, like Roses and Wine, but they just don't hold the same meaning for me as the pieces in X.

I guess that's why X wins. It means a lot to me. :lew: The orchestral sounds also make for slightly more natural sounds and more sweeping movements.

Oh god, this is actually tough for me. I think it's the soundtrack from 9, because so many of the tracks are so similar to Melodies of Life, along with Not Alone (or similar name).

However, I think there are great songs in each game from FF5 onwards, with maybe 1 or 2 good songs before 5 (for me).

Don't we already have a thread like this?... :hmmm:

I looked and we do actually :lew:

Since the topic of the two threads are generally the same, I'm going to merge this thread into "Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Music?" (Threads Merged).

Eyes on me by Faye Wong from FF8 is the best in game music I've ever heard. I still have the OST for the whole of FF8 :D

X is my favorite soundtrack. To Zanarkand, a Fleeting Dream, Ending Theme, Tidus Theme, a Clash of Aeons, and the Hymms. Just about the whole soundtrack was great, although i do not like the Otherworld track at all, but thats my only big complaint.

EDIT: I think this thread should be stickied, the music has always been a major part of the FF series.

Last edited:
Its a tie between X and XII. There are some tunes, for example the music that plays in besaid in X and the main theme of XII, that I find myself occasionally humming to. To this day, I still occasionally hum to the battle arena theme from X. Overall, I thought all the music in both games was fantastic, and I can't really pick one or the other.

Nice list, IX was Uematsu's favorite work he did.

I've only heard the OG soundtrack but heard good things about Crisis Core's OST

that one is a tearjerker, classic track
sadto.gif
well....you can try out crisis core OSTs ...they are really awesome...for example try "price of freedom","under the apple tree","night of seclusion","moonlit wandering"

It's a difficult choice, but if I had to narrow it down, then FFVI and FFVII would be my favourite in terms of soundtrack. Coincidentally, they are also my favourite games in the series, so I am not sure, perhaps the soundtrack played a big role in that. I can't really choose though which of the two I like more. They both are filled with great upbeat battle songs, as well as slower soul-piercing emotional tunes.

:hmmm:

This is a bit of a toughie, but I'm probably going to go with Final Fantasy VI. There were so many tracks that I just enjoyed, such as "Tina", "Celes" "Aria de Mezzo Carattere", "New Continent, "Battle Theme", "The Decisive Battle", and many more. It's just such an emotional and profound game with great music to match it.

7 is the best overall I think. Out of all the other titles, it has the largest amount of memorable tracks. I bet right now if I listed some of the song titles (the fact that *I* can remember them is a testament to how memorable they are) you'd probably be able to replay them in your head! Let's try now!

JENOVA
One Winged Angel
Aeris's Theme
Boss Theme anyone?

But with all that said, Crisis Core is a very close second. Seriously, all the songs in that game were good, as was the game itself. I have no idea why it got so much hate. :<

Last edited:
7 is the best overall I think. Out of all the other titles, it has the largest amount of memorable tracks. I bet right now if I listed some of the song titles (the fact that *I* can remember them is a testament to how memorable they are) you'd probably be able to replay them in your head! Let's try now!

JENOVA
One Winged Angel
Aeris's Theme
Boss Theme anyone?

But with all that said, Crisis Core is a very close second. Seriously, all the songs in that game were good, as was the game itself. I have no idea why it got so much hate. :<
VII has some great tracks, my problem with is is the sound quality, out of all the soundtracks I think they need to remaster that one the most, it has a tinny sound to it.

I find it very difficult to pick a single game for its soundtrack. I've loved different pieces from all the different games. If I HAD to pick one game that stood out more due to the music I'd say X, just for the ending piece. That was one of the few video games that gave me a lump in my throat.

My love of certain tracks fluctuates a lot though. I've got the entire FF collection on my iPod so I'm always listening to the music of different games.

It was a tough call between FFVII and VIII for me, but VIII edges it.

I admit the following is a strange comment, but VIII's soundtrack seems a bit more human and lifelike - and yes, I'm aware this is only a game.

There are so many more memorable tracks in VIII, and they really capture the mood.

It really is hard to choose between FFVI and FFIX but i guess i just went ahead and chose VI. The music is so memorable and i still listen to the game's OST like everyday. I cant get enough of it.

Few of my favorites include:
  • Coin Toss
  • Celes theme
  • Terra theme

and many many more!

-Setz-

VII had the best music. it seemed every song used was perfectly fit for what was going on. it captured the emotion of the character and scene. the best songs i felt were arieth's theme and sephiroth's

It really is hard to choose between FFVI and FFIX but i guess i just went ahead and chose VI. The music is so memorable and i still listen to the game's OST like everyday. I cant get enough of it.

Few of my favorites include:
  • Coin Toss
  • Celes theme
  • Terra theme

and many many more!

-Setz-

Just about the whole thing is memorable. I had forgotten about the Coin song, I need to go back and listen to that. Hopefully if the game is remade SE will remaster the OST with real instruments.

It's quite a hard decision, tbh. VII, VIII and IX have my vote. IX was full of grandios pieces, that just beg to be played by a full orchestra. Arghhhh! I won't vote... yet.

Back