Watermarking your graphics

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Do you watermark your graphics? Place your username behind the text, place this forums link behind there maybe?

I've been considering this more and more lately - specially due some recent events. I rather it not be like a symbol as that's hard to prove.

Just would like to know who here does, and doesn't. :lew:

I only watermark my graphics when I upload them on deviantART. On forums, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

When mine start getting better I'll start watermarking them. I've already considered it. I just throw them up on dA and don't bother.

I don't do graphics, but I sprite and create pixels. But yes, I watermark it. Many, many people are very willing to steal graphics and sometimes make money off of it.

*my suggestion to everyone would be "watermark it!" ;)*

I only do graphics for forums sooo im cool... but i wouldnt be sure how i would watermark my work :/ wouldnt it ruin my work??

Ive done it once twice but i wopnt do it again. REason is if i have a nice sig i want people to see it how i want to see it.
SAve yer PSD's dutchy =(

I only do graphics for forums sooo im cool... but i wouldnt be sure how i would watermark my work :/ wouldnt it ruin my work??

They're just as easily stolen by random forum members than if you hosted it on deviantArt. And a watermark shouldn't ruin it unless you make it too visible. Just low opacity on overlay or something should work fine. And of course you can also make it a logo or something so it looks better than just text :P

Although one way to do it is to be sneaky and add in your name somewhere very very sly. Somehwere that no one could find unless they were told where it is. Somewhere only you know.

Well I always put my name on mine to begin with :P I've noticed a lot of people on this forum have quotes rather than name (which isn't bad). As long as it's noticeable but not too noticeable it wouldn't be bad.

Sometimes I put a small watermark on the bottom or top corner of the works I've done, enough that people know that they don't have permission to take or edit it freely but enough so that the piece isn't ruined by it. :wacky:

Of course, I make t-shirt designs for a local friend of mine, and I ALWAYS make a watermarked preview for her and get the money before I give her the original unwatermarked kind. Because scams where people sell work that they claim to be theirs sucks balls . :hmph:

I think I might just add in a line, or test it out on some sigs... :hmmm: I always put decorative text, so tugging "Gifted by Six" behind something shouldn't hurt xD I dunno though...

I do not usually, but when I craft an exceptionally fine piece of work I do so like to have people know who it is from. This way I can only take credit for the very well made pieces to boost my popularity and reputation as a GFX artist.

If I make a really serious piece of art(like something personal or something) then I don't really show it off, but if I do, I save the PSD. Well, I save all my psds, so even if it's just a sig, I have the psd to prove that I did make it.

But notlike someone can make money off of sigs, so I don't really watermark it all the time. xD

In a word: No. There are a few reasons.

The first, I don't really care if someone steals anything I make and claims it as their own. I know someone is using an Emma Watson signature I made ages ago but tbh, I'm not bothered about it at all really, and I can't be arsed chasing people down or worrying about it. :hmmm: That's just me though.

Also, I try to avoid adding text when I can anyway, so I don't want to add extra text to anything I make because it would kinda ruin it for me, IMO.

But the main reason is this: Most people download resources packs that have textures, renders, C4D renders, stock images etc etc. But I would bet that most of those same people (myself included) have no idea who made those resources, where they came from, who owns them or if they have permission to use them. Personally, I find it difficult to justify adding a watermark to anything I've made claiming it's mine when really, all I've done is arranged other people's work and added adjustments unless I know I have permission. For example, using deviantart stock and linking the owner to your work, which most of them ask for in my experience. I would just feel iffy about it.

Basically, for me, when I use the work of other people and don't properly credit it, I don't think I have the right to get annoyed when someone uses something I make without permission because I'm basically doing the same thing. :neomon: Kinda... mhm aha yeds.

They're just signatures at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Back