The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

Hmm. I first saw this film a few months ago (it was 50p on video in a charity shop- make of that what you will)
I didn't hate it, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. I think it worked if you ignored the whole title, and concentrated on the subtitle.

But- it was the thing that got my boyfriend interested in FF, because he went to see it in the cinema without ever playing a FF game, then he walked out of the cinema and bought FFVIII...cue me looking through his playstation games years later, starting to play FFVIII and never looking back!

I didn't really think this was a bad film at all, tbh. I thought it was pretty well done although it didn't have an FF feel to it at all. I thought the story and characters were decent enough and film was well done overall. Of course, I saw the movie ages ago when it was still in theaters and haven't seen it since. It was pretty good from what I remember though. xD

I remember watching it and at the time I hated it. I should probably watch it again because I was quite young at the time so I don't remember it much, but I disliked it so much after that film - it didn't feel like a final fantasy film.
So by that, it was awful, but I'd have to watch it again to judge it properly.

Hahaha...ha

I knew this type of thread existed. I haaated this movie and was quite upset when I finally saw it. No, I didn't think it was going to be relevant to any particular game in the series. However, I did hope for a final fantasy-esque title. What was delivered? Poo.

I think it was just so far off base from Final Fantasy's norm at the time that people just despised it unjustly. I don't love the movie, but at the time the graphics were the best anyone had seen. And, for a first attempt at CGI, it was very well put together. Sure, it wasn't the best movie ever, but I respect it for what it is. A solid first attempt at a full CG I movie for the creators of Final Fantasy. Plus, at the very least, it led to the creation of Advent Children, which I love.

If you were to take out the "Final Fantasy" part, then maybe it would've been a good film. However, it's only right for fans to assume there would be elements involved and it's no wonder a vast majority of them were very disappointed.

This movie has nothing to do with the Final Fantasy series :D and yeah i would like to pretend as this film never existed, All hail advent children!

Well okay, this movie actually was pretty decent movie, meaning that it's really not extremely bad to watch if you are looking it at the first time.

Mod Edit: Please be careful not to double-post. If you need to add to your posts, there is a edit button at the bottom. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a movie I liked, but to get to the point and pretend it never existed is kinda... o_O Then people are kinda exaggerating in my eyes. I mean... For one of the non-likers, I didn't really see any connection to the Final Fantasy series, but I know a lot of FF fans, that actually loved this movie. My uncle included.

I mean... As long as I don't have to watch it over and over again, I'm fine knowing it exists. =]

The movie was pretty boring not cuz its not like final fantasy, its ER but in space,its a rip off of star trek,its lara croft but in space,ya i have plenty more ideas.I dont like how the characters die in the film cuz they have no development of their own character.

spirits within love or hate it?

The only thing I liked about this film was the graphics, they were awesome but I hated the storyline as I did not like it and understand it, so Im gonna say I HATED it! I prefered Advent Children alot more as it made sense! :nudge:

This is not directed at T.M.R.......

But how juvenile is this thread? the films existence does not hurt anyone...........Its just not a very well received film, and it does have excellent graphics and a convoluted storyline......but what else is new? that seems to be the way FF in general was headed.

FF is full of events that are beyond ordinary!

I think the story of Spirits within was quite good, it gave a different take on the Lore of FF origins, the existence of monster in a ghostly form, the result of a war fought long ago and the battle of the planet to eliminate and outside, negative influence.........

Sounds familiar to me.

I actually enjoyed this movie...I mean I was disappointed that it wasn't a continuance or anything of an already made one...but it was still alright nonetheless.

I absolutely hated this movie. It didn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy, if you ask me. There was no correlation to anything in the FF series, really. The storyline wasn't all that great either. The animations and that are cool, yeah, but the movie itself is a complete failure.

It's been awhile since i've seen this film, but i'd have to agree on this.
As a film it was pretty decent and I rather enjoyed it. As a Final Fantasy film it did everything wrong really, it just didn't have what most people were expecting.

But that's not to say I didn't wish it ever existed... actually. :hmmm:
As I said it was good in its own right so I guess that would make it a no for me really, I was just hoping for something more...Final Fantasy about it as opposed to what it was.

It's been ages since I watched this movie. I have it on Video so I could watch it any time really. I'm tempted to do so now just to refresh my memory. I remember not liking it the first time I watched it but can't remember why. As for it not being Final Fantasy, well, I know people who'd tell you straight up that Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII aren't Final Fantasy because they don't take place in medieval times like all the previous Final Fantasy before them and that IX was the last "true" Final Fantasy game created. Since it seems every Final Fantasy tries to be a different story with it own unique universe, whilst keeping some "trademark" elements I've come not to expect anything too "specific" from anything under the name "Final Fantasy." Though by everything I can figure this movie would have greatly benefited by just being called "The Spirits Within."

The CGI were amazing of course. I remember that much.

To be completely honest, it wasn't that bad of a movie really... But it felt nothing like a Final Fantasy installment...

It had nothing in it that really felt like it was apart of the magic the Final Fantasy series could capture... It seems kind of like a completely wasted idea, since thats what they were going for...

That and it was extremely hard to stay interested in, or take seriously.

I actually like the film it has nothing got to do with the Final Fantasy series but it was still good. The first time I saw the film I was really excited I thought there was going to be magic sword's and summon's but I was very disappointed but because am a big fan of the Final Fantasy series I immediately expected those thing's from it. It's not really a Final Fantasy film but it's still good.

Back