Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
We're soon getting the first part of the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but today I saw some fantastic fan artwork by David Ardinaryas Lojaya which imagines what character renders for an FFVI Remake might look like.

ETpQrXuUMAUXNs4
ETpQrX3U4AA15sZ
ETpQrXyUYAEBu8K
EUC7D26UUAAwZbY

I thought they were stunning and it got me thinking.

I know there are a lot of people on here against the idea of remakes as an approach, and would rather see Square Enix focus on original projects going forward. So, I ask, what would your opinions be on a remake for Final Fantasy VI? Do you think the game would benefit from receiving the same treatment which Final Fantasy VII has received? Would much need to be changed?

It is an unlikely prospect, but one worth imagining at the very least.

Besides the Locke look, they paint him to much rouge playboy like. I do like the rest of the others, giving Sabin the beard is kinda funny as well but I can see it fitting. Honestly since ff6 is one of my favorites I would love seeing a modern look like the ff7 remake.

If they could remake some of the other series as serious as they're taking the FF7 Remake I don't think I would mind them remaking a few of these, FFVI in particular. Not to imply that they wouldn't... but I would think it would be a huge waste if they spat some of these out 'quickly' because of how well FFR does (or something like that).

I beat VI sometime late last year (fairly recently to this post) for the first time ever and really enjoyed this game. Kefka is such an iconic villain! But I also really enjoyed how this game had no real 'main' character - they were all important! I think remaking this game would be a refreshing addition to the gaming community, especially for people who haven't played or experienced it or any other FF titles. I think from a visual standpoint this game would be fairly beautiful as well.

The artist did a beautiful job on their version of a remake render :lew: But I agree, Locke looks a little odd. He looks like a Disney character, like maybe Flynn Rider from Tangled. I like Sabin's beard though, I think it makes him more distinguished - Actually I like all of their hair styles!

Yeah. :D
I definitely get Disney vibes from the Locke piece. It's the same style of smile and face that you might expect from Disney's recent computer animated hits. A lot like Flynn Rider, to be sure. Then again, I guess that fits Locke's character. It just seems less 'realistic' than other other three, but I do like them all.

I think FFVI is a great game which suffers precisely because it is 2D and never received even a DS-standard 3D remake. It really does put people off. It baffles me why that should matter as I played the 2D games for the first time after playing all three PSX-era games (Final Fantasies VII through to IX) and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

I'm trying to imagine quirky characters like Cid in high definition though...
latest

That would be a fun one to render!

I would love to see a FF6 Remake, I wish they keep the original Kefka's laugh :)
This FF has a great story and I love the Esper/Magic system

I'm currently replaying it, the only point maybe to improve is the utility of big magics. Near the end you learn all big spells : Flare, Pearl, Meteor, Ultima, Merton, Flood. But once you get Ultima you only spam this one and don't use the other spells. You get Merton after Ultima and finally don't use it because it's an unfocused attack dealing damages to both enemies and your party. Unless all your chicks have a fire shield to absorb they just get grilled by the spell which is not dealing more than Ultima, even less.

The artist behind the above images has now created an alternative shirtless form for Sabin.

EUSGiWDU8AUSLzp

As for Duhemsounds' point about the magic system in the original FFVI, I'm wondering whether a remake of the game might fix that or if the issue would be worse. We'll have to see how magic in the FFVII Remake works in the mid or late sections of the game to see whether the game gives you good reasons beyond aesthetics to use different spells instead of just spamming the core attack buttons. Hopefully it'll be balanced out nicely and the same could therefore be done on a speculative FFVI remake.

I still don't think we're likely to see a remake for this game, but this thread is for our dreams and imagination!

His Locke Cole is giving me some huge Eugene/ Flynn Rider vibes from Disney's Tangled there.

Edit: He's a big Disney fan! Thought so. It looks like he got some inspiration for his version of a remake Locke. Also his Li Shang, Aladdin, and Hercules? Wow. Never had crushes on Disney characters before! So this is what it feels like!

Last edited:
at this point, i dont trust SE to make a faithful remake. they will most likely anime it up and water down the emotional scenes.

A bit late to the thread, but I came across this video recently and thought some may find it interesting. Here, Yoshitaka Amano's artwork has been animated in the battle sequence. Personally, I don't think a remake is necessary - sometimes things are better left as they were, but something like this would be interesting... if not for a VI remake then for another project.

The modern Square Enix approach to remakes appears to be serial flanderisation and the creation of fairly needless extraneous content in hopes of forging a new sub-series. As much as I'd love to see the cast and the world in realised 3D, I'll just be wishing for a monkey's paw at this point.

I think the safest route should be something on a lower budget and which gives the game an actual definitive version. The GBA version is only really accessible through emulation and has its own issues (namely audio quality). The PS1 version is subject to questionable translation and hobbled by lengthy load times. We don't even need to bring up the visually atrocious iOS and Steam versions. I don't yet know if the Pixel Remaster version also for mobile and PC platforms will be any good.

So ideally if they were to remake it, go for an HD-2D look like with Octopath Traveler - or more ideally, Dragon Quest III. Just please please please tone down the hideous bloom, dial down the blurriness and steady on with the vignetting.

A bit late to the thread, but I came across this video recently and thought some may find it interesting. Here, Yoshitaka Amano's artwork has been animated in the battle sequence. Personally, I don't think a remake is necessary - sometimes things are better left as they were, but something like this would be interesting... if not for a VI remake then for another project.

This looks frankly incredible. I'd love to experience something like this as a piece of art. A great way of showcasing Amano's art.

While wonderful in concept, I doubt it would be possible to execute the entire game in that style. It would work well enough for the main characters in battle, as well as some of the monsters, but they'd run out of artwork eventually. And story scenes would be quite impossible in most cases. Amano would need to draw the opera scene and everything.

But it would be a wonderful thing to behold if it was to exist.

I agree, though, a remake isn't strictly necessary.

I think the safest route should be something on a lower budget and which gives the game an actual definitive version. The GBA version is only really accessible through emulation and has its own issues (namely audio quality). The PS1 version is subject to questionable translation and hobbled by lengthy load times. We don't even need to bring up the visually atrocious iOS and Steam versions. I don't yet know if the Pixel Remaster version also for mobile and PC platforms will be any good.

So ideally if they were to remake it, go for an HD-2D look like with Octopath Traveler - or more ideally, Dragon Quest III. Just please please please tone down the hideous bloom, dial down the blurriness and steady on with the vignetting.

I would also be okay with this. A definitive version of FFVI which combines the best aspects of all of the released versions of FFVI. Though I do believe that the Pixel Remaster is aspiring to be just that (with enhanced visuals to bring out aspects which were intended but never possible to see before, and so on). With the changes to the soundtrack to make it sound more orchestral and fully developed, I am very curious (and cautious) to hear how the opera sounds. The HD-2D look would be cool though. I can imagine exploring the Narshe Mines (for example) with that style would work wonderfully and everything would feel more alive.

Don't forget we got the CGI opening and closing cinematics for the PS1release!:
I think the visuals from this are spot on! Especially consderign the time it was made!

As for a remake... I think S-E have already been too indulgent with FF7R, I need to be convinced by new entries into the series after the train wreck which was XV. I still would like a better port, the PS1 version is still the way to go for me but as mentioned the loading times can test your patience! I still don't like the new localisation to the GBA version. I haven't seen the Pixel Remaster version of VI yet but I wasn't convinced from what I saw of FF3.

TBH I really would love for a remake of 6. One being it is my most favorite of the series of the legacy series now. I grew up with it, knowing it as FFIII because I was a small kid not knowing any better so i just thought that was the number for the longest time same with it being FFII for 4 on the SNES in the U.S.. Later I learned the proper numbers but anyways I have been waiting forever for a proper remake, not just a remaster with some updated graphics. Like honestly i would love it to happen to all of the legacy Final Fantasy games 1-6. They really do deserve one for all.

Also just a favorite photo of Locke x Celes.

Attachments

• Final.Fantasy.VI.full.3465849.jpg
    Final.Fantasy.VI.full.3465849.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
TBH I really would love for a remake of 6. One being it is my most favorite of the series of the legacy series now. I grew up with it, knowing it as FFIII because I was a small kid not knowing any better so i just thought that was the number for the longest time same with it being FFII for 4 on the SNES in the U.S.. Later I learned the proper numbers but anyways I have been waiting forever for a proper remake, not just a remaster with some updated graphics. Like honestly i would love it to happen to all of the legacy Final Fantasy games 1-6. They really do deserve one for all.

Also just a favorite photo of Locke x Celes. TBH i like them more together and figure Edgar fits better with Terra lmao

Agreed on Locke x Celes. They are the natural couple. Locke let go of his former flame (ha) Rachel during the Phoenix magicite incident, and that freed his heart to be with Celes.

On Edgar x Terra, though, I'm less convinced. From Edgar's perspective, I'm certain he'd love it. But Terra doesn't seem to be interested in that (for her, her sense of love and family is the love she found for the children at the orphanage: the love of being a mother). That doesn't need to conflict with a relationship with Edgar, of course, but I didn't read any real feelings from her towards him in the game. There's a thread debating Terra's potential love interests (or not) here.

While on the subject of fanart and imagining a remake, this might be one of my personal favourites for FFVI. It is a portrait of Edgar and Sabin outside Figaro Castle in the style of an official portrait (aged cracks and all). It is the sort of background detail you'd expect from a remake, hanging on a wall somewhere in a gallery in Figaro Castle.

24911886e4fb1166ad4f8f7290b15cb1--final-fantasy-vi-fantasy-series.jpg

(Artwork by Elizabeth Sherry)

Back