I SERIOUSLY misunderestimated this game

Killer64

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I continued working on FFVIII last night and got to Esthar on the 3rd disc. After seeing Esthar, it showed me how HUGE and incredible this game is for the time it was created. About the only thing I remember from FFVIII when it came out was watching the final battle with Ultimecia, not much in the core of the game itself. I also researched FFVIII and noticed that this game is under rated in the shadow of FFVII, and I believe those who say FFVIII sucks either have never played it before or just can`t appreciate the calibre of greatness that this game really is. As an end note, just think. How many games have you played that actually convinced you to WANT to keep playing instead of pushing and working hard to beat them?

Welcome to the ranks of the FFVIII lives in the shadow of FFVII soldiers. I defend this games awesomeness because it is just that. It's so underestimated by others. I bet if like, Quistis or Selphie died in the game it would be as big as VII too :mokken:

Even so though it still holds up with enough emotion...I love you for loving FFVIII Hooray!

Yeah VIII is my favourite, or at least a joint top with IX.

I must say I agree about it being overshadowed by VII, yet as Ii like VII too it's not such a problem for me. I do however see your point, as most people will rave about VII, and have either not played VIII and assumed it doesn't live up to VII, or have simply rushed it, and ignored the fact that VIII has some really nice hidden gems too.

I don't have anything against FFVIII...and I am glad no one died in this game.
It didn't need someone to die to make it perfect.Aeris dying in FFVII didn't make FFVII the game it is anyway.That's a mischaracterization of why people like the game.It has nothing to do with a favorite character's death.
It has more to do with Cloud's popularity as a hero and Sephiroth's popularity a a villain.

One of the things I didn't like about FFVIII was Laguna's abandoning his girlfriend..Squall's mother.
I felt that was irresponsible and put him in a poor light.

Other than that I liked the game well enough.
I felt Squall would have been better off with Quistis as well.But otherwise it was a good game and underrated.

FFVIII is a great game!

Held apart from FFVII its holds its own, it just when you start to compare the various aspects of the 2 games is where FFVIII falls behind but not by much, and lets face it FFVII has had a hell of alot more exposure than VIII, so just because its shadow is bigger does not mean its not as good.

The individual aspects I mentioned include things like Villains vs Villains and story comarison, I would have thought fans would rave about the story in FFVIII vs the convoluted and often times confusing story in FFVII.

And Sephiroth vs Ultimecia is another slot VIII loses to VII they are just not of the same calibre and Ultimecia is not aswell recieved as Sephiroth who is as big as the whole of FFVIII to some people, as in he overshadows the entirety of FFVIII.

Character cast of both games are different in the 2 games IMO FFVIII has more realistic characters than VII and not just because of there design, FFVII characters are presented up until AC as cartoonish type chracters with incredible powers, the characters in FFVIII some freaky abilities but they more realistic than VII( yeah sure, because you see a lot of people riding there Dog through space to hit enemies, obviously I mean Wishing Star)

I quarantee you the bigger world of FFVIII would be as, if not more accomplished if SE were to produce it as much as they have(and possibly will continue to) produce FFVII
titles!

Last edited:
I also researched FFVIII and noticed that this game is under rated in the shadow of FFVII, and I believe those who say FFVIII sucks either have never played it before or just can`t appreciate the calibre of greatness that this game really is. As an end note, just think.

Because there is absolutely no way possible that someone could just dislike this game because they didn't enjoy it, right? :dave:

How many games have you played that actually convinced you to WANT to keep playing instead of pushing and working hard to beat them?
I've played many games like that. And actually Disk 2 on FFVIII made me want to put the game down and never pick it up again.

That being said, I didn't hate this game but it certainly isn't my favorite FF game. The story was decent though it dragged at parts. Rinoa was easily the most annoying character I've ever come across; the damsel in distress card was far too much in this game. Also the game was way too easy.

It was better than X though. :andry:

ive never understood the whole thing about rinoa always being in trouble. It never once bothered me at all.
I wouldnt say the games underrated, it gets a lot more stick that the previous title but i think its brilliant.
Tia you dont like X?
I thought you were cool :hmph:

I didn't enjoy this game much at all. Even when it first came out, just like FFVII, I didn't like it. At least it was an improvement over FFVII... Too bad it's still inferior to FFIX. :griin:

ive never understood the whole thing about rinoa always being in trouble. It never once bothered me at all.
I wouldnt say the games underrated, it gets a lot more stick that the previous title but i think its brilliant.
Tia you dont like X?
I thought you were cool :hmph:

That was a low blow. :hmph:

And well, I didn't hate X either but I didn't like it all that much. It had it's good points (of which Blitzball definitely wasn't one of them).

As for the whole Rinoa thing, damsel in distress situations have always bugged me. Especially when it's done in excess. I think if it had been once or twice, it wouldn't have annoyed me as much but five times was too much. :lew:

I never really came into FFVIII with any expectations. Sure I'd watched my mother play FFVII, then when FFVIII came out I thought I'd give it a try myself. I fell in love but never really understood the story (I was only 8 after all) until I went back and replayed the game a year or so back. It's my tied favourite (with VI) but it does deserve more attention than it gets. There's a reason they used the dancing scene with Squall and Rinoa for a PS2 tech demo (or at least that's what I believe :P)

I like it. I think it stands pretty well with the other great FF's, personally. The only think that irritated me was the naivety of the story and how it rushes really quick through certain parts of the game, making you feel like you missed something even though you got it all lol.

I love FF8 too, since I first played it. I'd played 7 before that, but not liked it enough to beat it (have since then though).

The thing I think is the most interesting is that people complain about the characters and their actions and that makes me go what? So Rinoa is whiny? Well, she's a TEENAGER. Welcome to what we do best, whine. And most of us don't even half the world trying to kill us because we are perceived as a threat to the world.

I mean, the characters were so realistic, especially for the ages they were. They weren't selfless and noble, they were people. It always bugs me that people use that as counter argument to the greatness of the story.

And it does have holes, so does every other Final Fantasy ever made. So that's hardly a point against it either. :busta:

Anyway, sorry, I get all a fluster when topics about FF8 are in the air...

VIII has its flaws, but it's an amazing game in its own right. VII was the game that got me hooked, but if I'd played VIII first I bet it could have done the trick too.

I think VIII is an amazing game personally, sure the Junction system isn't to everyone's tastes and neither is the story. To each their own.

When I first saw Esthar I was quite shocked at the difference compared to everywhere you'd been beforehand. It was like O-kay, this is quite a change.
I liked it though, although when I was trying to track Lunatic Pandora down on my first run I found it to be VERY confusing navigating throught there.

It's a great game though, I'm not sure if i'd say it was overshadowed by FFVII though. Then again, it probably is.

I continued working on FFVIII last night and got to Esthar on the 3rd disc. After seeing Esthar, it showed me how HUGE and incredible this game is for the time it was created. About the only thing I remember from FFVIII when it came out was watching the final battle with Ultimecia, not much in the core of the game itself. I also researched FFVIII and noticed that this game is under rated in the shadow of FFVII, and I believe those who say FFVIII sucks either have never played it before or just can`t appreciate the calibre of greatness that this game really is. As an end note, just think. How many games have you played that actually convinced you to WANT to keep playing instead of pushing and working hard to beat them?

Funniest part of what you said is that I remember a bunch of kids in middle school (around 99) who were using the computer lab to pirate a copy of VIII during lunch when the lab guy wasn't there. I remember walking up to them and saying "why isn't Cloud on the cover of this one? Did he die or something? I'm not playin some sequel with this wannabe." And totally walked off disappointed that SE killed Cloud. Boy if I were to choose my stupidest moment, that'd be it.

So ugh... yeah. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

I think that VIII is a great game and it has a few flaw's but no game's perfect. Estar was a nice surprise in the game and the flashbacks left you wondering which was great. VII is my favorite but VIII is just as good as VII but it is still underrated by most people

I really enjoyed playing it a 2nd time. It was so forward thinking (blogs, online tutorials). I just wish the game had been longer & there were more places in the southern continent.

Back