Hardest Boss in the Final Fantasy Series...

So far, i would say Ozma. I'm still trying to defeat that weird entity. And i probably will, after i complete the Excalibur II rush in IX.

I signed up PURELY to reply to this ridiculous thread, I mean seriously.. Have ANY of you even cleared final fantasy 10 fully? Honestly? I'm betting a lot of money you havn't because Penance is by far the hardest boss in FF history. I have played every single one from start to finish including all secret bosses etc - My favourite is 7 for obvious reasons but Ruby and emerald are nothing in comparison to the insta-gib abilities of penance.. I'm betting you lot you justed wakizashi on all the dark aeons and thought they were weak - try it without yojimbo, I did and it was SO much more fun.. Then when I defeated the last one and penance rose up from the gorge in the calm lands I knew I was in for a real challenge, first time I fought him he did every status effect under the sun on 2 of my characters, sure as hell wasn't expecting that - but with perseverance and the right item setup for the job (And maxed out expert sphere grids with every sphere used.) I finally took him down.. Penance, the hardest boss in FF history - and only Lord_Gel seems to of actually fought him along with me.

People saying yunalesca, I pity you.. That really was not hard, by anyones standards.. Ever.

By the way never going to read replies so before you reply, go play FF10 - kill penance and all the dark aeons (Without yojimbo) then come edit your posts..

You know...for one there are a lot of people here who are Americans and we don't get the options in our FFX game to play the UK version and fight against the Dark Aeons or Penance for that matter.

Another thing, you REALLY need to not bash people's opinions just because they found one boss harder than what you did. It's not their fault that a boss may be harder than you claimed it was for you. It doesn't make you a better gamer, and I'll thank you not to bash members for it in the future.

I despised the Sanctuary Beast. The sheer arsenal of moves that boss had killed me for hours! Curse got rid of my and my aeons Overdrives, and then it healed itelf with Curaga and Regen, and buffed itself. Hell.

Well i find Dark Anima pretty tough, i find him tougher then the Magus sisters because i can split them up and take them down one by one, but Anima was a true pain to defeat.

In terms of storyline bosses it's hard to say really i had some troubles with Matius or whatever he's name is in FFXII two days ago, but since it's the first time i'm playing the game that can be explained lol.

If i have to choose a boss that isn't optional. I'd say from FFX, when you fight Seymour in Mt.Ronso (is it Mt. Ronso? I havn't played that game in years), but i did have alot of trouble with this one. I was happy when I finally killed that guy.

but as far as optional... I'd have to say either Ozma or Omega Weapon. I havn't got as far on FFX to fight Pennance yet. Maybe one day I'll play that game again. I love really hard optional bosses, It's the reason I still play my old Final Fantasy games, I have to conquer them all.

I still have to play FF12 too. :)

wow yunalesca was so easy and so were the weapons in ff7 (i didnt use kotr or caitsith or vincent) ozma was hard but really the hardest had to be velius from fft unless you just spammed holy on him yaizmat wasnt hard he just was a pain cause of so high hp all you have to do is reverse or something i forget what its called on everyone and berzerk 2 people and keep control of 1 just incase

Beating a boss is hugely reliant on game mechanics, summons, spells, limit breaks and so on. Somone like Ozma would be much easier to beat imo if he was in a different FF.

The two bosses i've never beated in a FF game is Emerald Weapon (FF VII) and Omega Weapon (FF VIII).

I've heard there are ways, that it takes certain spells, characters and so on to beat these two bosses, but again...it depends on the game and what is accessible to the player to exploit.

Well i find Dark Anima pretty tough, i find him tougher then the Magus sisters because i can split them up and take them down one by one, but Anima was a true pain to defeat.

In terms of storyline bosses it's hard to say really i had some troubles with Matius or whatever he's name is in FFXII two days ago, but since it's the first time i'm playing the game that can be explained lol.

Lol, Dark Anima was hard, I found Dark Yojimbo hardest though, You have to fight him 5 times, I got him in the end though! :)

The Hardest boss I ever came up against was Dark Bahamut on FF 4 GBA. I tried countless times to beat him. One thing that probably held me back was that the game all before that was so easy I hardly did ANY leveling and just teleported out of most battles. To be clear this is the hardest battle I have beaten, and I never would have had the patience to do it had I not been playing on an emulator because there are no save points near him from what I can remember. The hardest boss I have engaged but not been able to beat is Lunar Odin of the same game. May his Zantezetsugen forever rot in his own circle of Hell!

Can we try to elaborate on our posts a little more people, tell us what was difficult about these particular guys. Thanks

emerald weapon indeed. I never could beat that SOB. storyline boss I am going zeromus (hard version) was always a pain beating him.
hardest enemy I am going yan from ff9 it could beat you down hard. and you always lose atleast one character. beating a team of three required two characters that could hit them all for 9999 damage. and then you still had to deal with their strength.

Last edited:
I, like someone else in this thread, have only signed up to express how wrong most of you guys are... penance was far too easy, not a challenge at all, i could rape ruby weapon with my eyes shut but by far the hardest boss in any FF is in FF7 right at the beginning when you fight the guard scorpion... took me at least 30+ attempts to kill that bad boy. 2nd hardest boss is probably the last sephiroth fight when you have to use a limit break... took me hours to work that out and when i did work it out it used a move I didn't even have... I mean omnislash but cool but it's no cross-slash... I mean that move was insane.

There's my thoughts... hope you guys have now seen the light on what a tough boss constitutes.

Omega Weapon from FFVIII -__-

Without holy wars the battle is epic fail. He uses so much powerful spells and one-hit kills its almost agonizing. I never beat him, even with spamming Lionheart like 10 times. The video on youtube where some guy beat him in with one The End with Selphie made me cry after the 20+ times I tried to beat Omega. Its just a very devilish boss battle imvho.

I, like someone else in this thread, have only signed up to express how wrong most of you guys are... penance was far too easy, not a challenge at all, i could rape ruby weapon with my eyes shut but by far the hardest boss in any FF is in FF7 right at the beginning when you fight the guard scorpion... took me at least 30+ attempts to kill that bad boy. 2nd hardest boss is probably the last sephiroth fight when you have to use a limit break... took me hours to work that out and when i did work it out it used a move I didn't even have... I mean omnislash but cool but it's no cross-slash... I mean that move was insane.

There's my thoughts... hope you guys have now seen the light on what a tough boss constitutes.

Let's cut the attitude, okay. Just because you find a boss easy doesn't mean every one else does. You don't need to tell people that they're wrong or that you are "shining light" on what constitutes a hard boss. Thanks.

Back