George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Just finished Dance of Dragons!
I got some theories and some suspicions about the whole saga.
I really don't think Jon died... Somehow he must have survived, because I think this whole saga will end up revolving around him.

Also, next season's trailer is out!

I've been reading through the series very slowly (unfortunately I don't have a lot of time on my hands these days) and while I think it is well-written and the overall story is interesting, it really does drag at some parts. The first book was great and really pulled me in. Clash of Kings was good at parts but dragged at parts. I'm about 70% done with Storm of Swords (according to my Kindle) and I have enjoyed it more than Clash of Kings though some of the characters still bore me and I find their chapters a chore to get through (Davos comes to mind immediately). Overall though, it's pretty good.

Also, was anyone else extremely happy
when Joffrey died?
He is honestly the most repulsive character I have ever encountered in fiction and that's saying a lot. I can't think of a single redeeming quality about him.

Oooh. I started this series over January and last week finished Dance of Dragons in two sittings. I find it very hard to set these books down.

Well, all of them except Feast for Crows. I found that dragged on a bit with
The Greyjoy chapters, Cersei and Brianne's chapters.
. Maybe it was simply following up Storm of Swords was just too hard.

One of the best points to these books are the numerous characters. I find they allow you to connect with several characters across all the sides. It's a lose-lose situation.

Though, Ilyena I like Davos as a character. I want more of his P.O.V. :lew: On the other hand, I find Danys P.O.V chapters disinteresting compared to others.

Lastly, on the topic of WINDS OF WINTER

I'm very sceptical about the latest goings on in the Watch. I don't believe Jon's been murdered... Why would his parentage be so important, if he was to be killed. I don't think he's a Targaryen either. Going with the assumption that Elia of Dorne was dark skinned/haired- and that her children had platnium hair. Seems to me that Platnium hair is a dominant gene.

Still, now for the long wait for Winds... :sad3:

i'll admit i jumped the bandwagon with this and didn't read the books until after season 3. i do think it's much easier to have seen the show before reading them as it lets you put a face to the names. people often say that it's difficult to keep a track of who everyone is, where they are and with whom their allegiance lies and i can understand that; even having read the books and seen the show i struggle a little with things like that from time to time.

i think the real power of the books is that there is such a large number of good characters. there aren't just two or three main characters with a supporting cast behind them; there are many strong characters who could all be considered leads and this really keeps the story going at a good pace.

i was left rather devastated when jon died in a dance with dragons. i had thought he was probably one of two characters who were immune to being killed off, but alas :sad3:

I finished reading A Dance with Dragons a few weeks ago finally and found myself indifferent with the story so far. The chapters have really died down a bit, which I feel is kind of a good thing and bad. I'm really excited about the Greyjoy family though, as well as Bran and Arya. And has Rickon fallen off the face of the planet or what? :lew:

Seriously can't wait for the next book. So many new characters got introduced, probably so they could get killed off in the final installments. I feel another storm of swords coming on in the future. XD

I'm not really worried about Jon's life being at stake to be completely honest. It's true George RR kills off important characters, he's also brought them back. Remember Brienne and Asha's chapters had a similar tone to Jons but they turn up alive and well later on. I totally thought Asha was a goner taking an axe to the face but apparently not. I feel like Jon will pop up somewhere later on. ^_^

Well, all of them except Feast for Crows. I found that dragged on a bit with
The Greyjoy chapters, Cersei and Brianne's chapters.
. Maybe it was simply following up Storm of Swords was just too hard.
I feel the same about FFC. Such a drag at times. All of the books so far I've read through very quickly but this one has literally taken me half a year to get through (A lot of reasons for this but being a drag is one of them haha). Down to the last 5 chapters and only now has Brianne's chapters started getting interesting...

I fully intend to blitz through DwD just as quickly as the other books, before the TV series starts showing DwD material. Which im sure it will towards the end.

I feel the same about FFC. Such a drag at times. All of the books so far I've read through very quickly but this one has literally taken me half a year to get through (A lot of reasons for this but being a drag is one of them haha). Down to the last 5 chapters and only now has Brianne's chapters started getting interesting...

I fully intend to blitz through DwD just as quickly as the other books, before the TV series starts showing DwD material. Which im sure it will towards the end.

Ahhh, yeah. Though... The Greyjoy stuff is interesting on second thought, imo.

But, if you're anything like me you'll blaze through DwD pretty quickly.

DwD is really good!

Then you can read the chapters of WoW that are already online!

Yeah I eventually got into the Greyjoy stuff by the end. I may have to go back and re-read though as (though it is pretty obvious anyway) they'll have a big part of what is to come, especially after reading the 'Alayne' chapter, and im sure a lot of it has gone over my head.

I can live without reading those already released chapters. I'll probably avoid them until I get to them during WoW. However there is the Dunk & Egg stuff and other little bits I haven't gotten around to yet.

I've had such a weird journey with this series. I bought the first book because I thought "What the hey? Everyone's talking about the show," but when I started reading it I just couldn't stand it. I never expected to like it off the bat, I mean it's an epic fantasy series, I knew I had to be eased in. But I read that entire novel and didn't enjoy a word. I just remember that I knew what was going on, but I didn't understand why I should care about these people, y'no?

My friend lent me the second book and I left it on my shelf to collect dust. One day my internet was down. I was so fed up of having nothing to do. Cressen's prologue was utterly engrossing compared to sitting on my sofa doing nothing. Now that Arya had cut her hair and was being all bad-ass (even though she always was) I was interested in her storyline, so I read along just for her. Found myself attached to Catelyn, then Sansa, and eventually even Tyrion, and I learned to love to hate Cersei. Isn't that weird? It took me a whole book to start to like it. And now I absolutely adore it, in a few short months I've made my way to the last book. I'm reading A Dance with Dragons now. In my opinion Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords were it's prime, but I'm still enjoying myself so much.

Back